Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
edit: ignore this please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Question about Titanium Backup: What happens if I lose my phone? I have the lockscreen on it but can they take out and read off my SD card?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

pretty sure anyone can put your SD card in anything and pull the data off.

as far as I know, Titanium doesn't do any encryption so maybe if you're paranoid you encrypt your SD card.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
My friend did temproot through VISIONary on his MyTouch 4g, and said he was able to remove the Amazon and Yahoo apps with another app called Root Uninstaller.

I tried following his steps on my MyTouch. But I unroot and everything comes back. Do I have to permaroot it? He said it did work for him on a temproot, but I have to see it to believe it.

And rooting scares me, do I even need to bother? His roommate said that uninstalling those running processes helped with speed and battery life. I think he is smoking crack.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kramdar posted:

I think he is smoking crack.

He is.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Maker Of Shoes posted:

He is.

But the root part, should he be able to remove those system apps with a temp root on the Mytouch?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kramdar posted:

But the root part, should he be able to remove those system apps with a temp root on the Mytouch?

Yes. Or they could be hidden with LauncherPro without needing root.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Gargladdy posted:

Thanks a ton for that link. It's a good starting point. I might wait for some more people to chime in before attempting this, in the meantime i'll be reading up

A lot of goons here use CM7 as their ROM, and CM is pretty well-known and respected in the rooting community.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Anyone got a decent kernel for the evo? Shopping around on Xda not many have been updated in over a month and the only one in the first five pages is rumored to gently caress up your battery or something.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

b0nes posted:

Question about Titanium Backup: What happens if I lose my phone? I have the lockscreen on it but can they take out and read off my SD card?

Lock screen isn't going to stop anyone from reading the data on your phone's internal or external SD Cards regardless of Titanium Backup.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Only problem I am having with CM7 RC1 for my Mytouch 4G is that my wifi isn't working. It will not connect to a network. It disconnects and then scans. Everything else seems to be working fine however.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Motorola Atrix 4G has been rooted.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root-now-possible

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The first official CM7 nightly for the Nook Color is out.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=encore

Note, you'll need to use this SD-bootable recovery since the current one doesn't support EXT4.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 19, 2011

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Kazy posted:

Note, you'll need to use this SD-bootable recovery since the current one doesn't support EXT4.

I tried it, it still has some market bugs and had trouble playing video. Great to play around with though. They're also supposedly working on getting bluetooth working.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Motorola Atrix 4G has been rooted.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root-now-possible

This warms my goony little heart

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Shame about that locked bootloader, that would be the phone of the year IMO if it was open.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

Shame about that locked bootloader, that would be the phone of the year IMO if it was open.

We can count on Motorola locking bootloaders until the end of time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

We can count on Motorola locking bootloaders until the end of time.

The original Droid was so perfect in every way for what it was and when it came out. I don't know why Motorola would purposely lock the bootloader when they're the only ones doing it like that. Regular people aren't going to know enough to root their phone and gently caress with the bootloader, and nerds like us are just going to avoid their poo poo because of this whole fiasco.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

The original Droid was so perfect in every way for what it was and when it came out. I don't know why Motorola would purposely lock the bootloader when they're the only ones doing it like that. Regular people aren't going to know enough to root their phone and gently caress with the bootloader, and nerds like us are just going to avoid their poo poo because of this whole fiasco.

Despite the Droid being an amazingly perfect phone I'd wager that it was the reason Moto locked poo poo down. It was absurdly popular in the aftermarket community next to HTC and that probably freaked them out. OH DEAR GOD THEY ARE IN OUR PHONES!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kazy posted:

Does it have any form of soft keys built in or do I need to install something from the market?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Casao posted:

Does it have any form of soft keys built in or do I need to install something from the market?

It has some soft keys in the status bar, but you'll still need to use something for when apps go fullscreen.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Finally took the plunge and rooted my MyTouch Slide (HTC Espresso). I followed this incredible tutorial, which is clear, concise, and complete:

http://richard.gluga.com/2010/08/complete-guide-to-rooting-and-hacking.html

(It should be added to the first post.)

Maybe now I'll try CM7, but so far, CM6.11 is fine. I'm just happy to be rid of the beast that is HTC Sense.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ryangs posted:

Finally took the plunge and rooted my MyTouch Slide (HTC Espresso). I followed this incredible tutorial, which is clear, concise, and complete:

Maybe now I'll try CM7, but so far, CM6.11 is fine. I'm just happy to be rid of the beast that is HTC Sense.

I did this with the GF's Slide and it's actually a phone now. There were days where I feared I wouldn't wake up because she bludgeoned me to death with it but now she loves her phone. CM was the best thing to ever happen to the Slide.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Do y'all expect a non-Gold card way of rooting the HTC Inspire to come to light? XDA is not really agood resource for this answer.

I just got the phone this week, but the method to root at the moment is a bit daunting, even for a nerd like myself.

If not, I will bite the bullet and try to root my phone the way they do already. I really just want WiFi tethering.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Do y'all expect a non-Gold card way of rooting the HTC Inspire to come to light? XDA is not really agood resource for this answer.

