Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Zoo posted:

Now that's a bigger different question. :P Also maybe post in the DC thread in the Your City Sucks forum, but it totally depends on where you want to live in relation to work, how much you want to pay, whether you prefer nightlife (and metro access) or not and whether you'll pay a premium for it, etc. I guess since you're BRAC'ing out, you might not want to live in hipper (and pricier) places like the District or Arlington anyway, but still.

Yeah, I definitely need to be within walking (or a short bus ride) distance of a metro, since I most likely won't be able to bring my car out for a loooong time. I'm not sure if trying to live by myself is a lost cause, but I don't really care if I'm in a tiny place, as long as it's not in a neighborhood where I'm going to get stabbed/robbed. Also, my boyfriend lives in Capitol Hill, so I'm trying not to live somewhere that would totally destroy our relationship.

I'll try posting in that other thread, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, I definitely need to be within walking (or a short bus ride) distance of a metro, since I most likely won't be able to bring my car out for a loooong time. I'm not sure if trying to live by myself is a lost cause, but I don't really care if I'm in a tiny place, as long as it's not in a neighborhood where I'm going to get stabbed/robbed. Also, my boyfriend lives in Capitol Hill, so I'm trying not to live somewhere that would totally destroy our relationship.

I'll try posting in that other thread, too...

Well, as you know, this will require research and you'll change your mind a few times, so it's good to start looking now. Don't wanna hijack the thread and turn it into DC apartment chat, so I rambled on with some nonsense here.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

amethystbliss posted:

Doesn't the fact that I've already accepted the offer indicate I'm willing to take the GS7 Step 1 pay and thus make any negotiations sound really weak? I feel like such an idiot.

Talk to your "enthusiastic would-be supervisor" and mention that this is an issue. Trust me - hiring is also a pain for managers.

The manager has already selected you - which means that you've already cleared your agency review board, they have already interviewed a pool of candidates, and the manager has now submitted an offer against an applicant. All of this is a loving hassle. The last thing he/she wants is for you to turn down the offer and start going down to this second or third choice, all of whom might now be less likely to accept as more time passes.

It is in your manager's best interest to get you committed and on board. So if you mention the grade difference he is likely to go to bat for you. Just do so graciously while remembering that it is HR that is screwing you, not your manager

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

TheShrike fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2016

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

For a person interested in a post-military 1811 federal career, which branch of the military (would be after college graduation) would be of the greatest help? Since military seems to be such a big boost to federal career seekers, (veteran bonus!), I thought it would be a fairly good idea to do a stint in either the Air Force or Coast Guard for a few years. (Would be an officer position)

Pro's/Con's? Which branch? Which military field?

Doesn't really matter. Go to college and become an officer. Do your best and get an honorable discharge.

If you really want to split hairs... anything in foreign languages or intelligence, I would say, would be best...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kontradaz posted:

For a person interested in a post-military 1811 federal career, which branch of the military (would be after college graduation) would be of the greatest help? Since military seems to be such a big boost to federal career seekers, (veteran bonus!), I thought it would be a fairly good idea to do a stint in either the Air Force or Coast Guard for a few years. (Would be an officer position)

Please tell me you aren't considering joining the military to get a job in federal law enforcement.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

Hope it's not too late for you to do AFROTC, as both they and the Coast Guard are basically not taking officers out of college right now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Chances of a .gov shutdown?

I'm 99% sure I'll be exempted and work anyways but still, it's going to suck if it happens.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CherryCola posted:

Is it weird that I'm actually excited for training? I'm looking forward to learning about this stuff...and actually getting a paycheck I can survive on. Speaking of, does insurance and everything kick in while I'm training, or do I have to wait until I start my actual job?

Aaaaalso, do any of you guys have apartment recommendations? I know it will be a while before I can actually get a place still, but I'd like to start looking around at different buildings.

Oh absolutely you'll be getting some great information and it will be neat; the worst will be the as the weeks drag on with training and a set schedule, set breaks, etc. where normally in the office you can schedule as you see fit. This affects some more than others but usually by the end of it you'll be glad to be going back to a more white-collar schedule :).
Absolutely your insurance and other fed benefits will kick in from your Entry on Duty (EOD) date and once you make your selection it will be retroactive to your EOD. Once you get in class, the only 'gotcha' that they will probably try to step around will be the commitment--for the long-term classes (we're not talking 1-2 week training courses) there's a commitment that I believe is 3:1 for the length of the course. For example if training was 4 mos. long you'd have to commit for a year. Since you're probably getting a household goods shipment I'll bet you have this commitment anyway. Still, you might want to clarify if you have reservations.

