Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Dr. Goonstein posted:

For those who don't know, Chase and Status's new album just dropped. If you are into a little hip-hop, you will undoubtedly like it. Almost all of the songs have guest singers. True Faith is really popular on Radio 1 right now I'm pretty sure, but I can't stand it. It's probably my least favorite track on the album.

It's far from strictly drum and bass though. There are dubstep elements, and some hip hop and rap thrown in.
It's hardly a drum & bass album at all really - I seem to recall there only being three dnb tunes on it. It's essentially mainstream dubstep with a hip-hop influence. On the dnb side of things though No Problem is pretty big, as mentioned earlier, though I'm not really a fan of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

HJB posted:

It's hardly a drum & bass album at all really - I seem to recall there only being three dnb tunes on it. It's essentially mainstream dubstep with a hip-hop influence. On the dnb side of things though No Problem is pretty big, as mentioned earlier, though I'm not really a fan of it.

There are a handful of drum and bass tracks on the album, but you are mostly right. My favorite song is actually probably the track Flashing Lights with Sub Focus, granted it is dubstep. Hocus Pocus is pretty good drum and bass though. I don't care for Tempa T's vocals on Hypest Hype though. Fool Yourself is a pretty cool song with Plan B and Rage though.

Edit:
New track that I am in love with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPHLUOEghM
"Prism" by Phetsta

Dr. Goonstein fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 17, 2011

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
"Song created between me and my dad, after pendulum created propane nightmares it gave us inspiration to create this"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAzymGNPmo

:yum:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Zahi posted:

"Song created between me and my dad, after pendulum created propane nightmares it gave us inspiration to create this"

There isnt many father/son Drum and Bass duo's out there, respect to them for being innovators i guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zahi posted:

This sounds like Pendulum holding a band practice as 10 year olds.

Or the soundtrack to a fight scene in an SNES game. I can't really decide which.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

LE0N posted:

There isnt many father/son Drum and Bass duo's out there, respect to them for being innovators i guess.

Mickey Finn and Logan D?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

He said not many, not none at all. Offhand I can think of Bassline Smith & Youngman, and I suppose Kenny Ken & Crissy Criss count.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
dope as poo poo

harvest- turbo stoned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqeFh3Rqgw

edit: is jump-up considered "mainstream" yet? i hope not :smith:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

HJB posted:

He said not many, not none at all. Offhand I can think of Bassline Smith & Youngman, and I suppose Kenny Ken & Crissy Criss count.

Ahh i did kinda mean none at all. Didnt think there were any out there! ahah

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

HJB posted:

we are both passionate about the same kind of music, man

lets chill out a bit, my bad earlier in the other thread

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

LouietheCuban posted:

dope as poo poo

harvest- turbo stoned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqeFh3Rqgw

edit: is jump-up considered "mainstream" yet? i hope not :smith:

i dunno if they still make music, but you should check out st8cyde jump up...

try to get the poo poo without mcs cause the mcs blow... mainly check out dj hoogs he's the rza of that poo poo

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

Dubplate Fire posted:

i dunno if they still make music, but you should check out st8cyde jump up...

try to get the poo poo without mcs cause the mcs blow... mainly check out dj hoogs he's the rza of that poo poo

i actually follow hoogs on soundcloud, i love his stuff. I talked to him briefly via pm and he seems like a cool guy too. is he a big figure in new yorks dnb scene?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

he's one of the funnest dudes to party with ever and generally a nice guy, which is why i always supported him and went to his shows whenever they weren't in upstate NY even though i am not the biggest fan of that style of drum and bass. i haven't been active in the scene for two years so i don't have any idea what he's been up to, but i am sure if he's still producing songs he'll always be somewhat popular since his music is very high energy and the dude knows how to have a good time (without chemicals!).

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
i absolutely love jump up, and would love to see the scene here in baltimore for dnb get big.

there's a nice electro/dubstep scene which is nice, but not as much dnb :smith:

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

i know for a fact hoogs had spun in baltimore many times... i'm pretty sure there is a jungle community there, i had lived there a few years ago. i mean it could've fallen off since then, but i doubt it cause they are still throwin starscape.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Oh, hey, it's time for the Friday 5! (or something...)

"PSI Investigation" - Current Value
"0121" - DJ Hazard (the VIP is pretty sick as well.)
"Inner City Life (Video Edit)" - Goldie
"Don't Be Silly" - Original Sin
"Subculture (Dieselboy & Kaos VIP)" - Styles of Beyond

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Dubplate Fire posted:

i know for a fact hoogs had spun in baltimore many times... i'm pretty sure there is a jungle community there, i had lived there a few years ago. i mean it could've fallen off since then, but i doubt it cause they are still throwin starscape.

