Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.

Papaya posted:

It's not over until it's over for me. I just cannot get excited. We'll see what tomorrow's looks like :)

Fingers crossed for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I had to tell a whole group of "friends" within a week or two of finding out, because I am on the local roller derby team and had to tell skater relations that I would not be coming to practices. They were pretty good about keeping the secret, which with a group of girls of 70+ and Facebook I don't know how they did it. We planned a present for our parents, one set being a few hours away which delayed it. Once all of our family and close friends knew, then at the next home derby bout, it was announced as a joke to us over the PA in front of 6000 people that I was pregnant. Boy that was a little weird. All of this happened in the first trimester.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

LizaAbeja posted:

So how soon do you all plan on telling your parents once you get prego? We're pretty close to our parents, and I can't imagine waiting much longer to tell them, but then we haven't even confirmed a heartbeat (another 3 weeks for that). So what do you all think? I know it'll be different for each person, but I'd love to hear some good reasons for either way. Thanks!

We told our parents right away because I found out the day before Mother's Day. I then told my best friend and he told his best friend sometime that week. Everyone else knew the day we saw the heart beating.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Yesterday's test was darker but looked more evap-ish vs having colour. Whatever, blood test is tomorrow so I guess we'll see.

When/if we ever have kids my immediate family and his will wind up knowing, simply because he opened his fat mouth and told them we were doing IUI now and now both parent sets are bugging us about when did we do it, and did it work, etc etc. Ugh.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
We told our parents and my sister right away. We figured that they were who we'd want to be there for us if we lost the baby. We told Facebook a few weeks later, closer to the end of 1st trimester, and that meant everyone knew.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I know I'll tell my immediate family right away, because I would want their support should anything go wrong. My husband's family is a little trickier and I've had to just accept reality. His "immediate family" basically spans his entire extended family including 2nd cousins and great uncles, because they practically all live on the same street and they see each other daily. My husband told his mom when he was planning on proposing to me, and SWORE her to secrecy. Well, within a week everyone in the family knew and someone slipped up to me. :doh: I imagine the announcement of our pregnancy will spread just as quickly, as much as I hate that everyone will know so soon.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Papaya posted:

Yesterday's test was darker but looked more evap-ish vs having colour. Whatever, blood test is tomorrow so I guess we'll see.

When/if we ever have kids my immediate family and his will wind up knowing, simply because he opened his fat mouth and told them we were doing IUI now and now both parent sets are bugging us about when did we do it, and did it work, etc etc. Ugh.

Good luck on the blood test. Can't wait to hear. :)

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
I just got back from having the draw, they said they'd start callbacks around noon so I'm going back to bed.

I don't think it worked so I'm irritated at the huge bruise on my arm for nothing.

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
Well.

Last Saturday, the ob/gyn said that it wasn't growing as expected and no heartbeat was detected. We were told to prepare for the worst. We did the bloodtest for HCG on Monday and went to see the report on Tuesday. There was a heartbeat, but erratic.

We went again today for the follow up. No heartbeat this time. The ob/gyn said it was time to let go. Booked coming Tuesday morning for the D&C procedure.

I know it's very common since the dawn of human history and there is nothing we could have done to prevent it, but it surely sucks, I can tell you that. But it did teach us a few things. The incredible surge of worry and stress that really is normal and good in a way. There is also that incredible surge and motivation to do that extra step for the child. And that we truly want children, and we will.

Just not this time.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Sorry Kenshi :(

edit: blood results negative, on to round 2

Papaya fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 20, 2011

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Sorry to hear that, papaya. Good luck next month.

Kenshi, I did the D&C thing following a miscarriage Sept 2009. The procedure itself wasn't so bad because they give you some sweet drugs, but the situation itself sucked mightily. Take care of yourselves and good luck in trying again when you're ready.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
Aw, Kenshi, that sucks. You're living my biggest fear right now, because at 38 I'm not at all confident that I can get pregnant, let alone make a healthy baby. Take care of yourself.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Sorry this month didn't work out Papaya :(

Kenshi, that sounds heartbreaking. I'm so sorry :sympathy:

I just started my first cycle of injectibles and IUI, so here's hoping this cycle works.

