Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GWBBQ posted:

Size 675 zinc-air batteries are the same voltage as the old mercury cells and the same form factor. You'll still have to wedge the foil in but the voltage will be spot on.

Get some here
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Pr675-D6A-PR675-Battery-Multipack/dp/B0009U7C6G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892577&sr=8-2

Or get a big pack since they only last a week or two once opened.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-Hza675-60-Premium-Hearing-Batteries/dp/B0048LXM0M/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1297892746&sr=8-17

I will try to find that, but I live in Taiwan, so I can't exactly order off of Amazon. Thanks for the replies.

The other thing I have been having trouble with is finding a tank for developing the film. Every shop I have went to tells me film is outdated and I shouldn't bother with it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sevn posted:

I will try to find that, but I live in Taiwan, so I can't exactly order off of Amazon. Thanks for the replies.
The biggest use for them is hearing aids. Pretty much every pharmacy and supermarket in the US has them so I'd assume you could find a place that sells them there.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
I posted this in the Buy/Sell thread but I thought you guys would be interested as well:

spotted this on the local Craig's List Yard Sale ads:

Vintage antique cameras and accessories, box cameras, old 35mm, Kodak, old Polaroid with bellows, pocket vest, Olympus xa, old flash bulb flash sets, old travel tripods
2 waterproof (10 foot) working canon 35 mm film cameras
Minolta maxxum Sony alpha lenses 35-80 zoom, 135 2.8 tele, 500 reflex (mirror) Maxxum 9xi camera
Minolta ringflash, & more lenses. Bag of olympus om lens and body caps, other photography gear
Gitzo ball head (new)
Old school portable flash with power pack, 3 heads, stands bought at Peace camera years ago. good intro level way to practice studio photography for cheap
Nikon 72mm CPL filter, new in box

Yes, I'm going to actually get my rear end up and be a freaking hour away from my house for this yard sale. I'm looking at the Olympus xa and the old school flashes/stands. Anyone else want me to check into anything? Not sure I really need that XA and I know there are a bunch of people that do.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sent you a PM :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sent you a PM :)

same

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
The owner of that photo store has given me permission to share the spreadsheet I've been making. This is what I've tagged and tested so far. Keep in mind that these were all from the "display only" shelves, so they're not the regular stock.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArsyVuWUgxpRdGlQTWVHRjNWQXR5b1JXVjQxTDBYSFE&hl=en&authkey=CJra96YF

Probably about halfway through the display stuff by now, so the list will continue to grow quite a bit. If you see anything in there that interests you, let me know and I'll try to get you in touch with the owner.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 18, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Posting to revel in my self-organization:

Not storing it in a freezer, just room temp. Most of the unboxed 35mm is expired already. Just something to have fun with!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Nannypea posted:

I posted this in the Buy/Sell thread but I thought you guys would be interested as well:

spotted this on the local Craig's List Yard Sale ads:

Olympus xa,

!!! Would love to get the Olympus XA, how much is it?

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Sirkus posted:

!!! Would love to get the Olympus XA, how much is it?

No ideas on any prices until I get there :( and AIIAZNSK8ER already has dibs on the XA

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

pseudonordic posted:

Posting to revel in my self-organization:

Not storing it in a freezer, just room temp. Most of the unboxed 35mm is expired already. Just something to have fun with!

Put those in the fridge heathen! :argh:

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

The owner of that photo store has given me permission to share the spreadsheet I've been making. This is what I've tagged and tested so far. Keep in mind that these were all from the "display only" shelves, so they're not the regular stock.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArsyVuWUgxpRdGlQTWVHRjNWQXR5b1JXVjQxTDBYSFE&hl=en&authkey=CJra96YF

Probably about halfway through the display stuff by now, so the list will continue to grow quite a bit. If you see anything in there that interests you, let me know and I'll try to get you in touch with the owner.

You got the PMs? I'm interested in one.

edit: Replied to your buy/sell thread. You can also email me at mystikal99 at hotmail

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 18, 2011

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

8th-samurai posted:

Put those in the fridge heathen! :argh:

I thought the same thing. Velvia, room temp?

As to add content to the post anyone use either Rollei's, or efke's infrared offerings? Specifically how much of a pain were they to deal with pre processing, and processing? If I do get some I will be buying a few IR filters.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 18, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ferris Bueller posted:

I thought the same thing. Velvia, room temp?

The Velvia 35mm was expired and room temp when I bought it for $1. The 120 just recently expired. I'll talk to the wife about how much space she'll let me have for film in the fridge. :3:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

The Velvia 35mm was expired and room temp when I bought it for $1. The 120 just recently expired. I'll talk to the wife about how much space she'll let me have for film in the fridge. :3:

Ah I understand. Often I get the "what's this doing in here," when something from my hobbies needs to be in an electrically cooled device that often is the territory of a member of the female persuasion. Jealously guarded territory at that*.