There still is, but it's mainly big shows run by Steez Promo at Bourbon St., and that is a tough production to catch a break with. I have played for Steez a handful of times over the years, even opened the dnb stage at Starscape this past summer, but a booking from them is not something I can bank on getting. They definitely have their locals that they stick to, and for good reason, as those locals have stuck with Steez since their start, or it is a local with big draw, which has big appeal to a promoter. Also, Steez Promo is tied to Circle Management now, which has North America's largest drum'n'bass roster, so any tours Circle might have coming to the states, most likely they will play a Steez event in Baltimore, DC or Richmond, VA.

There are a couple smaller things that go on, a lot of the raver crowd was going to a venue called The Black Hole which was in Dundalk, and they had a lot of drum'n'bass but it was mostly local & regional acts. And DC is not too far for someone in Baltimore, unless they do not have reliable transportation. DC has always had something going on too, even if I thought it was falling off. In reality I just didn't know about the events being booked, or in to the acts being booked.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

YES! Good call Riot.EXE.

I'm going with five Trace tunes, since he came up over the week:

Trace & Nico - "Area 51"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjZf2ueiQM

Trace & Optical - "Kridian"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x6wqNqC3Y4

Trace & Optical - "Sphere"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3KA3Fzjqs
*** Sorry, the only video for this is gothlord fantastic.

Trace - "Final Chapta (Rollers Mix)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSCZj4HtzMQ
*** This tune is what we used to call hardstep.

Trace - "West Coast"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9NTuyIY8Y

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Riot.EXE posted:

Since subfries upped the ante with a themed friday 5, here's some greats from Decoder (just because he's awesome).

Kosheen - Dangerous Waters (Decoder remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJF3sjNDRw

Decoder - Dumb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFFuwWOYaog

Kosheen - Hide U (Decoder & Substance remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9H0P3DdU
*** PROPER CLASSIC

Decoder - Tension (Usual Suspects remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AY09jgTqIg

Pressure Rise - Changes (Tech Itch & Decoder remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBJjHG-oCo

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

chrix posted:

Decoder - Tension (Usual Suspects remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AY09jgTqIg

Decoder had a lot of great stuff, especially some of his EPs on Technical Itch and Substance (I think that was the label). But original "Tension" and the B-side "Fuze" were my favorites by him. Still have it on vinyl.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Since this is my "Maiden" Friday 5 have some tunes that either sample, remix, or otherwise sound vaguely metal:

Concord Dawn - Raining Blood
Mystification - Castaway
Metallica - Master Of Puppets (Dylan Remix)
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of (L Plus Remix) (sorry)
Syncopix - Anonymous

It was a lot harder to come up with five tunes than I thought it would be, that's my excuse.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

SUBFRIES posted:

There still is, but it's mainly big shows run by Steez Promo at Bourbon St., and that is a tough production to catch a break with. I have played for Steez a handful of times over the years, even opened the dnb stage at Starscape this past summer, but a booking from them is not something I can bank on getting. They definitely have their locals that they stick to, and for good reason, as those locals have stuck with Steez since their start, or it is a local with big draw, which has big appeal to a promoter. Also, Steez Promo is tied to Circle Management now, which has North America's largest drum'n'bass roster, so any tours Circle might have coming to the states, most likely they will play a Steez event in Baltimore, DC or Richmond, VA.

There are a couple smaller things that go on, a lot of the raver crowd was going to a venue called The Black Hole which was in Dundalk, and they had a lot of drum'n'bass but it was mostly local & regional acts. And DC is not too far for someone in Baltimore, unless they do not have reliable transportation. DC has always had something going on too, even if I thought it was falling off. In reality I just didn't know about the events being booked, or in to the acts being booked.

I've tried talking to Steez so many times, but it's really helpless. I even produce, along with DJ, yet still nothing. They probably don't want to listen to a chap like me who can spin like the rest of them, but just doesn't have a label to rep, or a club to back me up.

I'm usually playing at big house parties, but haven't stepped up to the club level. I would love to play a dnb/dubstep/electro show, but I don't really know where to start. How did you catch a break with Steez? Do you live in the DC/Bmore area?

beeps-a-palooza fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 18, 2011

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

LouietheCuban posted:

I've tried talking to Steez so many times, but it's really helpless. I even produce, along with DJ, yet still nothing. They probably don't want to listen to a chap like me who can spin like the rest of them, but just doesn't have a label to rep, or a club to back me up.

I'm usually playing at big house parties, but haven't stepped up to the club level. I would love to play a dnb/dubstep/electro show, but I don't really know where to start. How did you catch a break with Steez? Do you live in the DC/Bmore area?

give me your mix, if it's good i'll give it to someone who works with circle management... not making any promises that you'll get a gig opening but it's worth a shot

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

Dubplate Fire posted:

give me your mix, if it's good i'll give it to someone who works with circle management... not making any promises that you'll get a gig opening but it's worth a shot

that would be awesome. email? (or you can email me at louiethecuban [at] gmail.com)

the only mix I have online at the moment is this one:
http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/winter-2011-mix(dubstep)

I have a free night tonight, so I will probably work on another mix (jump-up/jungle) and I can shoot that over to you when I'm done recording it.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

No rhyme or reason, just 5 somewhat older tracks I like...
And Friday 5 is a great name...lets stick with it!!

