Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SeventySeven posted:

Is the speed going to be dependent on my building's distance to a DSLAM?

Yes, according to my installer. He said this is also a factor on whether or not you can get "Turbo" at your location.

Loving having TV again, it's been a long while. It seems watching a HD broadcast drops my speedtest by about 5Mbit.

Lots of options in the modem for port forwarding etc so I don't think it's really an issue. My VPN worked no problem. I have my airport extreme hooked up to it and assigning its own DHCP to the stuff connected downstream to it, works just fine. Just make sure the downstream DHCP isn't assigning 192.168.x.x IPs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

priznat posted:

Yes, according to my installer. He said this is also a factor on whether or not you can get "Turbo" at your location.

Weird, I would've thought the sync rate would've been lower then, unless VDSL is radically different to ADSL, which is what I'm more familiar with. Oh well, I'll try power cycle everything and use ethernet to see if I can get any improvements.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Septimus posted:

In related news: WTF CRTC

Thank god the CRTC is fighting for me, the average consumer.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

I have my airport extreme hooked up to it and assigning its own DHCP to the stuff connected downstream to it, works just fine. Just make sure the downstream DHCP isn't assigning 192.168.x.x IPs!

Apparently putting your wireless router in the DMZ of the Actiontec is the best way to use your own device.

Going to try it now. It seems like power cycling the Actiontec makes it forget your port forwarding options. :argh: Also it switched itself back to WEP and a random passkey.

less than three fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 21, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Apparently putting your wireless router in the DMZ of the Actiontec is the best way to use your own device.

Hm! That'd also be interesting, let me know how that goes. I'll leave it as is for now but if I have any issues that'll be the first thing I do..

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Hm! That'd also be interesting, let me know how that goes. I'll leave it as is for now but if I have any issues that'll be the first thing I do..

Yeah. I connected my WNR3500 to a LAN port on the Actiontec, set it as the DMZ in Actiontec's settings. The Actiontec is working as just a modem now basically. I turned off the wireless and everything's running from my WNR3500 perfectly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Septimus posted:

In related news: WTF CRTC

That's a pretty overwrought headline for an article that says: "Media producer trade group wants to lobby the CRTC to turn around ten years of precedent for not regulating new media, and make Netflix contribute to the various Canadian TV/film production funds like the traditional broadcasters do."

It could happen, I guess, but that's a very speculative article.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

That's a pretty overwrought headline for an article that says: "Media producer trade group wants to lobby the CRTC to turn around ten years of precedent for not regulating new media, and make Netflix contribute to the various Canadian TV/film production funds like the traditional broadcasters do."

It could happen, I guess, but that's a very speculative article.

It's also written by someone who seems to agree it should happen. And it's very, very brief, covering none of the actual nuances of what should be covered about media distribution and the like. Instead things like "...and it's expensive. Streaming media was tacked onto my bill last month!" are discussed.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

An idiot too lazy to look up better rates.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I guess the Netflix thing is the CRTC's apologetic handjob to Big Broadcasting for being forced to review the whole UBB thing. I wouldn't blame Netflix if they just told this country to gently caress off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vergeh posted:

I guess the Netflix thing is the CRTC's apologetic handjob to Big Broadcasting for being forced to review the whole UBB thing. I wouldn't blame Netflix if they just told this country to gently caress off.

Agreed. The Canadian Government can be like that Simpsons episode where the town nickel and dimes the movie production until they're forced to leave. There are a LOT of businesses and industries that tried moving to Canada at some point, and then left a few years later because it wasn't economically feasible anymore. There are just some things you can't get here, and if you want it you have to import from somewhere else and pay through the nose for it.

The ironic thing is even though Canada is like that episode, we actually bend over backwards to get film companies to work up here. Everyone else though, pay up er git out!

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Martytoof posted:

Well, that's just loving terrifying, isn't it? Like we aren't geoblocked enough. Now we're going to LOSE our (lovely) Netflix? gently caress that.

