Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Hey guys, one quick question I can't get clearly answered by google. (I'm getting results, they just go both ways, apparently)

I have a mainboard with two PCIe slots. Thanks to a combination of retarded mainboard layout and retarded case, my GTX 460 overheats in the upper slot eventually (took me a while to figure that one out) but works just fine and dandy in the lower slot. Because of my retarded mainboard I'm just getting PCIe 8x in the lower slot at max. My question is am I losing a lot of performance/FPS in a real setting (I don't care about benchmarks) or does it hardly matter? What I found on google was everything between "You're hardly using your graphic card" to "the speed difference is purely in the theoretic realm and won't ever be noticed" I'd test the difference myself but as I said, I can't get the card working safely in the upper slot. I want to hear the opinion of you people, thanks in advance.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
As long as the motherboard supports PCI-E 2.0, 8 lanes should be plenty.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

A question that popped up in my head when I took a closer look on my power outlet strip with built in surge protection and Master / Slave outlets:
The Master outlet is rated at max 550W, this being the outlet I use to power my computer with a Corsair TX650W, wouldn't that limit how much juice the computer can get?

I haven't had any instability problems for weeks except for when my RAM developed instability after a few weeks + errors in memtest and now the Graphics card decided to crap out on me completely (computer wont boot with the drivers installed).

Now I'm running a very barebones set up with a MicroATX/i5-760/2x2GB RAM and a (now seemingly defunct) Gigabyte GTX460 + DVD and one HDD. 550W should be enough but this power strip has been spooking my main monitor when I had it popped in the main Slave outlet, turning it on briefly several times per night(I'm guessing power hanging around after I shut down the computer would go over to the slave outlet and briefly start up the main screen but I'm no electrician) or turning it OFF during computer use!? :tinfoil:

I'm not sure what the normal european power outlet boxes are rated for per outlet in max W, but could this be loving with my computer?

HWMonitor has been showing stable numbers for the rails and such when in use so I'm probably reaching for straws here.

Anyone care to enlighten me on how this works?

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Paino posted:

My i5 760 stays at around 50c in idle, goes to 60c+ while watching youtube videos (not even in hd), and to 90c and beyond in games. Measured with 3 different tools, same temps.

Basically after playing 15 minutes of Black Ops my pc reboots. I've tried to set the fan manually, but the difference is minimal. My pc has just been assembled, what could this be? The guy didn't put enough thermal paste? Cooler is not mounted correctly? The cpu is a lemon?

I had the same problem with my i5 760 when I put my new box together, turned out it was the cooler that wasn't properly attached. If it is attached with push-pins then make sure that the "barbs" of the pin has gone through the motherboard properly, otherwise it won't make contact with the cpu.

Like this.

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 14, 2011

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
I need to connect a (potentially damaged) HDD from one of those portable picture storage/viewer gadgets to my desktop. It won't power on, so I pulled the drive from the device, but it's an IDE connection, which my brand-spanking-new motherboard doesn't seem to have.

What's the easiest (and least expensive) way to connect this to my PC to potentially recover the data on the drive? I'm not sure if it's as simple as an IDE -> SATA adapter or something more involved.

Zippy MacPhearson fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 15, 2011

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
I recently added some new quiet 80mm fans to my HTPC, During the install I accidentally pulled the cpu off the motherboard trying to remove the heat sink. I de-gunked it and re-installed it with new grease. Now the PC BSODs occasionally, I have had memtest running for 12 hours without an errors and without rebooting, i reseated everything, tried letting the pc run for a while from a linux live cd, but it still freezes/restarts/bsods.

Thoughts? Seems like hardware, but I don't know what could be wrong since memtest runs non-stop without error and the cpu isn't overheating.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Alereon posted:

As long as the motherboard supports PCI-E 2.0, 8 lanes should be plenty.

Thank you. :)

Zippy MacPhearson posted:

I need to connect a (potentially damaged) HDD from one of those portable picture storage/viewer gadgets to my desktop. It won't power on, so I pulled the drive from the device, but it's an IDE connection, which my brand-spanking-new motherboard doesn't seem to have.