Apartments? Depends on which location you're going to be before BRACing; you may not even see the other locations before you get out of training. The places I could help you I'll bet your boyfriend could help you just as much...I'm not sure about places along yellow and blue lines in VA.

Hed fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 20, 2011

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

psydude posted:

Please tell me you aren't considering joining the military to get a job in federal law enforcement.

The college - officer path is a great way to get into federal LE...

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

TCD posted:

Chances of a .gov shutdown?

I'm 99% sure I'll be exempted and work anyways but still, it's going to suck if it happens.

I don't have special awesome inside knowledge, but I think it's interesting that a hipster co-worker of mine who does claim to have tons of "friends on the Hill" (corny kickball and H St. hipsters) was saying late last year around Nov/Dec that he'd been hearing the plan was to pass the CR at the time, get another CR until March, then have a government shutdown in March.

I'm pretty sure we'd be exempt too, but I know some contractors are preparing for it to affect them more significantly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

fivetwo posted:

The college - officer path is a great way to get into federal LE...

Ex post facto. I wouldn't waste my college doing four years of ROTC followed by four years of AD service or 6 years of reserve service just for a shot at a federal law enforcement gig. Why? Because your tastes change and betting your early 20s on an uncertainty isn't a good idea.

e: Now if joining the military is a primary interest of his, then he should definitely do it. I wouldn't use it as a means to an end, though.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Zoo posted:

I don't have special awesome inside knowledge, but I think it's interesting that a hipster co-worker of mine who does claim to have tons of "friends on the Hill" (corny kickball and H St. hipsters) was saying late last year around Nov/Dec that he'd been hearing the plan was to pass the CR at the time, get another CR until March, then have a government shutdown in March.

I'm pretty sure we'd be exempt too, but I know some contractors are preparing for it to affect them more significantly.
The last time the government shut down, in 1995, furloughed workers still ended up getting paid, didn't they?

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

grover posted:

The last time the government shut down, in 1995, furloughed workers still ended up getting paid, didn't they?

I believe so, yes. But you can't furlough a lot of stuff... prisons still have to operate, people still have to be arrested, those people arrested still have to see a judge within 24 hours, etc, etc. a large portion of the gov simply "can't" shut down.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

grover posted:

Yes, but that's not a guarantee this time around.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hmm. Would the shutdown apply to military personnel not deployed/mobilizing, too, or are they exempted?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

grover posted:

They were reimbursed in the next Congress, so that's totally up to the discretion of Congress. I'm sure it's possible it'd happen again, but like TCD said, no guarantees. It's still a little early to be sure of what the next Congress will look like too. Can you imagine a bill to reimburse federal employees making it through Congress in this environment any time soon?

I wasn't there, of course, but people who were around in '95 and have told me about it led me to believe that a whole lot of national security personnel were exempt; more than just essential/watch personnel and such. The prisons, etc. are a given, but I also really can't imagine closing down intelligence analytic capability, including 9-to-5'ers, with all that's happening in the world.

I also have a hard time envisioning military personnel being included, but I don't want to talk out of my rear end. Maybe someone who was in the federal gov't or military in '95 can chime in.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 20, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

fivetwo posted:

I believe so, yes. But you can't furlough a lot of stuff... prisons still have to operate, people still have to be arrested, those people arrested still have to see a judge within 24 hours, etc, etc. a large portion of the gov simply "can't" shut down.
Every federal billet is coded either "essential" or "non-essential" depending on the particular job responsibilities. "Non-essential" doesn't mean "not important", it just means they can take a few days off work without the government collapsing. Unlike "essential" workers. Essential employees don't get snow days or pussy out when hurricanes strike.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
Some of the people I work with were around during the government shutdown in '95 and '96. They said they received backpay for that furlough period.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Hed posted:

Oh absolutely you'll be getting some great information and it will be neat; the worst will be the as the weeks drag on with training and a set schedule, set breaks, etc. where normally in the office you can schedule as you see fit. This affects some more than others but usually by the end of it you'll be glad to be going back to a more white-collar schedule :).
Absolutely your insurance and other fed benefits will kick in from your Entry on Duty (EOD) date and once you make your selection it will be retroactive to your EOD. Once you get in class, the only 'gotcha' that they will probably try to step around will be the commitment--for the long-term classes (we're not talking 1-2 week training courses) there's a commitment that I believe is 3:1 for the length of the course. For example if training was 4 mos. long you'd have to commit for a year. Since you're probably getting a household goods shipment I'll bet you have this commitment anyway. Still, you might want to clarify if you have reservations.

