Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you
Due to the praise in this thread I finally decided to check out the current Clone Wars show, and it's actually really good! I was hooked the first episode with Yoda and the two clone troopers. Good Stuff. The episodes with Jar Jar and some of the earlier Ahsoka episodes are annoying but I think overall this series is better than the PT. I think it's funny how nearly every episode ends like Empire Strikes Back with the characters with their backs turned looking out a window or into the distance while the credits wipe in.

While looking ahead to see how many episodes were aired in Season Three I noticed this (spoilering for those who prefer surprise) Chewbacca will appear in three episodes at the end of Season 3 http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/remaking-wookiee-chewbacca-becomes-a-character-on-star-wars-the-clone-wars/ this could be pretty awesome. His first appearance is in an episode called “Padawan Lost”, and that got me wondering if Ashoka will be leaving the Jedi Order or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Only thing I do wish Clone Wars did more episodes that focused on the Clones, or just non-main characters in general. Those are always the good ones. There's not as much tension with the main characters because we know they don't die, Ahsoka not counting.

The clones or even Jedi made up for the episode are just more interesting because there's a chance they could die during some of the more tense scenes and that in fact has happened on a few occasions.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

RagnarokAngel posted:

Only thing I do wish Clone Wars did more episodes that focused on the Clones, or just non-main characters in general. Those are always the good ones. There's not as much tension with the main characters because we know they don't die, Ahsoka not counting.

The clones or even Jedi made up for the episode are just more interesting because there's a chance they could die during some of the more tense scenes and that in fact has happened on a few occasions.

It's like that with most shows, though. It's not like anyone ever really thought Spock was going to die or any other main character from a TV show. There can still be some tension as you're wondering if they'll succeed or not as there are occasionally missions where they gently caress up.

I do agree that the best episodes don't feature the main characters, except Obi-Wan, he's pretty cool in this series.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
My favorite are honestly the ones with Ventress and/or Obi Wan. The voice acting is fantastic as is the lightsaber fight choreography.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched the first two seasons and found it to be decent, but not great. Haven't seen anything from this season because everything I've heard about sounds like it's on a Dark Nest/Darksaber/Jaxxon the Rabbit level of retardation.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Its literally hit or miss. The good is really good and the bad makes you want to gouge your eyes out.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

Casimir Radon posted:

After Shia threw coffee on him like the petulant child he is.

No, Han shoots first.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, you can't just let it hang there. What have they done now? :ohdear:

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but how has the Clone Wars show upstaged Force Cthulhu, you ask?

By bringing us Force God.

Yes, that's right, there is a whole family of Gods living on Kobol, I mean Kolob, I mean some weird planet. Oh yeah, and they directly embody different aspects of the Force so forget about whatever was left of the awesome reconceptualizing we got of the Force in Traitor and the few other high points in the NJO... back to our regularly scheduled Manicheanism.

I had a few more thoughts on the episodes this went down in. Cross-posting from the TVIV thread...

I posted:

Jorge is getting old, right? He's the master of this universe, but he's not gonna live forever, and wants his creation to make him money unfold according to dictates only he can ever fully understand... his ways are lost on the rest of us. People like Dave Filoni have their uses but they are ultimately just visitors to the higher plane of of existence that is Mortis/Skywalker ranch.

So you've got the Father/Jorge living all alone up on the ranch/Mortis with his Son and Daughter, right? Basic Freudian/Campbellian twist: Son is dark, tends to ruin things (Jorge's actual son apparently came up with the name Jar Jar Binks and had a pointless, dumb, distracting lightsaber cameo in Revenge of the Sith), wants to kill Father and possibly give Daughter some :quagmire:. Daughter is light, tends to be helpful and collaborate with the father (much like Lucas's works on the show and has written some non-lovely episodes, and isn't particularly show-stealing with the cameos that went her way) , but also has her own ideas that are against his wishes since she's the champion of pure light unbalanced by darkness (in making the show non-lovely at various points, no doubt much of Jorge's own influence is defied).

Now, I'm not saying the whole thing makes sense because we don't know what the Son running off into the wide galaxy really means in the story, much less in real life. (Jorge Jr. will sell off all the rights to the franchise piecemeal and buy Neverland or something?) But clearly Jorge has some real anxieties about what will become of his creative products once he's dead and gone and probably has some issues to work out with his son. Ultimately, creative control of the franchise might well end up in the hands of lesser "chosen" mortals like Anakin/Filoni if he cannot trust it within the family.

(Apparently he has another daughter as well, but she apparently got sick and tired of these Star Wars and went off to be an ultimate fighter or something. :ssh: Still goony as hell, but far less sedentary/pathetic/ludicrous than the rest of the family.)

Not sure if we need spoilers after a week, but just in case. And to add insult to injury, the Son is voiced by Starkiller.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 20, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Not sure if we need spoilers after a week, but just in case. And to add insult to injury, the Son is voiced by Starkiller.

The sister was voiced by the Dark Jedi woman from Force Unleashed, as well.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but how has the Clone Wars show upstaged Force Cthulhu, you ask?

By bringing us Force God.

Yes, that's right, there is a whole family of Gods living on Kobol, I mean Kolob, I mean some weird planet. Oh yeah, and they directly embody different aspects of the Force so forget about whatever was left of the awesome reconceptualizing we got of the Force in Traitor and the few other high points in the NJO... back to our regularly scheduled Manicheanism.

I had a few more thoughts on the episodes this went down in. Cross-posting from the TVIV thread...

In fairness, that arc was entirely hyperbolic. There's no literal "Force God" and Mortis isn't an actual place in the Star Wars galaxy. The entire thing was meant to be analogous to the Force cave in Empire.

