Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

we've got tons of orange plastic bowels

Is that an expensive surgery?

gently caress new page, content...

You know those removeable door pull up bar whatsits? Do they do any long term damage to door frames? I'm renting, and I know they have padded ends but I don't want nice round pressure dents in the panelling when it comes to my post tenancy inspection.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, it's kitchen cleaner, bleach is only one of the ingredients. It's obviously meant to actually remove the content of spills on counters and things too. I figured that's what it did to my cup.

It's a cheap cup anyway, if it gets destroyed by the time I do this fifteen times or whatever that's fine with me. I'm not giving up iced tea anyway, I live on the stuff.

You may not want to use plastic containers for drinking for long, long periods of time. They will leach out chemicals. If I sound like a paranoid new mom then please correct me. I've heard this about plastic containers for the past decade.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh, nobody ever did a 50 year study on plastics, we have no idea of the long term effects of using them everywhere for everything all around us. It's probably what's giving us a variety of diseases.
:tinfoil:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Dudebro posted:

You may not want to use plastic containers for drinking for long, long periods of time. They will leach out chemicals. If I sound like a paranoid new mom then please correct me. I've heard this about plastic containers for the past decade.

This is correct, when looking for a plastic water bottle you want to make sure it's BPA-free. It usually says on the container and is advertised as a feature.

Or at least that's what's being demonized last I checked. I know my water bottle flaunted its BPA-freeness.

hella cool
Nov 12, 2005

IM LIKE SEABISCUIT BABY U CAN BET ON ME
How are supertall buildings constructed? More specifically, how do they get cranes up that high (and back down) to help construct the building?

This has always perplexed me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hella cool posted:

How are supertall buildings constructed? More specifically, how do they get cranes up that high (and back down) to help construct the building?

This has always perplexed me.

The cranes can crawl up metal spines that go up in the body of the building. Once they hit the top, the cranes are probably dismantled and lowered in pieces.
Crappy example of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujV-no-sDY

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The cranes can crawl up metal spines that go up in the body of the building. Once they hit the top, the cranes are probably dismantled and lowered in pieces.
Crappy example of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujV-no-sDY

Here's a much better video of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Does anyone know of a book that lists interesting psychological disorders and maybe a little quip/history behind it? I know I can just read wikipedia but I want a book I can take on the road.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Does anyone know of a book that lists interesting psychological disorders and maybe a little quip/history behind it? I know I can just read wikipedia but I want a book I can take on the road.

It's usually more physically caused neurological disorders, but all of Oliver Sacks writing is good, and about this. He wrote among others "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" (And was the person about whom the movie "Awakenings" was written.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

That's not all plastic though, only certain kinds. A good rule of thumb is that any plastic container not listed as both microwave-safe and dishwasher-safe will start breaking down if you heat things up in it, tho it's usually not actively harmful but will eventually end up with the plastic cracking and a mess everywhere.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
How do I search for completed auctions for a particlur item at eBay? I am trying to get a handle on how much to charge for stuff.

Edit: Thanks. I thought that was just for my own listings.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 19, 2011

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kapalama posted:

How do I search for completed auctions for a particlur item at eBay? I am trying to get a handle on how much to charge for stuff.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I feel retarded for asking this, but how the gently caress do you pay back your FAFSA loans? I can't find the simple button/link on the FAFSA website. I finally have enough money to pay off my student loans and I don't even know how to do it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I feel retarded for asking this, but how the gently caress do you pay back your FAFSA loans? I can't find the simple button/link on the FAFSA website. I finally have enough money to pay off my student loans and I don't even know how to do it.

Not to be a financial planner for you, but those loans are the lowest interest rate you will ever get, and paying them off in a timely fashion (month by month) really helps your crdit rating

As far as navigating student loans, it is a nightmare. There are at least three different clearinghouse that claim to talk to each other, but don't, so you might pay off what you think is your full balance with one of them and still have some pile of loans elsewhere.

I had a lawyer helping me out with this, and he missed $20,000 of loans, despite being sent a letter Sallie Mae testifying to the fact, in no uncertain terms, that all my loans were paid off.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 19, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

Not to be a financial planner for you, but those loans are the lowest interest rate you will ever get, and paying them off in a timely fashion (month by month) really helps your crdit rating

Don't do this. Get rid of your debt, there's no reason to pay interest to try and maintain a stupid credit score.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I have a coupon for a free product at McDonald's which reads "Coupon may not be transferred, auctioned, sold, copied or duplicated in any way or transmitted via electronic media."

