Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ah well. I'll watch it anyway. Apparently my family would always watch it at Thanksgiving when I was very young, but I never paid any attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TrixRabbi, hard to chose, let's go with 12 Angry Men.

David Holzman's Diary was an imperfect but very interesting experiment in Cinéma vérité. There's a variety of threads going on with what David films and doesn't film and while not really a comedy there's no shortage of awkward laughs. I really liked some of the different things done with the camera, especially on some of his little walkabouts, each of which give a different perspective of the world and the character, a semi detachment from the reality of the film. The performances in this kind of thing are always tough to judge, but I thought they were quite good. They certainly felt like real people, although for some reason I find most characters in these experimental fake docs from the 60s come of as a little shrill, and I'm not sure if that's bad acting or just a function of time and place.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Flesh and the Devil I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam Another silent I need to watch.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

The Seventh Victim I've enjoyed the Val Lewton films I've seen.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter This has an obscenely high PSI for me on criticker, and I'd like to watch more martial arts films.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Sweet Sweetback's Etc. is a really dififcult movie. It's poorly shot in that same drifting foggy way Manos is, but it makes up for it with ballsy, manic editing. I was expecting something like Shaft but I got a pretty challenging, revolutionary bit of black cinema along the lines of Chameleon Street or The Education of Sonny Carson. The technical flaws don't mean poo poo when held against the heart and the genuine Small-Talk-at-125th-and-Lex-revolutionary core. It's a hard watch, but a strong one.

PA: Oh hey bro. Three in a row. I got a hattrick going on. Watch The Seventh Victim

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Black God, White Devil What a great title.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Wind I might not have ever seen a Sjostrom movie.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

New one: Across 110th Street Yaphetttttttt! Also the theme song's real good.

Drunken Angel Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

penismightier posted:

Very much so.

I saw it a few years ago with a group that was 50/50 seen it/not seen it. By the end, everyone in the room hated the loving thing.
I watched it alone a few months back and I liked it all right, but hoo boy I did not like The Dark Crystal. I did not like The Dark Crystal one bit.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

penismightier posted:

Black God, White Devil What a great title.

Speaking of hat tricks... I was tempted to give you Across 110th Street, as I've actually seen it, but this one's been here for awhile. Also, while an enjoyable movie, the theme song really is the best part of 110th Street. Anyway, watch that one, whatever it is.

12 Angry Men was fantastic. Really, a perfectly written film. I was surprised that it grabbed me and pulled me into the case so early on. This is how to loving make a courtroom drama. 9/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#36 The Elephant Man - More Lynch, why not?

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#46 The 400 Blows - In a row?

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

Speaking of hat tricks...

This thread is downright incestuous.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.
I prefer this to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but that opinion is in the minority from what I've gathered. Less action and Clint Eastwood than the other, but I think it has a much more driving story.

Right around the time this thread started I watched Inception which was one of the craziest mind gently caress movie I'd really seen. Now I know I wasn't even close to mind gently caress land, or even on the same planet, I've still been missing out on some great ones but at least I'm aware of what movies are capable of. This all gets to this movie from the same direction as Inception. Memento is amazing. I knew it was backwards going in, but I really wasn't expecting something like that. There are very few flaws and is one of the best edited films I've ever seen. I've been way too lenient on my ratings so I'm not going to rate it perfect since those I did are all time favorites for me (and there's only a couple more movies I'd rate perfect), but this is still one of the at least 20 best movies I've ever seen.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. Unforgiven - Another 90s film I've yet to see.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9/10, Memento 9.5/10

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

marioinblack posted:

I prefer this to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but that opinion is in the minority from what I've gathered. Less action and Clint Eastwood than the other, but I think it has a much more driving story.

I'm with you. TGTBTU probably has the best individual scenes and characters, but Once Upon a Time is still incredible and works better as a complete narrative.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
marioinblack, watch Unforgiven. It's a great Western on many different levels.

I'd skipped over Citizen Kane because it felt more like required watching than something I'd actually enjoy, but I did end up really enjoying it. It's a very "literary" movie that bridges the gap from modernism to post-modernism. I love how it starts out as a movie within a movie, as well as the numerous framing tales. Wells seems to examine the medium as much as he uses it to construe the narrative. I'm glad to have finally watched it.

Seven Samurai - I've owned this movie for years and still haven't watched it.

Cries and Whispers - Another one I've owned and haven't watched. In fact, I've never seen a Bergman film!

