Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

billion dollar bitch posted:

Unless you wanna spend forty dollars on a single meal, the best burgers around Columbia are from Checkers (125 and broadway).

Burgerchat is great and if anyone is around The Bay, I'd like to introduce you to the DFB http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2010/05/decadence_for_a_nice_price_at.php

Kobe patty cooked in duck fat with Lincolnshire Poacher cheddar and truffles. I complete the ritual with Glenrothes 85.

I don't gently caress around when I break my diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I occasionally hang around in the Village (despite being a CLS guy), and West Third Common has a really, really excellent burger.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

HooKars posted:

Submit that to A Hamburger Today if you haven't already - http://aht.seriouseats.com/

Hrm I can't decide if they are my natural allies or competition.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Petey posted:

Hrm I can't decide if they are my natural allies or competition.

Well, you've got a map with 253 places in the entire United States where it is possible for one to get a cheeseburger, so maybe it's a bit early to start thinking about competition.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Now I miss the Apple Pan. :(

e: drat you, Petey, making me miss LA.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Save me jeebus posted:

Now I miss the Apple Pan. :(

e: drat you, Petey, making me miss LA.
Man I haven't thought about the Apple Pan in forever, I wonder if the men working the counter are still 90 years old

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Enigma89 posted:

Alright well if its all resume filler, but then that may be the case which may help me out. I am graduating in three weeks and have been applying to jobs like crazy and I can't get a call back anywhere. I think trying to hide out and dodge the recession for 2 years wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, I am *HOPING* that a masters may turn a few heads when people see it on my resume when I apply for a job.

I think having a masters may put me in a better position than I am currently in now with my little bachelors.

If you go to law school instead of getting a masters in europe I will personally drive to your house and kick you in the balls.

The mere fact that you're even considering law school as some sort of "ride out the recession back-up" plan instead of actually wanting to be a lawyer means you are objectively a dumb person.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Linguica posted:

Man I haven't thought about the Apple Pan in forever, I wonder if the men working the counter are still 90 years old

Yeah they are, at least as of my last pilgrimage last year. The most junior of them has been working there for something like 35 years.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

BigHead posted:

you are objectively a dumb person.

Says the law school student.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

poofactory posted:

Says the law school student.

Every single person in this thread who a) went somewhere that isn't HYS or b) didn't get a free ride is objectively a dumb person, including me. That guy is also objectively a dumb person. Our status as dumb people does not defeat his status as dumb.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like how the outlook on law school has gone from "T1 and you're set" to "T14 and you're set" to "T14 or don't go" to "HYS or don't go" just in the last 8-9 years.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are the "HYS" equivalents of foreign law schools? Like, if you want to go to the best law school in France, or Germany, where do you go?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

entris posted:

What are the "HYS" equivalents of foreign law schools? Like, if you want to go to the best law school in France, or Germany, where do you go?

Pretty sure it's an entirely different process over there. I know most places, you study law as an undergraduate. A lot of civil law countries have special programs/schools for judges, completely separate from lawyer-education.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Rokstar posted:

I like how the outlook on law school has gone from "T1 and you're set" to "T14 and you're set" to "T14 or don't go" to "HYS or don't go" just in the last 8-9 years.
This change has happened in the last 3-5 years.
Like when I started in 2006, T1 was just fine. Hell, T2, maybe even a TTT with a full ride was ok. 3 years later, everyone's hosed!

On a side, note and I'm not sure this is related, but:
I grew up in Northern California in the 80s and 90s. This meant I said "hella" a lot.
Then, I moved to Minnesota for 7 years and completely purged that awful word out on my lexicon.
Now I'm back in NorCal for less than 2 years and "hella" has started slipping out on my mouth.
So not only did I go to law school, not get a job, but I'm saying "hella" again. Goddammit, eff my life.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BigHead posted:

Every single person in this thread who a) went somewhere that isn't HYS or b) didn't get a free ride is objectively a dumb person, including me.
:chord:

nm posted:

This change has happened in the last 3-5 years.
Like when I started in 2006, T1 was just fine. Hell, T2, maybe even a TTT with a full ride was ok. 3 years later, everyone's hosed!
Yeah, I was applying to law schools in 2007 and the overwhelming sense from vets giving me advice (in this thread's predecessors) was "get into a T14, get median, be set for life." Taking money at a lower-T1 was a good option too, I was considering Notre Dame and UIUC with no real fear that I'd be totally boned.