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
Thanks for the supportive comments everyone.

I'm actually at the hospital waiting for her to come out now. We did a check again at the a&e last night and apparently, most of it came out naturally on Saturday when she was showering. The news hit her quite hard beforehand, but hearing that news actually cheered her up since it gave her a piece of mind. I guess its better to come naturally rather than clinically. On the other hand, the reality of it hit me last night, but I know there wasn't much we could have done.

On the brighter side, the a&e doctor was probably quite surprised at how well we received the news last night and probably thought we were sociopaths.

To everyone, best of luck.

Kenshi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 22, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Looks like it's not our month, either. Period came today, 3 days late! I really thought I was. Oh well, better luck next month..

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

The wedding I shot photos at last Saturday was such a blast, I was feeling confident, and cool, and a bit like I was "ahead" so to speak, since the bride was a classmate of mine from high school, and she was just finally getting married and I've been married for 2.5 yrs. I always felt so "behind" everyone since everyone went off and got married and already has at least 1 kid if not 2-3 now, and I'm still trying after 2.5 yrs.

So on facebook today she posts that she's 18weeks :suicide: So much for that! Back to being the last one again. "So when are you and Guy having kids?"

I guess never, assholes.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I'm in the lousy 2 week waiting period now. I'm pretty sure I despise the wait time.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I finally got a doctor to agree to see me. So we'll see what she says in about a week. I am finally on a new cycle, but my last one ended up being 17 weeks.

So sorry for all of you with bad news lately. I'm so stressed out with my silly situation. I can't even imagine going through what you all are...

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Good luck SassySally!

So I have to ask now. I went to a new doctor today for a general asthma refill appointment and while I was there I asked about the asthma meds being safe during pregnancy since we are trying to conceive. She said all was good and then asked if I was caught up on my flu and pneumonia shots. When I told her no and that I wasn't interested in getting them, she kept pushing the matter. I realize that a lot of people live by their flu shots but I haven't had one since I was probably 16, I'm just not a fan for a few reasons. Anyway, I guess my question is how imperative is it that I change my game up now? She kept pushing that it was really important to have it and that I'm going to get one regardless once I get pregnant. Have any of you dealt with this before?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Bahunter22 posted:

Good luck SassySally!

So I have to ask now. I went to a new doctor today for a general asthma refill appointment and while I was there I asked about the asthma meds being safe during pregnancy since we are trying to conceive. She said all was good and then asked if I was caught up on my flu and pneumonia shots. When I told her no and that I wasn't interested in getting them, she kept pushing the matter. I realize that a lot of people live by their flu shots but I haven't had one since I was probably 16, I'm just not a fan for a few reasons. Anyway, I guess my question is how imperative is it that I change my game up now? She kept pushing that it was really important to have it and that I'm going to get one regardless once I get pregnant. Have any of you dealt with this before?

The flu is a lot more dangerous to pregnant women than to your average person. It will be even more dangerous for you since you already have asthma. This is why the doctor is pushing it so much for you. You are in a completely different risk category than you used to be.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
You should get one if you're trying to conceive because, as the prior poster said, the flu is extra dangerous for pregnant women. But if you choose not to now, you really REALLY should get one once pregnant, because that way you pass the antibodies to your unborn child, which is the only way you can ensure that a newborn gets flu antibodies, since you can't give a brand newborn a flu shot.

So, yeah. Get a flu shot. You've got a baby to think about (hopefully).

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
I also have asthma. I got the flu shot for the first time ever last year, while pregnant. I also got the H1N1 shot later on. Asthma plus flu is not a risk worth taking, even more so while pregnant.

edited to add: Now that I have a baby, I also got a flu shot this year. I suppose I'll probably be getting them from now on.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Well, if all goes according to plan we'll be trying for a babby some time around September/October, so...hello!