I just got the phone this week, but the method to root at the moment is a bit daunting, even for a nerd like myself.

If not, I will bite the bullet and try to root my phone the way they do already. I really just want WiFi tethering.

If it's that daunting then just buy a non root tethering app like PDAnet.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

ryangs posted:

CM 7 for the slide may yield broken wifi and gps. Be warned.

EDIT: Does anyone have the following files in their etc or system/etc directory on their slide?

T-Mobile_USA_Root_CA.der
T-Mobile_USA_Intermediate_CA_01.der
T-Mobile_USA_Issuer_CA_01.der
T-Mobile_USA_Issuer_CA_02.der

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 19, 2011

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Sizzlechest posted:

CM 7 for the slide may yield broken wifi and gps. Be warned.
So I heard. Fingers crossed that this will be resolved by 7.0-final. Although it seems like some people have been able to fix this by re-flashing the latest radio version, even if they were already on it.

quote:

EDIT: Does anyone have the following files in their etc or system/etc directory on their slide?

T-Mobile_USA_Root_CA.der
T-Mobile_USA_Intermediate_CA_01.der
T-Mobile_USA_Issuer_CA_01.der
T-Mobile_USA_Issuer_CA_02.der

They are not on mine, post-root. What might they be useful for?

ryangs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 19, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

ryangs posted:

They are not on mine, post-root. What might they be useful for?

Someone mentioned that by modifying the gps.conf to add entries for those files, they were able to fix their GPS problems. However, if the files aren't there, I don't see how it will help.

The compass, speed, etc. functions work, but it can't determine the latitude and longitude for some reason. I'm wondering if a settings tweek will fix it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Sizzlechest posted:

Someone mentioned that by modifying the gps.conf to add entries for those files, they were able to fix their GPS problems. However, if the files aren't there, I don't see how it will help.

The compass, speed, etc. functions work, but it can't determine the latitude and longitude for some reason. I'm wondering if a settings tweek will fix it.

I'd expect Cyanogen to get on it sooner rather than later. That's the phone his wife was using, or at least she was last year.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I see that every CM7 nightly supported phone has a rom out now labeled cm-Phonename-full-1.zip regardless of whether they ever got a specifically labeled RC1 release or not. What's up those files? Is it worth going to that version from my RC1?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fishmech posted:

I see that every CM7 nightly supported phone has a rom out now labeled cm-Phonename-full-1.zip regardless of whether they ever got a specifically labeled RC1 release or not. What's up those files? Is it worth going to that version from my RC1?

Not really. RC's are more a nightly check point. Most nightlies after an RC are just bug fixes and things are generally feature locked.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Kazy posted:

This is based on gingerbread and not honeycomb right?

I guess that's better than 2.1 but some of those honeycomb builds are surprisingly stable right now.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
The Desire HD, Incredible, and Evo have very, very rough and broken Honeycomb ports from the SDK here: http://t3hh4xx0r.com/?page_id=1217

I wonder how much of the DHD port would be applicable to the G2/Desire Z. I'm personally hoping that after Honeycomb drops into AOSP we'll see a port for the Dell Streak.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Telex posted:

This is based on gingerbread and not honeycomb right?

I guess that's better than 2.1 but some of those honeycomb builds are surprisingly stable right now.

Honeycomb is months from having source released and the CM team doesn't like to work on a version of android without the source.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm praying more that the G2 gets better drivers when the Nexus One gets its Gingerbread released. I find that it's lagging a lot more than a lot of the 2.2 phones I see (Nexus One included), let alone the Nexus S. I don't even bother with the "all apps" menu animations on the home screen, they're so terrible. (then again, that menu is different from the Nexus S... now I'm curious what the differences are, being a noob [only got a G2 and Cyanogen 7 couple days ago] I simply don't know, or if there's better/faster Android desktops available)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 20, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Honeycomb is months from having source released and the CM team doesn't like to work on a version of android without the source.

Says who? The xoom comes out very soon, so it could be any time after that.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I have a problem with notifications. If I get a text from someone, and I have a conversation in my text messages with then previously, I don't get a notification sound. If they send me a message and I have never texted with them or I uave deleted the conversation, I get a notification for the text that started the conversation and none of the following texts. This only became an issue when I switched from CM7 nightly ~7 to 33 or 38. I am now on cyanogen wimax 6 and the problem persists. Any suggestions? This is all on the evo by the way.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Didn't see anything in the op regarding this

So my friend wants me to help him make his Samsung Vibrant more useful. Mostly what I'm looking for is a 2.2+ rom or just the ability to run flash. So, if you would be so kind as to point me at the best Samsung vibrant rom to date i would be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
My contract says I cant use wifi tethering, I bought the phone with no sim so there is no network software crap on it, is there any way they can see if you use wifi tethering without their software on your phone?

I think I may have fixed my problem with android system going rouge and using 100% cpu, I've reflashed and re-partitioned my sd card. Previously the sd card had a swap partition which I could not get rid of until now, I have a feeling that oxygen was somehow trying to use the swap unsuccessfully since its not really coded to do that (afaik) and this was causing android sys file to go nuts. Is this possible or am I just talking crap?