Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That was an nice comeback from the Death Commandoes.
Still I don't think the situation is turning that bad yet: the Caballeros are, for the most part, in good shape, so they should have more than a chance of winning. Of course if the dices have turned completely against them, then there's not much else to do.
If I can make a suggestion, I'd start considering outmaneuvering the opposition (even with a map this size), since they are concentrated mostly in the center.

Oh, and as the previous PN's LP I can't help but :f5:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Edit:

Mukaikubo posted:

For godsakes you don't have to quote the last update on every single page. It just wears out scroll buttons faster; if someone has more than 40 posts unread in the thread I really doubt they are just going to go to the last page and assume that there wasn't an update by then. Sheesh.

Fixed. :blush:
Last tactical update can be found here.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
For godsakes you don't have to quote the last update on every single page. It just wears out scroll buttons faster; if someone has more than 40 posts unread in the thread I really doubt they are just going to go to the last page and assume that there wasn't an update by then. Sheesh.

Anyway, as others have said the situation is not unrecoverable for the Caballeros; having that AC/20 out of action for a turn or two is really going to suck, though. The damage output there was priceless.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Defiance Industries posted:

TRO:3060 gave us the Thunder Stallion, an Ill-fated attempt at a Hell's Horses totem mech with ammo in the head. It's pilots call it "the Coffin."
Ammo in the head isn't necessarily a terrible idea, if someone scores a critical hit there's a good chance you're screwed anyway.

Sair
May 11, 2007

How is anything getting 6s on the Wolverine? Thats the most maneuverable mech you have! Getting shot is for chumps.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

TRO:3060 gave us the Thunder Stallion, an Ill-fated attempt at a Hell's Horses totem mech with ammo in the head. It's pilots call it "the Coffin."

That's because Clan mechs have slot-free CASE, which means it's best to store ammo in an arm. That way when the ammo cooks off you're just short an arm instead of dead/nearly mission-killed. It's not a bad idea on IS mechs, especially IS XLFE mechs, because it makes it very unlikely to take an ammo bin hit. (Yes I know, the Stallion is a quad, that's another reason to not use Quads as a Clanner)

Well, for pickup games. For campaigns, CASE on IS XL engine mechs allows you to salvage them, which is important because they cost a lot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

That's because Clan mechs have slot-free CASE, which means it's best to store ammo in an arm. That way when the ammo cooks off you're just short an arm instead of dead/nearly mission-killed. It's not a bad idea on IS mechs, especially IS XLFE mechs, because it makes it very unlikely to take an ammo bin hit. (Yes I know, the Stallion is a quad, that's another reason to not use Quads as a Clanner)

Well, for pickup games. For campaigns, CASE on IS XL engine mechs allows you to salvage them, which is important because they cost a lot.

Well, that and the entire section is obliterated by damage before CASE kicks in, so the pilot is killed. Hence, coffin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Well, that and the entire section is obliterated by damage before CASE kicks in, so the pilot is killed. Hence, coffin.
Auto-eject engages before damage is applied too. Like I said before, you just need to find a replacement head and you're good to go.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man, I'm really at a loss for what to do. Charging forward is just going to get me mauled by the Zhukov. Staying where I am is going to get me mauled by EVERYONE.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm thinking of moving to 312, blasting D2 in the rear end, then followed up by a kick. Ideas?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm thinking of moving to 312, blasting D2 in the rear end, then followed up by a kick. Ideas?

Looks like you've got enough speed to make it to 0411 and hit him square in the back.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

oh god, 100 pages but I read them all...

Please sign me up to be a mechwarrior, I have PMs.

Rather than root for either the :ese: or the :ninja:, I'm just going to eat some popcorn and laugh at everything. Particularly that head crit.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Looks like you've got enough speed to make it to 0411 and hit him square in the back.

He could, but he'd run to do it. Getting to the side would only have him walk, I believe.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Polaron posted:

Man, I'm really at a loss for what to do. Charging forward is just going to get me mauled by the Zhukov. Staying where I am is going to get me mauled by EVERYONE.

The best scenario I can see for you is to head NW. You can't get proper cover with your reduced movement, but you CAN get that low hill between you and the Zhukov. Tanks are short, and even a level 1 elevation change blocks their LOS completely. At least then you don't have to worry about those AC10s.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tempest_56 posted:

He could, but he'd run to do it. Getting to the side would only have him walk, I believe.

