Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Somebody tell me they stay up late enough too to be loving irritated by those stupid 5 minute long Advanced Hair Studio adverts

Speaking of annoying adverts, gently caress you Discovery History stop playing that disgusting parasites horror show every break I want to learn about the Spanish Civil War godammit ugh!

And they should just give Carr a new show, something like a light sketch format or panel based thing again. He just isn't adapting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Adrianics posted:

edit: And considering the huge, dedicated fan bases that both Mitchell and Brooker have, I think that plenty of people would watch 10 O'Clock Live if it were just the two of them. No question.
Charlie Brooker doesn't really have a huge fan base though. His profile has obviously gone up a lot in the last year or two but he's still the least well known of the four. This thread is full of slightly nerdy 16-28 year old guys which are his natural audience but outside of that he's not big enough to carry a mainstream show. He's also to be honest not a good enough live TV presenter either.

I agree Carr's bits are becoming a bit of a weak link in the show but I think an out and out comedian is important for the balance of the show. Think what Have I Got News For You would be like without Paul Merton. I think the best solution would be to retool the section, not just start dropping presenters. I think four is a good number of hosts for a satire show, gives it more of a community feel and stops the focus being on a star of the show, which weakens satire imo (John Stewart manages it though).

If they replaced him though, I can't think of a frontrunner to take the job. There aren't a lot of mainstream intelligent political TV comedians that are "yoof" enough. Possibly Rufus Hound but his style is a bit overstated. I'd love to see Stewart Lee do it but that will never happen and in reality would probably be terrible. Robert Webb would fit in if David Mitchell wasn't already doing it. Josie Long's too nice. Alexander Armstrong has gravitas for a politics show. Richard Ayoade's schtick wouldn't work. Peter Serafinowicz maybe. Chris Addison. Sacha Baren Cohen. I'm just listing comedians now so I'll stop thinking about a show I don't even like that much.

[edit]The more I think about the more I like the idea of a british Daily Show with Sacha Baren Cohen. I think they tried it already with Marcus Brigstock, but they always try Marcus Brigstock for that sort of thing and it never really works.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 20, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Addison for sure.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also Great Unanswered Questions has already had one TV series if you can find it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually Josie Long would be great on 10 o Clock live- if you read her Twitter most of her posts are about how much she hates the Tories. So her usual niceness wouldn't be a problem.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
I don't have search so finding anything is difficult, but does anyone watch The Tudors? I was surprised by it really, its loving fantastic.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

marktheando posted:

Actually Josie Long would be great on 10 o Clock live- if you read her Twitter most of her posts are about how much she hates the Tories. So her usual niceness wouldn't be a problem.

Except she's really not funny.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh wait you said 10 o'clock live so she'd fit right in.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

thehustler posted:

Addison for sure.

Addison could probably hold his own in a big political argument too. Or at least his appearances on various panel shows suggest that he could.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

She's pretty funny, and 10 o Clock live has improved to the point where it is also pretty funny!

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
Richard Herring. :parrot: 'Cept he'd be kicked off after the second week for profusely swearing probably.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Hoops posted:

Josie Long's too nice.

Have you seen Josie Long in the past few years? She's still whimsically delightful, but now with a massively vehement anti-tory streak. But yeah, that's not entirely appropriate. I mean, 10 o'clock wife is blatantly left-wing, but I like to think there's the guise that it might be all balanced and that.

goatface posted:

Addison could probably hold his own in a big political argument too. Or at least his appearances on various panel shows suggest that he could.

He presents this! If you listen to comedy podcasts, you will appreciate it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ezzie posted:

Richard Herring. :parrot: 'Cept he'd be kicked off after the second week for profusely swearing probably.

Let's skip the in-between steps and go straight to what we're both thinking.

Good Evening with Richard not Judy.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

King Crab posted:

I think you guys are missing the most important topic concerning television right now, Jo Jo from Take Me Out finally got a date last night.

I caught this on catch-up today and, though I feel like a sad act, it was totally my feel-good moment of TV for the year so far. I almost clapped Jo-Jo from my sofa! And her guy totally floated my boat too (though I thought the drag act guy last week was absolutely acceptable)

Take Me Out is like the ultimate trash TV for me, especially when you start to recognise all the girls

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
I really find Jimmy Carr's continued success confusing. I don't know if I'm just missing his good stuff, but every time I see him it seems to be alongside other comedians (hosting 8 out of 10 Cats/Big Fat Quiz for example) where he just can't keep up. Everyone else seems to make jokes at his expense whilst he just stands and laughs awkwardly. I don't think I've ever see him crack a genuinely funny joke.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Well he rose to fame as a one-liner standup. Being able to carefully write good one-line jokes probably doesn't come in very useful on panel shows (see also: milton jones).

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Hoops has basically covered what I would say about Carr on 10 O'Clock except how personal taste fits into it, yeah he can be hit and miss but I still find him funny even with some of his annoying habits(crass, easy jokes blahhblah). I think his presence mixes it up a little bit and I don't think he really works against what the others are trying to do, at least not intentionally.

I'd go with Josie Long over the others people have mentioned for the same reasons mark mentioned , I don't think I've ever found Chris Addison that funny except in the thick of it.