Persona - I feel like I need to see this before I die

New movie: To Live and Die in LA - I've seen bits and pieces of this, and it looked rad.

Annie Hall - Why haven't I seen this? I do enjoy Woody Allen.

Raising Arizona - This is the only Coen movie I haven't seen (with the exception of Lady Killers.

2001 - I have a lot of Kubrick watching to do, which brings us to...

Dr. Strangelove and

Eyes Wide Shut

Vertigo - I vaguely remember watching this as a kid. Been meaning to see it again as an adult.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Battle of Algiers is not immediately available to me and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to track down a copy anytime soon, so if anyone wants to pick something else off of my list for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. The Purple Rose of Cairo- I love Woody Allen and have seen a good chunk of his major films. This is the biggest blind spot for me in his filmography, and it’s a doozy.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
il serpente cosmico, you get To Live and Die In LA; meanmikhail, you can enjoy The Purple Rose of Cairo

Chinatown was excellent. I often forget how good '70s Nicholson is. he completely owns very scene in this movie. I loved the bleak ending and all the twists and turns. Not much else to say. Easy to see why it's a classic.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Thing- yet another sci-fi classic I should have seen by now
4) Pierrot Le Fou_ more Godard for me
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Memories of Murder- been meaning to see this for a while. I love procedurals.
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
8) Memories of Murder- been meaning to see this for a while. I love procedurals.
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

You get Memories of Murder, because I am probably going to watch it for the first time this weekend and it will be interesting to see what we both think. I also love procedurals, for what it's worth.

I watched City Lights yesterday and was at once highly impressed and mildly disappointed. It has moments of brilliance, like the unveiling of the statue at the beginning of the film and most of the scenes where he is hanging out with the rich man (especially the robbery at the end). But it also was kind of dull at points, like the boxing sequence which seemed to go on for half an hour and wasn't particularly funny. I liked it, but I think it lacked the brilliance of vision I witnessed in The General or Sherlock Jr. Rating: 8.5/10

TSPDT Top 100:

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) 8 1/2
3) Lawrence of Arabia
4) The Godfather Part 2
5) La Dolce Vita

Miscellaneous:
6) The Last Picture Show
7) Millennium Actress- Have seen every other Satoshi Kon.
8) Tulpan
9) Inglourious Basterds
10) The Social Network

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 17, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

TSPDT Top 100:

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) 8 1/2
3) Lawrence of Arabia
4) The Godfather Part 2
5) La Dolce Vita

Miscellaneous:
6) The Last Picture Show
7) Millennium Actress- Have seen every other Satoshi Kon.
8) Tulpan
9) Inglourious Basterds
10) The Social Network

Daunte, I'll hand you La Dolce Vita due to my love for Fellini and his work. Enjoy it!

I just jammed my Netflix que full of films, but there's been some stuff in my collection that I'm pretty embarrassed I have not seen yet. Most of it's pretty notable stuff, hence the embarrassment.

Wild Strawberries - It seems to be essential Bergman, I'm rather surprised I haven't seen it yet since it has an elderly protagonist and I eat up films that focus on older characters for whatever reason. Just vanished in the back of my catalogue.

The Producers - I'm not a big fan of Mel Brooks but I've still been told that I "need" to see this film. Still, it being Mel Brooks warded me off.

Night and Fog - Just putting it on here because I've owned it for ages and never got the nerve to actually watch it.

The Trial - Orson Welles directed, should be enough reason to watch it right? The double-whammy here is that I love Kafka as well, there's no reason I shouldn't have popped this one in the player yet. I assume it's because I know the DVD quality is questionable.

Jules and Jim - I've only seen two Truffaut, Small Change and The 400 Blows, both absolutely blew me away. Seems to be about high time I gave this one a chance. I bought it at the same time I got The Seventh Seal, so there was a distraction.

Jaws - Yes, really, I have never seen Jaws. Every time I look at the DVD I get the inclination to watch something more artsy, inexplicable.

Rear Window - Really piqued my interest, the concept seemed fascinating, bought it, never touched it, forgot I had it.

The Usual Suspects - Don't know, it has a good reputation, but for whatever reason it fails to interest me on a superficial glance, give me the encouragement I need and I'll give it a go.

The Deer Hunter - I'm a sucker for Vietnam war films, I loved Apocalypse Now and Platoon, heard great things about this one. The length has been the biggest thing keeping me away.

