Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

less than three posted:

I just called Telus to request a seperate Modem/TV setup and she said that it's not a problem, that the installer will have a modem for the internet and a STB for the television. :confuoot:

Odd considering DSLReports seems to say the opposite. She told me when the installer comes to my place to discuss what kind of set up that I want.

You know, if you spoke to a care (customer service) and not an assure (tech support) agent they probably had no idea what you were talking about. Judging from your post I do not think you will get what you asked.

the STB is the Set-top-box, it's not a modem...

anyway, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.
Data Usage Included wasn't on MTS' website a few weeks ago. :( Although reading between the lines they still aren't charging for it, and my usage has been above my cap every month with no reprecussions.

Still, seems like they're preparing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

AskYourself posted:

You know, if you spoke to a care (customer service) and not an assure (tech support) agent they probably had no idea what you were talking about. Judging from your post I do not think you will get what you asked.

the STB is the Set-top-box, it's not a modem...

anyway, good luck.

Telus guy is in my place right now setting up. We'll see what I get. I'm not expecting to get it, but hey maybe I'll luck out.

edit: Nope. Got a Cisco CIS330 and Actiontek V1000H.

I asked if he had any ALU, Alcatel or D-Link left and he said no. :smith:

So much for my beautiful Netgear WNR3500. If this Actiontek sucks particularly badly I won't be staying.

@priznat: It seems the V1000H has wireless N.

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 19, 2011

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Migishu posted:

More proof that Macleans is the worst magazine of all time

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/18/the-internet-should-be-fair-not-free-to-everyone/

I especially enjoyed this part:

The comments are awesome.
Tony clement sperging out over it on twitter was a sight to behold, I tell you what.

And, yeah, the Coyne/Whyte regime is taking a once-boring-but-respectable magazine and basically turning it into the National Review with extra "u"s in the words. It's just sad that there's no immediate competitor to take advantage of this.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nomenklatura posted:

Tony clement sperging out over it on twitter was a sight to behold, I tell you what.

And, yeah, the Coyne/Whyte regime is taking a once-boring-but-respectable magazine and basically turning it into the National Review with extra "u"s in the words. It's just sad that there's no immediate competitor to take advantage of this.

I found your comment of no immediate competitor quite amusing :q: Too bad we don't have real competitors in a number of fields here in the great white north :smith:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nomenklatura posted:

TVO's Jesse Brown (he used to do that tech show Search Engine for CBC Radio before moving to TVO) recently got hired to blog for Macleans, and his response tweet-rant is pretty impressive too (although it lacks the sheer glee of hearing a Conservative cabinet minister admit that unchecked corporate power isn't "invisible-hand fairness").

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Whoo, Telus install was painless.

Suck it, Shaw! :haw:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
booooo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

less than three posted:

Whoo, Telus install was painless.

Suck it, Shaw! :haw:

Awesome! My installer should be here any minute (he called and said, 1:30-2pm, ticktock!) and I'm getting the tv setup too.

Can the modem->tv tuner just get plugged into any phone jack in the house or is there special beefier cable required? Because my living room is being reno'd right now (bad timing on this one) and my tv etc is in the guest br.. Ah well can figure it out when he gets here.

Also is it fairly straightforward to disable the wireless etc on their modem? Any port forwarding weirdness so far?

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 19, 2011

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cogecrap. Hopefully that speedtest didn't blow through my tiny bandwidth limit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Awesome! My installer should be here any minute (he called and said, 1:30-2pm, ticktock!) and I'm getting the tv setup too.

Can the modem->tv tuner just get plugged into any phone jack in the house or is there special beefier cable required? Because my living room is being reno'd right now (bad timing on this one) and my tv etc is in the guest br.. Ah well can figure it out when he gets here.

Also is it fairly straightforward to disable the wireless etc on their modem? Any port forwarding weirdness so far?

The modem plugs into any phone jack.

The TVs are connected to the modem/router either via Ethernet or Coax. They decided to do ethernet for mine.