Sad thing is, I still think that something like the CRTC is necessary, but it needs to exist because of broadcasters' rights to the public airwaves, and that has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Plus, the excuse is just custom-loving-designed to enrage consumers. "Too cheap"? gently caress YOU too cheap. Canadian broadcasters get literal rents thanks to loving simulcasting, and are the main reason why our country is a geoblocked shithole when it comes to decent online video. And now they're moaning about netflix?

This is going to end with the CRTC shut down, simulcasting ended, and Global/CTV left as nothing more than smoking craters.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
How much good has Canadian content regulations and simulcasting and all that poo poo even done for the average Canadian? Heck even Canadian artists and the like?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

madprocess posted:

How much good has Canadian content regulations and simulcasting and all that poo poo even done for the average Canadian? Heck even Canadian artists and the like?
It has given us Corner Gas. :suicide:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Armor-Piercing posted:

It has given us Corner Gas. :suicide:

And the sad thing is that Corner Gas is one of the better Canadian shows in recent memory. Canada is so desperate to have "stars" that stay in the country, that any idiot with even a micron of talent gets their own show. Endless repeats of horrible Just for Laughs poo poo, comedy specials with hacks who would be booed off the stage in any other country, Mike Bullard, Comedy Inc., hour-long dramas that try to mimic their US counterparts but still being canadian by mentioning hockey and universal health care as much as possible, and the worst of the worst, Royal Canadian Air Farce. Let's not even get started on our abysmal movie industry that turns out horrible, horrible stuff like Bon Cop, Bad Cop, and the latest "I'm a confused sexual deviant!" work from Atom Egoyan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is the Ron James show still around or is it too lovely for Canadian content even? Haven't heard any of the awful radio ads showcasing incredibly unfunny bits lately.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wouldn't be surprised if it's still on. Ron James though is another perfect example of someone with zero talent, and yet has stuck around forever and has somehow been elevated to the status of one of Canada's premier comedians. Rick Mercer has sort of become this way as well. He was pretty good back in his This Hour days, but after getting his own show and being held up as the Canadian Jon Stewart, he's really resting on his laurels and falling back on tired and predictable comedy. And speaking of This Hour, that show has gotten pretty rank as well. Once Mercer left, and then eventually Greg Thomey and Mary Walsh left, all the real talent of the show was gone. I don't see why Cathy Jones is still on the show; while she wasn't the best performer, she was leagues better than the hacks they have on now. What I wouldn't give to still see Mary Walsh doing more Marg Delahunty or Dakey Dunn, or Thomey's incompetent politician Jerry Boyle.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 21, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

Well, they need to protect you from services that are too cheap so you don't start to think that things need to be fairly priced. That would be damaging to the telecoms, after all, and cost them money they need for infrastructure improvements such as bandwidth monitoring systems.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Nomenklatura posted:

Plus, the excuse is just custom-loving-designed to enrage consumers. "Too cheap"? gently caress YOU too cheap. Canadian broadcasters get literal rents thanks to loving simulcasting, and are the main reason why our country is a geoblocked shithole when it comes to decent online video. And now they're moaning about netflix?
Geoblocking isn't the CRTC's fault, it's all depends on who owns the rights to that content in Canada. It's not unique to Canada either, it's a mess all over the world. Canadians just complain about it more because we're so close to America, and we want to see all of those precious Superbowl ads. It probably won't change for a long time too, the US networks are making a lot more money selling the rights for their shows to Canadian networks than they would by letting us watch on Hulu.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this new Netflix thing either, at least not yet. This sounds like it's just a hearing, and the CRTC hasn't shown much interest in the past in treating the internet like broadcast TV. Von Finckenstein may not understand how bandwidth works, but he at least seems to understand the Broadcasting Act:
link

quote:

Canuck TV watchdog resists calls for Netflix Canada to be brought into its regulatory orbit.
OTTAWA - Canada’s TV watchdog has come out against regulating Netflix as online broadcaster. “It’s not broadcasting, within the Broadcasting Act,” Konrad von Finckenstein, chairman of the CRTC, said ahead of an industry summit Friday to deal with Netflix's Canadian expansion.

