Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I don't think it's hard to learn, really. Honestly, I've seen every single technique in knitting except the knit stitch called "hard" or "scary".

My biggest knitting pet peeve is when people say "I'm scared to try ____" because seriously. It's knitting! It's not gonna catch on fire if you do it wrong.

Knitting in general is kinda hard to describe in writing though so yeah. I'm not knocking people for being confused by anything, lord knows I've spent plenty of time staring at pattern directions going "WHAT. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. WHAT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

People are just very anxious about making mistakes, I think (I know I can be, and there's not much you can do about that but push through it). Back in the day, children (except ones from very wealthy families who didn't need to) would get started on learning how to make and mend stuff from a very young age, but now that so much of our stuff is made in other countries, making things seems almost alien to people sometimes. But this is no doubt opening out into a topic for another thread.

Anyway, I've started some purl stitch (green) and after a few false starts and bits slipping off the ends when they weren't supposed to, I've done a small amount. I'll do a bit more of that and maybe then I can get started on techniques that use knit and purl on the same thing. I can still only make the two-needle cast on work, though. The thumb cast on starts okay, but it seems to then go wrong when I try to knit the next row. I expect there's a reason for that, though. Maybe I'll work it out sometime.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I find with the thumb cast on, that knitting through the back of the row immediately after works a little bit better for me; it still feels a little off, but it's a little easier to manage.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Anyone else taking advantage of the last week of Knitpicks 40% off books sale? I just placed an order for Cookie A's newest book, the SnB crochet and men's book (thus rounding out my collection) as well as three skeins of Chroma I'd been eyeing for an Anti Hipster Scarf. I had to talk myself down from getting the Gallatin Sweater Kit which I am seriously obsessed with now. Of course by the time I would get around to making it, it'll probably be summer, and besides that I'm not sure a stranded bulky weight sweater is ever appropriate for Bay Area weather (current weather aside).

Speaking of sweaters, I've just started the first sleeve on my attempt to make a modified Central Park Hoodie (waist shaping and totally seamless) and I'm seriously in love with top down sleeves. I hate seaming, especially when you need to ease in for a sleeve cap, but this was totally effortless. I'm following the instructions outlined here if anyone's interested.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
My little girl needed a scarf, so I made one. This is the first thing I have ever made that I've actually blocked haha.

I had to reblock it after this photo because the first blocking didn't quite take, as you can see.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm not knocking people for being confused by anything, lord knows I've spent plenty of time staring at pattern directions going "WHAT. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. WHAT."

One of my coworkers was confused why the gently caress I just finished 2 classes(intro and Crochet into) at my LYS, am now taking 2 MORE classes(Sock and Entrelac), have signed up for two more classes (Fingerless gloves tutorial and a class to make a betiko shawl) and have one more I want on the hoirzon(Baby sweaters!)

I tried explaining that rather than cowering in fear from scary projects, I am going to learn as much as I can now so that patterns aren't so scary. Lace is scary, so I take a class. I don't get why people cower rather than trying to learn it with someone who knows what they're doing!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I don't know why people are SO GODDAMN TERRIFIED of every little thing. "Cables??!? I've been knitting for thirty years but I could never do cables!!!" A person with an IQ of 80 could easily cable.

I came across a magazine the other day with this quote:

quote:

If knitting was ice-skating, then lace knitting would be the equivalent of executing a triple toe-loop jump with a perfect landing.

I was embarrassed to share a hobby with whatever self-important mouthbreather wrote that. Apparently there are a lot of people who've barely been on skates before who can learn triple toe-loops in under five minutes, and can do it from then on with 10% of their brain while watching a movie with the rest. And who can also pause in the middle of their jump and rewind to redo it as many times as they need to.

Anyway, don't be scared of stuff. Don't assume you can't do a technique, because honestly, none of them should be too intimidating. Worst-case you just have to be a little patient, pay attention, and maybe rip back. If you feel a lot better taking a class, then go for it, but if you don't want to or don't have the money, chances are you can learn it from youtube with an assist from Ravelry. A million people have done every technique before you, and plenty of them are probably lots stupider than you.

Okay, rant over. New rant!

I absolutely need to knit this sweater:

It's called Pull #480-T7-260, and I finally tracked it down to the magazine/pamphlet Phildar 480, Tendances, Winter 2007/2008. Of course it's from 2007 so I can't find the bastard anywhere :suicide:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 20, 2011

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I don't know why people are SO GODDAMN TERRIFIED of every little thing. "Cables??!? I've been knitting for thirty years but I could never do cables!!!" A person with an IQ of 80 could easily cable.

I came across a magazine the other day with this quote:

I was embarrassed to share a hobby with whatever self-important mouthbreather wrote that. Apparently there are a lot of people who've barely been on skates before who can learn triple toe-loops in under five minutes, and can do it from then on with 10% of their brain while watching a movie with the rest. And who can also pause in the middle of their jump and rewind to redo it as many times as they need to.