They installed an ethernet wall jack next to my modem (bedroom) and converted the phone jack in the living room to ethernet (somehow). The TV STB plugs into the ethernet jack in the wall, the other side plugging into one of the LAN jacks on the router.

There's no static DHCP, wireless can be disabled easily. Port forwarding is pretty basic, but is working well so far.

edit: Are you in Vancouver? You're probably the install after mine. Filipino guy named Lee.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 19, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, that sounds good. On the "to-do" list is running cat5e/6 throughout the basement (it's going to be reno'd next) and I can just pop up to the main floor too.

Guess the guy is running late, dang.

edit: no I'm out in Coquitlam, I got a call from the installer earlier (Andre) letting me know he'd be around between 1:30-2.

My friend in NV got picked up by her installer :haw:

edit2: he just got here

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Cogecrap. Hopefully that speedtest didn't blow through my tiny bandwidth limit.

Here's my Cogecrap :v:

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Dallan Invictus posted:

TVO's Jesse Brown (he used to do that tech show Search Engine for CBC Radio before moving to TVO) recently got hired to blog for Macleans, and his response tweet-rant is pretty impressive too (although it lacks the sheer glee of hearing a Conservative cabinet minister admit that unchecked corporate power isn't "invisible-hand fairness").
Wow. Wonder how long it'll be before Coyne and Whyte have him shitcanned?

(Or, like Kady, he moves on to greener pastures.)

Edit: Yeah, I didn't notice that. That was a BIG admission by Tony; drawing the distinction between apologizing for corps and supporting having real markets within the context of Canadian "pro-business" people is just astonishing. Damned sight better than Bernier was.

(Who the gently caress would have guessed that motherfucking Landslide Tony would turn into the best member of the Tory caucus?)

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 19, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

(Hughesnet has this weird thing where sites think I'm using a proxy and that I live in the US, hence the distance)

This and a 500 mb rolling 24-hour bandwidth limit. Rural life at its finest.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I got invited to one of the Shaw open houses in Vancouver. This should be interesting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

drat, that's harsh, and why I'll never be able to live anywhere even remotely rural.

I would have quoted this entire post but I was afraid it would knock you offline for the day :smith:

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

I don't think my ping is supposed to be that high.

When I was looking around for other ISP's the last time I switched and when UBB was going to be implemented, Cogeco always seemed to have a much shittier selection of packages than everyone else. Teksavvy's website says my postal code (in Oakville) is in their cable coverage area, but I thought that was only available where Rogers was available.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Martytoof posted:

drat, that's harsh, and why I'll never be able to live anywhere even remotely rural.

I would have quoted this entire post but I was afraid it would knock you offline for the day :smith:

That's pretty much how it works. Even if I avoid the image/gif heavy threads, I have to watch my bandwidth usage just from checking for new posts in marked threads. 500 mb is also a paid increase from the normal limit, which is somewhere in the 350 range I think. On the plus side, there is unlimited usage from 2-7 AM, so with that speed I can at least get a couple gigs worth of stuff overnight.

Thankfully, it's actually my parents' connection, so once I move out again I can go back to using TekSavvy. And in a couple years when my parents' contract is finished, I think Bell has finally gotten some service out here, so they can switch too.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lucky13pjn posted:

When I was looking around for other ISP's the last time I switched and when UBB was going to be implemented, Cogeco always seemed to have a much shittier selection of packages than everyone else. Teksavvy's website says my postal code (in Oakville) is in their cable coverage area, but I thought that was only available where Rogers was available.

Teksavvy partnered with Cogeco as well (and Videotron in Quebec). Their postal code checker isn't perfect, but give them a call and they can check out your location and tell you for sure.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
TELUS Trip report!

Aside from the excellent speeds, turns out my ping times are like half of what I was getting on Shaw, which is unexpected and amazing!