Sunrise - Been meaning to watch it for a long while now, my only excuse is that the vast majority of my friends do not enjoy silent film and thus I've had to tuck it away each time I've decided to have a movie viewing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JebanyPedal, I like your list, let's start you off with Wild Strawberries.

The Seventh Victim is a very enjoyable mysterious film. The performances aren't all that great but at times they work with the film's sinister tone and they're never outright bad. I had fun.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter This has an obscenely high PSI for me on criticker, and I'd like to watch more martial arts films.

Soylent Green It's made of people.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Blue Kite.

Werckmeister Harmonies is definitely one I'll want to watch again. Every shot was a pleasure to watch. I wouldn't have thought that a lengthy shot of someone walking (of which there are many) could be so interesting. 4/5.

Unfortunately, I also watched Blazing Saddles. I find it difficult to believe that there are people who like this more than Young Frankenstein. I laughed twice. Maybe it just needed more Gene Wilder. 1.5/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
This is probably one that I'm most ashamed about. Altman is one of my favorites.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.
Le Cercle Rouge
No excuse.
Slacker
I think I started this once.
Pickpocket
Sounds good.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
TenSpades, watch Pickpocket. Bresson is an awesome director and Pickpocker has some of his most brilliant sequences.

La Dolce Vita, a film I put off for a long time precisely due to its length, delivered on what I most feared and most hoped at the same time. The moments where Fellini hits are some of the greatest things I've ever seen on film; from the opening shot up through the evening with Anita Ekberg, I was absolutely enamored with the pacing and tone. It is difficult not to get lost in staring at beautiful Swedish star as she wades through that drat fountain, and the theme of urban degeneracy was well-conveyed. The Madonna sequence has some interesting things to say but goes on too long and was somewhat tiresome. Same with the night in Steiner's parlor. Then daddy visits and daddy issues arise and the movie is awesome again. But from the moment of the brilliant echo chamber to the brilliant ending on the beach, I just wanted him to get the drat thing over with. I didn't care about Marcello falling for yet another female predator or attempting to start an orgy with a feather pillow. So I give the film a begrudging 8/10, for having long strings of brilliance that make me all the more aware of the less brilliant parts.

e: Forgot a list.

TSPDT Top 100 (and excuses why I haven't watched them):
1) 2001: A Space Odyssey- Long.
2) 8 1/2- Long, Fellini.
3) Lawrence of Arabia- Long.
4) The Godfather Part 2- Just watched Godfather 1 recently, long.
5) Children of Paradise- Long, keep being told I should watch it with people.
6) Gold Rush- Just started getting into Chaplin, this week.
7) Blade Runner- 2/3 of the way in, my friend got bored and made me leave the house with him. This was almost 3 years ago.
8) Jules and Jim- Library DVD is scratched, cannot get past 20 minutes, could rent at local store.
9) Andrei Rublev- Long, Russian.
10) The Wild Bunch- See number 7. I hate my friends.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 19, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

4) The Godfather Part 2- Just watched Godfather 1 recently, long.
Yeah it's long, but its worth the watch. Pacino staring at someone in one scene and not speaking is better acting than most people will do their entire career.

If you can go into movies blind, please do so. Unforgiven was nothing like I expected. I'm used to Leone style Eastwood, but this was certainly not that. I thought it started out fairly slow although it wasn't too bad, but the back half of the movie is stellar. Hackman steals every scene he's in also. Probably one of the darkest movies I've seen.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

5. The Usual Suspects - The next top 250 movie I haven't seen. Like City of God, I don't know much about this one either other than a few of the actors in it.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9.5/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 9/10, Memento 9.5/10, Unforgiven 9/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

marioinblack, you get The Usual Suspects, because I loving adore that movie.

I just finished Jules et Jim. I don't know what the gently caress happened. I've never had a problem with French New Wave films before, but I was not feeling this one at all. I don't know if it was the real-life mood I was in or what. I just couldn't like any of the characters, especially Albert, Jim, Thérèse, or Catherine. Although I could feel the intended tension of some scenes, I couldn't feel the whimsy or joyousness of others. I found myself liking The 400 Blows a lot more. I'm already thinking of giving this one another chance, though.