Local film and TV execs looking to protect their industry’s chin against the U.S. video streaming giant want the CRTC to deem Netflix Canada an online broadcaster that must support Canadian production. But von Finckenstein pointed to a 2010 Canadian appeals court decision as grounds to conclude Netflix just distributes content online and plays no active role in the content.

That’s a definition that satisfies Netflix, which argues its Canadian streaming video subscription service “is an aggregator and a distributor of content,” streaming films and TV shows over the Internet, according to spokesman Steve Swasey. He adds Netflix Canada already benefits the Canadian industry by providing “an outstanding way for Canadian-produced content to reach a broader audience,” including indie Canadian films.

The CRTC’s von Finckenstein added legislative changes will be required before Netflix or other U.S. digital platforms spilling into the Canadian market could be considered online broadcasters.
The Canadian industry players gathered in Ottawa for an annual gathering of indie producers are hoping to convince the CRTC that, if Netflix isn’t an online broadcaster, it points to a new model for video distribution that needs to be brought into the local regulatory framework.
The point about how Netflix is actually helping the Canadian industry is a good one too. There's a lot of Canadian content on Netflix in the TV section, especially since the CBC seems to be the only network willing to work with them right now. Hell, Netflix is probably doing a better job of promoting Canadian productions than Global and CTV combined.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
CanCon worked (works?) relatively well with Canadian musicians; and I do think that our culture and artistic community would have been simply annihilated by the colossus to the south had there not been some kind of protection. Pretending otherwise is just delusional. It's like why American animation is practically dead; it's just straight-up cheaper to leech off of someone else's production. That's what would have happened here, and the CRTC was right to limit broadcasters' ability to do so.

But that's not the problem. The problem is that the broadcasters were given a loving job to do and didn't do it. The reason why they are allowed to simulcast is because they are supposed to use that money to bankroll decent Canadian productions. They don't. CTV used to and basically stopped, and Canwest/Global NEVER did. Were the CRTC not a textbook example of regulatory capture, they'd have had their licenses taken away ages ago, given to somebody else, and the country would have been better off for it. But that didn't happen, and it isn't because of our (actually quite good) artists; it's because of our bullshit, parochial, cliquish politicians.

Edit: No, it isn't just the superbowl ads. We have TERRIBLE broadcasters, airing TERRIBLE programming, and anything that might have been good about them (or at least limited) has been destroyed by the CRTC's modern-day tendency to completely abdicate its responsibility to enforce licenses. I don't think Global has aired anything original that wasn't a horseshit mill show in something like a decade; why the HELL do they still have broadcast or digital channel licenses?

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 21, 2011

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Oh, by the way...that Just For Laughs stuff is actually a major international cash cow. Makes truckloads of money. The shitball sitcoms I'll grant, but there's nobody better than us at standup or sketch comedy.

(That's what's baffling. Canadians are great comedians, as a rule. We should have excellent sitcoms, rivalling anything out of the U.S. It's not like it's a price thing, either, since sitcoms are cheap to produce. Yet they're pretty much crap, excepting Corner Gas, and even that was only really inventive during the first year or so.)

Edit: And I have no idea what the hell Bloody Hedgehog is on about with the film output. Canadian film is actually fairly good; often excellent. Atom Egoyan is internationally respected, "deviant" or no, and Cronenberg's Canadian work was arguably his best.

There's a line between getting annoyed at CanCon and indulging that peculiarly pathetic tendency Canadians have to denigrate what they make because it doesn't come from the U.S. or U.K. As I said, Canadian artists are excellent; Canadian broadcasting and telecommunication corporations are what is utter loving poo poo in this country.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 21, 2011

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Nomenklatura posted:

It's like why American animation is practically dead; it's just straight-up cheaper to leech off of someone else's production.

