Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Are you certain she hasn't been able to get into anything other than her own food? I always get suspicious when the cats aren't bugging me for food... I then go searching for the cat food bag they've (usually) stolen away and ripped open, eating several pounds of food and turning into lumps for several hours.

Yep, she's barely been out of my sight since Monday. But when my wife got home, she tried to feed her and she ate just fine. And she's crazy energetic like she was before she got sick this week. Maybe it was just the last stand of whatever bug she had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
My roommate's dog knicked my girlfriend's chihuahua mutt and broke the skin.

It is a very small wound (maybe 1/8th of an inch across) and it is not bleeding profusely. If it were on my skin I would be pissed about it but it would definitely not be doctor-worthy. Is it vet worthy? What makes a wound vet-worthy?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Fascinator posted:

You sure your dog isn't a serial killer in the making? :)

Mine just shreds them. Shaking, tearing, throwing. It's very visceral.

I'm actually more than half convinced she's a reincarnated serial killer. With the exception of the one teddy bear, she's done to that every stuffed animal I've given her since she was a puppy. And when I say she lays the appendages out in a straight line, I mean a perfectly straight line. You could take a ruler to it. She has an eyeball left over from a stuffed lamb she has once. She'll occasionally dig it out of the toy-basket and carry it around for a few days. She's kinda creepy sometimes. :)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

skoolmunkee posted:

The offhand way you ask that makes it sound like you are not actually serious.

If you are actually serious then you need to provide more information about your lifestyle, level of commitment, experience with dogs, etc in order to get a serious answer.

But that is a pretty dog. :]
Yeah, sorry. I was being serious. I've been thinking about eventually adding another dog to our household. I do have experience with sighthounds, having grown up with a retired greyhound, and I think one would fit well into our family. So I'm not too concerned about that side of things. I guess I was just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on this breed, since it's such a new breed and I don't know what, if any, issues come with that.

Also I wanted to share a pretty picture :3:

If anyone who has experience with breeders has a few minutes to check out these two and tell me if/why they're horrible, I'd appreciate it. They're the only ones in my state. I'm not sure what to look for aside from them saying they do health testing, and I believe at least the second one does.
http://tangaloor.net/
http://www.aigrettesilkens.com/

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

Yep, she's barely been out of my sight since Monday. But when my wife got home, she tried to feed her and she ate just fine. And she's crazy energetic like she was before she got sick this week. Maybe it was just the last stand of whatever bug she had?

It's also possible that she's responding to your emotions, so if you're really worried, she might get nervous about it and not know what's really going on. Or if you've manhandled her at all trying to get her to eat/drink/go to the vet recently, she might be wary of you trying to do it again.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
My cat, Monster, has been having an excess of eye boogers lately. Really, really goopy ones. He's very cuddly (with me) so I just clean them out whenever I see them, which is usually every few hours, sometimes less. His eyes are clear, and not weepy, but he has never had anything like this, so I'm worried. :ohdear:
He's going to be going to the vet soon for a checkup and final round of shots, so obviously I'll bring it up then, but that may not be for two weeks or more. I'm also concerned because I'm going to be going to my parents' house for a week, and Mo's going to be staying at home (though my boyfriend and roomies will be here.)
Could this be anything really serious? :(: I can try and schedule a vet appointment for sooner, but we don't have a car right now, so I have no idea how I'd get there.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Yeah, sorry. I was being serious. I've been thinking about eventually adding another dog to our household. I do have experience with sighthounds, having grown up with a retired greyhound, and I think one would fit well into our family. So I'm not too concerned about that side of things. I guess I was just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on this breed, since it's such a new breed and I don't know what, if any, issues come with that.