West Coast (Seattle)
Pinging 67.228.118.21 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.228.118.21: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 67.228.118.21:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 11ms

East Coast (Washington DC)
Pinging 208.43.118.51 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 208.43.118.51: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=45
Reply from 208.43.118.51: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=45
Reply from 208.43.118.51: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=45
Reply from 208.43.118.51: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 208.43.118.51:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 81ms, Maximum = 82ms, Average = 81ms

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Not too bad, pretty equivalent to Shaw's. Definitely not worse. I'm out in the wilds of Coquitlam and we don't have Turbo out here. I asked the installer (great guy btw) about when that would be coming out and he didn't really know but it is highly dependant on how the signal is routed from the street modem location (which is a couple blocks over, apparently) and if they stuff has been updated.

The tv box is pretty kickass though, so much nicer menu-wise than shaw. It's kind of pathetic how sucky the shaw one is now. Also unfortunately I can only record 1 HD show at a time, and 2 SD ones. That's a bit of a bummer too.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Armor-Piercing posted:

(Hughesnet has this weird thing where sites think I'm using a proxy and that I live in the US, hence the distance)

Wow, and I thought I'd have the shittiest connection here.

Though keep in mind my test server is probably about ten klicks away.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:D

Speed test never works right for me with shaw, it chugs at 10mbps then jumps to some insane number at the last second

edit: bonus from the phone:

Click here for the full 724x1242 image.

forgive the poo poo webcam snap.

Shaw is supposed to be sending info on how to swap out for a docsis 3.0 modem, but so far nothin.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 20, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Just got set up at my dad's. Not bad, all things considered, including the fact that this is Winnipeg.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

EoRaptor posted:

Teksavvy partnered with Cogeco as well (and Videotron in Quebec). Their postal code checker isn't perfect, but give them a call and they can check out your location and tell you for sure.

When was this? I called them earlier this week and Teksavvy couldn't hook me up because I'm in a Cogeco area even though I could walk outside for five minutes and hit a Rogers-connected house.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

And now that peek hours are over I get an extra 13 Mbits of downstream.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
No difference in peak/off-peak for me.

Still the same.

It seems though that some bandwidth is permanently reserved for Optik TV. This is what my modem has right now for connection speed:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That's normal for Telus. It's got to do with the technology used. When I was with Telus my DSL was really consistent, I assume optik is the same. My understanding is it's because you don't share part of your total capacity with your neighbours. I live in a very densely populated neighbourhood.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks for your help guys. I got out of the 'deal' and I've now signed up with Distributel. I should be getting unlimited bandwidth and 15mbps/1.5mbps starting March 2nd for just 50$ a month. For anyone in Ontario or Quebec who has access to cable internet it's worth a check if they're available in your area. Unless you have a better deal of course.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
drat. I wish I had any one of your upload speeds.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
As much as I bitch about Videotron they got some great speeds. Other than that they're just as bad as Bell.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dudebro posted:

When was this? I called them earlier this week and Teksavvy couldn't hook me up because I'm in a Cogeco area even though I could walk outside for five minutes and hit a Rogers-connected house.

Crap, I thought they'd signed with Cogeco, but it turns out not:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25114737-Cable-CABLE-STATUS-February-17th

Sorry.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Speedtest always shows bogus numbers for me.

I can only dream:

:allears:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah Speedtest always shows bogus numbers for me.

I can only dream:

:allears:

Dude, you just used up your monthly bandwidth running that Speedtest.

But, it's only fair. *ba-doom TSH*

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I can understand the CRTC's mandate to limit foreign influence on our broadcasts, but I've never understood why this extended to the infrastructure as well. In terms of service providers, outside companies mean fair competition.

Also, the CRTC is the only government institution I know of that still uses the term 'foreigners'.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:(

Normally it's a bit better (5 down, 0.5 up) but I can't wait for them to get cable out here.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 20, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

:D

Haha! Try the Java one instead.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

less than three posted:

No difference in peak/off-peak for me.

Still the same.

It seems though that some bandwidth is permanently reserved for Optik TV. This is what my modem has right now for connection speed:

Weird, I just had my Telus put in and my SpeedTest numbers are nothing like yours (even though my modem is reporting the same speeds). At best I was getting about 6 Mbit down and 1 up. As far as I know I'm on the same plan as you as I jumped on the $15 deal as well. Is the speed going to be dependent on my building's distance to a DSLAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
In related news: WTF CRTC