Er what do you mean by this? There's tons of American animated TV shows, what difference does shoving off the grunt work to cheap Korean animators make?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nomenklatura posted:

Edit: And I have no idea what the hell Bloody Hedgehog is on about with the film output. Canadian film is actually fairly good; often excellent. Atom Egoyan is internationally respected, "deviant" or no, and Cronenberg's Canadian work was arguably his best.

The Egoyan comment I actually meant about the characters in his films, not Egoyan himself. And while Canada certainly turns out great films, one or two over a decade does not make us a country great at filmmaking.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nomenklatura posted:

they are supposed to use that money to bankroll decent Canadian productions. They don't. CTV used to and basically stopped, and Canwest/Global NEVER did.
I came across this nifty list of Canadian television series trying to find a list of Global productions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English-language_Canadian_television_series

I do remember seeing the Global logo after some shows, but the only definite one being The Outer Limits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

teethgrinder posted:

I came across this nifty list of Canadian television series trying to find a list of Global productions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English-language_Canadian_television_series

I do remember seeing the Global logo after some shows, but the only definite one being The Outer Limits.

Following that link, and then onto a link about the Canadian Television fund, I found this interesting tidbit:

quote:

On July 20, 2007, Keith Mahar, a former manager at broadcaster CHUM Limited, submitted a report to the CRTC, entitled Profiteering in the Name of Culture, respecting the Canadian Television Fund [1]. The submission recommends a judicial review of alleged CRTC corruption related to the Fund which he contends has unjustly enriched cable companies. As per Mr. Mahar, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulations, cable and satellite television distributors in Canada are required to contribute 5% of their revenue to the fund, which the companies can pass on to their customers in the form of inflated rates service. Since such consumer costs are embedded in their fees for service, consumers are subject to pay the 5% levy plus P.S.T. and G.S.T. on the cost of the company subsidy program. A copy of the submission is posted on the CRTC public file. On February 7, 2008, Mahar issued a press release covered by Reuters [2] which was critical of Prime Minister Stephen Harper for his alleged failure to act on information respecting related activities by the CRTC and corporations in the affair.

So Shaw, and presumably all other telecommunications companies, were double dipping. Charging customers both tax, which goes to pay for the Television Fund, and a separate Television Fund Fee, buried in the other charges that customers pay. And then there was this little bit:

quote:

On December 20, 2006, Jim Shaw, CEO of Shaw Communications Inc. informed the Canadian Television Fund that he would be pulling approximately $56 million per year out of the fund. The move was later followed by Vidéotron (a subsidiary of Quebecor Inc.) who announced their plans to withdraw their contributions on January 23, 2007.2

So Shaw and Videotron are no longer contributing to the Television Fund. Who wants to guess if Shaw and Videotron are still hiding the Television Fund fee in the charges it levies against their customers?

Just another example of how big-business are nickel and diming people to death. With the way the common man is being taxed and charged to death, and the daily stories of north american governments curtailing social services, a lack of social justice, and freedoms being eroded, I would be very surprised if we didn't start seeing some of the social upheaval we're seeing in egypt in the middle east here in north america some time in the next 50 years. We're pretty apathetic about poo poo here in north america, but there's that small but growing sense that people are getting tired of being pushed around and are contemplating pushing back.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I wouldn't exactly call it a sitcom, but Trailer Park Boys is surprisingly well-written, very funny, and apparently popular south of the border.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, I unironically believe Trailer Park Boys was a fantastic show. People just assume it's idiotic because of the trashiness of it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't really want to turn this into TV chat, but Corus is another stellar example of what happens when our companies get too large and start loving things up. The demise of the original programming on WTN and YTV to name just two. "What, we got into debt to buy your channel? Guess we have to lay everyone off and cut making original programming, because that costs too much!"