Would it be legit to give it away via a blog contest (no purchase necessary, one of those "leave a comment and be entered" deals.)?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Kitsch! posted:

I have a coupon for a free product at McDonald's which reads "Coupon may not be transferred, auctioned, sold, copied or duplicated in any way or transmitted via electronic media."

Would it be legit to give it away via a blog contest (no purchase necessary, one of those "leave a comment and be entered" deals.)?

McDonalds really can't tell you what you can do with the coupon. You're not renting it, you didn't sign an agreement, you never implicitly or explicitly agreed to their terms. Worst case, McDonalds would refuse to honor the coupon after it's been transfered, but first off, they're not going to know, and secondly, the teenager behind the counter making minimum wage isn't going to care.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Gravity Pike posted:

McDonalds really can't tell you what you can do with the coupon. You're not renting it, you didn't sign an agreement, you never implicitly or explicitly agreed to their terms. Worst case, McDonalds would refuse to honor the coupon after it's been transfered, but first off, they're not going to know, and secondly, the teenager behind the counter making minimum wage isn't going to care.

Actually I got it second-hand too, so there you go.

I'm currently studying legal issues so part of me is saying McDonald's is going to come onto the website and be like, "Noooo you can't do that". I worry too much about little things like that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know any of the lyrics (otherwise I could just use Google) - what's the song that plays in Silence of the Lambs in the scene with the transvestite serial killer (he kept women in a pit until they lost enough weight, than killed them and used their loose skin for clothing).

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

actionjackson posted:

I don't know any of the lyrics (otherwise I could just use Google) - what's the song that plays in Silence of the Lambs in the scene with the transvestite serial killer (he kept women in a pit until they lost enough weight, than killed them and used their loose skin for clothing).

"Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazzarus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFCimKlpoQ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Enigma89 posted:

You need to find the servicer for your loans. You can look that up at the National Student Loan Data System. The FAFSA is just the application, not the actual repository for your loans. Be aware that your loans might be serviced by multiple companies, especially if you've been out of school for a while or have loans from multiple schools, or have a combination of Perkins, Stafford or private loans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kitsch! posted:

Actually I got it second-hand too, so there you go.

I'm currently studying legal issues so part of me is saying McDonald's is going to come onto the website and be like, "Noooo you can't do that". I worry too much about little things like that.

McDonald's doesn't give a drat about what you do with the coupon unless you're doing it on a huge scale that significantly impacts their business.

You're about as likely to get busted for this as you are to get sued by the MPAA for lending a Blu-Ray to a friend.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
code:
  / \
 /   \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \  \/
  \  \
 / \  \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \   /
  \ /  

This god drat S thing. It was posted in the ideas, myths and fads thread but then the thread died before anyone could figure out where it was from. I really want to know now. Some guy mentioned it's been around since the 70's. What does it mean???!!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I remember someone teaching me how to do that ~25 years ago. And it was basically a cool way to draw an S!!!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, I have a job as a process server for another company starting soon. I kind of want to turn this into a career at some point so if anyone can give me tips on the job, just starting out tips and hopefully some tips on building a client base and starting to work for myself after I've got some experience, THANKS!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Recently I've been getting an "itunes cannot read the contents of your ipod, please restore to factory settings" message when I connect my itouch (3.1.3 unjailbroken). Does anyone know of a program that will let me back up my music before I restore it? I definitely know there is one since I've used it before but I've forgotten the name.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Reason posted:

Hi, I have a job as a process server for another company starting soon. I kind of want to turn this into a career at some point so if anyone can give me tips on the job, just starting out tips and hopefully some tips on building a client base and starting to work for myself after I've got some experience, THANKS!

Maybe ask somewhere in the BFC subforum? I have no idea what process serving entails but I'm surprised that you could build a client base from that.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

change my name posted:

Recently I've been getting an "itunes cannot read the contents of your ipod, please restore to factory settings" message when I connect my itouch (3.1.3 unjailbroken). Does anyone know of a program that will let me back up my music before I restore it? I definitely know there is one since I've used it before but I've forgotten the name.

I have used Music Rescue and it worked pretty well, iTunes wouldnt even recognize the iPod and it was able to pull a ton of music off it. Not sure if they are still free.

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have used Music Rescue and it worked pretty well, iTunes wouldnt even recognize the iPod and it was able to pull a ton of music off it. Not sure if they are still free.