I also watched Akira which I really liked. The visuals are loving stellar in Blu-Ray. You can see every paint-stroke in the background, and it is glorious. I thought it was a little overlong, but overall it was visually interesting enough to keep me there with it most of the time.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim

Blackmail: So this is Hitchcock's first talkie.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover: All I know is Helen Mirren, Tim Roth, rated X, and weird as poo poo. I have no idea whatsoever what to expect.
Johnny Guitar: I could use a weird Western. You know a movie's hard to come by when Netflix doesn't appear to have heard of it.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rocky Horror Picture Show: I have absolutely no idea what I will think of this movie. I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, though.
Slacker: Randomly-picked movie. Looks just weird and indie enough to be fun. I need a good 90s indie movie to wash out the last one I watched, an intractably unfunny little-known mess called My Life's In Turnaround.
The Thin Blue Line: I'm in a mood for some thin lines.
The Thin Red Line: See above.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Unfortunately, I also watched Blazing Saddles. I find it difficult to believe that there are people who like this more than Young Frankenstein. I laughed twice. Maybe it just needed more Gene Wilder. 1.5/5

I feel the exact opposite. I adore Blazing Saddles and was really disappointed the first time I saw Young Frankenstein. I don't feel like there is anything in Young Frankenstein worth watching or caring about; I don't find it funny, I don't think it's interesting... I don't know. It's odd that there's that contrast.

CloseFriend posted:

I just finished Jules et Jim. I don't know what the gently caress happened. I've never had a problem with French New Wave films before, but I was not feeling this one at all. I don't know if it was the real-life mood I was in or what. I just couldn't like any of the characters, especially Albert, Jim, Thérèse, or Catherine. Although I could feel the intended tension of some scenes, I couldn't feel the whimsy or joyousness of others. I found myself liking The 400 Blows a lot more. I'm already thinking of giving this one another chance, though.

On a somewhat related note, as someone who absolutely loves most French films from this era, I feel the exact same way that you do about Jules and Jim. Shoot the Piano Player is a favorite film of mine in general, so it's not a Truffaut thing; I just find it incredibly underwhelming. It's just kind of dull, I think.

I'm probably in the minority on both these things, though.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
CloseFriend, I'll give you the Rocky Horror Picture Show, since it's the goddamn Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Oh boy, there are a LOT of famous movies I've never seen:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I've seen the other three and loved them to death (well, with the exception of Crystal Skull but that's a given), but for some reason have never seen this one.

Inception - I've been putting it off, simply put.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have no idea what this movie's about other than it's in space and there's weird lights or something.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I have a bad problem of liking Westerns without actually watching any Westerns.

The Lord of the Rings - In case you haven't figured it out, I'm pretty bad at this "watching good movies" thing.

Untouchables - I've always wanted to see this movie, but I've never actually watched it. As I said, really bad at watching good movies.

The Godfather - help me

3:10 to Yuma - Like 2001, I have no idea what this movie's about except it's popular.

King Kong - As in, the original one. I've seen plenty remakes, but I've always wanted to watch the very first.

Tron - As a massive video game nerd, I feel obligated to see this movie.

Wow, after compiling that list, I'm honestly surprised I've seen all six Star Wars movies. Experienced moviegoer I ain't.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Monicro posted:

King Kong - As in, the original one. I've seen plenty remakes, but I've always wanted to watch the very first.

You didn't give me much to work with on that list, but that's one that I want to see as well.

Some like it hot. Hilarious. So much to enjoy. Great performances.

So my list becomes ...

King Kong The original monster flick.

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Thing from another world Sounds a good watch judging by the general chat.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
knees of putty, it is now your turn to watch Pickpocket.

Speaking of Pickpocket, I really liked it. The scenes at the train station were riveting. The acting seemed off though. It seemed that the actors were only thinking about what their next line was, and when they remembered it they just blurted it out. Jeanne (Marika Green) looks exactly like Natalie Portman. 4/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Europa
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Opening Night
More Cassavetes.
Code Unknown
Haneke is a wacky guy.
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
This is probably one that I'm most ashamed about. Altman is one of my favorites.
Vernon, Florida
I will eat my shoe if this documentary isn't good.
Le Cercle Rouge
No excuse.
Slacker
I think I started this once.
Seven Chances
I own the complete Keaton box set, so why haven't I seen them all?

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The acting seemed off though. It seemed that the actors were only thinking about what their next line was, and when they remembered it they just blurted it out.

Your first Bresson, I take it?

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

Your first Bresson, I take it?

Correct. I assume I should expect this from his others too?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Correct. I assume I should expect this from his others too?