What's the easiest (and least expensive) way to connect this to my PC to potentially recover the data on the drive? I'm not sure if it's as simple as an IDE -> SATA adapter or something more involved.

Get some cheap-o IDE controller card or pseudo-RAID controller card. (Whatever you find is cheaper) and connect it to that. Get the cheapest you can get, it'll work just fine. (You still have PCI slots, right?)

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah, I've got plenty of PCI slots, I'll look into something like that.

Thanks for the help, exactly the info I needed.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Yeah, I've got plenty of PCI slots, I'll look into something like that.

Thanks for the help, exactly the info I needed.

Honestly a cheapo multi usb->sata,ide,laptopIDE thing is like $5 bucks on ebay.

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Something like this?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Something like this?

There are ones that come with a power adapter for a few dollars more, which you'll need unless you just have your case open and plug it in that way. It may not be worth the investment to you if it's just a one-time thing.

There's also direct internal adapters, like these for about the same price. That one looks like it needs a floppy power connector for the adapter as well as a 4-pin for the drive. (The $10 one comes with a cable for that.)

edit: Just noticed on that same page the controller card for less than the adapter + cables. So that's another option.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 16, 2011

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Awesome, thanks for the help. That second adapter (with the cables) looks perfect, and $10 is not too expensive at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fuseshock posted:

I keep getting memory_management BSOD's.

Maybe a little late but:

I5 760 CPU
MSI mobo replaced by ASUS
4 GB Corsair Ram
120 GB OCZ Agility SSD
vx 550w Corsair PSU

I recently had this issue with my new build (put together in January) that has finally sorted itself out.

First system had bad memory (as reported by Memtest) and then no POST. I RMA'd the Mobo and memory (and CPU just to be sure).

Once I got all that back, this motherboard would not POST at all. Returned this one and got an ASUS replacement. This system stayed up.....for a week. Power supply died.

So I had a string of failures that either stemmed from a bad PSU to begin with, a string of bad mobo's that killed my power supply, OR 4 separate hardware failures.

I had the same symptoms as you anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thanks for the help I got on the last question, I've got a couple more. Is there a way to make an image of a compact flash card. I've got all my drivers set up now, and it would be really great if a clean install just meant rewriting the card.

Also, how is wear leveling on newish compact flash? I remember a while back some guy proved that the newer thumb drives could take weeks of constant rewriting before failure. I've currently got swap disabled, and I'm not sure how well things will work if I leave it off, and kind of need the first answer before I go off experimenting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is a dumb question most likely. Building a PC over at HP and they give me different processors to choose from. Now reading the FAQ here, I know I don't need anything better than a quad core. But there are like five different ones to choose from. AMD Athlon X4 640, AMD Phenom X4 955, etc. Is there a major difference in these that warrant the extra cost? Do I just settle for the cheapest quad core?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Niwrad posted:

This is a dumb question most likely. Building a PC over at HP and they give me different processors to choose from. Now reading the FAQ here, I know I don't need anything better than a quad core. But there are like five different ones to choose from. AMD Athlon X4 640, AMD Phenom X4 955, etc. Is there a major difference in these that warrant the extra cost? Do I just settle for the cheapest quad core?

http://products.amd.com/pages/comparison/DesktopCPU.aspx

Search for the chip you're interested in + benchmarks and that will give you a better idea on the performance differences for the applications that matter to you.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

You should find the Anandtech CPU Benchmark List helpful. If you're buying the system for gaming, get a Phenom II X4 9xx-series, whichever you can afford. Basically, it breaks down like this, with the price being approximately what you're aiming to spend on the CPU itself:

$100: Athlon II X4 6xx
$150: Phenom II X4 9xx
$200: Core i5 7xx
$300: Core i7 8xx

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I have this. How hard would it be to install a video card? It has integrated graphics, but apparently Minecraft can't run well on IGs.
http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table_3.html
Maybe this can work? Probably not, but worth checking out..