We were so young then

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 18, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

:chord:
Yeah, I was applying to law schools in 2007 and the overwhelming sense from vets giving me advice (in this thread's predecessors) was "get into a T14, get median, be set for life." Taking money at a lower-T1 was a good option too, I was considering Notre Dame and UIUC with no real fear that I'd be totally boned.

We were so young then
2006, almost full ride at UMN (then 19), I KNEW i was getting a job. And I wouldn't even have to take money out of my check to pay back loans! I was certain by now I'd have like a (used -- I was doing criminal afterall) corvette or porsche by now.
Instead, I'm driving the same car I bought 2L year (old car was totaled, bought totally with insurance payout, I'm not that stupid -- I actually love it and wouln't have sold it but i want a 2nd car!), live with my parents, and have a tube TV. Wooo!
(No debt and a 25/25 fiber connection though)

Now bighead is UMN entering like 2008 or something. He's stupid. By 2L, I knew I was hosed.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

nm posted:

2006, almost full ride at UMN (then 19), I KNEW i was getting a job. And I wouldn't even have to take money out of my check to pay back loans! I was certain by now I'd have like a (used -- I was doing criminal afterall) corvette or porsche by now.
Instead, I'm driving the same car I bought 2L year (old car was totaled, bought totally with insurance payout, I'm not that stupid -- I actually love it and wouln't have sold it but i want a 2nd car!), live with my parents, and have a tube TV. Wooo!
(No debt and a 25/25 fiber connection though)

Now bighead is UMN entering like 2008 or something. He's stupid. By 2L, I knew I was hosed.
'Where Dreams Come to Die'

Should be the new title of this thread.

Anyways thank you all for the replies to my post. I decided I will apply to European Unis and go for a masters degree there.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 19, 2011

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2013

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I was going to respond with "oh yeah, well at least I get a paycheck," then realized that since I took out some loans I am technically poorer than you are. I would trade my life for yours in a heartbeat.

edit: Also I went in in '07 when it still wasn't a completely terrible idea :colbert:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 19, 2011

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

Stop posted:

Waitlisted at both Bay Area schools and Chicago was too cheap to give me a scholarship in the initial financial aid package. Not a great week.

For those of you who negotiated scholarships, do you just send an e-mail to their office and go "Michigan gave me 50% and living expenses there are really cheap, could you offer me a scholarship package"?

Would that even work with the CCN schools or would they just laugh at it? (My GPA is slightly above their median and my LSAT is well above their 75% so I'm hoping that I'm a desirable candidate)
It won't hurt to try, and yes that's essentially how you do it. Keep it short, just a sentence or two, and include a copy of the scholarship offer letter if you can.

They already know how their cost of living differs from competitor schools, so I probably wouldn't bother mentioning that (or coloring it in any way as an argument for why you should get more money--simply notify them of the competing offer and ask them to consider it).

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Stop posted:

Waitlisted at both Bay Area schools and Chicago was too cheap to give me a scholarship in the initial financial aid package. Not a great week.

For those of you who negotiated scholarships, do you just send an e-mail to their office and go "Michigan gave me 50% and living expenses there are really cheap, could you offer me a scholarship package"?

Would that even work with the CCN schools or would they just laugh at it? (My GPA is slightly above their median and my LSAT is well above their 75% so I'm hoping that I'm a desirable candidate)

Well you phrase it much, much more cordially than that.

You're negotiating, but you're not negotiating, you're asking them to help you facilitate your dream of going to their school by helping you turn down an offer you couldn't otherwise refuse. Be polite, be gracious with an upper case G down to the last curve on the s, and leverage leverage leverage.

And yes it works for CCN.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, you need to be more like, I would love to go to Chicago, but given that Michigan will be so much cheaper, I'm going to be forced, woe is me, to go to a public school.

