Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

My contract says I cant use wifi tethering, I bought the phone with no sim so there is no network software crap on it, is there any way they can see if you use wifi tethering without their software on your phone?
They could filter user agents but I've only heard of T-Mobile US doing that (are they still doing that?). They might also notice if you start transferring 2GB of data a day, but for the most part I'd say you're in the clear with regards to light tethering.

Solly posted:

I think I may have fixed my problem with android system going rouge and using 100% cpu, I've reflashed and re-partitioned my sd card. Previously the sd card had a swap partition which I could not get rid of until now, I have a feeling that oxygen was somehow trying to use the swap unsuccessfully since its not really coded to do that (afaik) and this was causing android sys file to go nuts. Is this possible or am I just talking crap?
Well if it's not constantly pegged now and it was then, I'd say whatever it was you fixed it so good job. It's just a fact of rooted life that sometimes you're going to start over from scratch because something was wrong or something was right but annoying--feels good in that interim where you've fixed the problem/annoyance but haven't discovered the next problem/annoyance though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zosologist posted:

Mostly what I'm looking for is a 2.2+ rom or just the ability to run flash.
The T-Mobile Vibrant has had an optional, but official Froyo update since the beginning of January. You install it through Mini Kies. A 2.2 ROM is another good option (sorry, I have no recommendations) but if your friend just wants Froyo the official update might be worth trying first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solly posted:

My contract says I cant use wifi tethering, I bought the phone with no sim so there is no network software crap on it, is there any way they can see if you use wifi tethering without their software on your phone?
Wireless providers can always do deep packet inspection to figure out which applications/protocols you're tethering with. As mentioned, T-Mobile US has already done this by inspecting HTTP user-agent strings to figure out if folks are using a "desktop" web browser, where they put up pay walls for their $15/mo tethering plan. Similarly, if you use Steam, or tether for network gaming, or any other obvious non-mobile application, then yeah, they could find out.

That said, nobody knows how many wireless providers actually do DPI. T-Mobile US is the first confirmed instance I'm aware of. On the other hand, I've not heard of anyone being "punished" for tethering on a non-tethering plan either. So, quite likely, as long as your bandwidth consumption is within reason, it will never come up as an issue.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A 2.2 ROM is another good option (sorry, I have no recommendations)
Team Whiskey is the CyanogenMod of the Vibrant world. I've been using them since the official 2.2 ROM came out, and have been happy with my battery life and stability.

They do use voodoo (magic poo poo to upgrade the crappy file system), so heed their warnings about if you switch to a non-voodoo compatible ROM (say the official one).

Puddles
Nov 25, 2005
HAI ^^
e: nevermind, flashed it a third time on Odin and finally got it to stock!

Puddles fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 21, 2011

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Quick question- do I need to do a wipe before flashing a new kernel? I just starting MIUI and its great but sometimes when I hit the power button the screen doesn't wake up so I'm trying a new kernel...does that even make sense?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
What kind of a phone are you using? I've had that happen to me on my T-Mobile G2 occasionally when I overclock it really high (Think 1.3GHz+) and use the fancy screen-off/screen-on animation in Cyanogenmod 7. If you are overclocking, try backing the clock speed down a bit or using a conservative governor.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Oh right...I have an EVO, and I'm not overclocking at all, I don't think. Although there was a kernel included with MIUI when I flashed it (since its AOSP based and I was coming from sense)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

helsabot posted:

Quick question- do I need to do a wipe before flashing a new kernel? I just starting MIUI and its great but sometimes when I hit the power button the screen doesn't wake up so I'm trying a new kernel...does that even make sense?

Absolutely do NOT wipe data before flashing a kernel. Some people advocate wiping cache or even just dalvik-cache, though.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm using Virtuous on my DZ (v0.9.5+changes in 1.0) and really like the trackpad wake/unlock however the unlock part is a bit annoying as the trackpad will be pressed in my pocket and unlock the phone.

I'm assuming this is built in to the kernel, is there a way to just have the trackpad wake the phone and not unlock it?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have an OG Droid, and I didn't do all my research before flashing CyanogenMod. Now I have 6.1.2, but no Market/Gmail.

I found a link for gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip which should have fixed it, but it didn't. I flashed it twice for good measure, but still no Market.

Help, I need my Market/Gmail apps. :(

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Note the 'gb' in the file name, they're the Gapps for Gingerbread. Get these instead :)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Well, it looks like someone is publishing a one click root for the Inspire today. The comments in the thread are kind of sad tgough, it is a bunch of nerds putting the lot of pressure on the guy to stay up late and do poo poo for them. Is XDA always like that?