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

One of our clients often refers to KVMs as SIPs. Anyone know what SIP stands for in that case?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Anjow posted:

One of our clients often refers to KVMs as SIPs. Anyone know what SIP stands for in that case?
Are they referring to Dell Server Interface Pods? Maybe someone else has a better idea.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have a little USB external HDD. It's a Seagate Freeagent Go, a particularly weird version that has a dual-USB y-connector, with one of the ports only providing power. Strange but it works fine as long as I plug the "power" one in before the "data" one.

Anyway, it works fine on my old Apple computer. It works fine on my Linux netbook. It works fine on my Win7/32 laptop. (It's NTFS).

On my Win7/64 desktop, it doesn't work right. I plug it in, it makes the pa-ding "hardware connected" noise, and...nothing. I can see it in disk management, which recognizes the brand and the size, but it isn't assigned a letter and it doesn't mount in the explorer. When I right-click on it to try and assign a letter, I can't, because everything is grayed out except for "delete volume" and help.

What the hell is going on?

[e] one more thing. It has an EFI system partition sitting in the first 200 megs because it used to be an HFS+ volume and was reformatted improperly. I can get rid of that, but I need to get the data onto my 64-bit machine first. As above it still works on 3/4 systems -- would that cause any problems?

[e2] got it. The reason it wasn't working is cause something about the reformatting didn't take (the EFI partition being a good sign). It was still an HFS volume in some way or other -- linux and OS X can mount that natively, obviously, and I had an HFS-compatibility package installed on the win32 box from when it still was an HFS drive. The only machine that couldn't read HFS was the win7/64, because I'd just reinstalled the OS.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 19, 2011

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there a way to make an image of a compact flash card. I've got all my drivers set up now, and it would be really great if a clean install just meant rewriting the card.

You should be able to image it with your tool of choice just like any other device on your system. So long as it is picked up by the host, go nuts.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I have a WRT-54GL with the latest DD-WRT firmware. I'm trying to find settings on the router or my wifi devices that will increase the speed. My wired connections, according to speedtest.net hit 36mbps for my wired devices and only 5mbps for my wifi devices. I set my router to be G mode only and only connect at 54mbps. My G laptop still only tops out at 5mbps. Ping and upload are identical to my wired connection.

Any suggestions? There's nobody else using my connection, there's no interference, there's nobody else on my channel (6) and I'm in a fairly uncongested area with only 3 or 4 other routers faintly seen (including non-SSID-broadcasting ones).

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

PorkFat posted:

I have a WRT-54GL with the latest DD-WRT firmware. I'm trying to find settings on the router or my wifi devices that will increase the speed. My wired connections, according to speedtest.net hit 36mbps for my wired devices and only 5mbps for my wifi devices. I set my router to be G mode only and only connect at 54mbps. My G laptop still only tops out at 5mbps. Ping and upload are identical to my wired connection.

Any suggestions? There's nobody else using my connection, there's no interference, there's nobody else on my channel (6) and I'm in a fairly uncongested area with only 3 or 4 other routers faintly seen (including non-SSID-broadcasting ones).

Can you double check your speed test is in mb and not MB?

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

enotnert posted:

Can you double check your speed test is in mb and not MB?

Forgot to mention it's a residential cable modem so it's little 'b' bits.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

PorkFat posted:

Forgot to mention it's a residential cable modem so it's little 'b' bits.

You have to remember though, wireless will never have wired speeds. This poo poo always grates my rear end hard. Unless under absolutely prime conditions you're not gonna get anywhere near the "spec" speeds for wireless.

5mbps over a wireless link on a speedtest? Thats damned good. Be happy with it. Unless you've invested in motorola canopies and know exactly what you're doing, you are doing better than 99% of people who think wi-fi is the end all solution to everything.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

enotnert posted:

You have to remember though, wireless will never have wired speeds.

And I knew this, it's just that this is the first time I ever bothered to run a speed test with wifi and so it was the first time I noticed that much of a speed difference compared to the wired. I would think that since it's labeled as 54G that it would begin to approach that speed a little bit, not 1/10th of that. Oh well, thanks for your input.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 19, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PorkFat posted:

And I knew this, it's just that this is the first time I ever bothered to run a speed test with wifi and so it was the first time I noticed that much of a speed difference compared to the wired. I would think that since it's labeled as 54G that it would begin to approach that speed a little bit, not 1/10th of that.