We're trying to do stuff now so that we don't have to feel rushed when we're ready to start - we both just got the TDaP (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) shot, which I guess my ob/gyn's office is offering as a response to the amount of pertussis that's been going around, and we're going to schedule a blood test to screen for genetic disorders (we are both of eastern-European Jewish background) at my doctor's suggestion. Since my husband is older than I am we've been thinking about having a semen analysis done but I don't know that that's totally necessary.

Are we overthinking this whole thing? We're both planners and I know there is so much you can't plan for so to me it seems natural to cover what you can.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
If you haven't already, start taking folic acid supplements or prenatals now, so that you don't have to worry about it later.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Hello, Schweig und tanze! I think getting a semen analysis done at this point is a bit over the top, but if it makes you more calm/happy/relaxed/feel good in some way, then go for it. It won't hurt to rule out any problems on his end. I can't imagine over-planning being detrimental in any way.

I'm on the two week wait again. Here's hoping that the injectables + IUI succeed where Clomid + IUI failed.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Joining the two week wait club. Two weeks is so long!

Also to follow up on Clearblue vs. Cheapass ovulation strips: They worked exactly the same for me. I used the cheap strips until I noticed the test line starting to darken, then I used a cheap strip and a Clearblue stick once a day until I got a positive. They both turned positive on the same day--I used the same urine, and the Clearblue gave me a happy face positive after about two and a half minutes, while the cheap strip took the full five minutes of developing time as stated on the package for the test line to become as dark as the control line, but it was definitely positive. They were both positive again yesterday and then negative today, so either one would have worked fine and given me accurate results (assuming they both didn't screw up somehow!). Interestingly, the Clearblue instructions specifically mention that the color of the lines on the test strip has nothing to do with the digital result, so after getting the smiley face positive, I ejected the strip and looked at it closely. Sure enough, one line was lighter than the other, a "negative" result on any other test. I wonder how the digital tests work?

I have been officially diagnosed with PCOS, so I'm starting Metformin today and also going in next Monday to check my progesterone levels to see if I really, truely ovulated or not. I've had a hugeass pain in the area of my right ovary for the last three days or so that's just now beginning to subside, so if I didn't ovulate I'm going to be pissed (or if it turns out I managed to ovulate like 20 eggs I'm going to be pissed for other reasons...)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Thanks GR! FiTD - thanks for the reminder! My multivitamin has the amount of folic acid that was recommended by my dr (400mcg), the only supplement she said I need to add at this point is 1000mcg of calcium.

We're going back and forth on the semen analysis. On the one hand it would be nice to be able to get out in front of any potential issues on his end, especially considering his age. If everything is fine, then that's only $150 out of our pockets, no big deal. On the other, I don't want to get all crazy about this stuff. We've already decided that we'll just try it and see if it happens, but if it doesn't we won't pursue any fertility treatments. I feel pretty confident we'll be ok, we're both healthy and I ovulate every month like clockwork. Although, when I had my latest pelvic exam the doctor said my uterus was a little heavy - wtf does that mean? I suppose I should have asked.

The other reason to do the semen analysis would be if we do decide to have sperm frozen, which we've been talking about for awhile now.

It's pretty amazing how in the last two years or so my desire to have a kid and a family has ramped up tremendously. I'm sure part of it has to do with being in a good, healthy relationship for about a million years, but there is definitely a hormonal aspect to it as well. I always made jokes about 30-something women and their biological clocks, and now I am one of them :saddowns:

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
They now make at-home sperm tests, you can get them on Amazon or early-pregnancy-tests.com. Might be a good middle ground if you're not quite ready to shell out the $150 for a lab test.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

yawnie posted:

They now make at-home sperm tests, you can get them on Amazon or early-pregnancy-tests.com. Might be a good middle ground if you're not quite ready to shell out the $150 for a lab test.

Do you know if they're decent?