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

That wasn't what I was thinking of, but thanks! Since I'm only going to use it once the trial version looks perfect

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Comic Book Guy posted:

code:
  / \
 /   \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \  \/
  \  \
 / \  \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \   /
  \ /  

This god drat S thing. It was posted in the ideas, myths and fads thread but then the thread died before anyone could figure out where it was from. I really want to know now. Some guy mentioned it's been around since the 70's. What does it mean???!!
I was always under the impression it was a logo for the skater/surfer clothing company Stussy, but throwing the name into GIS didn't return the symbol as a result so I guess I was mistaken.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

Only registered members can see post attachments!

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Comic Book Guy posted:

code:
  / \
 /   \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \  \/
  \  \
 / \  \
|  |  |
|  |  |
 \   /
  \ /  

This is so weird. I used to always associated with Stussy brand clothing, everyone swears they had a Stussy hat or shirt with the symbol on it, but NO ONE can produce any photo proof.

It's Stussy, everyone knows it as the Stussy "Super S", but no one knows why those two are connected and it's very likely they never were.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/super-s-stussy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13A9JxwdOs

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 20, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

BorderPatrol posted:

This is so weird. I used to always associated with Stussy brand clothing, everyone swears they had a Stussy hat or shirt with the symbol on it, but NO ONE can produce any photo proof.

It's Stussy, everyone knows it as the Stussy "Super S", but no one knows why those two are connected and it's very likely they never were.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/super-s-stussy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13A9JxwdOs
It's older than you think, heh. I saw this in the '70s as a kid and didn't know where it came from. It could have stood for "Stoner" for all I knew. The Stussy brand goes back to the early '80s.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Ok, here's a question that will lead to a thread in whatever the the appropriate forum is.

I need to know about shipping. About shipping shirts, games, and records.
I need to know about packaging. I need to know about weighing it if it is relevant. I need to know about bulk materials for said packaging. And I'd like to find out average costs on shipping these various things within the US. I need to find out about bulk rate discounts and if they are within my scope of shipping. This is deeper than, "just stick it in a flat rate box".

Should I put this tell me thread in the general tell me thread or the business finance thread?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Ok, here's a question that will lead to a thread in whatever the the appropriate forum is.

I need to know about shipping. About shipping shirts, games, and records.
I need to know about packaging. I need to know about weighing it if it is relevant. I need to know about bulk materials for said packaging. And I'd like to find out average costs on shipping these various things within the US. I need to find out about bulk rate discounts and if they are within my scope of shipping. This is deeper than, "just stick it in a flat rate box".

Should I put this tell me thread in the general tell me thread or the business finance thread?

My two cents since I spent a summer selling off the remains of a store:

If you are selling things, I can recommend Fedex if you have a FedEx shipping place near you. The online tools do the labeling, can charge your shipping, correct bad addresses, and automatically include tracking and delivery confirmation. They have a wide area of standard box sizes that are easy to figure prices one. And the lines are much, much shorter.

If you are shipping across country lines or to Hawaii forget it.

USPS can have enormously long lines, but handles international if you want to deal with that, and handles Hawaii and other outlying US colonial possessions with some degree of ease.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Doesn't usps do all those things, now? I live in a relatively small town where lines are not a factor. And, usps can pick stuff up from your house now, I believe.

Is there a price difference?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

Doesn't usps do all those things, now? I live in a relatively small town where lines are not a factor. And, usps can pick stuff up from your house now, I believe.

Is there a price difference?

USPS kind of does. But for the variety of stuff I needed, USPS would not work since some of it was too heavy.

For me, once I added in the cost delivery confimation and insurance (My average insured price was over $300.00 and up to $1000.00, and ,ost of it was reasonably heavy to very heavy.), in most cases FedEx was cheaper, and offered tracking which USPS does not really. I was amazed at how much shipping speed made eBay people give me thumbs up positive feedback. I was in the Northeast, and frequently the package would arrive the next day at other places in the Northeast.

I did charge $15.00 per piece for shipping, though, and if the stuff you are sending is light or you do not want to charge shipping, USPS might be a better option. Note that the shipping charge is not part of the price that eBay takes their cut of. So if you pay for shipping yourself, your are also paying the eBay percentage on it.

(Just one man's opinion. Also note: many of the people I dealt with regularly on eBay used USPS exclusively, and were perfectly happy with it, some people hated the fact I only used FedEx.
NOt on SA but, the forums at eBay might be a good source of info for me. I imagine Etsy has a similar community of people shipping things that might be of help, and if your products are light they might tell you a bunch. There are probably a number of people who make their living selling stuff in SA-Mart so you might wsant to see if there is a shipping thread there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

A thread like that wouldn't be allowed in SA mart, and I know from browsing there, the retro gaming thread, and vinyl thread there should be a ton of experienced people here to compile this info.