Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

DDP debut was the best because the crowd was going nuts and jr was trying to sell us on ddp being a heel and a sicko.

DDP apparently got shafted as he couldn't sell a comeback as a heel apparently at least thats what lance storm said on his last shoot interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody said he was an underrated incredible worker, but what he does do, he does amazingly well.

I was responding to a post that said "I always thought the Undertaker was an incredible worker," in response to a post that had said he was never the greatest worker. So, yes, someone said that, I responded to it. I agree, over the years he's definitely learned to accentuate his positives, and like Grody said if he cares about the match he has a good chance of going all out, but he's not up there in great workers of the WWE, and that's what I was responding to.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I think they were intending for it to suck, hence why they booked it. It was a deliberate sabotage. They could have just as easily booked Booker T vs DDP which would have been a much better match to present.

Bagwell was just lazy. I saw the match. The hype and the initial reactions to both participants was CRAZY! I mean... listen to the huge pop for Bagwell of all wrestlers. Booker could only do so much in the match.

Look what happened: Booker T thrived and Bagwell was fired basically a week later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Duke posted:

I was responding to a post that said "I always thought the Undertaker was an incredible worker," in response to a post that had said he was never the greatest worker.

Didn't see that sorry, and yeah that's silly, he's a lot of things, and he's great, but I didn't think anyone thought he was an "incredible worker" or would ever claim such.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

For what its worth Kurt Angle claims that Undertaker is the best worker in the business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Kurt and think he's an amazing wrestler but that dude crazy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The best worker in the business is Hogan. He made the most money.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm reading Jericho's new book and earlier in it, he said Bagwell was the sole reason WCW didn't get it's planned Saturday night show and whatnot.

Thanks Buff... (I still love you and Steiner)

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Nash mastered the work : money ratio to benefit him to the greatest extent, therefore, Nash is the best. Second place: Sting.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

but he wasn't a draw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Duke posted:

Nash mastered the work : money ratio to benefit him to the greatest extent, therefore, Nash is the best. Second place: Sting.

The point I'm getting at is people need to learn the difference between the words "Worker" and "Wrestler".

sportsgenius86 posted:

but he wasn't a draw

okay bruno.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

El Duke posted:

That is actually a direct quote from Nash.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

The point I'm getting at is people need to learn the difference between the words "Worker" and "Wrestler".

okay bruno.

Now that Bruno Sammartino, he was a wrestler! What a draw!

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Another Nash gem was when he was told Flair made comments about the Outsiders being bad workers and a cancer to WCW.

His reply was "I'm sorry you feel that way Ric, I respect you and all but its fake so whatever. You've won 16 fake world titles and I hope you're proud of that because you're broke so ya know, hehehe"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If you're going by Work : Money ratio, then Lanny Poffo is the clear winner. Sat on his rear end for 4 years for a $750k per year contract.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

budreck posted:

Another Nash gem was when he was told Flair made comments about the Outsiders being bad workers and a cancer to WCW.

His reply was "I'm sorry you feel that way Ric, I respect you and all but its fake so whatever. You've won 16 fake world titles and I hope you're proud of that because you're broke so ya know, hehehe"

I cant hate Nash anymore. This is too good of a burn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Considering the poo poo that networks will happily put on, it goes to show how bad WCW was at the end that nobody wanted anything to do with it.

The reason I ask is because following that main event, they really seemed to make that immediate shift into,"Okay now WCW are the bad guys, Shane is a bad guy, Steph is bad, boo the bad people and cheer for WWF (not X-Pac)" mode.

You forgot the anti-XPac, Rob Van Dam. Literally the entire Alliance were heels, except RVD, because after about 3 weeks of trying, they gave up and acknowledged that people just thought the dude was too cool to boo.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

The Croc posted:

DDP apparently got shafted as he couldn't sell a comeback as a heel apparently at least thats what lance storm said on his last shoot interview.

It was that he couldn't sell a comeback in the WWE style. The WCW style comeback involved staying down and selling a bump while the WWE style is that you pop back up after the bump, bump again, repeat a few times. Jericho talks about having the same problem when he started in WWE. DDP, to his credit, was an older guy who became a decent worker and star (with help in the office), then went to WWE where he was older and still did a good job learning a different style. I'm not saying he was one of the greats or I'm a big fan but the guy deserves credit for being an overachiever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It seems like if DDP got into wrestling when he was younger, he could have been WCW's anwser to the Rock.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

It seems like if DDP got into wrestling when he was younger, he could have been WCW's anwser to the Rock.

If DDP got into wrestling when he was younger he would have hit it big when the Rock was in high school.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

DDP was WCW's answer to the Rock.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

Considering the poo poo that networks will happily put on, it goes to show how bad WCW was at the end that nobody wanted anything to do with it.

The reason I ask is because following that main event, they really seemed to make that immediate shift into,"Okay now WCW are the bad guys, Shane is a bad guy, Steph is bad, boo the bad people and cheer for WWF (not X-Pac)" mode.