Well, it's up to Bunny whether or not the extra difficulty is worth the better profile.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Auto-eject engages before damage is applied too. Like I said before, you just need to find a replacement head and you're good to go.

All those fact checkers and they can't even agree on that? I'm gonna go bother Bosch.

Still, there's always the chance your canopy doesn't blow out completely and you're carved up by it, like Candace Liao.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

... And if you're piloting a Wolfhound or Hatchetman you don't even need a new head. :smug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

All those fact checkers and they can't even agree on that? I'm gonna go bother Bosch.

Still, there's always the chance your canopy doesn't blow out completely and you're carved up by it, like Candace Liao.
Read up on the Commando in TRO 3025. Seriously, the notable pilot is notable because he survived having the mech's head shot off and then kept on fighting in a mech with no head for the rest of the campaign....

WarLocke posted:

... And if you're piloting a Wolfhound or Hatchetman you don't even need a new head. :smug:
Were it a role-playing session I'd have to rule that the full-head ejection systems work horribly wrongly if there's ammo in there. However, the Great Turtle and several other mechs with torso-mounted cockpits literally give no gently caress if the head is gone and thus stuff ammo there all the time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, If you have a full head ejection system and there is ammo stored in the head...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Read up on the Commando in TRO 3025. Seriously, the notable pilot is notable because he survived having the mech's head shot off and then kept on fighting in a mech with no head for the rest of the campaign....

Yeah, I've asked if that meant he just had an open cockpit on a neck once and the response I got was "who knows? Kooky FASA."

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Well, If you have a full head ejection system and there is ammo stored in the head...

"Oh, thank god, I made it cle-" *ammo cooks off*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would think that the ejection system would only ever be the cockpit. Some of those mech have really big head. It would be hard to eject the whole head. I mean, at least you could agree that common sense dictates that the ejection system wouldn't be designed to carry half a ton of armor and a ton of ammo along with the cockpit?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I would think that the ejection system would only ever be the cockpit. Some of those mech have really big head. It would be hard to eject the whole head. I mean, at least you could agree that common sense dictates that the ejection system wouldn't be designed to carry half a ton of armor and a ton of ammo along with the cockpit?

No, in those specific mechs (and a couple in later eras, it's pretty much a Team Banzai thing only IIRC) the head IS the ejection pod. The entire thing pops off with afterburners that (according to fluff) allow limited flight control so you can land it (relatively) safely. Then just pop it back onto a new chassis later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
If you look at the Hatchetman you'll see it even has guidance fins on the head, and the Axeman's head is basically a helicopter with no rotors. The Wolfhound I don't know what the gently caress.

I am unaware of any other full-head ejection systems.

Yeah, I've asked if that meant he just had an open cockpit on a neck once and the response I got was "who knows? Kooky FASA."
I like to think he rigged together a manual backup control system like Coop does in Megas XLR.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Off the top of my head, the PP Shadow and Phoenix Hawk, plus I think the Pack Hunter.

Also, if you have CASE and something explodes in the arm, you're still losing the torso its attached to since it only stops damage transferring from a location with CASE, not into.

And you can't put CASE in arms. There's CASE II but that works much differently.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 21, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

No, in those specific mechs (and a couple in later eras, it's pretty much a Team Banzai thing only IIRC) the head IS the ejection pod. The entire thing pops off with afterburners that (according to fluff) allow limited flight control so you can land it (relatively) safely. Then just pop it back onto a new chassis later.

Originally if you were prone when it went off you died. Such fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Off the top of my head, the PP Shadow and Phoenix Hawk, plus I think the Pack Hunter.

Also, if you have CASE and something explodes in the arm, you're still losing the torso its attached to since it only stops damage transferring from a location with CASE, not into.

And you can't put CASE in arms. There's CASE II but that works much differently.
Clan CASE goes everywhere, it's easiest to assume that a Clan mech has CASE on every lot of ammo unless the TRO says otherwise.

Interesting to see the full-head ejectors on the PP stuff. I'll have to re-read that so I can see which ones have it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I am unaware of any other full-head ejection systems.
According to the MW3 intro, the Atlas; then there's the MC1 intro with the Hunchback

Of course those are videogames, and like the tabletop lore, some aspects tend to vary considerably between sources (like the need or lack for the light environmental suits for the mechwarriors).