Limewax - Agent Orange
Bad Company - Planet Dust
Adam F - Circles (big classic)
Roni Size - Brown Paper Bag (another big classic)
Concord Dawn - Broken Eyes

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

LouietheCuban posted:

It is admittedly tough the past several years. Get tunes signed to reputable labels, get your tunes in the hands of people who are playing in the area, throw events, start playing smaller club gigs, network with other promoters and build up your network. You might even have to start promoting for others, passing out fliers or volunteering at shows, but that puts you in contact with people, they will put a name to the face. And get mixes in the hands of the kids that go to parties. If a promoter has a lot of regular party goers going "OMG, BOOK LOUIE THE CUBAN", they'll listen.

Being good behind the decks only goes so far, but like you've mentioned, you are producing. I haven't heard them myself, so I can't make a call on whether they're good or not, but if you're handing stuff out, be ready for harsh criticism, no matter how good you think you're work is.

As for me, I'm from just outside of DC, I started messing with DJing in 1996, was playing at clubs & raves by 1998, I was in a good crew back then that worked well together to get bookings, plus we threw a few small things. That developed in to me working with some other people in DC, throwing a weekly called Act Your Age, which lasted over a year and gave me contacts outside of the area, and it just kept going from there. Another party I worked on, it was me, Tittsworth and Matt Nordstrom (of Nadastrom), before they moved on to much bigger things. I also knew Evan from Steez, when he was in college, knew him through his older brother. I probably peaked out in 2002 because I lost my focus & drive with it all. I had a track come out on Moving Shadow, but by the time that had happened I was frustrated with a lot of different things and just stopped trying to produce, rarely DJ'd out and let everything pass me by for several years. But the past few years have been awesome, a lot going on, and while there is a lot I think I should do, I haven't for one reason or another, but I know I can when I'm ready to.

Sorry if this looks like the DnB version of an E/N post.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friday 5? Sure, why not.

Digital - Laters Star
Vector Burn - Paradise Lost [D-Star Remix]
Evol Intent - Broken Sword
DJ Fresh - The Immortal
LTJ Bukem - Horizons

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

SUBFRIES posted:

Naw thanks for this, I find this kind of post way more interesting than a bunch of youtube links with no context.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

SUBFRIES posted:

It is admittedly tough the past several years. Get tunes signed to reputable labels, get your tunes in the hands of people who are playing in the area, throw events, start playing smaller club gigs, network with other promoters and build up your network. You might even have to start promoting for others, passing out fliers or volunteering at shows, but that puts you in contact with people, they will put a name to the face. And get mixes in the hands of the kids that go to parties. If a promoter has a lot of regular party goers going "OMG, BOOK LOUIE THE CUBAN", they'll listen.

Being good behind the decks only goes so far, but like you've mentioned, you are producing. I haven't heard them myself, so I can't make a call on whether they're good or not, but if you're handing stuff out, be ready for harsh criticism, no matter how good you think you're work is.

As for me, I'm from just outside of DC, I started messing with DJing in 1996, was playing at clubs & raves by 1998, I was in a good crew back then that worked well together to get bookings, plus we threw a few small things. That developed in to me working with some other people in DC, throwing a weekly called Act Your Age, which lasted over a year and gave me contacts outside of the area, and it just kept going from there. Another party I worked on, it was me, Tittsworth and Matt Nordstrom (of Nadastrom), before they moved on to much bigger things. I also knew Evan from Steez, when he was in college, knew him through his older brother. I probably peaked out in 2002 because I lost my focus & drive with it all. I had a track come out on Moving Shadow, but by the time that had happened I was frustrated with a lot of different things and just stopped trying to produce, rarely DJ'd out and let everything pass me by for several years. But the past few years have been awesome, a lot going on, and while there is a lot I think I should do, I haven't for one reason or another, but I know I can when I'm ready to.

Sorry if this looks like the DnB version of an E/N post.

Whats your DJ name? I'll come check you out some time.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Yeah what moving shadow release were you on? It's a shame they've stopped now.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

LouietheCuban posted:

Whats your DJ name? I'll come check you out some time.

I used to just go by Ransom, nowadays I go by Harry Ransom. I post mixes in this thread and the dubstep thread fairly often.

infinity2005 posted:

Yeah what moving shadow release were you on? It's a shame they've stopped now.