*I think I'm slowly breaking down mine into my thought of his and hers fridges. Brewing beer just takes up too much fridge space, and really, everyone needs a tap house in their house.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
This is total White People Problems, but after having taken it on a few shoots, I'm 100% convinced that my Contax rangefinder makes sharper pictures than my Leica SLR with Summicron glass. I've always heard that rangefinders (with good glass) are sharper than an SLR with similar quality, but I expected that to be more of a theoretical thing for nerds who shoot targets. It's pretty obvious to see in the negatives and prints, however.
It's pretty annoying because as much as I love my G1, I prefer to shoot with an SLR, and the R8 is pure utilitarian sex. It's going to make me sperg out when I use it, knowing I could be getting sharper negs with the rangefinder.

tl;dr- Oh bother, my Ferrari is faster, but the Bentley is oh-so-comfortable! :monocle:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The only reason a rangefinder could theoretically give you sharper images would be that you are, in fact, focusing more accurately.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Reichstag posted:

The only reason a rangefinder could theoretically give you sharper images would be that you are, in fact, focusing more accurately.

A rangefinder is sharper because the lens is positioned closer to the film plane.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

A rangefinder is sharper because the lens is positioned closer to the film plane.
Really? If that's true, then different manufacturer camera mounts should have different sharpness with the same (3rd-party) lens. One of the reasons you can't just stick an adaptor on a Minolta lens and focus at infinity on a Pentax body is the Minolta lens' plane of focus at infinity is closer to the back of the lens (i.e. the flange focal distance is different). Or is the difference in distance between a typical 35mm SLR (about 40 to 46mm) and a typical rangefinder (about 28-29mm) so much greater than the difference between SLR FFDs* that nobody would notice a sharpness effect there?

* From Wikipedia
Canon FD mount 42mm
Nikon F mount 46.5mm

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Really? If that's true, then different manufacturer camera mounts should have different sharpness with the same (3rd-party) lens. One of the reasons you can't just stick an adaptor on a Minolta lens and focus at infinity on a Pentax body is the Minolta lens' plane of focus at infinity is closer to the back of the lens (i.e. the flange focal distance is different). Or is the difference in distance between a typical 35mm SLR (about 40 to 46mm) and a typical rangefinder (about 28-29mm) so much greater than the difference between SLR FFDs* that nobody would notice a sharpness effect there?

* From Wikipedia
Canon FD mount 42mm
Nikon F mount 46.5mm

Well like I said, I didn't think the difference would be something you could see without pixel peeping a target. I've noticed a small difference in sharpness between my Nikon and Leica SLRs, but just attributed that to the quality of the lenses. Going up to the rangefinder so far has been almost as dramatic as the difference between 35mm and medium format. Or at least the increase in detail from Tri-X to Pan-F.
So yeah, I don't think the differences between the different 35mm systems amount to all that much when a rangefinder sits so much closer. I'm not sure about other lenses, but the rear element of the widest Contax G lens sits 6mm off the shutter. There's no way to get even nearly that close on an SLR.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The difference between top of the line lenses on any 35mm system is so small as to be absolutely meaningless in real use.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Reichstag posted:

The difference between top of the line lenses on any 35mm system is so small as to be absolutely meaningless in real use.

I would have agreed with you until I saw it for myself.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
bokeh

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

bokeh

Game, set, match.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

GWBBQ posted:

If there isn't a local lab that does it, mail it out to somewhere reputable. Someone here did a comparison of getting film developed in NYC, NJ, and mailing it to them, and mailing it to Dwayne's in Kansas ended up being the cheapest if you can wait.

Ha, well I'm in Jersey and everything is close by in this state. Now, I just gotta figure out WHO does it.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Arrrgh.
Loading 120 film into a Paterson plastic reel is officially the Worst Thing.
Took like half an hour to finally get the damned film to stay on there, and by that point, I was so frustrated that I forgot to put the black core back into the thing and fogged the first third of the roll before I realized my mistake.

:argh:

Despite that, my first roll through my newly acquired $20 Ansco Titan looks pretty dope. 6x6 folder from the 1950's, sunny 16'd it with Plus-X down by a beach amusement park that's closed for the season.

e: huh, it looks like there are tiny spots all over everything...

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 20, 2011

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Arrrgh.
After having developed around 10 rolls of 120 in my Paterson I've reached the conclusion that sometimes you just get a roll that curls more and is much harder to load, because the inner end will literally jump off the reel. The best thing to do then is roll the film back up on the spool, but reversed, and leave it on for an hour or two so it will curl a little less.
I don't know if that risks damaging the pictures, but it works.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

e: huh, it looks like there are tiny spots all over everything...