Top Gear had an extra creepy dimension to it this week with old pervert Clarkson interviewing a twenty-something year old actress barely unable to hide his erection

and did anybody watch that Hardest Place to be... this week? It was pretty emotional (despite the poverty tourism vibes)

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

Hoops posted:

[edit]The more I think about the more I like the idea of a british Daily Show with Sacha Baren Cohen. I think they tried it already with Marcus Brigstock, but they always try Marcus Brigstock for that sort of thing and it never really works.

I think Brigstock might be a bit too bitter and cynical for a 'Daily Show' type program. At least that's what it seemed like to me when I caught the show.

Personally, I'd like to see Andy Zaltzman do some guest bits for 10 O'Clock Live.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Can't decide wether Friday Night Dinner looks good or not:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/friday-night-dinner/articles/trailer

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My rule is that anything with Mark Heap is excellent.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Metrication posted:

Can't decide wether Friday Night Dinner looks good or not:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/friday-night-dinner/articles/trailer
You wait years for a sitcom about a dysfunctional Jewish Londoner family getting together at the parents' house then two come along right after each other?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Cerv posted:

You wait years for a sitcom about a dysfunctional Jewish Londoner family getting together at the parents' house then two come along right after each other?

Yeah. What was funny about Grandma's house for me was how similar it was to my Jewish family. They even seemed to have some of the same furniture.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Satire is usually left wing because of the type of people that make it and consume it. Arty, clever, witty people. When right wingers try it, its too forced. See: The half hour news hour on Fox news.

I do realise this is HEAVILY generalising, but meh. Look around you.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
WHY IS OUTCASTS SO UNBELIEVABLY DULL

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
BBC drama department.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Beast posted:

WHY IS OUTCASTS SO UNBELIEVABLY DULL

This does not bode well for the Red Dwarf comeback.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
I've missed two episodes and it is still incredibly SLOW. Christ, even the deep was more exciting.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

The last episode of episodes is on now. I wonder what will be next in the BBC's array of situation comedies consisting almost entirely of the situation and very little comedy!

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Grauniad posted:

Hammond defends 'naughty' Top Gear

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has defended the show, but admitted its stars could be "naughty" and "outspoken".

Hammond, 41, and co-presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May were forced to apologise after a string of insulting remarks about Mexico in a recent show.

Speaking about the show overall, Hammond said: "One of the reasons Top Gear works is because we are three fairly ordinary blokes. You can identify with one or the other of us, be it age, height, presentation or manner... and one of the traits we bring together as a team is a certain outspoken quality."

He added: "And we're occasionally naughty. Who isn't?"

The TV presenter would not respond to remarks made by former BBC chairman Michael Grade, who called the incident "disgraceful" and "horrible".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/9511461

hahahah, all that naughty racism hahahha
die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This does not bode well for the Red Dwarf comeback.

I Thought that it was 'Dave' commissioning that.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Beast posted:

WHY IS OUTCASTS SO UNBELIEVABLY DULL UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE?

And then if you're clever you can work out everything thats going to happen in the next episode from the trailer. You could follow the whole series in 10 minutes! And seriously, gently caress the American trend of putting trailers at the end of shows - If the writing has been good then I loving guarantee you I drat well will be coming back next week. Its even more irritating on the BBC because, well... you have no drat reason to sell shows on anything other than good writing!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

FelchTragedy posted:

It is. My friend's dad was executive producer for the special in 2009 (he'll probably be doing the same for the next).

Also the Episodes finale was actually very good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FelchTragedy posted:

Oh thank god.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

They should remake red dwarf.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

justcola posted:

They should remake red dwarf.

You've suggested recasting a black guy with a white actor, using a film in which he played a massive racist as your example. Made me chuckle.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Yeah but he's also Al Capone. So...shucks.

I keep meaning to go to Craig Charles' Funk n Soul night in Manchester as it's just up the road but never get round to it. His show on 6 music is good enough not to make some other red dwarf, the last one wasn't that good. A bit better than series 8 but only by a tiny bit, then it dropped the ball with all the blade runner references. Let it lie.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

justcola posted:

Yeah but he's also Al Capone. So...shucks.
I did not know that, and while checking his wiki page to see what you were talking about I find that Stephen Graham is 1/4 Jamaican!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Metrication posted:

It is. My friend's dad was executive producer for the special in 2009 (he'll probably be doing the same for the next).

Also the Episodes finale was actually very good.

Episodes really prooved to be an excellent show. Glad I stuck with it beyond the slow start.

Also I know I will probably come off sounding like a massive oval office, I am honestly just curious about this, but did you get the vibe from your friend's dad that everybody involved genuinely believed that the Back to Earth special was as good as Red Dwarf in its heyday? Don't get me wrong here, I didn't hate it as vehemently as some people here have stated, but it certainly didn't compare to what it once was.

Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

So I guess with this latest episode, Outcasts is trying to go the Solaris route of a planetary intelligence? It is something I'd love to see done on a TV show, except the rest of the show is so very dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I caught one of the later episodes of Takeshis Castle and Craig Charles just sounded depressed.

Struggling with a heroin problem and being a regular on Coronation Street does that to a man I suppose :(.