Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

Are those official pieces? Can you sell non-official stuff on BrickLink?

No, he makes them himself, and yes, you apparently can sell unofficial parts on Bricklink. They only seem to allow a few types, like custom chroming and custom hair pieces. They won't show up when doing a normal search, though. Like, if I look up "all chrome silver pieces for sale" I won't see the custom ones. You have to know about his store and browse it that way, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Flavor Bear posted:

Are those official pieces? Can you sell non-official stuff on BrickLink?

They are pretty high quality too. While I was there I had to order a plated trophy, among other things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Does anybody here own that giant medievel chess set? I saw it yesterday and it blew my mind.

I came awfully close to buying it back in early 2008 when it was at the Orlando LEGO store for $200...really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. It's the only set of fantasy castle I don't own :(

It's pretty awesome...don't know if it's as awesome as the $500-$700 pricetag it has on ebay though.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
God I am so close to scraping together enough cash to finally get Medieval Market Village. I'm goin' nuts.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

God I am so close to scraping together enough cash to finally get Medieval Market Village. I'm goin' nuts.

It's worth every scraped penny.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

I'd do it soon. That thing came out in January '09. It may not have too much longer.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I'd do it soon. That thing came out in January '09. It may not have too much longer.

I know, that's why I'm going so nuts about it.
So long as it is not discontinued and have the stock run out before Monday, I'll be fine.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I know most of us view TBB, but I wanted to post this here anyway.

Bear in mind that this thing is like 7 feet long.

Here is the MOCPages link. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough good pictures of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh lordy look at his other stuff too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh lordy look at his other stuff too.

So, high swooshability on that one, then?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Here is the MOCPages link. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough good pictures of it.

The thing about that is that while it's an absolutely mindblowing build, I get the feeling those pieces are under so much tension that the whole thing would probably just explode if you blew on it gently.

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
I wish...
I'd love to get that, but spending $800 + postage would probably send the missus into heart failure.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Hey legoons, don't know if this has been already posted but, I found a new coupon code for Barnes and Noble's online toy shop which includes their LEGO section. The code is "N7K9R7V" and it will give you 30% off any set(or any Barnes and Noble toy for that matter) that says Barnes and Noble's Kids Club on it. You don't have to be a member of Barnes to use it and I think it only works on one item per purchase.

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 19, 2011

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
I was searching for old Lego magazine scans and I ran across this classic:

The magazine had some stupid ideas but this one was always cool to me.

Quantum Koala
Apr 21, 2010

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
I took a day trip into Brisbane today and dropped by the Gallery of Modern Art and there is a installation that might interest you.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Enter for free, build all day, go home, rinse and repeat.
Also the pictures were taken about half way down the table, it is a truly massive project.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Quantum Koala posted:

I took a day trip into Brisbane today and dropped by the Gallery of Modern Art and there is a installation that might interest you.

Welp, guess I'll have to build me some of those Space Invaders.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

By all means post anything from TBB you feel is worth posting, because I'm sure there are also a lot of folks who DON'T read it(me being one of them because I always forget it exists).

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
A little info update on that Maersk Train 10219 set.

http://www.byggepladen.dk/oirae7ntv10219.asp < According to here its due out Beginning of April with a price of $119 USD.

Some detailed photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/72157626085314780/

This set makes me drool.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is that going to come with track and whatever-makes-trains-go?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Is that going to come with track and whatever-makes-trains-go?

Nope, just like Emerald Night, it comes with no track or PF parts. Personally I don't mind, because I have enough already and they're expensive.

e: I meant to point this out earlier, but i was looking at pics of the new Cars sets, and I couldn't help but notice it appears we have a new color:

I don't know any of the character names, but does that Jeep look olive green to you guys? Maybe it's the coloration of the picture itself, but those other cars look too light for normal Lego sand green, too. Not to mention the bunch of new parts we're getting.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 19, 2011

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Nope, just like Emerald Night, it comes with no track or PF parts. Personally I don't mind, because I have enough already and they're expensive.

e: I meant to point this out earlier, but i was looking at pics of the new Cars sets, and I couldn't help but notice it appears we have a new color:

I don't know any of the character names, but does that Jeep look olive green to you guys? Maybe it's the coloration of the picture itself, but those other cars look too light for normal Lego sand green, too. Not to mention the bunch of new parts we're getting.

That is actually a cool looking set if you don't use the stickers. (Those had better be stickers.)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What's the best way to get the PF parts and tracks and stuff?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

What's the best way to get the PF parts and tracks and stuff?

There is no good way to get track, as far as I am concerned. The track expansion sets force you to get curved and straight track, but nobody really wants curved track. If you buy one train set, you basically have all the curves you need. Straight sections just aren't cheap no matter which way you go. I might try tag sales to get some of the old 9v stuff. You might get lucky, and it's compatible with the new plastic track.

As for the PF stuff, the new train motor and AAA battery box aren't on Lego.com yet, at least in the US, but they should be soon, particularly with this new train coming out. Lego sells all of its PF components individually online.

So Lego showed off the new Maersk train at a show, which is why the official announcement has now been made. Some of the people there caught photos of another train on Lego's layout.

Is this to be our next set? Or is it just a prototype they had kicking around? Notice the red battery pack on the engine and the dark bley train rails on the flat car.

It also has a hopper car made out of the same pieces in the new Rocket launch set (the part that looks like the cement mixer drum but I don't think it is) and a coal loading tower with a conveyor belt.