Anyway, don't be scared of stuff. Don't assume you can't do a technique, because honestly, none of them should be too intimidating. Worst-case you just have to be a little patient, pay attention, and maybe rip back. If you feel a lot better taking a class, then go for it, but if you don't want to or don't have the money, chances are you can learn it from youtube with an assist from Ravelry. A million people have done every technique before you, and plenty of them are probably lots stupider than you.

It's called Pull #480-T7-260, and I finally tracked it down to the magazine/pamphlet Phildar 480, Tendances, Winter 2007/2008. Of course it's from 2007 so I can't find the bastard anywhere :suicide:

Agree 100% with the rant...and supposedly this store has the magazine! Love love loooove that sweater if I wasn't so fat: http://www.knitntyme.com/site.aspx?content=browse&Category=267

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

zamiel posted:

Agree 100% with the rant...and supposedly this store has the magazine! Love love loooove that sweater if I wasn't so fat: http://www.knitntyme.com/site.aspx?content=browse&Category=267
That site seems kind of sketchy and partly broken, so it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that it's still being updated and I should trust them with my credit card :/

Look what else I found! I'm not usually into super-cutesy things, but...

Available here for the low low price of $25/kit. Plus shipping. Ravelry link -- happily most people's are way uglier than the original, so I feel like I'm missing out less.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

It looks a lot like the Cable Luxe Tunic, although with a different neckline and without as much shaping. Maybe you could add your own neckline?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Seriously. I can understand not wanting to screw up a whole sweater that took weeks or months to knit but you can't be scared to cable a swatch. NOTHING will happen if you screw it up.

I was thinking cable luxe tunic too! It's a rather popular pattern (for obvious reasons). Just looking at it I can say it's knit up from the bottom with a cables and rib pattern allover, sleeves too, then the sleeves and the body are joined together and it looks like a few rounds of raglan shaping maybe - then that band around the top is knit sideways and attached to the live stitches. The way you'd do the border on a lace shawl. Then you'd pick up stitches and knit in rib and decrease for the neck.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The mother's birthday present is all done and ready to go!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The band is knit in the first handspun to come off my wheel, while the yarn is Quince & Co. Puffin (which is fabulous and may be my new go-to hat yarn). As far as I'm concerned, the button pulls the whole thing together; the hat looked kind of ratty and sad before it was added.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Felicity that looks gorgeous! And your mom will love it even more knowing it has some of your first yarn in it. I'm wanting to do something similar with some of the art yarn I've spun but I haven't found quite the right pairing yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Seriously. I can understand not wanting to screw up a whole sweater that took weeks or months to knit but you can't be scared to cable a swatch. NOTHING will happen if you screw it up.

:ohdear: Nothing will happen, but what if I mess up just one knit or two? then I have to take the whole thing apart and I'll go crazy trying to get it back together.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: Nothing will happen, but what if I mess up just one knit or two? then I have to take the whole thing apart and I'll go crazy trying to get it back together.

If you mess up just one knit or two... nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Except you, but hey.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

On a swatch!? Throw it away and start another one! :) Or cast off and use it as a dishrag or something.

\/\/\/\/ Oh it's looking awesome!

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 21, 2011

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Dude progress:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, that's going to look sweet when it's done. Is the colourwork done stranded for the black bits, or is it really crazy intarsia? Or something else even?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fooley posted:

Dude progress:

This looks gorgeous, but what am I looking at in the middle? The left bit is a sleeve and the right bit a front or back, but what is the middle section?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

madlilnerd posted:

This looks gorgeous, but what am I looking at in the middle? The left bit is a sleeve and the right bit a front or back, but what is the middle section?

The middle piece is one of the front halves. It zips up that's why. Colorwork is stranded, which slows me down when I get to the main pattern but its whatever. For my first time doing it I think its ok...you all tell me:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

You are doing way better than my first stranded--everything is so neat and even. I just ripped out 1/4 a fingering weight stranded cardigan because I just couldn't take how terrible I was doing... and it took me finishing one fourth to finally admit it.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Knitpicks brought back rainbow Felici Self Striping Sock Yarn...I have just freakin LOST IT SQUEELING! Hopefully my guys tax return is bountiful.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aaagh I wish you hadn't said anything. They've got a new sport weight Felici that is the perfect set of colours for me to use for the background colours of a Turkish sock. And I just ordered some of their stuff while it was on sale when they were getting rid of the old colours.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I showed my mother the squares of knit and purl stitch that I'd made. She responded with "I know what we're all getting for Christmas - something knitted!" Agh. It is February, how can anyone think of Christmas? Will I be able to produce an actual thing by December? I'll have to find a book/magazine/website of knitting patterns at some point. And something to explain knitting patterns to me, some of them have secret codes.