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, I unironically believe Trailer Park Boys was a fantastic show. People just assume it's idiotic because of the trashiness of it.

Absolutely agreed - amazing show. I love how the actors did all promotion of it in character as well.

Last season blew though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chris Knight posted:

Don't really want to turn this into TV chat, but Corus is another stellar example of what happens when our companies get too large and start loving things up. The demise of the original programming on WTN and YTV to name just two. "What, we got into debt to buy your channel? Guess we have to lay everyone off and cut making original programming, because that costs too much!"

I was directly hosed over by Corus. I was working with an animation company here in Vancouver several years back, and they opened a studio in Toronto. They had cut a deal with Nelvana to be one of their top production houses, and the whole point of the Toronto studio was to be close to Nelvana. So I moved there, supervised the day-shift ink & paint artists for a few years. Then Corus buys up Nelvana, slashes their animation budget and schedule, and vis-a-vis leaves us with no work.

The studio slowly ground to a halt, and the last thing we ended up working on there was "Looney Tunes: Back in Action". Not exactly an auspicious way to close out a studio. Didn't help either that when I moved back to Vancouver, the Vancouver studio was now populated with an almost entirely new staff, most of which seemed to have a stick permanently wedged up their rear end. I got out of that sad-sack factory right quick.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Telus just finished their install. I've got the actual STB sitting in the corner not hooked up to anything now, and my own XBox 360 doing the actual watching ($5/month to avoid having ANOTHER box in the entertainment stand was worth it to me). Eventually I'll connect the real STB to a monitor when I get my home gym setup.

5 Mbps faster than Shaw down, and almost twice the upstream. Picture quality is great as well. I've never had a DVR before, so I can't comment on how it works yet. The installer and his trainee were a great guys, knew what they were doing, and even did a real nice job of putting some holes in my wall so I don't need to run cables through the doorway. They said it could be 3-6 hours for an install, but because my condo building was already wired up, they were in and out in 45 minutes. They asked if I was sure I didn't want a contract, and I told them I was holding off because I had the old TelusTV service a while back. One guy laughed and said that I'd be welcome to sign up later once I saw that the new system actually works.

I guess they've been really busy lately, and joked around a bit about how they probably owe a cut of their business to the Shaw CEO's testimony a few weeks ago.

Edit: I did notice that my ping times are much higher on speedtest.net, but a quick jump onto live seems to be no noticeable difference.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Looks like people are waking up.

This dude is pretty spot-on:

quote:

"The CRTC has been told BY CONSUMERS in no uncertain terms what needs to be done. Stop catering and making decisions in favor of Big Business (Bell & Rogers) and start looking after the interests of Consumers, such as your mandate states. If required, dissolve the CRTC completely as they seem to be useless in protecting the interests of Citizens and Consumers."

However this rear end in a top hat doesn't seem to know poo poo about how bandwidth works:

quote:

"Failing a political solution that makes content hoarding pointless," his letter concludes, "we need to either build out bandwidth faster than the increase in consumption (which may be impossible), or throttle it in some way that allows all citizens to have reliable access to basic services. Doing so via UBB seems reasonable."

:psyduck:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Parachute Underwear posted:

However this rear end in a top hat doesn't seem to know poo poo about how bandwidth works:

:psyduck:

Without throttling, Bell will run out of gigabytes and we'll be reduced to radio as the only form of media. Do you really want radio as the only way to get the dirt on Hollywood Celebs????

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Vergeh posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it a sitcom, but Trailer Park Boys is surprisingly well-written, very funny, and apparently popular south of the border.
I thought it wore out its welcome, but for the first while TPB was goddamned brilliant.

As for that animation thing...no, there isn't. Unless something's changed a LOT since the last time I checked, original American television animation (as opposed to, say, dubbed Japanese imports) have dropped like a stone. It's not complete, of course, but the decline from the heyday of even the 1990s shows what can happen when entire industries are built around little more than leeching off of another country's economies of scale.