Also I wanted to share a pretty picture :3:

If anyone who has experience with breeders has a few minutes to check out these two and tell me if/why they're horrible, I'd appreciate it. They're the only ones in my state. I'm not sure what to look for aside from them saying they do health testing, and I believe at least the second one does.
http://tangaloor.net/
http://www.aigrettesilkens.com/

Hey, WA sighthound goon. Google the "ASFA region 1" website, and then find an ASFA lure trial near you. There are usually at least a couple of Silkens there, especially the greater Seattle-area ones. You could pick a few brains of people who do stuff with their silkens. They are a lovely, fluffy breed, but they aren't all very consistent in type yet. Even in the same litter you'll see mini-borzoi, shelties, and their fugly offspring. Such a great concept, though, a small hairy sighthound, and the pretty ones are soooo pretty!

Now, breeders: right off the bat, Tangaloor also breeds "MIni-Aussies" and Arabian horses. Thrown together, they make my spidey-senses tingle, as some people like rare breeds 'cause they're RARE. Also, some Arabian people are batshit, and mini-Aussies aren't even real. No health testing listed, and no mention of sports.

Aigrette seems to be treating their Silkens as small, hairy whippets, which is awesome: lots of nice racing titles, tons of testing, etc. Plus they own another sighthound breed (Deeries) not another rare breed. JMHO.

So: Silkens are lovely, but come to an ASFA trial, and you can see for yourself that you need an Ibizan. Or a cirnecco!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Angela Manaconda posted:

My cat, Monster, has been having an excess of eye boogers lately. Really, really goopy ones. He's very cuddly (with me) so I just clean them out whenever I see them, which is usually every few hours, sometimes less. His eyes are clear, and not weepy, but he has never had anything like this, so I'm worried. :ohdear:
He's going to be going to the vet soon for a checkup and final round of shots, so obviously I'll bring it up then, but that may not be for two weeks or more. I'm also concerned because I'm going to be going to my parents' house for a week, and Mo's going to be staying at home (though my boyfriend and roomies will be here.)
Could this be anything really serious? :(: I can try and schedule a vet appointment for sooner, but we don't have a car right now, so I have no idea how I'd get there.

Ed had something similar and ended up having conjunctivitis and herpes, so... do his eyes look irritated at all? If it is conjunctivitis, it's easy enough to handle, but you don't want to let it fester since if it isn't treated it can cause blindness.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010

Abbeh posted:

Ed had something similar and ended up having conjunctivitis and herpes, so... do his eyes look irritated at all? If it is conjunctivitis, it's easy enough to handle, but you don't want to let it fester since if it isn't treated it can cause blindness.

No, they don't look irritated at all. They look normal, just...boogery. The boogers are always on the inside corner of his eyes, and vary in consistency, a bit (though usually they're really goobery.) His eyes aren't red, or watery, or...anything. :(

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
What color are they? If the boogers are yellow or green, then it could be an infection.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
Usually they're clear or normal, but I have seen them be green. :ohdear: I guess I'll be calling around to see if I can get my sister to drive me ASAP.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
My question is now a thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390644

Fascinator fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 18, 2011

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I think your problem is worthy of starting a new thread.

I'm really not sure what to tell you. These dogs seem genuinely dangerous, and you don't have that many options open to you right now. I could be wrong, but I doubt Animal Control can do anything as long as the dogs have adequate shelter and care.

Pits have been bred for generations to be dog aggressive, so many of them show some degree of DA at some point in their lives. Coupled with training being clearly lacking it just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Doing intensive desensitization to other dogs is time consuming, and I doubt that the owners will put in the effort. Maybe suggest that they only take one dog out at a time, so at least the woman has some hope of controlling them?

On top of that, I would be very careful around them, and avoid them if you're out with your dog. Hopefully someone else will jump in with something more helpful.

If they seem open to reading or suggestions, maybe try renting Fight by Jean Donaldson from the library.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Yeah, there's really not much you can do except avoid them. DA can't be trained out, and probably the ONE thing that can help minimize it the most, in addition to basic management, is exercising dogs to the point where they're just too worn out to get pissy with each other. So, two un-exercised pit bulls with owners who can't control them, don't exercise them, don't know how to train them, and don't even bother not to let them poo poo in the house ( :gonk: ) is a pretty huge recipe for disaster. The dogs may not even be truly DA, just frustrated and excited and bored. They could absolutely change their dogs' behavior, but I doubt talking to them about it would do any good, it would require an entire overhaul of the way it sounds like they do every single thing.