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

Alterian posted:

Do you know if they're decent?

I don't know, but I do know that they will definitely gently caress with your Amazon personalized recommendations.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I don't really know how to answer that because I haven't ever used one (er, well, I don't make sperm but you know what I mean), I just know they exist. There is one that works basically like a pregnancy test, and a second line simply means that your partner produces a healthy amount of sperm (I don't remember the actual number but it's on the website). The second one is basically a mini microscope with grids that you look into to check count and motility.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What if you're a giant nerd and already own a decent microscope?

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
The answer is obvious.

Jizz on it.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

If you're looking to have a semen analysis done, go to a doctor. The home kits (if anything) will tell you if sperm exist and, if you're lucky, the number of them. A real semen analysis will wash away all of the dead ones and give you a motility percentage (live swimmers), and also do a quality check (remove those with two heads/tails, derpy ones swimming in circles, jocks bumping heads who don't care about getting the girl, etc.). This is what you really want.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Yeah my dr wrote out the order for the SA so I think we'll just go ahead and do it. It's not a lot of money and insurance will reimburse part of it anyway. Just one less thing we have to worry about :)

We're really only waiting until Autumn to start trying because I am starting a new job on Monday and don't want to turn up a month later and be like "oh by the way guys I'm knocked up." That, plus there's some stuff around the house I want to get done before we have to worry about a baby and me being pregnant. It's hard to wait though! Good luck to everyone trying now and going through fertility treatments.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah I'm 8 DPO Saturday, this cycle with clomid+IUI. This cycle my nips hurt like poo poo (started yesterday) and today I was hungry all day. It's not even far enough along to be anything. I really hate the drugs causing symptoms :(

They have my beta scheduled for 17 DPO and gently caress that, gonna pee on a stick at like 13 or 14. MOST people should have a faint line or better by then, right?

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Papaya posted:

Yeah I'm 8 DPO Saturday, this cycle with clomid+IUI. This cycle my nips hurt like poo poo (started yesterday) and today I was hungry all day. It's not even far enough along to be anything. I really hate the drugs causing symptoms :(

They have my beta scheduled for 17 DPO and gently caress that, gonna pee on a stick at like 13 or 14. MOST people should have a faint line or better by then, right?

Possibly, since it's right at the two week mark. Everytime they drew blood for HCG the nurse would ask me if I had tested. One time I really thought I had seen the faintest of lines and that made my negative results worse to deal with. The one time I didn't test prior was the one where I was actually pregnant. If I had tested, my line would have been really dark since I had a 213 beta at 15 DPO. This stuff made me ridiculously superstitious.

Are you on progesterone?

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah on progesterone. Hate the stuff. Not really fond of copious amounts of nasty poo poo pouring forth from my nether regions. It's unfair - I do the progesterone for close to 2 weeks, have a negative test, then bleed for a few more days. It's like nearly 3 weeks of grossness for nothing. I want to be pregnant damnit to make it worth it.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Well, doctor says I probably have too much testosterone to be ovulating. Anyone else have a similar problem? What do they do to fix it?

They decided to take a bunch of tests which I won't hear results of for at least a week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Sorry in advance for the TMI but that's kind of how it goes in this thread, eh?

My husband and I have been TTC for about a month. Last night I had a little bit of spotting, and I was all excited thinking it was probably implantation bleeding -- according to fertility calendars I've seen it's pretty much dead-on as far as the timing of it (my period isn't due for another week) and also for the look of it (dark brown and not much of it). Plus, my breasts have been sore for a week. But then today it became more than just spotting and it just seems to be my period after all, but even worse than usual, terrible cramps and very heavy. :sigh:

Just so I'm clear, that would pretty much count out implantation bleeding, right? From what I gather it should just be a little light spotting, if anything. I don't know what's going on with my cycle right now. Last month my period was 3 days late, now a whole week early. I never kept very close tabs on it before we started trying to concieve, but I always thought I was pretty regular in the past.

• Locked thread