True story: My dad picked Michigan over Chicago. Back in the 70s, Michigan was considered the better school.

BigHead posted:

I was going to respond with "oh yeah, well at least I get a paycheck," then realized that since I took out some loans I am technically poorer than you are. I would trade my life for yours in a heartbeat.
Boyahh.
And my car is owned free and clear, though it needs a new engine :(
Still, i have a net worth in the positive ten thousands of dollars (Note: not tens of thousands)!

nm fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 19, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

BigHead posted:

Every single person in this thread who a) went somewhere that isn't HYS or b) didn't get a free ride is objectively a dumb person, including me. That guy is also objectively a dumb person. Our status as dumb people does not defeat his status as dumb.

Don't put this HYS/full ride or bust bullshit on everyone. I'm good with my choices.

Stop posted:

drat bud sorry about the Bay. On the plus side, last year Berkeley let in a lot of high LSAT people off the waitlist (there's some commentary on Nuts and Boalts about this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it) so don't give up. As for negotiating scholarships definitely hit up the schools and do it soon. The e-mail should talk about your scholarships at other schools and why you want to attend X school. I can try to find the stock e-mail I sent to a few schools that worked in a couple cases if you want to see what I'm talking about. Bottom line is definitely try it because it does work sometimes and it's a nice feeling when you save tens of thousands of dollars with a single e-mail.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

Yeah they are, at least as of my last pilgrimage last year. The most junior of them has been working there for something like 35 years.

So they aren't hiring is what you're saying

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Petey posted:

hey guys I posted about this awhile ago but it's finally live http://burgermap.org please contribute every little bit helps god bless

Closest thing to Ithaca is just outside of Rochester.

drat living in the lousy stinkin middle of nowhere.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

entris posted:

I posted a description of the French system maybe a year ago on this thread.

France: basically undergrad = 5 years at law university. There is generally one per city, 4 or 5 in Paris. Everybody can go! There is no requirement to attend 1st year of law university beside having graduated from high school. You start studying law your first year in undergrad. Its very competitive from the start because there are so many people, its common in 1st year and 2nd year to have a less than 50% pass rate. But the most difficult is to get a good 5th year program. Every university has dozens of 5th year programs, but only the most prestigious ones in each specialty will allow you to work in biglaw once you're a lawyer. Its common to have a less than 5% admittance rate in the best 5th year programs. Usually those programs wont care from which university you come from. Grades during your 4 previous years will count for about 90%, especially your grades during 4th year.

grad= lawyer school (about 2 years).

Its tough to get in lawyer school its a pretty hard exam which covers what you've studied during 5 years. We call it "le barreau", there are written and oral exams during 3 months. Its very similar to your bar exam. Except the pass rate is usually between 20% and 50% depending of where you take it.

There are about 10 lawyer schools in France, nobody cares which one you attended to.

What people will look at on your resume is where you did your 5th year, your grades during undergrad (no grades in lawyer school, once you're in its 99% pass), and your work experiences. While some law universities are more prestigious than others (Assas and La Sorbonne in Paris), its not that important, what is VERY important is your 5th year program (you can transfer from one university to another to attend a 5th year program, no problem). You can do 5 years in assas and go to a lovely 5th year, good law firms will not even call you for an interview.

Most biglaw in Paris will also appreciate if you've done a LLM in the US or in the UK, they want a perfect english. They also like people with business backgrounds in tax law, and will often favor them over regular law students. (but only business students from top business schools like HEC, Essec, ESCP).

Im 25, finishing lawyer school in Paris, i work in tax law which is very different from other fields of law. What counts the most is if you've done a top3 business school before. Those students are the kings of tax law, nobody cares about business students in other fields of law. If you haven't been to a bschool you better have had incredible grades at law university and attended the utmost prestigious/selective 5th year programs in tax law, if you want to work in big tax law firms. There are 5 such programs in France (equivalent of HYS). I got into one of them so there's a chance for me to get a good job. But I know business school students will always be favored over me, despite my excellent resume.

Presently I'm doing my final internship in the biggest tax law firm in France, every young associate in my team is a graduate from a top3 business school, so I know that even though Im good at what I do, my partners might not offer me a job in 4 months because my background lacks "prestige". I dont know though, I'm trying really really hard to secure an offer, we'll see.