Yes, he is known for using non-actors and an extremely minimalist style that basically strips away anything that looks like "performance".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Green Mile - What is it about Frank Darabont + Stephen King + prison that makes IMDb users go loving bananas? The Shawshank Redemption has inexplicably been #1 or #2 for as long as I can remember, and this even more mediocre offering currently sits at #83. Why? I guess it's an attraction to the comfortably predictable (did anyone not see the sponge thing coming?), the division of the world into "good men" and "bad men" (ooh that Percy is so rotten!), the reassuring presence of a gentle giant, non-threatening Magical Negro (his initials are "JC"? You don't say!). The film is shot well enough and the cast does a very admirable job of handling their wafer-thin characters. For a three-hour production it's surprisingly watchable with enough story elements (predictable as they are) to keep moving. But it certainly isn't anything special, and the cheap sentimentality is off-putting. Rating: 6

And I'm taking another break from this thread. I've got some catching up to do on things I actually wanted to watch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump, McCabe & Mrs. Miller is really great film, go watch it.

The Blue Kite feels like a lot of other Chinese dramas I've seen, it focuses on a single family and uses it as a touchstone for some period in China's history. Here it's the 1950s and 60s cultural revolution and while the film never quite wowed me it did a great job of consistently getting me to care about these characters and experience the tribulations of a trying time in Chinese history. There's some really interesting stuff to read between the lines and I can see why it led to its director being banned from directing for a decade. This probably doesn't sound like all that enthusiastic a review but it really was a great film.

Updated list:

Soylent Green It's made of people.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies It's long, but Marty talking about movies is probably worth it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

I enjoyed Soylent Green even though I knew the twist, so I'll give you that one.

As for King Kong, it wasn't quite as great as I hoped it would be, but that's probably mostly due to the fact that I'm spoiled by more advanced tools than black and white and puppets. Despite that, I still had a blast watching it and I feel the Monster Movie buff in me just got a lot more valid for watching it. Great film all around, 7/10.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I've seen the other three and loved them to death (well, with the exception of Crystal Skull but that's a given), but for some reason have never seen this one.

Inception - I've been putting it off, simply put.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have no idea what this movie's about other than it's in space and there's weird lights or something.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I have a bad problem of liking Westerns without actually watching any Westerns.

The Lord of the Rings - In case you haven't figured it out, I'm pretty bad at this "watching good movies" thing.

Untouchables - I've always wanted to see this movie, but I've never actually watched it. As I said, really bad at watching good movies.

The Godfather - help me

3:10 to Yuma - Like 2001, I have no idea what this movie's about except it's popular.

Psycho - I'm not the hugest fan of Slasher movies, but this one's a classic so I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Tron - As a massive video game nerd, I feel obligated to see this movie.

Movies I've seen now:
King Kong 7/10

Monicro fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 20, 2011

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
You have to write something about the drat film, not just say that you've seen it. I will start probating people who ignore this.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You have to write something about the drat film, not just say that you've seen it. I will start probating people who ignore this.

Whoops, sorry about that. I'll watch that from now on. :shobon:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Monicro, you get the last Indy movie you haven't seen, and be prepared to have a lot of words ready for it!

I just finished the Rocky Horror Picture Show and I absolutely and completely loved it. Tim Curry just completely kicked that movie's rear end. It was campy, but it never made me want to cringe like most other campy-on-purpose stuff. The musical numbers were extremely well-done and the shot composition was excellent. The movie did run out of steam near the end and Eddie's death seemed really, really incongruous with the rest of the film (so much so I almost knocked it down a star in my rating just for that), but the whole thing is so much fun I found it in me to overlook its flaws.

I also knocked out Johnny Guitar. I'll let my Criticker review do the talking...

CloseFriend posted:

An enjoyable and unconventional Western that clearly had a lot of thought put into it. I particularly liked that the villains, rather than mustache-twiddling bandits, were people who make judgments prematurely, who twist facts to support their causes and think they can unilaterally make the law. A few characters seemed discarded and the romantic parts rang false in the way a lot of Golden Age films do. It's still an interesting movie that really strives for something different.

Also, as I said in the chat thread, Mom from Futurama seems to me like she had to be inspired by Joan Crawford, especially in this movie. I've prepared a picture to illustrate...