Apartments? Depends on which location you're going to be before BRACing; you may not even see the other locations before you get out of training. The places I could help you I'll bet your boyfriend could help you just as much...I'm not sure about places along yellow and blue lines in VA.

Household goods shipment? I'm not sure this will apply to me as I already live in DC, just at a women's residence hall type setup (which is why I'm reaaally excited to get my own place). Most of my actual furniture and stuff is actually back in Minnesota, but I'm assuming they aren't going to pay for me to bring that out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Olphij posted:

Some of the people I work with were around during the government shutdown in '95 and '96. They said they received backpay for that furlough period.

I'm not sure I'd count on this given the House of Reps and their "mandate" to cut spending.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

There is almost zero chance Federal employees would get back paid like they did in the 90's. Congress already wants to freeze pay for an additional 3 years, stop promotions/step increses, add 10 furlough days and mess with retirement. If anything a day or two of Government shutdown would mean only 8 furlough days instead of 10 if that bill passes.

No idea how that works for contractors though

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I don't know how it works for contractors either, but it probably isn't a good time to be one. A friend was told by her company to prepare for contingencies if there's a shut down (look for a new job).

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Anyone know what the outlook for DoD contractors specifically is? I'm getting nervous about my prospects of employment with the cool dudes I talked to last week :(

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

I don't know how it works for contractors either, but it probably isn't a good time to be one. A friend was told by her company to prepare for contingencies if there's a shut down (look for a new job).

The next 2 years will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Anyone know what the outlook for DoD contractors specifically is? I'm getting nervous about my prospects of employment with the cool dudes I talked to last week :(
Existing contracts should not be impacted; they're contracts, and the government can't break it. So, aside from ID/IQ and time & material contracts where workers can't show up since the government officers are closed, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual shut-down.

That said, contract actions will be delayed, clearances delayed, mail delayed, whole slew of things that will impact the bottom line and threaten contractor jobs and furloughs. A lot of contracts require money to come in each quarter, and that money isn't going to come if congress doesn't authorize those funds. If budgets are actually cut as deeply as expected, contractors will be the first to feel the pain.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

grover posted:

Existing contracts should not be impacted; they're contracts, and the government can't break it.

Come on, don't you remember "convenience of the government" from your COTR classes?

The Federal government can break contracts if they want at any time.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241470.html

A. Termination for Convenience of the Government

Almost every government contract will contain some type of "Termination for Convenience" clause. This clause permits the Government to terminate the contract, at any time, without cause, when in "the Government's best interest". The right to terminate without cause arose from the Government's need to adapt acquisition needs -- and hence, the taxpayer's dollars -- to changes in situations and technologies. For example, a contract for continued production of a certain military weapon may be rendered unnecessary by the abrupt conclusion of a war. Or, Congress may refuse to fund an expensive new fighter aircraft because of the end of the Cold War.

This typically applies to discretionary vice legislated spending though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have a morbid curiosity concerning how Tea Party Republicans from states employing contractors will deal with their pissed off constituency the moment they start axing federal contracts.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

why would federal employees get reimbursed? I was told that during a furlough you are not to show up for work, even if you want to, due to liability issues to the USG.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

why would federal employees get reimbursed? I was told that during a furlough you are not to show up for work, even if you want to, due to liability issues to the USG.

It's not hypothetical; it happened. In 1996 Congress retroactively paid those who were furloughed during the 95-96 shutdown. I guess they got paid for staying home; don't know how that part worked out, just know they got retroactive pay (it's on google).

This time, however, a few people on the Hill have stated that Congress would not do that again. They could do it at some point in the future, of course, but it seems unlikely in the immediate political environment. As for contractors, they'll lay people off.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 21, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

I have a morbid curiosity concerning how Tea Party Republicans from states employing contractors will deal with their pissed off constituency the moment they start axing federal contracts.