Law university is public everywhere, so its pretty much free (500 euros/year), lawyer school is 1600 Euros for 2 years. Thats really nice. But then again even the most private business schools cost a total of 25k euros max for 3 or 4 years.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 19, 2011

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

entris posted:

. It's a lot more grade-based

In New Zealand, you can pretty much get a job in a big law firm no matter where you study, though obviously the more prestigious universities give you a better shot. Part of the reason, I think, is that there are much fewer law schools per capita in NZ than in the US, so law school prestige counts for much less and grades and connections for much more.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Macnigore posted:

Law university is public everywhere, so its pretty much free (500 euros/year), lawyer school is 1600 Euros for 2 years. Thats really nice. But then again even the most private business schools cost a total of 25k euros max for 3 or 4 years.
lmao america is such a shithole

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
We really are a third world country unless you're a CEO

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Petey posted:

hey guys I posted about this awhile ago but it's finally live http://burgermap.org please contribute every little bit helps god bless

had a pretty bomb rear end burger last night at christopher's in porter.

andouille & beef burger with tomatoes, onions, and roasted red peppers

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lilosh posted:

Closest thing to Ithaca is just outside of Rochester.

drat living in the lousy stinkin middle of nowhere.

If ever find yourself in Syracuse, Zebb's is pretty fantastic.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

Defleshed posted:

It depends.

In France your net salary is 50% of the gross salary. 50% of what your boss pays, pays for education, social security and pensions.

If I'm hired I'll have a very good salary, my gross will be about 60k. thats about 35k after all the taxes: 2900 Euros a month.

For a fresh lawyer grad it s a very very good salary. Usually its more around 2k euros in most lawfirms.

Im living in a flat in the center of paris, rent is 1800 Euros (we pays half/half with my gf). Social security is free, and I dont have to capitalize for my pension.

I'm okay with the french way...really. I've seen plenty of people coming from really poor backgrounds at law university and I'm proud to live in a country that allows that. Same for social security. I dont care if I make a ton of money in 15 years. Ill be happy to pay for the others. I mean if you let people choose for themselves, they will always, always keep everything for them. Our system forces everyone to contribute to the well being of the others.

However France is not idyllic. We have a right wing government, trying to change that since 15 years. Bit by bit they are dismantling this system and they are trying to give more to the rich, and less to everyone else. They justify it with bullshit motos like "work more to earn more" etc. Its 100% bullshit but it works incredibly well and the right wing has been in power for around 20 years now.

There are many inequalities, a lot of youth unemployment even with higher education. Housing is truly horrible in the paris area. Its impossible to buy a flat in Paris. I'm pretty sure we'll have to move far away in the suburbs with my GF, even though we have a lot of money thanks to inheritance, even if I have a lawyer job, it wont be enough.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 19, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Can anyone give me a rundown of legal life in midwest/southwest cities? I got some really helpful information about government/crim in NorCal last time I asked here, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about prospects further inland, and closer to Mexico.

More specifically, are Arizona/New Mexico DAs as broke as California offices? Does work in the Southwest help application in the Midwest/Cali, or are they completely isolated markets? And if I spend my summer in the Southwest, will I get laughed at if I try to go back to NY/PA/Maryland, or will I be okay?

Any advice at all is appreciated.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Defleshed posted:

Okay, some of this poo poo can go too far. My neighbor the aircraft mechanic, with 4 cars, a 52" flat screen, central air, and 4 kids (that he can actually support) begs to differ.

The inequalities are bullshit, but they are still (mostly) inequalities of the "poor" and middle class living better than 80% of the world, with the wealthy living far better than they should comparatively.

Good god I'm going to get all political, but I do think we can tend to forget what we have in this country. Just because law has become a particularly lovely gig for new graduates doesn't mean that life is over for all of America.

Of course, perhaps that has something to do with my having just watched a television show about South American gold prospectors who (as individuals wearing no protective gear) wander out into the jungle, mix a bunch of potentially gold bearing soil and loving MERCURY in a kid's wading pool, take the bits of gold (that the mercury binds to) by hand, and BURN OFF THE MERCURY WITH A BLOW TORCH while standing over and breathing in the fumes.