I have a 32 gb sd card on the way and I am unsure if I should wait to root. Does the card i have in the phone at the time matter?

One more question, the only click root is going to support something called Clockwork, do I need to use titanium backup if this is the case?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is XDA always like that?
There's a reason why I only go to XDA when I'm looking for something specific instead of following active discussions.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is XDA always like that?

XDA is a cesspool and it's unfortunate that a lot of development happens there. It wasn't always like that though. Back in the WinMo 5/6 days it was a pretty mature community that stayed self moderated for the most part. It really started to go down hill when Android got more mainstream.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Hi, I'm coming in with sort of an after action report, and I'm just wondering what step I did wrong. I'll preface this with I'm an idiot, and I was only rooting (or trying to) because I wanted something to do. And wireless tethering would be awesome.

I started with the unrevoked3 method. I downloaded the usb drivers, installed them, and then rooted. This is where I messed up. I accidentally hit factory reset instead of booting from there. At this point I was working at a very high level of anger. I flashed CM6. Here is where things got screwy. I used rom manager, and the installed clockworkrecovery mod. That thing didnt work. I was able to initially flash the CM rom with it, but after that, it would not flash anything else. CM6 worked wonderfully and I loved it for the ten minutes I had it, but I forgot to flash the google apps rom with it. I figured, no biggy, I'll just reflash. Except it wouldn't. It wouldnt reflash anything. I couldn't recover to anything. I was at a loss, because my phone was kind of dead in the water without the market.

I unrooted with some HTC Sync method posted by a guy on droidforums. It worked, but I got a nice factory reset out of it.

So yes, I am an idiot. I'll get that out of the way. I also was learning what I was doing as I went, another mistake. But is the error ("Clockwork recovery unable to flash recovery) or something like that common? Also, when I booted into recovery to try to do it myself, any option I selected on the recovery menu would do nothing except show the CRM image. And just sit.

I may try it again, but I am content enough with redownloading all my apps today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

terrorist posted:

Hi, I'm coming in with sort of an after action report, and I'm just wondering what step I did wrong. I'll preface this with I'm an idiot, and I was only rooting (or trying to) because I wanted something to do. And wireless tethering would be awesome.

I started with the unrevoked3 method. I downloaded the usb drivers, installed them, and then rooted. This is where I messed up. I accidentally hit factory reset instead of booting from there. At this point I was working at a very high level of anger. I flashed CM6. Here is where things got screwy. I used rom manager, and the installed clockworkrecovery mod. That thing didnt work. I was able to initially flash the CM rom with it, but after that, it would not flash anything else. CM6 worked wonderfully and I loved it for the ten minutes I had it, but I forgot to flash the google apps rom with it. I figured, no biggy, I'll just reflash. Except it wouldn't. It wouldnt reflash anything. I couldn't recover to anything. I was at a loss, because my phone was kind of dead in the water without the market.

I unrooted with some HTC Sync method posted by a guy on droidforums. It worked, but I got a nice factory reset out of it.

So yes, I am an idiot. I'll get that out of the way. I also was learning what I was doing as I went, another mistake. But is the error ("Clockwork recovery unable to flash recovery) or something like that common? Also, when I booted into recovery to try to do it myself, any option I selected on the recovery menu would do nothing except show the CRM image. And just sit.

I may try it again, but I am content enough with redownloading all my apps today.
What phone are you using? Evo? (Guessing since you're using Unrevoked.)

If you're back to factory, why not just follow whatever guide you're using and try selecting the correct options this time?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

There's a reason why I only go to XDA when I'm looking for something specific instead of following active discussions.

It's really not that bad as long as you understand two things:

1) Don't go into random ROM threads
2) Limit yourself to the OP of a thread unless you have specific reasons to otherwise.

Using this, I've managed to get a lot of awesome poo poo out of XDA.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For Evo owners, it looks like the CM7 GPS bug may finally be fixed tonight when the next round of nightlies build: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_supersonic/commit/3e7a05bd140ef4aca6c3a93896cea28cbad2d75f

These two relevant commits also came in yesterday and are in the current nightly:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/commit/8cc696bfcd797c60c1828ae282a477055c62c12f
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_gps/commit/9acf199fb8a77aed22df843f0e1193953d2893cd

Shinzul's also saying that WiMax will be merged in to the nightlies soon, so if the GPS bug is truly gone we should have everything but HDMI working for Final.

FlugelNull
Oct 30, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a rooted HTC legend, running CM7 nightlies. Any other roms I should be looking at right now? I'm just interested...

