Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Subhumans. gently caress Ben Weasel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Dickeye posted:

This exactly.

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010

Rooney McNibnug posted:

This exactly.

What they said, Screeching Weasel would be awesome but I'd choose Subhumans any day. Also money is an issue and Ticketmaster will rape your wallet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To be fair, I'm hardly unbiased here. See: Every post I've made in the last few months re: Weasel.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Here is a video of Philadelphia's Snake Road. For fans of Tragedy and Disfear. It's not the best angle but the audio was good enough to throw it up.

http://vimeo.com/20184475

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Everyone that lives in/near Boston and didn't go see Lenny Lashley, The Snipes, The Murder, Refuse Resist, Welch Boys, The Damaged, and Burning Streets at the Great Scott tonight is a bad person.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dickeye posted:

Seriously though, gently caress Ben Weasel.

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010
Ben Weasel, he's an rear end in a top hat!

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Took several people's advice and saw Ceremony at the Che Cafe on Saturday. Pretty loving sweet. I thought the fuckers moshing were going to tear the roof down.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pabst Blue Trippin posted:

Ben Weasel, he's an rear end in a top hat!

I was going to post this, but he really is. He's a giant douchebag and anything that keeps money from going to him is a good thing.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Dickeye posted:

I was going to post this, but he really is. He's a giant douchebag and anything that keeps money from going to him is a good thing.

Why do people hate him so much? Not in a "I don't think he's so bad", but like I have seriously no idea what he did, I just thought he wrote some punk tunes back in the 90's.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
He's very outspoken on his dumb radio show or whatever about what is and is not "Punk" and he's a really bad music critic who puts his foot in his mouth at every possible opportunity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carl FTWinslow posted:

He's very outspoken on his dumb radio show or whatever about what is and is not "Punk" and he's a really bad music critic who puts his foot in his mouth at every possible opportunity.

He's also outspoken about politics, is a gigantic hypocrite, and unironically supports the Elans school, which is/was essentially a cult masquerading as therapy.

He's also a petty poo poo about who can and can't post on his Internet Forum (dead serious).

Ben Weasel is basically just a giant dbag and the only reason I even pretend to care about new Screeching Weasel poo poo is Vapid.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Pabst Blue Trippin posted:

Is anyone going to Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas? I'm pretty stoked to see Cock Sparrer and The Descendents!

I go every year.

Also, it's funny how the whole notion of "separating the art from the artist" applies to everyone BUT Ben Weasel.

Personally, I'll never listen to the Sex Pistols again because Lydon made a butter commercial.

Ferrule fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 22, 2011

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
Screeching Weasel is boring. Everyone should just listen to Chixdiggit all the time instead. "Safeways Here We Come" is the catchiest thing I've heard in a while and KJ is at least 97% percent cooler than Ben Weasel.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Doin a west coast tour with my band Oblivion this April

April
7th - Tacoma, Wa - @Red Room
8th - Centralia, Wa - @Dilla Factory
9th - Sacramento, Ca - @Branch St. w/Crucified, more
10th - Pomona, Ca - @Alladins w/Alpha & Omega, Xibalba, Expire, more
11th - Los Angeles, Ca - TBA
12th - San Diego, Ca - TBA
13th - Phoenix, Az - TBA
14th - Las Vegas, Nv - TBA
15th - Fresno, Ca - @China Town Youth Center
16th - Reno, Nv - @Fort Ryland 2000 w/Code X Red, Wolf City, more

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

I go every year.

Also, it's funny how the whole notion of "separating the art from the artist" applies to everyone BUT Ben Weasel.

Personally, I'll never listen to the Sex Pistols again because Lydon made a butter commercial.

He made a couple decent albums with help from Jughead, but most of it is boring as hell. The current incarnation is essentially The Ben Weasel Super Show and he only recruited Vapid because otherwise he'd look like a giant dick "reforming" the band without any previous members. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the hell out of My Brain Hurts and Boogada but gently caress if I ever want to give that rear end in a top hat money ever again.

Also Chixdiggit does, in fact, own, however I contend that people should be listening to House Boat instead. Every day, I check the T. Street website hoping for an update on the new album.

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010

Ferrule posted:

I go every year.

Lydon did that to raise funds for PIL's tour so I let that slide.

Pabst Blue Trippin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 23, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To take the talk away from Ben Weasel and onto another band that had a couple good albums and then sucked like a expensive prostitute, Alkaline Trio is doing a new comp album of old songs that they're "re-imagining" with new instruments and poo poo.

On one hand, I'm always down for another version of Private Eye. On the other, it's going to be a bad one.

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010
Sounds about as good as an idea of Streetlight Manifesto redoing Keasbey Knights.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Except that the Streetlight version of Keasbey Nights is essentially just a better quality recording, with a couple parts rearranged (Kristina, that part of On and On and On that's Pachelbel's Canon), exists because the singer is a perfectionist, and is actually pretty good.