Like "holes" in the pictures? Seems that happens if you don't properly wipe the water off during drying.
Or is it just the grain?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tempest815 posted:

Ha, well I'm in Jersey and everything is close by in this state. Now, I just gotta figure out WHO does it.
What I was saying is that it's apparently cheaper to mail it to Dwayne's, known for high quality work, than getting it done locally.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I recently found a bunch of Kodax MAX 400 and Agfa Vista 200 at my parents house. They're at least 10 years past expiration and were stored at room temp. Is it even worth shooting them?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What else are you gonna do with film? Just don't shoot anything super important, I bet you'll find some interesting colour or grain effects on film like that.

Browse the flickr groups to get some ideas: http://www.flickr.com/groups/expired/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I got what seems to be some decent photos on a 10 year expired Ektachrome 160. I just need a way to scan it :downs:

Edit: Here's one. I processed the camera raw to get the colours reasonably close to the actual slide.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 20, 2011

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

spf3million posted:

I recently found a bunch of Kodax MAX 400 and Agfa Vista 200 at my parents house. They're at least 10 years past expiration and were stored at room temp. Is it even worth shooting them?

I had a roll of Agfa Vista 200 that was likely about the same age when I shot it and was stored in the same conditions. This was how it came out in terms of colors: http://i.imgur.com/TNoGE.jpg

It wasn't horrible, everything just looked less vibrant and more pale.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

What else are you gonna do with film? Just don't shoot anything super important, I bet you'll find some interesting colour or grain effects on film like that.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just didn't know if anything would show up at all or if it'd just be some color shifting/hazing etc.

beeker posted:

I had a roll of Agfa Vista 200 that was likely about the same age when I shot it and was stored in the same conditions. This was how it came out in terms of colors: http://i.imgur.com/TNoGE.jpg

It wasn't horrible, everything just looked less vibrant and more pale.
Alright, cool. Thanks for posting an example.

Now I just need to find a place to develop and scan photos in Bangkok.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Arrrgh.
Took like half an hour to finally get the damned film to stay on there, and by that point, I was so frustrated that I forgot to put the black core back into the thing and fogged the first third of the roll before I realized my mistake.

I've found that you have to work that film lip(especially if it has a hard curl like all the tri x I've had,) one at a time trough the bearings then pull the film trough a complete rotation, on the reel. Then I start walking it onto the reel.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

nielsm posted:

I got what seems to be some decent photos on a 10 year expired Ektachrome 160. I just need a way to scan it :downs:

Edit: Here's one. I processed the camera raw to get the colours reasonably close to the actual slide.

Some of my favorite colored shots have come from very expired Ektachrome, the ended up being quite unsaturated and warm at the same time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Not color film, but I shot some HP5+ that had been sitting in a box in my friend's closet for ten years, and been in the box who knows how long before that. Shot one at 800 and one at 1600, and most of the pictures came out great (though the 1600 one was too foggy to see the picture through in bits).

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Ferris Bueller posted:

I've found that you have to work that film lip(especially if it has a hard curl like all the tri x I've had,) one at a time trough the bearings then pull the film trough a complete rotation, on the reel. Then I start walking it onto the reel.

The problem was that it kept falling out of the bearings after I had half of the roll onto the reel, and once that happened, the walking motion would just reverse it. Got it to eventually work by just holding my thumbs right on the bearings the whole time. I think it was just a particularly curly roll, it's been awhile since I've used black and white in 120.

nielsm posted:

Like "holes" in the pictures? Seems that happens if you don't properly wipe the water off during drying.
Or is it just the grain?

There are these little tiny specks all over the skies, surrounded by oblong washed-out rings that join together if the specks are close enough. The pattern is pretty random and different in each one. I'm wondering if all my manhandling got dust all over the film before the chemicals hit it, or if water specks dried strangely around dust? I did use photoflow and a drying cabinet.

Laptop charger broke so now my laptop and scanner are both unusable, damned thing is a hundred bucks and it's out of stock too... once a new one arrives, I'll scan and post one of those weird frames.

spf3million posted:

Yes. Go shoot it. If you're worried about wasting money, just ask for "Develop Only." Most of the color film I've been using lately is at least that old.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I bought an Oly OM-2 Program from a friend and if things work out, I'm going to get a 50mm to put on it and take it on a family trip to Paris this summer. Is the general rule of thumb on film still to take it in a baggie and have it hand-inspected?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, in a bag, and out of their boxes and plastic containers.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Pushed my first roll of film today. I was pretty convinced that I was going to blow it somehow, but the photos came out great. This was a test roll of HP5 through my silly new OM77AF - seen here through an old vivitar 28mm f/2.5 that is somehow super foggy:

Here are some shots through the kit 50 1.8:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, in a bag, and out of their boxes and plastic containers.

Awesome, thanks :toot: