Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Cool; I was kinda considering that.

A guy has an Aguilar GS410 locally at a really, really good price. So I think I'll just start with that.

I'll grab a VT pedal next, and THEN when I'm un-broke once again; look at new heads.

That's the route I'd take. I mean, you have a working head, it just happens to be attached to a speaker :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarf posted:

That's the route I'd take. I mean, you have a working head, it just happens to be attached to a speaker :)

Fair enough.

Will I get additional volume out of it with the additional cab? I'm not too well versed on how the whole expansion cab affects my ability to get some volume going.

The GS410 looks like a good option; 4ohm, good reviews, and the price on it is pretty ridiculous.

Thanks much for the help; I appreciate the insight a whole lot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Fair enough.

Will I get additional volume out of it with the additional cab? I'm not too well versed on how the whole expansion cab affects my ability to get some volume going.

The GS410 looks like a good option; 4ohm, good reviews, and the price on it is pretty ridiculous.

Thanks much for the help; I appreciate the insight a whole lot.

I'm not well versed on the physics behind it myself, but from what I understand: More surface area = more air moved. So yes, having a 410 instead of just a 115 should be louder.

Yeah, Aguilar stuff is quality. It should work out great. Deuce, you play through all Aggie stuff don't you?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You're not going to be able to run that 410 with your combo amp at the same time, unless you're able to disconnect the internal speaker. 4 ohms + 8 ohms in parallel is 2.667 ohms, which the amp probably can't handle.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

You're not going to be able to run that 410 with your combo amp at the same time, unless you're able to disconnect the internal speaker. 4 ohms + 8 ohms in parallel is 2.667 ohms, which the amp probably can't handle.

Yeah, that's why I suggested he talk to Acoustic. The documentation on the B200 isn't clear. It's already running 200w @ 4ohms, which is the minimum, so then why would they have an external speaker jack unless it automatically defeated the internal speaker?

It's weird... And apparently there are 2 versions of the GS410, an 8ohm and a 4ohm.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Now I'm pretty darn confused :(

I might grab the GS410 regardless because of the price. But I'm having trouble finding good documentation on the acoustic expansion cab situation too.

edit:
http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/sreply/9721/t/Wired-for-ohms.html

There's some actual info.

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 18, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Now I'm pretty darn confused :(

I might grab the GS410 regardless because of the price. But I'm having trouble finding good documentation on the acoustic expansion cab situation too.

edit:
http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/sreply/9721/t/Wired-for-ohms.html

There's some actual info.

Yeah, I found the same thing over at Talkbass through a quick search. A lot of the documentation on Musician's Friend and the like is mislabeled. The external jack is actually in series, not parallel. Meaning that if you were to add another 4ohm cabinet to the combo, the impedance would actually increase to 8ohms, lowering your overall power. However, because you'd be pushing more air with the extra speakers, it SHOULD be perceived as louder.

Find out if your buddy's cabinet is 4ohms or 8ohms. It can be kinda tricky to mix-and-match impedance levels with your cabs...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 18, 2011

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
That's kind of cool way of doing things, actually. I mean, it's nice to get the full power from the internal speaker and still have the option to add a cab later.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty dead set on jumping ship to go to Genz Benz though, unless Ampeg: 1) comes out with something that sounds even more amazing than the SVT, and 2) their prices drop like a ton of bricks...

Seriously, next time I'm in the market for an amp (which will be a while), I'm more than likely going to end up with a GB Streamliner or something similar.

The thing is, you don't need an Ampeg amp to get the "Ampeg sound" anymore. The guys at Tech 21 really nailed it with the VT Bass. Granted it won't give you the "feel" of blasting through a tube-amp, but dammit the tone is absolutely accurate.

I have a Genz Benz shuttle 9.0. Found it after jonsing for an ampeg. I don't even bother with the VT Bass pedal. It has a really powerful preamp section and gives me all the tube-y goodness I'd ever need. 4 LBs, 900 watts and fits in my cable bag. Love it.