I can't think of any tea partiers in Congress that represent fed-heavy districts off the top of my head. A few of the DC area congressmen in heavy fed jurisdictions (like Gerry Connolly and both VA senators) are Democrats. There aren't that many Tea Party Republicans in Congress in the first place. It's funny when tea partiers and Republicans at work yammer on about that stuff while collecting a federal paycheck, though. After the pay freeze thing came out they were all furious and criticized Obama, even though it was a key part of the GOP's platform plan for America if they re-took the House. I don't know how they'll spin it if Darrell Issa's amendment to freeze promotions and step increases gets into a spending bill that actually passes.

edit: Issa's amendment was actually to freeze step increases; a different amendment would've frozen all salary increases of any type for federal employees, including those derived from promotions. However, Issa's amendment failed Saturday and the other one didn't come up to a vote. Of course, as we know, this bill is doomed anyway so it's moot apart from the solace granted by knowing the proposal has failed a vote once. I'm sure Issa isn't done playing deficit hero by attacking workers and ignoring corporate tax fraud, though.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 21, 2011

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoo posted:

I can't think of any tea partiers in Congress that represent fed-heavy districts off the top of my head. A few of the DC area congressmen in heavy fed jurisdictions (like Gerry Connolly and both VA senators) are Democrats. There aren't that many Tea Party Republicans in Congress in the first place. It's funny when tea partiers and Republicans at work yammer on about that stuff while collecting a federal paycheck, though. After the pay freeze thing came out they were all furious and criticized Obama, even though it was a key part of the GOP's platform plan for America if they re-took the House. I don't know how they'll spin it if Darrell Issa's amendment to freeze promotions and step increases gets into a spending bill that actually passes.

Whoa, yeah the no step/no promotion would be a pisser for those of us in the FS.

Edit: Also I can't stand the Tea Partiers in the State Dept. I asked one why he didn't resign out of principal. That didn't go over to well.

TCD fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2011

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of my mom's coworkers is a hardcore teapartier. She told my mom that she hopes I don't get a job with the feds because she doesn't want to have to pay for my benefits with her tax dollars. Her husband is an employee with the State of Maryland, which has one of the highest income tax rates in the country, and her benefits come from him.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

psydude posted:

One of my mom's coworkers is a hardcore teapartier. She told my mom that she hopes I don't get a job with the feds because she doesn't want to have to pay for my benefits with her tax dollars. Her husband is an employee with the State of Maryland, which has one of the highest income tax rates in the country, and her benefits come from him.

She must live in my dreams, where feds don't pay taxes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Tell her you hope you don't get a job at all, so you don't pay her Social Security with your wages :colbert:

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
I survived the last government shut down. Yes, we all got paid and I don't recall there was much of a lapse either. We were off a full week. The media played up the "GS-2 single mom of 4 with no baby daddy" angle and guilted congress into retroactive pay.

The completely bizarre part of it was that an employee basically had to be available at the drop of a hat to return to work when the furlough was ended. If not, we were told we wouldn't be eligible for any restored pay. The bad part of this was for employees that had pre-approved leave for the furlough period. They were told (probably erroneously) that their leave during a furlough was revoked. I worked with a group of single ladies that had scheduled a group vacation during this time they had saved for years and were so scared they cancelled and ate the cost instead of risking losing pay.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zoo posted:

She must live in my dreams, where feds don't pay taxes.

I'd make a comment about where tea partiers live, but the theme's become so tired to me that I don't see the point in it anymore.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Happydayz posted:

Because it's a dick move, and that leads to bad press, which leads to lost votes. It's not just federal civilian wages at risk, but military pay and benefits, and social security, too. How do you think the press would react if elderly and military not actually in combat were all furloughed without pay and without BAH, BAS, etc?

Basically, this:

Nutella posted:

I survived the last government shut down. Yes, we all got paid and I don't recall there was much of a lapse either. We were off a full week. The media played up the "GS-2 single mom of 4 with no baby daddy" angle and guilted congress into retroactive pay.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ

Nutella posted:

The completely bizarre part of it was that an employee basically had to be available at the drop of a hat to return to work when the furlough was ended. If not, we were told we wouldn't be eligible for any restored pay. The bad part of this was for employees that had pre-approved leave for the furlough period. They were told (probably erroneously) that their leave during a furlough was revoked. I worked with a group of single ladies that had scheduled a group vacation during this time they had saved for years and were so scared they cancelled and ate the cost instead of risking losing pay.

Great. I've got leave approved in March to get married. It's just a couple days, but wouldn't it just be fantastic to have my supervisor order me back to work as I'm on my way to the event. First thing tomorrow I'm asking our union rep how this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

grover posted:

Because it's a dick move, and that leads to bad press, which leads to lost votes. It's not just federal civilian wages at risk, but military pay and benefits, and social security, too. How do you think the press would react if elderly and military not actually in combat were all furloughed without pay and without BAH, BAS, etc?

Didn't even realize this. If my stipend stops, it looks like I'll be fasting.