Oh well.

How close are you to the router? You wouldn't happen to have turned down the broadcast power would you?

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

fishmech posted:

How close are you to the router? You wouldn't happen to have turned down the broadcast power would you?

I'll check that, but I'm within 10 feet of the router.

One more thing, does this make sense: My friend at work upgraded from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a 3.0 Surfboard cable modem and reported his bandwidth shot up without upgrading his data plan. So, I did the same and sure as poo poo, it went from 16 mbps to 35-36 mbps. Would there be anything in the DOCSIS 3.0 specs that would trick a speed test into thinking I had more bandwidth? poo poo does seem to load faster and Netflix and Hulu auto play HD now but it may just be placebo/coincidence.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

PorkFat posted:

One more thing, does this make sense: My friend at work upgraded from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a 3.0 Surfboard cable modem and reported his bandwidth shot up without upgrading his data plan. So, I did the same and sure as poo poo, it went from 16 mbps to 35-36 mbps. Would there be anything in the DOCSIS 3.0 specs that would trick a speed test into thinking I had more bandwidth? poo poo does seem to load faster and Netflix and Hulu auto play HD now but it may just be placebo/coincidence.
Even if the amount you're paying didn't change, the rate plans have higher speeds in DOCSIS3.0 areas, so you might want to check on the modem configuration page to see if your symbol rate went up. Another thing is that Comcast has the PowerBoost feature which uncaps your connections for small uploads and downloads, the idea being both to make it feel faster in normal use and also to have fewer transfers going at once. Now that you have a DOCSIS3.0 modem, PowerBoost can be more effective by bursting to higher speeds. In order to defeat PowerBoost, download a big file like a Linux ISO through bittorrent, which will cause it to drop back to your regular cap speeds after around 100MB or so, then do a speed test.

As far as improving your wireless performance, make sure you pick the channel farthest from any other networks, as networks begin to cause interference if they're closer than 5 channels from eachother. Technically there are only three channels that don't overlap, 1, 6, and 11. You'll probably have to put up with some overlap, but you want to avoid using 6 while your neighbor is on 7 for example.

Also: Do you have any 2.4Ghz cordless phones or Bluetooth devices transmitting? Both of those will murder your wireless performance.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
My friend's laptop LCD died so I ordered a new one and put it in. I've done this before without a problem, but this time I put it in and only part of the LCD works. Usually just a little on the top, but sometimes a little more of the screen shows up.

I plugged the laptop into a TV and it worked fine, so I know this is not the graphics card that causes an issue. Is it possible I got sent a bad LCD? The box arrived in perfect condition, it did not look smashed or anything.

Here is what it looks like:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Lt Moose posted:

My friend's laptop LCD died so I ordered a new one and put it in. I've done this before without a problem, but this time I put it in and only part of the LCD works. Usually just a little on the top, but sometimes a little more of the screen shows up.

I plugged the laptop into a TV and it worked fine, so I know this is not the graphics card that causes an issue. Is it possible I got sent a bad LCD? The box arrived in perfect condition, it did not look smashed or anything.

Here is what it looks like:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I see this all the time at the "Welcome" screen on HP laptops, but it only does it there. Is it doing this all the time? If so, I'm going to make the obvious recommendation and tell you to make sure the display cable is secure at both ends. This almost certainly sounds like a defect though, so back to the seller it will likely go.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Yeah, I double checked the display cables. It happens all the time unfortunately. I sent the seller an email to get an exchange. Just figured I would get a second opinion. Thanks!

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I was using HDTune to read my SMART data for my hard drives and found out that I have a 1.5 year old hard drive that has 20 reallocated sectors (a Seagate ST31500341AS - storage), a 3 year old hard drive that has 1 bad sector (Seagate ST31000340AS - storage) and finally a much smaller, 5 year old (Seagate ST3300831AS - boot drive) with no bad sectors.

Should I be worried about the newer hard drives? I've got backups for the important data.
Is there a way to find out where the bad sectors are, file-wise to see what data has been damaged?