Corrupt Souls feat. Ransom - "Broadcast" on the second Corrupt Souls EP. The track was just me and Marcio/Telemetrik, but it was released as a Corrput Souls tune for various reasons. I also have a collab on the Sinthetix compilation, tune called "Breach" I did with them and UFO! from S.F. That one was mainly Rob F putting a bunch of our crazy ideas and random samples together. I had a couple other things with UFO!, Telemetrik and MRN (Matt Nordstrom), but we never finalized releases on any of it, or just didn't finish it. That Corrupt Souls tune "Samsara" was based on a big vocal sample that I gave Marcio, to possibly work on a tune, but he churned "Samsara" out in like two days. Also, my old roommate releases as SGNL, and he used to be in Robot Death Squad with Hybris. Played around in the studio with them too, but nothing ever finished.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

SUBFRIES posted:

I used to just go by Ransom, nowadays I go by Harry Ransom. I post mixes in this thread and the dubstep thread fairly often.

Corrupt Souls feat. Ransom - "Broadcast" on the second Corrupt Souls EP. The track was just me and Marcio/Telemetrik, but it was released as a Corrput Souls tune for various reasons. I also have a collab on the Sinthetix compilation, tune called "Breach" I did with them and UFO! from S.F. That one was mainly Rob F putting a bunch of our crazy ideas and random samples together. I had a couple other things with UFO!, Telemetrik and MRN (Matt Nordstrom), but we never finalized releases on any of it, or just didn't finish it. That Corrupt Souls tune "Samsara" was based on a big vocal sample that I gave Marcio, to possibly work on a tune, but he churned "Samsara" out in like two days. Also, my old roommate releases as SGNL, and he used to be in Robot Death Squad with Hybris. Played around in the studio with them too, but nothing ever finished.

Last night I finally got the chance to play 'Crystalline' by Hybris and Noisia in a club. It got a reload. Heavy stuff.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Boywunda posted:

Concord Dawn - Broken Eyes

Con dawn is my guilty pleasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hpVBT4ocE

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

SUBFRIES posted:

You wouldn't by chance be half of Kidnap & Ransom would you? They are a dubstep duo that friended me on youtube (not sure how they found me) but they make some pretty cool stuff.

Chances are this is not you, but worth a try!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Dr. Goonstein posted:

You wouldn't by chance be half of Kidnap & Ransom would you? They are a dubstep duo that friended me on youtube (not sure how they found me) but they make some pretty cool stuff.

Chances are this is not you, but worth a try!

Nope, not me. Been going by Harry Ransom for a while.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
did a thing here a jump up thing
http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/kid-fisto-february-2011-jungle

----
1) KG- Remain Where You Are
2) Original Sin- Decibal
3) Taxman, Heist- Demolition Man
4) Taxman, Heist- Iced
5) SMUG- Let's Talk
6) Sub Zero- Spin Doc
7) Zen, Crystal Clear- Heavy
8) SMUG- Fire
9) Harvest- Mutiny
10) Yatz- High Grade
11) Harvest- Turbo Stoned

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

SUBFRIES, that's loving ill that you're at least a part of dnb history by being featured on a Moving Shadow release. From someone who got into the game recently (about 4 years ago), I have a lot of respect for the guys who helped shape dnb into what it is today. I'm working on getting into production, so I hope to also put my footprint on my favorite form of music. Thanks for being an inspiration.

On a different note, some massive new releases out...

Need For Mirrors - Super Earth EP
I'm really excited about this release. NFM has been incredible lately and this release is no slouch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1sMriq40zM

Paul Saint Jack - Tear Gas EP
I can't say I know much about Paul Saint Jack, but this release makes me want to look up a lot of his older stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDiFHwYEVo

Danny Byrd - Rave Digger (special edition)
Danny added a few already released tracks, a few VIPs and instrumentals and a couple of remixes. Personally, I'll probably grab the MJ Cole remix of Tonight only because I have a secret love of bassline/garage.

Amit - Never Ending
I'll admit I haven't gotten around to listening to the whole thing yet, but it's good to see a guy like Amit still putting out quality tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJuj8lwHQ8
***edit: I'm a moron, this was released in 06, this is just a "re-release"

Netsky / KG - Strobot / Seaside remixes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJR107kudk

chrix fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 22, 2011

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I seriously cannot believe those air horn noises are in the actual tune. It's like Netsky's pre-watermarked the tune for Annie Mac to play on Radio 1.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
http://soundcloud.com/deftek-1/deftek-its-over-now

A little deep, minimal dnb I've been working on these last few days, I'd appreciate if some of you dnb heads would give it a listen and let me know what you think :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Netsky is a bit crap tbh... now that Hospital artists seem to get mainstream play automatically i wonder how Nu:tone's tracks will fare. I always thought the Matrix remix of 'Seven Years' is precisely the sort of dnb to be popular and get in thee the charts if promoted and got radio play.