This looks like it's basically them trying to make money doing a greatest hits but instead of just doing one, or even settling for re-recording the songs and doing them straight, they're "re-imagining" poo poo and that almost never ends well, especially when the band mentions using new instruments.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
god willing we can get some more incredibly out of place trumpet solos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As much as I don't mind the trumpet on that song, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I think my thoughts when I first heard it were along the lines of, "This has no clear reason for existing, since when they play it live it's probably just going to be done on a guitar anyways."

also I'm slightly sad that Ben Weasel discussion is over and I missed a chance to claim that "you just hate him 'cause he don't have to work" (even though he is for real a total shitlord)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Everything Ben says/writes/blog/does is done to get this exact reaction - and he's been doing it for 20+ years.

The guy ain't lying when he says he loves playing the heel.

Emphasis on PLAYING.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ferrule posted:

Everything Ben says/writes/blog/does is done to get this exact reaction - and he's been doing it for 20+ years.

Emphasis on PLAYING.

Ben Weasel apologist spotted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

Emphasis on PLAYING.

No he really is a giant dbag that supports a cult masquerading as therapy.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What did he do?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A5H posted:

What did he do?

Carl FTWinslow posted:

If you mean what I said, then google "Elan school". He went there in the 80s (he's mentioned it in interviews!) and he supports it to this day, despite all the poo poo that's come out about how terrible it is.

e: Even if he is pretending, it's still being a dbag!

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 25, 2011

Afterburner
Aug 17, 2004

Following leaders leads nowhere.
Anyone that's in New England should come out to the 3rd annual P.U.N.K.Fest.
Basically, it's an all day dealie with cheap food, about 15+ (though this year is looking like it'll be closer to 20) or so bands from around Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Mass, etc. (this year it's mostly Maine, and a few from NH and VT) and a Nintendo contest (the fest's name is actually Punks United by Nintendo Kontest). The last two were NES and N64, this year is SNES, and prizes have been games and the coveted Nintendo glove. The show isn't just punk bands though, past and current line-ups included ska, hardcore, indie, post-rock/punk, etc.

Fun fact - the singer/guitarist for USAWaste was a founding member of A Global Threat, so if you're into street punk check 'em out.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.punknews.org/article/41750

quote:

Also of note is the announcement that Mikey Erg (The Ergs!, a million other bands) has joined the group on drums and vocals.

Mikey Erg and Stza. What an odd crossing that is (how does Mikey have time to be in so many bands, tour with them all, and tour solo?)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Holy Christ, I think I'm actually excited about this, and not just ambivalent about another crack rocksteady album.

e: I'm pretty sure The Ergs were actually a hardcore band waaaaay back when so it makes a little sense. Still looking forward to hearing him sing on an SFH album though.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 26, 2011

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Holy poo poo, seeing Hot Water Music twice in six months and once will be in Gainesville? I think I might kill myself after Fest 10, life will be all downhill from there.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Angiepants posted:

Holy poo poo, seeing Hot Water Music twice in six months and once will be in Gainesville? I think I might kill myself after Fest 10, life will be all downhill from there.

Speaking of which, the Fest 10 headliners are exactly what we've come to expect from the No Idea folks, but gently caress if I'm not pumped for it.

Only complaint: We need some California bands up on that bill. Where's my Joyce Manor, Hard Girls, or Big Kids?

EDIT: Yeah, yeah. We've got Dead To Me and Toys That Kill and such, but what about bands that I give a poo poo about? HM?!

gerfatty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 27, 2011

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

gerfatty posted:

Speaking of which, the Fest 10 headliners are exactly what we've come to expect from the No Idea folks, but gently caress if I'm not pumped for it.

Only complaint: We need some California bands up on that bill. Where's my Joyce Manor, Hard Girls, or Big Kids?

EDIT: Yeah, yeah. We've got Dead To Me and Toys That Kill and such, but what about bands that I give a poo poo about? HM?!

Needs more Gunmoll.

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
I started a record label for weird Phoenix poo poo that no one will like, and I just had my first release. It's hardcore but there's something about it that you I can't describe, and you can download it for free here: http://anxietymachinerecords.bandcamp.com/

The band is called Gay Kiss and maybe some of you will like it.

In other news, Fest 10 being announced, what, 4 months after Fest 9 has really lessened the amount of hype that I have for it. I'll go regardless of the fact that it's the same bands and I don't even care about the headliners too much, just because it's the best weekend of the year even if you miss 80% of the shows.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Durgoc posted:

Took several people's advice and saw Ceremony at the Che Cafe on Saturday. Pretty loving sweet. I thought the fuckers moshing were going to tear the roof down.

Yeah Ceremony shows are just plain nuts, especially if it's a small venue there's no escaping the mosh.

I haven't kept up or paid attention to hardcore for like 2 years, back then Ceremony, Trash Talk n co were the peak of popularity. Are there any other bands as big as that now? like "THE band to listen to" lately. Just curious how much the scene has changed since I last went to a show..

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A3 finished recording the "alternate versions" album already. Dang.

I'm taking bets on what will be the worst song on it, in terms of the song itself and in terms of the new version.

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010

Dickeye posted:

I'm taking bets on what will be the worst song on it, in terms of the song itself and in terms of the new version.

Hey is it ok to link to files if its legal? I just discovered this band called The Brixton Robbers and they're giving their album away for free on Death To False Hope Record's page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Enjoy Your Day.