I've had a couple of hard crashes recently where all I could do was power off the computer. Unfortunately, it left no info on why it happened. Could this be the culprit or could the bad sectors have happened because of this?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Trickyrive posted:

I was using HDTune to read my SMART data for my hard drives and found out that I have a 1.5 year old hard drive that has 20 reallocated sectors (a Seagate ST31500341AS - storage), a 3 year old hard drive that has 1 bad sector (Seagate ST31000340AS - storage) and finally a much smaller, 5 year old (Seagate ST3300831AS - boot drive) with no bad sectors.

Should I be worried about the newer hard drives? I've got backups for the important data.
Is there a way to find out where the bad sectors are, file-wise to see what data has been damaged?

I've had a couple of hard crashes recently where all I could do was power off the computer. Unfortunately, it left no info on why it happened. Could this be the culprit or could the bad sectors have happened because of this?
Even a single bad sector means the drive has begun to fail and will need to be replaced. The bad sectors could definitely be the cause of the locks, and you should replace the drives as soon as possible.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a multimedia external hard drive. I have about ~400 CDs/DVDs that I want to back-up, but be able to play using a PS3. Any recommendations?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a multimedia external hard drive. I have about ~400 CDs/DVDs that I want to back-up, but be able to play using a PS3. Any recommendations?
It doesn't matter what harddrive you get, just as long as you format it as FAT32 the PS3 will be able to read it (which does mean no files bigger than 4GB or drives larger than 2TB). Your best bet is to pick up a decent external USB3.0 enclosure for $29 (the PS3 won't take advantage of USB3.0, but it will work at USB2.0 speeds and will be nice when you upgrade your computer to use USB3.0) and a Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD for $79.99 after discount to put in it (you can get other sizes but 2TB is the best $/GB right now). That gets you 2TB of storage that will be quiet and use very little power, and if you ever need to you can take the drive out of the enclosure without voiding a warranty or having to deal with some bizarre encryption, like might be a problem if you buy a branded external HDD.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Are Netburst-era P4s good for anything? My parents replaced their old desktop with a new one, and I moved it to the guest bedroom and replaced their ancient XP installation with Ubuntu 10.10, in order to serve as a good web/office computer for visitors. Just to make sure, are there any other possible uses for it, such as an HTPC or NAS? It's a 6 year-old (I think) Sony Vaio VGA-RB40 desktop.

Specs: Pentium 4 530J (3.0 GHz with HT), 915G chipset mobo, 1.5GB PC-3200 DDR RAM, 200GB S-ATA 7200 RPM HD, integrated video, DVD-RW drive, vacant PCI Express 16x and 1x slots. I at least want to toss in a video card, since it's using GMA900 graphics, which takes away from system RAM.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2011

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

surrender posted:

Are Netburst-era P4s good for anything? My parents replaced their old desktop with a new one, and I moved it to the guest bedroom and replaced their ancient XP installation with Ubuntu 10.10, in order to serve as a good web/office computer for visitors. Just to make sure, are there any other possible uses for it, such as an HTPC or NAS? It's a 6 year-old (I think) Sony Vaio VGA-RB40 desktop.

Specs: Pentium 4 530J (3.0 GHz with HT), 1.5GB PC-3200 DDR RAM, 200GB P-ATA 7200 RPM HD, integrated video, DVD-RW drive, vacant PCI Express 16x and 1x slots

If I remember correctly, those had to have the frequency ramped to the moon before they became useful due to something or other that my concussed brain cannot recall. You could use it for a NAS, I wouldn't use it for an HTPC as it is going to have difficulty if any video processing is demanded of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

mAlfunkti0n posted:

If I remember correctly, those had to have the frequency ramped to the moon before they became useful due to something or other that my concussed brain cannot recall. You could use it for a NAS, I wouldn't use it for an HTPC as it is going to have difficulty if any video processing is demanded of it.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Like I mentioned above, I'd like to toss in a cheap video card to free up the RAM that the GMA900 chipset uses, and a larger SATA drive.

• Locked thread