Anyway, I'm starting a square of stocking/stockinette stitch, in brown. I notice it goes curly at the edges, which is faintly irritating when you haven't done very much and the curly bit gets in the way. But it's looking good so far :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Just for that, I would give everyone a square piece of knitting as a gift.

I mean, come on! No one needs that kind of pressure. :)

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Jollity Farm posted:

Will I be able to produce an actual thing by December? I'll have to find a book/magazine/website of knitting patterns at some point. And something to explain knitting patterns to me, some of them have secret codes.

You are producing actual things right now! :3: The cool thing about knitting is once you get the hang of knitting and purling, you start improving crazy fast and hardly even notice til one day you realize you've finished a scarf while marathoning the Office or something. You'll get there for sure, and a lot faster than you'd think. Just keep at it!

Also, get a Ravelry account for patterns and there are thousand of knitting tutorials online. Just google something if you don't know how to do it, and good luck!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Just for that, I would give everyone a square piece of knitting as a gift.

I mean, come on! No one needs that kind of pressure. :)

I second this.

Not even a big square. A little square. Like an inch by an inch. :D

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FelicityGS posted:

I second this.

Not even a big square. A little square. Like an inch by an inch. :D

Sew the ends together and say it's a tiny, tiny pillow cover. :eng101:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

Sew the ends together and say it's a tiny, tiny pillow cover. :eng101:

Stuff it with local herbs and say it's a pillow satchet.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Jollity Farm's Mom posted:

I know what we're all getting for Christmas - something knitted!...next Christmas...my birthday? gently caress it, just get me a giftcard

Fixed that for you.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fooley posted:

Fixed that for you.

Welcome to my sad reality. :smith:

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I apologize if this has been posted before in this thread and I missed it, but what was eveyone's first project on circular needles? I'm about 2 months in and I've got most stitches down. I've only made things on straight needles so far and I want to try something simple on circular needles that isnt a pixie hat or a scarf.

Strangely enough it wasn't too hard learning to knit. I thought my years of crochet experience would hinder me but I think it probably helped. YouTube videos are my new best friend.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I did a plain most stockinette Zimmerman percentage based sweater in bulky yarn on circulars as my first circular project.

I wish I actually liked wearing it, because it's rather nice. I don't know why I picked purple.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My first project on circulars (and dpns) were two hats. Not pixie hats, but watchcaps or toques or whatever they're called. If you click on the question mark under my name, you can see them (and how far I've come since!) :toot:

e: Also, don't stress about circulars, they're the easiest thing on the planet. They're even easier than knitting with two straight needles because you don't have to turn your work around or worry about which side you're on! There are only two things to be aware of:
- when you're first casting on and joining, don't twist it.
- don't lose the row counter that signals the beginning of each row.
That's it! From then on it's super easy.

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

what was eveyone's first project on circular needles?

A Harry Potter scarf. :3:

Circulars are seriously easy, though. Like Anne Whateley said, keep a row counter in place, and don't twist it when you join things, and you're good to go.

Adunare fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 24, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My first circular project was a really ugly sock made from possibly the worst possible choice of yarn for socks ever (red heart super saver in the most hideous oatmeal tweed color). I don't think I ever wore them but I did learn to knit socks!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I apologize if this has been posted before in this thread and I missed it, but what was eveyone's first project on circular needles? I'm about 2 months in and I've got most stitches down. I've only made things on straight needles so far and I want to try something simple on circular needles that isnt a pixie hat or a scarf.

I just started a floppy, fluffy cloche-kinda hat. It has a big wavy brim and it's the most obnoxious eyelash yarn ever.. It's mostly so I can get the hang of circulars and DPNs, except I don't own any DPNs and have to borrow some from a friend..

I also totally improvised the pattern so I hope it doesn't turn out totally crappy.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Looking for knitting patterns for beginners on the net, I came across these ideas and now think, as Brazilian Werewolf said, that I am capable of knitting actual things. Especially that garter stitch scarf. Like the squares I already did - but long! :bravo:

I shall have to buy some kind of needles for sewing up edges, though - the sewing needles I currently have are much too thin.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Most major craft stores that have a yarn section usually have a few with the knitting needles. They're called embroidery needles or finishing needles and you can get them in plastic or metal. They're also usually fairly cheap, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

FelicityGS posted:

Most major craft stores that have a yarn section usually have a few with the knitting needles. They're called embroidery needles or finishing needles and you can get them in plastic or metal. They're also usually fairly cheap, which is nice.

When I finished my fiance's scarf I really wanted to give it to him right away, as it was the night before he started his new job. I never bought knitting needles, so I just used a bobby pin. It worked really, really well, surprisingly enough. I just had to be a little careful about how I approached the stitches.

Definitely buying a needle for next time though, if only so I can go faster.