It definitely doesn't looks like a MOC to me. It has "official Lego construction techniques" written all over it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=462368

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

That is actually a cool looking set if you don't use the stickers. (Those had better be stickers.)
According to Brickset, they're printed.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I got Portal of Atlantis for $40 today. That makes my second one... I guess I'm just destined to have a ton of Atlantis guys.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

InfinEight posted:

I got Portal of Atlantis for $40 today. That makes my second one... I guess I'm just destined to have a ton of Atlantis guys.

I don't fault you. The Atlantis creatures are cool as poo poo. I picked up 2 of those Portal sets for half-price at Walmart just so I could have the cool sand-green colored guys and some extra squid king dudes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it just me or does anyone else out there think the transparent yellow parts on the new Atlantis figures just clash horribly compared to the transparent neon green they used to have?

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

InfinEight posted:

Where do you find them for so cheap?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Saradiart posted:

Where do you find them for so cheap?

I got both of them at Fred Meyer/Smith's, and this one was just particularly lucky since it was the only Lego set I saw on clearance. The first one was $55-$60 I think, and it was a combination of a sale and an instore coupon or something. This one has a clearance sticker on it marking it down to $80. I wouldn't have bought it for that, but there was a sign that said all clearance stuff was an additional 50% off.

I think the best way to find deals at retail stores is just to browse at least once a week. I've managed to get in on a lot of sales that way.

SynthOrange posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else out there think the transparent yellow parts on the new Atlantis figures just clash horribly compared to the transparent neon green they used to have?

I agree in a way, I'm not crazy about red and yellow combos. But in a weird way, the yellow feels more deep-sea-ish than the green. That may just be me though.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 20, 2011

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I have come to you tonight to talk to you about a lesser-appreciated part of Lego history: Modulex. I did a history post on the Lego-Maersk relationship recently, so I figured I'd do another one.

Godtfred Kirk Christiansen, son of Ole Kirk Chrinstiansen, founder of Lego, wanted to develop a brick system better suited to architectural modeling than normal Lego bricks. The result was Modulex, a Lego inspired bricks system about 5/8 the size of normal Lego elements.

These were marketed towards architects, primarily in Europe, with lackluster results. Nonetheless, many kits of Modulex bricks were produced throughout the 1960s.

There have been fans of Modulex since its inception, but only recently has Modulex come into the mainstream consciousness of AFOLs. In the last year or so, Bricklink was finally gotten together a proper catalog of Modulex parts. So, why bother to tell you all this? Well, Modulex is intersting to me for two major reasons. First, it introduced parts never seen in Lego but, I think you'll agree, would be pretty awesome to have.

Second, it used a completely different color palette.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp (Scroll to the bottom to see the Modulex colors.) Many of these colors have never made it into the Lego palette, even though they are pretty awesome.

People still make Modulex MOCs. The trick is you need a lot of parts to do it.

Still, people do pretty awesome things.

So, can you combine Lego and Modulex? Hell yes you can. The ratio is such that there are a few intersections between Modulex and System bricks. For example, a Modulex brick could be slotted into the gaps in a 1x2 grill tile. A whole world of greebles can be opened up through Modulex.

Whatever happened to Modulex, you may ask? Well, as a subset of Lego it wasn't successful, but it still survives today as a maker of architectual signage.

http://www.modulex.com/

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Whatever happened to Modulex, you may ask? Well, as a subset of Lego it wasn't successful, but it still survives today as a maker of architectual signage.

http://www.modulex.com/

Interesting stuff!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Just ordered the MMV. Cue music montage set to Tom Petty's "The Waiting."

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I'm moving to New Zealand from Australia and didn't particularly like the idea of deconstructing my UCS Millennium Falcon.

Solution?
iMac box + beanbag beans.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

It's Future Me's problem now!

I did the same for my modular buildings.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I didn't have to deal with something quite so big but when we moved we probably spent a good half an hour removing wings from space fighters, rigging from tallships and radio antenna from transport trucks so we could pack them all in a box that I think was originally used to ship a golf bag or something.

Good times.

EDIT: also, I'm pretty pissed with myself that I never bothered to get a UCS Falcon back in the day before my life went to hell. It was on my wishlist list after our Paris trip but when everything went to poo poo a year ago I forgot about it. Now that my life's finally stopped falling apart I see that the thing is going for closer to a grand on Bricklink, I think I'm not going to bother.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 21, 2011

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: also, I'm pretty pissed with myself that I never bothered to get a UCS Falcon back in the day before my life went to hell. It was on my wishlist list after our Paris trip but when everything went to poo poo a year ago I forgot about it. Now that my life's finally stopped falling apart I see that the thing is going for closer to a grand on Bricklink, I think I'm not going to bother.

I picked it up for ~$800USD (inc. shipping) back when the Aus. buck was lovely, so I probably paid about that. If it makes you feel better, the new Midi coming out looks great and has an interior!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Friend and fellow PennLUG member Chris has just finished his latest work of awesomeness, "War Machines Strike" so I figured I'd share it here.

Click here for the full 1024x692 image.

Set.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Friend and fellow PennLUG member Chris has just finished his latest work of awesomeness, "War Machines Strike" so I figured I'd share it here.

Click here for the full 1024x692 image.

Set.

That's pretty fuckin cool. I really can't pick just one thing I liked. From using that big grey wing to make a building facade, to all the SNOT in the random text, to the random chaos going on, it's just great.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flickr

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
That's loving glorious.

Here's a cool JP one:

I love the dying victim :lol:

Final Gloom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 21, 2011

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
Shoot her!!! shoooot heeeeer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Final Gloom posted:

Here's a cool JP one:

I love the dying victim :lol:

I think I've actually seen that moc. There's so much more to it if it is... I'll try and dig up the photos I took to see if it is the same one.