Good lord. Blowtorching off mercury by hand. Sheesh.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 19, 2011

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010
Is anyone aware of a good forum for discussing careers at the English bar (particularly in criminal law)?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Lancelot posted:

In New Zealand, you can pretty much get a job in a big law firm no matter where you study, though obviously the more prestigious universities give you a better shot. Part of the reason, I think, is that there are much fewer law schools per capita in NZ than in the US, so law school prestige counts for much less and grades and connections for much more.

If all six law schools listed on Wikipedia are legit, then this isn't true. New Zealand has a bit over four million people while the United States has 308 million.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

SlyFrog posted:

Okay, some of this poo poo can go too far. My neighbor the aircraft mechanic, with 4 cars, a 52" flat screen, central air, and 4 kids (that he can actually support) begs to differ.

The inequalities are bullshit, but they are still (mostly) inequalities of the "poor" and middle class living better than 80% of the world, with the wealthy living far better than they should comparatively.

Good god I'm going to get all political, but I do think we can tend to forget what we have in this country. Just because law has become a particularly lovely gig for new graduates doesn't mean that life is over for all of America.

Of course, perhaps that has something to do with my having just watched a television show about South American gold prospectors who (as individuals wearing no protective gear) wander out into the jungle, mix a bunch of potentially gold bearing soil and loving MERCURY in a kid's wading pool, take the bits of gold (that the mercury binds to) by hand, and BURN OFF THE MERCURY WITH A BLOW TORCH while standing over and breathing in the fumes.

Good lord. Blowtorching off mercury by hand. Sheesh.

Why should the miner complain when there is probably some poor schmuck in Somalia sitting the in ruins of his burned out village surrounded by the bodies of his family who would jump at the chance to peacefully huff mercury in the jungle? Just because someone somewhere in the world is worse off than you doesn't mean your problems don't matter too.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

GamingHyena posted:

Why should the miner complain when there is probably some poor schmuck in Somalia sitting the in ruins of his burned out village surrounded by the bodies of his family who would jump at the chance to peacefully huff mercury in the jungle? Just because someone somewhere in the world is worse off than you doesn't mean your problems don't matter too.

Because our problems can, at some point, become problems of abundance. There is a degree to which we really secretly (even if we don't want to admit it) want to be extremely wealthy and have everything at age 30.

It's also fine to be pissed off that the wealthy are hording wealth and positioning themselves to do so even more, and that the income divide is growing.

But there is a difference about being pissed off at relatively inequality and suggesting that we have it so bad that we are essentially a third world country.

Plus, there is a degree to which having gratitude for the things you do have (particularly when you are nowhere near having to huff mercury or sit surrounded by burned out bodies) helps you have a better life.

To be frank, the "we're third world" thing just caught me in the wrong way. Having just had a friend die in an honest to god third world country because they didn't bother to actually maintain the highway that caved out from under his 1980s car, something struck me as irritating about comparing that to high tuition costs for graduate school in the US.

In short, Buddhism, or something. Yeah.

EDIT: You know what, I get it. Someone posted another "hey, this sucks, we're like a third world country lol" exaggeration and I jumped down his throat. Obviously exaggerations like that are made all the time here. This one just bugged me for some personal circumstances that I've just experienced firsthand, had that not been the case, I would have certainly been all aboard the pity party myself.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 19, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
We're not a third world country, we're just the only first world country that allows so much poverty and inequality to exist and where your average person is one major health or property-related misfortune away from being in deep poo poo. But calling us a third world country is silly, I agree.

Edit: But in really bad inner-city neighborhoods and really poor rural areas, especially places in the US that still don't have running water, there really is no place to compare them to but the third world. Not Sub-Saharan Africa, but maybe Latin America and Asia.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
You need to consider the "shithole" comments in the context of the discussion though. When higher education is only available to a privileged few and the rest of the plebs have to do everything short of selling their souls to be something beyond a ditch-digger, it really does begin to look less like France and more like Nigeria.