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

wolrah posted:

For Evo owners, it looks like the CM7 GPS bug may finally be fixed tonight when the next round of nightlies build

Nice! Looks like I'll finally be taking the CM7 plunge tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

MrBishi posted:

Note the 'gb' in the file name, they're the Gapps for Gingerbread. Get these instead :)

Thanks, this worked for me.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I rooted my Droid (1) last summer sometime, and installed "Sapphire-1.0.0-Droid w/928 Droid Black Glass 2.2", according to my settings menu's "Mod/ROM Version" section. (Kernel version is 2.6.32.9-sapphire audicken@helium #1, apparently)

I figured it was time to update ye olde rom, so I downloaded Titanium Backup, ran that, and updated Rom Manager. (I splurged on the premium version of Rom Manager to make things easier on me, or so I thought.)

I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery through Rom Manager as suggested, downloaded a new rom (figured I'd try Cyanogen this time), went through the download, checked "Backup Existing Rom" and "Wipe Data and Cache", hit "OK", and then... nothing. The phone rebooted right back into my old rom.

What else do I need to do here? Am I missing a step somehow? Do I need to help it reboot into recovery by holding X on the keyboard or something?

Edit: Holding X like a boss, still nothing.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 22, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah, hold X.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wylie posted:

What else do I need to do here? Am I missing a step somehow? Do I need to help it reboot into recovery by holding X on the keyboard or something?

I've done a couple of original Droids and clockwork isn't very reliable on them. Try telling Rom Manager to flash it a couple of times, then reboot into recovery.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

If anyone with a Nook Color is tired of having to boot clockwork 3.0.0.6 from their SD card, there is a flashable zip floating around that puts it on eMMC.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11494614&postcount=179

This is the new CWR that supports EXT4 (needed for CM7 and also the 2nd Edition of samuelhalff's HoneyComb ROM)

Note: This zip also replaces your boot loader (u-boot.bin) with the normal, stock one. If you've been flashing a bunch of random zips from XDA it's possible your stock boot loader was replaced since people are lazy as hell about making zips for the NC. It's probably better to have the stock one anyway.

If you have Rom manager, it will likely report that your CWR is still the old version (3.0.0.5) but if you actually boot into recovery it is 3.0.0.6.

Theoretically if you flash this recovery you can then use Rom manager to downlaod and install the CM7 encore nightlies. I haven't tried it because I don't use ROM manager.

If you want to keep your stock Barnes and Noble Eclair ROM easily accessible on backup you may not want to flash this, because as it stands right now you'll have to reflash the old recovery to restore it correctly as far as I know.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Hello, 'droid thread, first time phone modder here.

I've got an LG Optimus S, and I want to know what kind of options are out there for this particular handset. I already looked up CyanogenMod and it doesn't support it, save for a specialized version of it done by some independent coders. Anyone have any experience with this, know if it's any good?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
My G2 has always been a good phone, but from stock 2.2, to CM6, to MIUI to Virtuous, I never had great battery life - I'd always be down to 20 - 30% by the time I went to bed (around 10 - 11) and I'd plug my phone back in.

With CM7 (build 40 before the reset), I'm above 50% by the same mark. Yesterday, it was over 60%. This isn't ignoring it, either, I watched 40 minutes of video with rockplayer, and I goof with it on and off all day. Anyway, whatever magic they sprinkled on that ROM is working. I can't wait for the rest of the ROM's to make the jump to 2.3.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

My G2 has always been a good phone, but from stock 2.2, to CM6, to MIUI to Virtuous, I never had great battery life - I'd always be down to 20 - 30% by the time I went to bed (around 10 - 11) and I'd plug my phone back in.

With CM7 (build 40 before the reset), I'm above 50% by the same mark. Yesterday, it was over 60%. This isn't ignoring it, either, I watched 40 minutes of video with rockplayer, and I goof with it on and off all day. Anyway, whatever magic they sprinkled on that ROM is working. I can't wait for the rest of the ROM's to make the jump to 2.3.

I'm normally at 11hrs and getting notified about my G2's life warning. I'm on CM7R1 right now.. Think I'll give #4 a shot. Are you using the CM kernel, or the pershot one listed in ROM Manager?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

deong posted:

I'm normally at 11hrs and getting notified about my G2's life warning. I'm on CM7R1 right now.. Think I'll give #4 a shot. Are you using the CM kernel, or the pershot one listed in ROM Manager?