Ed Friedland did a review of it. The review completely sold me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

I have a Genz Benz shuttle 9.0. Found it after jonsing for an ampeg. I don't even bother with the VT Bass pedal. It has a really powerful preamp section and gives me all the tube-y goodness I'd ever need. 4 LBs, 900 watts and fits in my cable bag. Love it.

Yeah, I mean, I already own a VT, so it'd essentially become yet another channel for the amp. I know a few guys on TalkBass use it with their actual SVT amps as a "channel select" instead of messing around with the dials on the amp itself.

And yeah, Ed is great. His review of the Streamliner 900 has me sold. Sounds incredibly warmer than the ShuttleMax amps.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I found the same thing over at Talkbass through a quick search. A lot of the documentation on Musician's Friend and the like is mislabeled. The external jack is actually in series, not parallel. Meaning that if you were to add another 4ohm cabinet to the combo, the impedance would actually increase to 8ohms, lowering your overall power. However, because you'd be pushing more air with the extra speakers, it SHOULD be perceived as louder.

Find out if your buddy's cabinet is 4ohms or 8ohms. It can be kinda tricky to mix-and-match impedance levels with your cabs...

The GS410 I'm planning to pick up is the 4ohm version.

Sooo I think I'm good to go.
I mean; the GS410 gives me a lot of headroom if it doesnt get me the volume I need out of the B200; I can always put a beefier head on it later; and I'd need a new cab regardless.

I'm going to pick up the 410 this Sunday and we'll see how it treats me :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

The GS410 I'm planning to pick up is the 4ohm version.

Sooo I think I'm good to go.
I mean; the GS410 gives me a lot of headroom if it doesnt get me the volume I need out of the B200; I can always put a beefier head on it later; and I'd need a new cab regardless.

I'm going to pick up the 410 this Sunday and we'll see how it treats me :)

Yup, should be all set. Just remember to connect it with a speaker cable and not a spare instrument cable you may have lying around.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarf posted:

Yup, should be all set. Just remember to connect it with a speaker cable and not a spare instrument cable you may have lying around.

:o

There's a difference? Thanks for the heads up. This is all new stuff to me :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

:o

There's a difference? Thanks for the heads up. This is all new stuff to me :)

Yup. Instrument cables are a lighter gauge and shielded. You can potentially damage the amp-head or at the very least melt the cable by using an instrument cable. They're designed to transmit signals from your instrument to the amp. Where they are then AMPLIFIED (hah, imagine that) thus needing a heavier gauge and no shielding.

Considering your amp is only 200w max, it PROBABLY wouldn't do much if any damage... but it's not something you want to make a habit of, therefore shouldn't start.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 18, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

Yeah, Aguilar stuff is quality. It should work out great. Deuce, you play through all Aggie stuff don't you?

Yup.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty dead set on jumping ship to go to Genz Benz though

Joinnnnn ussssss...

Speaking of Genz, I dig the concept behind their Uber cabs but the form factor doesn't really do it for me. I wish they could somehow take the Uber 410 with its massive excursion and turn it into a more vertically aligned cab like their Neo line.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Can anyone recommend a nice compressor for me to use with an Ashdown ABM? I know there's an onboard one but it's dropping my volume too much to be useful, so yeah. 1 space rack would be nice but if not I'm up for going pedal.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is a no-name (WEM Bass Dominator 2) 1970's tube amp (15" 16ohm 50w celestion) worth getting reconditioned? It's got a definite pop and crackle regardless of input, and the volume controls are all messed up (i.e. goes from a 1 to a 7 with a 5 degree turn, and anything above that sounds like a fart).

Thread says that older amps aren't magically better, if I went for a replacement I was thinking about a Marshall MB4410 ...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Is a no-name (WEM Bass Dominator 2) 1970's tube amp (15" 16ohm 50w celestion) worth getting reconditioned? It's got a definite pop and crackle regardless of input, and the volume controls are all messed up (i.e. goes from a 1 to a 7 with a 5 degree turn, and anything above that sounds like a fart).

Thread says that older amps aren't magically better, if I went for a replacement I was thinking about a Marshall MB4410 ...