The only thing I really know to say is, if they ever get your dog, just stick your hands in their mouths, pry them open, and hold them away from your dog. I know that seems a bit counter intuitive, but kicking/screaming/flailing at them will just make them hang on harder and physical removal is the only thing that will usually stop them. Most pit bulls, even poorly bred, trained, and managed ones, will usually not bite a person so acting quickly and calmly by physically prying them off of your dog could save everyone from serious injury.

Sorry you have to deal with stupid, irresponsible owners.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Fascinator posted:

Aggressive dogs

It makes me very sad to hear that you are having this problem. I often worry about what people think about my reactive dog from the outside perspective and hope that they will understand that I am trying my best to train her and that it will take time.

It sounds very much like these people are not attempting training of any kind though and thus probably don't understand how dangerous their dogs potentially are (and they are dangerous. Any dog can be dangerous, but reactive dogs clearly have a much shorter fuse). They should be in total control of their dogs at all times and never let them linger around stimuli that results in reactivity. I hate to add to your problems, but facing aggressive dogs can be traumatic for dogs that are otherwise happy around other canines. If I were you, I would probably only spend time on walks far away from where those dogs are likely to be and spend as little time as possible hanging around the apartment (going in and out the door).

Can you talk to your landlord about it? Perhaps no one has complained before and once you start, they will do something about it. If you feel bad about that, then if the man is polite with you, bring up your concerns with him. If he blows you off, then contact your landlord.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do. :( Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad dog owners out there and not much the rest of us can do about it.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Superconrfjjjjggggggggg, that's a great tip! I would never have thought of actually removing their jaws. I probably would just scream and kick them or something equally useless.

Anyways, I decided to post this in its own thread--it seems likely to overwhelm this one for a couple pages judging on the wonderful and lengthy replies I've gotten here. New thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390644

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
My wife and I are looking to adopt a rescue dog. We're currently talking with NBRAN, the Brittany rescue group. We're both fairly active people and enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, so we thought a dog would be a great companion in our adventures. However, I still have some doubts about whether or not we'd be good enough for a Brittany (or any similar dog).

Both my wife and I are currently students, which means we're living in an apartment. No fancy fenced-in back yard for us. I'm not super worried about that, as we're located very close to large parks. My big worry is that in a few months we'll be done school and will start work. If both of us are gone during working hours, is it too long to leave the dog alone? Would we be doing a disservice to our potential new family member?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Tertiary Stresses posted:

My wife and I are looking to adopt a rescue dog. We're currently talking with NBRAN, the Brittany rescue group. We're both fairly active people and enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, so we thought a dog would be a great companion in our adventures. However, I still have some doubts about whether or not we'd be good enough for a Brittany (or any similar dog).

Both my wife and I are currently students, which means we're living in an apartment. No fancy fenced-in back yard for us. I'm not super worried about that, as we're located very close to large parks. My big worry is that in a few months we'll be done school and will start work. If both of us are gone during working hours, is it too long to leave the dog alone? Would we be doing a disservice to our potential new family member?

As long as you have someone come and take the dog out while you're both at work during the day you should be fine, so long as you're still willing to take the dog on adventures when you're not working. :)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

badmomrising posted:

lots of awesome information
Thank you for the great advice, I'll definitely look into all that. And I was also feeling better about the second breeder. I'll bookmark them.

Do you know if they would mind me bringing my mutt to an event? She's small, and pretty chasey like sighthounds. I'd like to see how well she interacts with those dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Do you know if they would mind me bringing my mutt to an event? She's small, and pretty chasey like sighthounds. I'd like to see how well she interacts with those dogs.