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Edit:

Arquinsiel posted:

The games are also totally disregarded by official sources.
Does that include also the two Crescent Hawks games?

radintorov fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 21, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The games are also totally disregarded by official sources. The cartoon had pretty much everything having the exact same ejection pod too.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Okay, I glanced through the thread, but couldn't find the page with the info on it any more...What is that Blackjack packing? I'm thinking of moving to 0915 and I'd like to be sure I'm not about to be murderized by it at close range.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Polaron posted:

Okay, I glanced through the thread, but couldn't find the page with the info on it any more...What is that Blackjack packing? I'm thinking of moving to 0915 and I'd like to be sure I'm not about to be murderized by it at close range.

Well, in the last round it fired an AC2 and 3 M lasers, so closing range might be painful.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Arquinsiel posted:

Clan CASE goes everywhere, it's easiest to assume that a Clan mech has CASE on every lot of ammo unless the TRO says otherwise.

Ah, I had the feeling the Clan version had a bit more to it than being weightless and crit-less.

As for the games, they're disregarded unless they have some sort of official in-universe writing about them.

So, with the Crescent Hawks, we know Jason Youngblood had some sort of adventure on Pacifica where he managed to snag a LAM, got signed on as a Kell Hounds subsidiary, and took part in fighting the Clan invasion before Luthien. (Blood of Kerensky trilogy, Jihad Hotspots and one of the FM: Mercenaries supplements)

With Mechwarrior 4, we basically know that Ian Dresari re-took Kentares and became duke. Black Knight may not be canon at all, and Mercenaries just plain isn't. (FCCW sourcebook)

With MW2, alternate ending notwithstanding, kinda got put out slightly because it had wierd poo poo like planetary shield generators and stuff. GBL has been lost to time, and Mercenaries was pretty big on playing out scenes from the Blood of Kerensky.

Not sure on the first MechCommander game, since its pretty much a straight take on liberating a Combine planet from Smoke Jaguar. That said there's no real writing about it. Likewise with MC2, other than Carver V being renamed Liberty, there's not much on it. Though the plot and amount of mechs involved was kinda silly with that one.

Mechwarrior 3 is probably the closest to actual canon, though, since Trial Under Fire is pretty much an official mini-novelization of the games plot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Port Arthur is mentioned in some of the books (like TRO: 3060), but not much information is given other than "we dun killed sum Jagwars on dat dere planet" and mention of mech designs encountered there. It's safe to assume that it didn't happen exactly like the game shows.

Polaron posted:

Standard BJ-1 Blackjack. 2 AC2, 4 Med lasers.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 21, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

Standard BJ-1 Blackjack. 2 AC2, 4 Med lasers.

But one of the AC2's was blown off by a critical.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

But one of the AC2's was blown off by a critical.

And one of the medium lasers has a huge accuracy penalty because the shoulder of the arm its in has been destroyed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Port Arthur is mentioned in some of the books (like TRO: 3060), but not much information is given other than "we dun killed sum Jagwars on dat dere planet" and mention of mech designs encountered there. It's safe to assume that it didn't happen exactly like the game shows.

Port Arthur is mentioned in FM:FS under the 1st Davion Guard writeup. Near as I can tell, it's the only significant victor that the 1st Davion Guard have had since the game started in 3025.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Port Arthur is mentioned in FM:FS under the 1st Davion Guard writeup. Near as I can tell, it's the only significant victor that the 1st Davion Guard have had since the game started in 3025.
Cool. I haven't had a chance to read through FM:FS properly, but that does match with the in-game stuff pretty well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So, how bout them mechs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You know, with all the lasers my mech is carrying, can I rename it pink floyd?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Volmarias posted:

So, how bout them mechs.
In honor of the page number, what's everyone's favorite 100-tonner? I'm partial to the Berserker just because of the silliness its hatchet causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gay Abortions posted:

In honor of the page number, what's everyone's favorite 100-tonner? I'm partial to the Berserker just because of the silliness its hatchet causes.

You had to ask this? The answer is, and always will be, the Atlas. :colbert:

• Locked thread