What kind of tubes does it use?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Something like this? It might be good for recording, solo practice, and/or guitar use, but probably wouldn't be useful for live use involving drums. I'd get it checked out at least. It probably needs to be recapped (the crackle) and a tech will be able to tell you if there's anything else that needs to be done. My tech charges like $50 for a checkup, and unless there are major problems (output transformer, etc) it won't be expensive, so it's worth it as it's not really usable right now anyway.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What kind of tubes does it use?

If I'm looking at the right one, looks like it's got 2 EL84s and outputs about 15 watts.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's the exact amp, yes. Will I need new tubes? Google shopping says they're £50 each!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

That's the exact amp, yes. Will I need new tubes? Google shopping says they're £50 each!

You might. If you find a good tech he'll be able to test your current tubes and replace any that have gone bad. EL 84s are common tubes, though I'm not sure which preamp tubes it uses. It shouldn't be that expensive, though. In the US you can get a good pair of power tubes for $30. Like I said, though, get it checked out. It clearly has greater problems than a bad tube, and there's a chance you won't need to replace any or all of them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't know hell all about tubes but there's a roundup of types here
http://thetubestore.com/el84review.html

I had a quick look on google shopping for Sovteks and I can see them for 8 to 12 pounds for singles

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
My roommate noticed I play bass and told me he has one. He bought it about 10 years ago and never really learned how to play. He doesn't even have an amp. It's an Ibanez SR400. It still has plastic on some of the parts and the original strings. He said he bought it "because it looked cool".

I plug it into my amp and sure enough it only sort of works. One of the pickup wires has broken off and I'll need to solder it back on. The neck doesn't appear to be twisted. I was a bit worried since he's had it strung tight for about 10 years in storage. The action was no kidding about 3/4 an inch high from never being adjusted.

I doubt he'll sell it since he might only get $100 or so. I'm going to fix it up and have him loosen the strings for storage since he doesn't even know how to play. Maybe I'll buy it off of him. It sounds pretty good for a cheap bass. I've been playing nothing but fender J basses so I don't know much about other brands. Maybe I can use it to learn slap :v:

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Is this you playing, Scarf?

Did you come up with that line? It's a blast to play.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Is this you playing, Scarf?

Did you come up with that line? It's a blast to play.

Haha yeah, I made that a loooooong time ago as a sound-demo when I was selling my Tbird.

That's actually from the song Rocking Horse, usually played by Gov't Mule or Allman Bros. Band. Not sure if they really play it much now that Allen Woody is no longer with us. It is a pretty drat fun song, and figured it was appropriate given that it was a Tbird :)

Allen Woody was such a loving badass. Def. among my top influences, especially when it comes to my more rock/blues influenced stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpwzLfXqtTc - Rocking Horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3OwLV4s6PY - Nice little montage of his playing

Edit: And anyone interested in Allen Woody, or just bass in general needs to get the film "Rising Low" by Mike Gordon (phish's bassist): http://www.amazon.com/Govt-Mule-Rising-Matt-Abts/dp/B00006L921 Although the film does have a lot of Mike being Mike...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 22, 2011

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I started recording a song that I've been writing and for the heck of it, I decided to try using a Danelectro 65 reissue I bought about a year ago. Basically, one of these:

I slapped some LaBella flats on it and I was quite pleased with the sound. It sounds better than what I'd expect from such an el-cheapo bass.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I started recording a song that I've been writing and for the heck of it, I decided to try using a Danelectro 65 reissue I bought about a year ago. Basically, one of these:

I slapped some LaBella flats on it and I was quite pleased with the sound. It sounds better than what I'd expect from such an el-cheapo bass.

Yeah, I've got a Longhorn Reissue (one of the old ones) and I like it a lot. It's totally different from my P, and it does things you just can't do with any of the old standbys. I've got mine set up with Chromes with a piece of foam under the strings and it's pretty much Pet Sounds/Paul McCartney in a can.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

I love my La Bella flats. Didn't take them too long to "age" and get that nice flatwound growl. The tapewounds are great as well if you want something even smoother, relatively low-tension compared to stuff like the Roto TruBass88 tapes.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The tension makes them a bit more challenging to play. I wanted to do more of a 16th-note Paul Jackson type of thing, but flats seem to make you work a bit more than rounds.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

The tension makes them a bit more challenging to play. I wanted to do more of a 16th-note Paul Jackson type of thing, but flats seem to make you work a bit more than rounds.