That's not to say it was done well.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

NGL posted:

In fairness, that arc was entirely hyperbolic. There's no literal "Force God" and Mortis isn't an actual place in the Star Wars galaxy. The entire thing was meant to be analogous to the Force cave in Empire.

That's not to say it was done well.

This week was much better than the Mortis septic tank story arc. Lots of homages to ESB.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That episode was such a loving cocktease. (Spoilering, possibly over-aggressively.)

Obviously he'd have to forget about that poo poo unless Jorge is willing to create an entire new EU branch -- which would actually be an interesting way to keep the material fresh.

But it was like, couldn't you have A. had him be aware of his future for like more than two minutes? And B. perhaps he could have NOT gotten Sith corpse paint face immediately? Or does the Dark Side automatically turn you into Dethklok now?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

The sister was voiced by the Dark Jedi woman from Force Unleashed, as well.

Yeah, but ultimately I'm more okay with scantily clad Force witches riding big ol' wild rancors (if you know what I mean), than with the convergence of supernovae of bad ideas that comprise Starkiller.

NGL posted:

Filoni implied that in his commentary, but it sounds like a lot of damage control and/or code for "George thought this would be cool as all hell, so what are ya gonna do?"

So far at least, the kiddies at Wookieepedia are playing it straight. Of course, they're terrible idiot neckbeard manchildren, but who are we to judge?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 20, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NGL posted:

Looks like we have ourselves a regular Han Solo-Force Atheist, boys. :smug:

Get the ropes.

The space ropes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

The space ropes.
You'd better not, I'm calling the Space Poverty Law Center.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Dust off the space tree boys, time for a good ole' dangling!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Aww lets just fix the hyperdrive on the corellian cruiser and pull him around out back at light speed for a few parsecs.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I now have the image in my head of trying to hang someone in zero-g and them just floating there after the trap door opens. The crowd waits impatiently...

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

You'd think just spacing someone without a helmet would work, but this is Star Wars so not always, no.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KaosFactor posted:

I now have the image in my head of trying to hang someone in zero-g and them just floating there after the trap door opens. The crowd waits impatiently...

Well we know from Lucas that you can't wear underwear in zero-gravity because your body will expand and strangle you in your bra straps.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Mister Roboto posted:

Get the ropes.

The space ropes.

Lightwhips?

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Force resistant vibro-ropes

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

TheLoquid posted:

Made from cortosis weave.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

TheLoquid posted:

The target is only 2 centimeters wide. The rope is ray-shielded so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

Edit: Wait a second, why would you ray-shield a thermal exhaust port? Neutralizing the capability of ray-based energy emissions to pass to and from a thermal exhaust port kinda defeats the whole purpose of having one.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 20, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A better question is why a station the size of a small moon has a single thermal exhaust port.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
It has a main port, what ever that is.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

NeonTurtle posted:

Edit: Wait a second, why would you ray-shield a thermal exhaust port? Neutralizing the capability of ray-based energy emissions to pass to and from a thermal exhaust port kinda defeats the whole purpose of having one.

Maybe it's like a one way mirror

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

NeonTurtle posted:

It probably vents hot gas - hence, "thermal exhaust port" rather than "lots of giant heatsink radiator fins".

:goonsay:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Captain von Trapp posted:

It probably vents hot gas - hence, "thermal exhaust port" rather than "lots of giant heatsink radiator fins".

:goonsay:

Great, now I'm picturing X-wings flying around a giant, Ace Combat-esque rotating radiator fin assembly.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Where is the heat escaping to, anyway? The vacuum of sound-transmitting space? :smug:

E: Didn't read Captain Von Trapp's post carefully enough. :blush:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

NeonTurtle posted:

The target is only 2 centimeters wide. The rope is ray-shielded so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

You're asking questions of engineers who have never heard of guardrails.

Crow T Bard
Nov 6, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You're asking questions of engineers who have never heard of guardrails.

To be fair, the lack of guardrails was done on part to prevent railing kills.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Pththya-lyi posted:

Where is the heat escaping to, anyway? The vacuum of sound-transmitting space? :smug:

Your mention of sound in space combined with the Death Star's exhaust port made me realize that the Rebels would have been stopped by a (space) whistler tip. Actually, didn't ol' Bub Rub have a bit of a Vader silhouette?

I've been reading this thread so long that ancient internet videos are taking on new meaning.

New questions spurred by the most recent Clone Wars:

1) Do those little pig things from Bespin have some sort of exclusive union agreement on carbon freezing?

2) I thought carbon freezing was risky, uncertain, and "crude". Why did Vader need to test it on Han if he and all his buddies were willing to just dive right in with no consequence?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Derek Dominoe posted:

1) Do those little pig things from Bespin have some sort of exclusive union agreement on carbon freezing?

2) I thought carbon freezing was risky, uncertain, and "crude". Why did Vader need to test it on Han if he and all his buddies were willing to just dive right in with no consequence?

As for point 2, the first facility we saw wasn't meant for life forms. Presumably this one was, despite looking as much like the first one we saw as possible...

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

For point one, probably because they want to "evoke the feel of the iconic scene from the original films and :downswords:..."

(It's like poetry.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
:eng101:The pig people are called Ugnaughts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

:eng101:The pig people are called Ugnaughts.
Well all space pigs look the same to me :clint:

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Well, since you brought it up...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Watched the Rifftrax of the Star Wars Holiday Special tonight with some friends. I have no clue at all what anyone involved with that abomination could have been thinking. There must have literally been an army of people working on that train wreck, and no one said "hey guys, this isn't a very good idea."? We watched The Room right after and I honestly don't know which was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

I don't know, but I hope they're part of an evil freezing racket because I killed the poo poo out of every one I saw in Jedi Outcast.