It was no secret about the amount of money that WCW lost in 2000. We'll never know for sure how much because of everyone's stories changing, but it was an absurd amount. Add the lawsuits and crap ratings and no one will touch you with a ten foot pole. But mostly with no television deal it wasn't worth owning which is why Bischoff didn't even want it anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Who used the 'People's Champion' line first?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

It was no secret about the amount of money that WCW lost in 2000. We'll never know for sure how much because of everyone's stories changing, but it was an absurd amount. Add the lawsuits and crap ratings and no one will touch you with a ten foot pole. But mostly with no television deal it wasn't worth owning which is why Bischoff didn't even want it anymore.

Bischoff still wanted it. He was trying hard to get a deal with FX, but he only had a couple days to do it. Even if he found that deal it's hard to tell if he'd still be able to buy the company, his financial backers were a house of cards. Vince would just end up paying a little more than practically nothing.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I think they were intending for it to suck, hence why they booked it. It was a deliberate sabotage. They could have just as easily booked Booker T vs DDP which would have been a much better match to present.

I think it's actually more that Vince didn't know how much Bagwell sucked, otherwise he never would have been brought in. They actually thought this was the best option.

Re: Undertaker as a worker - he was an incredible worker for a man of his size. In terms of an overall worker, he's really not that special, but for a 7-footer, he's one of the best ever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Was it New Blood Rising that had the PPV buy rate so low that WCW refused to tell anyone?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Not quite. The Rock was WWF's answer to DDP.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

BigRed0427 posted:

Was it New Blood Rising that had the PPV buy rate so low that WCW refused to tell anyone?

Take your pick for any buy rate for them that year but I'm sure its that one. That one was billed as the turning point of the company.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Not quite. The Rock was WWF's answer to DDP.

Neither was really an answer to each other, since they have nothing in common beyond DDP ripping the Rock off in calling himself the People's Champion.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CSammich posted:

Neither was really an answer to each other, since they have nothing in common beyond DDP ripping the Rock off in calling himself the People's Champion.

DDP called himself that first.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

DDP called himself that first.

I don't know the exact dates, I just remember the Internet not accepting DDP's claim because Rock did it first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't Vince also get first right of refusal on any deal to sell the company as part of some settlement over a lawsuit or something? So Bischoff was pretty much guaranteed to NEVER be able to buy it?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Vince also get first right of refusal on any deal to sell the company as part of some settlement over a lawsuit or something? So Bischoff was pretty much guaranteed to NEVER be able to buy it?

This is true. They both had major lawsuits with each other and when they both settled out of court, one of the stipulations was that if ever WCW came up for sale the WWF would get first dibs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ColeM posted:

This is true. They both had major lawsuits with each other and when they both settled out of court, one of the stipulations was that if ever WCW came up for sale the WWF would get first dibs.

This was part of the settlement over Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

bobkatt013 posted:

Thats what I was getting at. WWF was suing them because WCW made it seem like WWF was actually invading WCW and that Hall acted too razor-ish for their liking among other frivolous things. WCW's lawsuit later on was pretty terrible too and a waste of time. Their suits against each other were pending for a really long time(Bret mentions in his book that Eric specified that when he comes over that he tie up any loose ends and come over as best he can because of said lawsuits).

ColeM fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 21, 2011

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You know, this makes the initial idea of having it be a WWF invasion storyline even funnier.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Vince couldn't buy WCW as long as they had the Turner TV contract. Once that was off the table it was nearly impossible for Bischoff to buy WCW without grossly overpaying.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CSammich posted:

I don't know the exact dates, I just remember the Internet not accepting DDP's claim because Rock did it first.

You're misremembering then because DDP was doing it in 97, wheras rock did it in 98 during his IC run.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

Vince couldn't buy WCW as long as they had the Turner TV contract. Once that was off the table it was nearly impossible for Bischoff to buy WCW without grossly overpaying.

It wasn't. The video library had a lot of value and Vince got it for nothing. The cost of WCW was paid off in the first PPV, I believe. Jericho said when he found out how little Vince paid he was pissed because he would have bought it. Jamie Kellner just wanted it gone as quickly as possible. Selling it wasn't a bad move but he definitely didn't invest effort in trying to make money off the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

It wasn't. The video library had a lot of value and Vince got it for nothing. The cost of WCW was paid off in the first PPV, I believe. Jericho said when he found out how little Vince paid he was pissed because he would have bought it. Jamie Kellner just wanted it gone as quickly as possible. Selling it wasn't a bad move but he definitely didn't invest effort in trying to make money off the sale.

Do you seriously think Vince wouldn't top a Bischoff counter-offer? Vince was willing to pay far more for the company in the Fall of 2000. He'd be interested in WCW for as long as the company would be worth the money. After that point Bischoff would be overpaying for it. Grossly overpaying in fact since Bischoff wouldn't have the resources to exploit the purchase that Vince has.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 21, 2011