Depending on how small she is, you may have to be careful because some sighthounds with higher prey drives will chase and harm small dogs. Some of these behaviors seem to be made worse by having a large group of sighthounds - the drivey dogs kind of egg each other on, and you wouldn't want your pup to get hurt.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Depending on how small she is, you may have to be careful because some sighthounds with higher prey drives will chase and harm small dogs. Some of these behaviors seem to be made worse by having a large group of sighthounds - the drivey dogs kind of egg each other on, and you wouldn't want your pup to get hurt.
Yeah, she's not THAT small, she's a little bigger than an italian greyhound. But I did think of that. She's not much for being chased, though. She wants to be the chaser. And she holds her own against big dogs pretty well (I'm compiling a video of her pawing big dogs in the face when she wants to play with them since she's such a dork about it.) I think that that's one of those things I'd have to try once to see how it goes.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

I posted earlier about my cat, Cosette, having drooling problems. She went in yesterday for oral surgery.

What the vet thought was inflammation was actually a tumor, which she removed along with all but six of Cosette's teeth (pathology results next week). She was sent home with steroid pills, which I'm crushing up and mixing with water into her soft food twice daily, and pain medicine (Buprenex) to administer with syringe. The steroids are no problem. The Buprenex is a BITCH.

I got pretty pro with syringe meds at the end of my last cat's life, but this is proving extraordinarily tricky with Cosette given the nature of her surgery. I'm being gentle to avoid causing any more pain (I just need to get the meds in her mouth, not down her throat) but also trying to be extra careful because the tooth sockets + bone grafts have made her jaw very fragile.

She's obviously in a lot of pain and it's gotten to the point where she's afraid to come to me when she's hurting in favor of hiding under the couch. We were up all night last night before we could spring the first dose on her.

Do I need to suck it up and be more forceful? The idea of her in so much pain is making me sick but she's been through so much trauma already this week I don't know what to do.

Of course this is just a short-term battle, her blood work also came back with 5 of 6 indicators for feline infectious peritonitis, which I'm told is fatal. She's not showing symptoms right now so we're dealing with the issues as they come, but I'm sure I'll be back in here with other questions as well. :sigh:

Sorry for all the text, it's been a rough 24 hours.

VVV I don't know, but mixing it in her food would be ideal. I've tried to find info on it but maybe not looking hard enough. As for the paw trick, I half-assedly attempted it. It's a very small dose. But she hates the taste and she mostly gets annoyed. Will try again. But I'm sure if I can put it in something like Fancy Feast without sacrificing too much efficacy she'd devour it.

Sarah Barracuda fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 19, 2011

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Can the painkiller not also be mixed with her food?

I'm not sure how well this trick might work, but if you squirt a little on her paw, would she lick it up?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
they told me cheek pocket with that, but I asked if it would hurt if it went down her mouth and they said no, so I just squirted it in there and hoped for the best. There is no aiming with my cat. Once you get her started with the pain meds second dose will be easier, try (I know you are) not to let her go with out, untreated after surgery pain can leave an impression.(in my anecdotal experience)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yeah, she's not THAT small, she's a little bigger than an italian greyhound. But I did think of that. She's not much for being chased, though. She wants to be the chaser. And she holds her own against big dogs pretty well (I'm compiling a video of her pawing big dogs in the face when she wants to play with them since she's such a dork about it.) I think that that's one of those things I'd have to try once to see how it goes.

I'm not sure you really understand how sighthounds/prey drive in general work. If she's only slightly larger than an iggy, she is still well within the "chase and kill" zone for some sighthounds. Whether or not she wants to be chased, if a high-prey-drive sighthound decides she is prey, it will chase her. And chase her down, and possibly injure and/or kill her.

Prey drive is not remotely related to play behaviors, and it won't matter what your dog's attitude toward play with bigger dogs is. A sighthound who is not small dog safe will see a small dog from a distance and bolt toward it. They're fast, and you might not even have a chance to pick up your dog. Any decent-sized sighthound could easily grab a small dog around the neck or abdomen and harm it.

I'm not trying to scare you away from sighthound breeds, or even attending sighthound events with your dog, but you should be aware of this before you even consider getting one. A responsible breeder or rescue will of course pair you with a dog who is not going to chase your small dog in a predatory way, but not every sighthound is going to be safe around your dog.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sarah Barracuda posted:

VVV I don't know, but mixing it in her food would be ideal. I've tried to find info on it but maybe not looking hard enough. As for the paw trick, I half-assedly attempted it. It's a very small dose. But she hates the taste and she mostly gets annoyed. Will try again. But I'm sure if I can put it in something like Fancy Feast without sacrificing too much efficacy she'd devour it.