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show

Blazing Saddles: My Mel Brooks experience is limited. May as well go for one of the big ones.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover: All I know is Helen Mirren, Tim Roth, rated X, and weird as poo poo. I have no idea whatsoever what to expect.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Slacker: Randomly-picked movie. Looks just weird and indie enough to be fun. I need a good 90s indie movie to wash out the last one I watched, an intractably unfunny little-known mess called My Life's In Turnaround.
Terminator 2: I saw it as a kid, but I remember so little (and I was in a room with people who never shut up in front of or away from movies) that I don't feel right saying I've "seen" it.
The Thin Blue Line: I'm in a mood for some thin lines.
The Thin Red Line: See above.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Monicro posted:

Whoops, sorry about that. I'll watch that from now on. :shobon:

Start now. I want to know what you thought about King Kong.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend, the thin movies are the best thing on your list so watch The Thin Blue Line. P.S. The Thin Man is another great thin movie.

Well, what do you know, Soylent Green is actually a pretty solid film. It's much more of a mystery film than I expected, and yet even though it follows a formula and I knew the conclusion I was drawn in to this bizarre dystopian future and Heston's crusading cop. It was cool to see Edward G. Robinson as an old man.

Updated list:

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies It's long, but Marty talking about movies is probably worth it.

Branded to Kill I've only seen one Suzuki film, it was weird.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Start now. I want to know what you thought about King Kong.

Will do.

*ahem*

King Kong Wasn't quite as great as I hoped it would be, but that's probably mostly due to the fact that I'm spoiled by more advanced tools than black and white and puppets. Despite that, I still had a blast watching it and I feel the Monster Movie buff in me just got a lot more valid for watching it. Great film all around, 7/10.

I'll edit my post with this, too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy, the dice roller says... Flesh and the Devil.

I just watched The Thin Blue Line and I thought it was an extremely well-done, hard-hitting documentary. The details of the case were completely clear, and to the extent of my knowledge it was impartial and fairly edited. I was originally going to rate it 72 on Criticker (since the viewing experience isn't entirely pleasant), but I upped it to 92 because the movie loving got an innocent man out of life imprisonment. The fact that a movie could accomplish something that huge in real life makes it one of the most important movies ever made.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line

Blazing Saddles: My Mel Brooks experience is limited. May as well go for one of the big ones.
Sideways: I'm not sure if I'm in this movie's target audience, as I don't drink and I'm not middle-aged.
Terminator 2: I saw it as a kid, but I remember so little (and I was in a room with people who never shut up in front of or away from movies) that I don't feel right saying I've "seen" it.
The Thin Red Line: I'm in a mood for some thin lines, and I already saw The Thin Blue Line, so...

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend, I guess it's the other thin line for you, watch The Thin Red Line.

When Flesh and the Devil started my initial thought was 'this is pretty good, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a silent.' By the end I was totally enamoured and wondering why I don't watch more silents. This film is a thing of beauty, both in the fantastic visual style and the excellent tragic romance. Lars Hanson as the best friend could be better but Gilbert and Garbo give some amazing performances which lift the material to another level and Barbara Kentis pretty drat good in her limited role.

Updated list:

Branded to Kill I've only seen one Suzuki film, it was weird.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Peaceful Anarchy, Branded to Kill is considered one of the dumbest Action Mafia movies from Japan, so that's what I recommend you (Also, because its the only movie I know from that list Derpity Derp, I'm such a Cinema Illiterate)

Meanwhile, my list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

Pulp Fiction - 3 occasions where I was gonna watch this movie and ended up not watching it.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Seven Samurai - Never heard of this movie either, badass title

GoodFellas - Same deal as Pulp Fiction

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Rear Window - Been spoiled, know everything that happens in this movie, from start to finish, saw parodies of it, overall, I have absolutely no reason to watch this movie.

Usual Suspects - Same deal as Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
Well, this time you will end up watching it, SGRaaize. Pulp Fiction is your movie.

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

The Thin Blue Line: Actually started this one a few weeks ago, but decided against it

The Devil's Backbone: I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, just have not gotten around to seeing this one

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Hoop Dreams: I guess I never saw this one because it was before my time and I never really heard much about it

The Evil Dead 2: Somehow I've seen the first one and Army of Darkness, but not this one

Let the Right One In: Another foreign one I've never gotten around to.

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Exit Through the Gift Shop: Same as the Cove

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
bluefire579, let's have you finish The Thin Blue Line

I'm still a little speechless over Memories of Murder, one of the best procedurals I've seen. It captures all the frustration of something being just out of your grasp, even though you're so close. Just a heavy watch. I'll be thnking about it for a while.

8) Old Boy- I've owned this for too long without watching it, even though I'm sure I'll love it

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
EDIT: Ignore me, I should have read the OP first.