Using stock CM kernel. I used to use pershoot's when I was playing with 2.2 rom's, but the stock one is working great for me now, and I'm leaving it at stock settings.

I feel like I have the perfect card house set up right now, with functional wifi and gps and I don't want to breathe on it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

What's "build 40 before the reset"? I'm often down to 30% before bed and figured that was just normal in general for Android phones. (bought my G2 already rooted with a Cyanogen nightly from Feb 16th)

I was just going to wait for the stable release of CM7 before flashing. (edit: and any tips you have for a new G2 owner and Cyanogen user such as myself would be awesome :) e.g. launchers, etc, I got sick of ADW so I installed Zeam at a recommendation but not sure what else is good/great out there)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 22, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

What's "build 40 before the reset"? I'm often down to 30% before bed and figured that was just normal in general for Android phones. (bought my G2 already rooted with a Cyanogen nightly from Feb 16th)

I was just going to wait for the stable release of CM7 before flashing.

The CM nightlies are numbered sequentially - if you look at the current nightlies, they're numbered Build #1 (2-19-2011), Build #2 (2-20-2011), Build #3 (2-21-2011). Before they were reset back to 1 again, they made it up to the 40-somethings. I'm using one from 2/17/2011. I wouldn't recommend that you try to go back and run an older one, as they should theoretically be fixing bugs and the latest may (or may not be) the best for you.

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=vision

Besides that, we may have different usage patterns, and you're just running your phone harder than I do to get it down to 30%. But compared to the 2.2 roms I was running before, I'm definitely getting better battery life from 2.3.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Is CM& pretty much functional for G2's? I don't want to be without GPS and wifi, but if it's working i'll throw it on mine tonight.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I haven't come across something that hasn't worked yet. The only complaint I have is that occasionally my phone will spontaneously reboot when the screen shut-off animation fires at the same time as an orientation change. (hey I don't care if that effect isn't nearly as convincing on an LCD as it is on an OLED, I still love it)

GPS, Wifi, HSPA+, everything works just fine, zero problems.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've done a couple of original Droids and clockwork isn't very reliable on them. Try telling Rom Manager to flash it a couple of times, then reboot into recovery.

What seems to have worked (it's in the process right now) is to flash the alternate recovery, then immediately re-flash clockwork. Droidforums says that it should only take 3-4 seconds for Clockwork to flash- if it takes longer than that, it didn't work. I did that a couple of times, and the second time flashing Clockwork only took a couple of seconds. Rebooted into recovery (didn't have to hold X), and it's running backups now, apparently in preparation for the wipe/install rom sequence. We'll see how it goes.

Fake edit: operation is a success. Thanks for the help.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
After forever, finally bit the bullet and rooted my Droid X and put RubixFocused 1.9.7 on it.

Holy. poo poo.

This is exactly how the phone should have come out of the box. WORKING. Exchange email finally works correctly. No more lock ups throughout the day. No more random reboots. Nothing. Just stable, working, and devoid of MotoBlur. Every SINGLE ISSUE I've had with my phone seems to have been solved, and I've only been using this ROM for a week.

Never going back.

Edit: Now that I'm rooted which app is the best for taking screenshots?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TurboLuvah posted:

Edit: Now that I'm rooted which app is the best for taking screenshots?

I just use screenshot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LiquidRain posted:

I haven't come across something that hasn't worked yet. The only complaint I have is that occasionally my phone will spontaneously reboot when the screen shut-off animation fires at the same time as an orientation change. (hey I don't care if that effect isn't nearly as convincing on an LCD as it is on an OLED, I still love it)

GPS, Wifi, HSPA+, everything works just fine, zero problems.

Awesome, I'll toss it on there tonight. Thanks for the info.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

kombatMedik posted:

Is CM& pretty much functional for G2's? I don't want to be without GPS and wifi, but if it's working i'll throw it on mine tonight.

Like LiquidRain, I have a random reboot now and again.. but it hasn't been a big enough issue to bother finding out if its the same thing. Cm7 works w/o a hitch on my G2.. no complaints. I don't even notice any real bug fixes, just features.

I love the gesture auto response in the stock SMS now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I'm still getting the android system file going at 100% occasionally even after reinstalling oxygen. I have a feeling its dolphin mini that's causing the problems, it never seems to stop running on its own, but I don't see how it could send the sys file nuts. I've uninstalled it and I'll see how out goes. Are there any other good froyo roms out for the desire, I'd give miui another go maybe but it was unstable as hell and had some really annoying anti features last time I tried it. Ideally what I want is stock but with a2sd, but there don't seem to be any roms like that