I would think that if it can't be taken with food they would have told you, if taking it with food might cause nausea or inefficiency. When I've had to give my dog Metacam it's been ok to mix with food, but that is probably not what your cat is getting. Googling the medication name might be able to tell you what's okay, but best to just give them a ring and ask though.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Right now my dog is on Heartguard for heartworms and Frontline Plus for fleas. Is there an advantage to this over one of the flea-and-heartworm pill combinations such as Sentinel or Revolution?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Emasculatrix posted:

Right now my dog is on Heartguard for heartworms and Frontline Plus for fleas. Is there an advantage to this over one of the flea-and-heartworm pill combinations such as Sentinel or Revolution?
Sentinel works differently than the topicals. It will not kill adult fleas that jump on your dog, but it will make them sterile. This means your dog can get bitten a few times, but you'll never get an infestation in your house when your dog brings fleas home. You can also use Frontline in combination with Sentinel, so if you know your dog is only likely to encounter fleas occasionally, you can just use Frontline as needed for those times.

Personally I like the oral heartworm meds better than the topicals because if I see the animal eat it, I know the drugs aren't getting washed off or applied incorrectly.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I'm not sure you really understand how sighthounds/prey drive in general work. If she's only slightly larger than an iggy, she is still well within the "chase and kill" zone for some sighthounds. Whether or not she wants to be chased, if a high-prey-drive sighthound decides she is prey, it will chase her. And chase her down, and possibly injure and/or kill her.
Yeah, you're probably right. (About me not understanding, I mean. I'm sure you're right about the rest of it.) We didn't do much lure coursing with our old greyhound, I really mostly familiar with the chill-at-home aspect of his personality. Thanks for you advice, and I'll definitely be careful if/when I take my dog to an event.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I've got two cats, about 9 months old. For the purposes of their biological needs, I've got a litterbox in my apartment. The problem is that it's a completely open one that easily stinks up the place, and so I decided to buy an enclosed box. However, my cats seem to be terrified of going inside of it, and would rather poo poo on the (carpeted!) floor right outside it. This leads to many evenings spent furiously picking up poop, cleaning out stains and painstakingly trying to remove the smell.

I've tried to leave the top off it for a while, in which case they'll happily jump in and do their business. I was hoping once it's got some familiar smells in it, they might warm up to the idea of going inside with the lid on, but no such luck. Is there anything I can do to make them go inside instead of dropping a deuce right on the floor?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Nastyman posted:

I've got two cats, about 9 months old. For the purposes of their biological needs, I've got a litterbox in my apartment. The problem is that it's a completely open one that easily stinks up the place, and so I decided to buy an enclosed box. However, my cats seem to be terrified of going inside of it, and would rather poo poo on the (carpeted!) floor right outside it. This leads to many evenings spent furiously picking up poop, cleaning out stains and painstakingly trying to remove the smell.

I've tried to leave the top off it for a while, in which case they'll happily jump in and do their business. I was hoping once it's got some familiar smells in it, they might warm up to the idea of going inside with the lid on, but no such luck. Is there anything I can do to make them go inside instead of dropping a deuce right on the floor?
If your box smells that bad, you're not scooping enough. The general rule is number of litter boxes = number of cats + 1, and scoop daily. With one box, you should be scooping at least twice daily.

If the box smells bad enough to you that you need to put a lid on it, how bad do you think it smells to your cats? They're naturally clean animals with a much more sensitive sense of smell than you, and you're trapping all their stank in a closed box. No wonder they'd rather poo poo on the carpet.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Crooked Booty posted:

If your box smells that bad, you're not scooping enough. The general rule is number of litter boxes = number of cats + 1, and scoop daily. With one box, you should be scooping at least twice daily.