See, I'm the opposite. I find flats (specifically higher tension ones) perfect for that type of stuff. The high tension combined with the smoother surface allows the pads of my fingers to slide off of the string easier after the pluck without the feeling of tugging or dragging the string along.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, anyone interested in some awesome 16th finger-funk, check out Rocco Prestia's work, particularly with Tower of Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZMwaVdeE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY2_cRLMbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFFhBrtVp8

I learned the glories of ghosting from Rocco. You should too.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I find flats (specifically higher tension ones) perfect for that type of stuff. The high tension combined with the smoother surface allows the pads of my fingers to slide off of the string easier after the pluck without the feeling of tugging or dragging the string along.

Totally agree. I've tried a few different strings but keep coming back to Chromes mostly due to the tension, even though I'm not totally in love with the sound on my Dano. Of course the scale length contributes to that as well. Actually I think I'm going to try some Roto 88s next. I had some on my P for a while, and the fact that they're bigger (.115 E) makes the tension about the same as the Chromes. I didn't end up liking them on the P because they are less "focused" and more "bloomy" compared to the Chromes, but I think that will actually be an asset on the Dano, which can get a little too "honky" with both pickups. Hooray for adjectives.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

Totally agree. I've tried a few different strings but keep coming back to Chromes mostly due to the tension, even though I'm not totally in love with the sound on my Dano. Of course the scale length contributes to that as well. Actually I think I'm going to try some Roto 88s next. I had some on my P for a while, and the fact that they're bigger (.115 E) makes the tension about the same as the Chromes. I didn't end up liking them on the P because they are less "focused" and more "bloomy" compared to the Chromes, but I think that will actually be an asset on the Dano, which can get a little too "honky" with both pickups. Hooray for adjectives.

Haha, as I've said multiple times before, I found them quite "woody." Definitely the most focused-sounding out of the tapewounds I've played. Warm but still have a very pronounced sound, maintaining distinctiveness in your notes. Granted, I never played the set long enough to let them age and hear how they sound...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 24, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Rocco owns. Funkifize is one of my favorite tunes to play ever.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
I'll break from the all the gear talk with a technique question.

I am working on right hand technique--floating my thumb, getting my speed up while maintaining even timing, better accent control, general efficiency of my plucking motion etc and what-not. My question is about raking: What is the general opinion on raking? Do the efficiencies make up for breaking the i-m-i-m-i-m rhythm (or the i-m-r-i-m-r rhythm for three fingered folks)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

I'll break from the all the gear talk with a technique question.

I am working on right hand technique--floating my thumb, getting my speed up while maintaining even timing, better accent control, general efficiency of my plucking motion etc and what-not. My question is about raking: What is the general opinion on raking? Do the efficiencies make up for breaking the i-m-i-m-i-m rhythm (or the i-m-r-i-m-r rhythm for three fingered folks)?

I think it depends on you.

I've talked to my bass teacher about this a whole good bit; and the conclusion is as long as you work both to a metronome, either can fly.

I personally rake a fuckload. It just works for me. But I spend time every single day working to a metronome too.

So what works for you?
(my opinion could be wrong)

SO, earlier this thread we were talking about amp/cabs for me to upgrade to from my acoustic B200.

I had looked at the Ampeg B2RE, and Ampeg 300H, and a whole bunch of other junk.

Ended up with:
Aguilar GS410 700W 4ohm Cab
Markbass Little Mark II 500W@4ohm Head.

Way overdid it for my skill level. Oops.

Now, if I wanted to save money on the guitar front; do you all think I could pipe a guitar head into the Aguilar cabinet and have it sound decent? Going to give it a whirl with a friends head this weekend anyways; but curious now. :)