(Not THAT relevant, of course, except for pointing out that the CRTC is necessary to balance out the horror that is simulcasting.)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was directly hosed over by Corus. I was working with an animation company here in Vancouver several years back, and they opened a studio in Toronto. They had cut a deal with Nelvana to be one of their top production houses, and the whole point of the Toronto studio was to be close to Nelvana. So I moved there, supervised the day-shift ink & paint artists for a few years. Then Corus buys up Nelvana, slashes their animation budget and schedule, and vis-a-vis leaves us with no work.

The studio slowly ground to a halt, and the last thing we ended up working on there was "Looney Tunes: Back in Action". Not exactly an auspicious way to close out a studio. Didn't help either that when I moved back to Vancouver, the Vancouver studio was now populated with an almost entirely new staff, most of which seemed to have a stick permanently wedged up their rear end. I got out of that sad-sack factory right quick.
Well, at least you have a damned good REASON to despise Canadian media production. :(

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 22, 2011

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

PhancyPants posted:

Telus just finished their install.

Edit: I did notice that my ping times are much higher on speedtest.net, but a quick jump onto live seems to be no noticeable difference.

Follow up to my Telus install: I plugged my computer directly in to the router and my speeds basically doubled from 6Mbit to about 13Mbit. So I guess the wireless on the Actiontec router is kind of poo poo. Either that or I could try change the channel or something, because my building is saturated with wireless signals (downtown :w00t:). It's not a huge deal because I was planning on running ethernet to everywhere it was needed anyway and for $15/month I can't bitch too much.

Also I'm glad you're reporting a lovely ping on speedtest.net too. I noticed mine was about 150ms which I thought was terrible.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
On TWIT's Triangulation this week, the CEO of sonic.net came on to talk about broadband. Boy did I become jealous of the gigabit talk. Fair warning: This is quite technical. I didn't understand a lot of it, but there are some things to be taken away that can be applied to our situation.

http://twit.tv/tri5

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Author and technology journalist Peter Nowak put up a really good blog post today about the myths from UBB supporters. A good primer to anyone still beating the "fairness" drum without understanding the issue.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Nomenklatura posted:

As for that animation thing...no, there isn't. Unless something's changed a LOT since the last time I checked, original American television animation (as opposed to, say, dubbed Japanese imports) have dropped like a stone. It's not complete, of course, but the decline from the heyday of even the 1990s shows what can happen when entire industries are built around little more than leeching off of another country's economies of scale.

Well all I can say is when my son's watching TV it's about the same mixture of mostly American and Japanese shows with a few from France or Canada as there was when I was young not too long ago. Really what's changed is that instead of heavily obscuring the origins and renaming all sorts of aspects of Japanese cartoons like they did in the 80s (when there sure were a lot of Japanese shows on, Voltron anyone?).

Heck, even in my dad's day, you had a lot of Japanese animation shows like Speed Racer, Gigantor, Marine Boy etc on the old Saturday morning cartoon broadcasts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know why you Canadians are complaining about your dearth of home grown TV shows, you have How It's Made! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

SeventySeven posted:

Follow up to my Telus install: I plugged my computer directly in to the router and my speeds basically doubled from 6Mbit to about 13Mbit. So I guess the wireless on the Actiontec router is kind of poo poo. Either that or I could try change the channel or something, because my building is saturated with wireless signals (downtown :w00t:). It's not a huge deal because I was planning on running ethernet to everywhere it was needed anyway and for $15/month I can't bitch too much.

Also I'm glad you're reporting a lovely ping on speedtest.net too. I noticed mine was about 150ms which I thought was terrible.

I've got my Apple Airport handing out the wireless in my building (Yay for wireless N!) and got much better speeds. The high ping is still weird to me though. I'll run a traceroute later to that server and see what's up. Telus' routes might just be completely out to lunch.