If the box smells bad enough to you that you need to put a lid on it, how bad do you think it smells to your cats? They're naturally clean animals with a much more sensitive sense of smell than you, and you're trapping all their stank in a closed box. No wonder they'd rather poo poo on the carpet.

I realise this, but most other people I know who have cats use a closed box with seemingly no issue. It's not that the smell is nauseating (to me anyway) either, it's just that I have a very small apartment, and whenever they've been in there, the subtle aroma of cat poop easily spreads all over. Like I said, I've seen people for whom these closed boxes seem to work and I want to understand why mine doesn't. It's not like I'm hoping to only clean it once every couple of weeks, I'd just rather not bring people over and have them immediately notice something strange in the air.

Tsu
Jan 2, 2005

Please pee on this.
Anyone know of a site with some good information about Saint Bernards? We're possibly adopting one soon and would like some more info on the breed.

Hearing from other owners would be nice as well!

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Yeah, you're probably right. (About me not understanding, I mean. I'm sure you're right about the rest of it.) We didn't do much lure coursing with our old greyhound, I really mostly familiar with the chill-at-home aspect of his personality. Thanks for you advice, and I'll definitely be careful if/when I take my dog to an event.

The only people I have seen with "other" dogs at events keep them in the parking area--but it's only been one person, and everyone was kinda' scratching their heads about it. Check the premium list--it may well say wether outside dogs are welcome. Or, check out the TPIHC "fun day" at Argus Ranch, because mixed breeds are welcome! ASFA Region 1--it's the place!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tsu posted:

Anyone know of a site with some good information about Saint Bernards? We're possibly adopting one soon and would like some more info on the breed.

I don't know any particular websites, but any breed specific rescue sites worth their salt tend to have good information on the dogs so people know what they're getting into and so they'll go to the right homes.

Prepare for drool, caring for a massive, nightmare coat in terms of grooming and buying a crapload of dog food. Be wary of hip, heart and joint problems. They're expensive.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tsu posted:

Have you looked at the Saint Bernard Club of America site? Or the international site for Saints? When researching breeds, a good first step is usually googling [breed] Club of [country and/or region].

Tsu
Jan 2, 2005

Please pee on this.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Have you looked at the Saint Bernard Club of America site? Or the international site for Saints? When researching breeds, a good first step is usually googling [breed] Club of [country and/or region].

I actually just recently have stumbled onto Saint Bernard Club of America. The other site I didn't know about. Thanks!

Arietta
Jul 30, 2008

Smile :3:
I have a mixed breed puppy about 4 months old. He was given to my younger sister when he was about 6-8 weeks, totally filthy, covered in fleas and skinny. Apparently the girl who had given him to us, was told by her mother to give them all away and not bring any back home. So we took him in, washed him up really good and took him to the vet for his puppy shots and deworming. The fleas ended up reinfesting him, even with regular bathing and keeping the house clean.

We started him on frontline at the beginning of this month and noticed results immediately within 24 hours. The fleas were visibly dropping off of him and he seemed flea free for a few days after. However they seemed to have built up a resistance and are now back at full force. There are still 2 doses left though, that we'll use in the following months..I was wondering if any one had recommendations for another brand, since this one isn't working very well..

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Nastyman posted:

I would try introducing the lid slowly. First, prop it on the box so only a few inches of it are actually over the box. Over the course of a week or two, slide the lid a little bit more over the box each day until it's completely in place. It's a similar method to how people train cats to use the toilet.

Also, try using more litter in the box. I use a large Rubbermaid tub for my cat's litter box, and I keep it at least 3-4 inches deep so as much stank-rear end pee gets covered as possible. Also, my cat does not bury ANYTHING, so his nasty cat poops are just sitting out in the open in the box, completely uncovered and smelling like hot cat rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think my cat needs a bigger litter box.

A few minutes ago, she came out of the litterbox when she hadn't even finished pooping and was just rubbing her butt all over the floor to try to get the poop off. It would explain why I've found poop on the top of her cat tree before. Gross.:/

She also seemed to pee on the floor in the corner a few minutes ago.

I'd change her litter box now, but I need more litter. I won't be able to get any more until after work tonight.