Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's an option but it's not the default like "happy and full of energy" is. Honestly if I could see just ONE JRPG that didn't have a character like this in it, it would be the only JRPG I would ever play.

Tales of Vesperia? Estelle is pretty reserved, Rita is... Rita and Judith is just good humored. Does Patty fill the cheery type? Don't know much about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Even in Tales of the Abyss, Anise fakes cheerful pretty well, but she's rather sad and angry underneath.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Some Numbers posted:

Even in Tales of the Abyss, Anise fakes cheerful pretty well, but she's rather sad and angry underneath.
Yeah, I was very happy when I found out that her happy was just an act. She only says what she really thinks like three times total in the whole game though.

Calaveron posted:

Tales of Vesperia? Estelle is pretty reserved, Rita is... Rita and Judith is just good humored. Does Patty fill the cheery type? Don't know much about her.
Yeah, Estelle wasn't over the top. Patty was though, but in a particular way that was interesting enough. She was still obviously a tacked-on character though.

Graces of course has characters like that, but the female lead isn't for once, which is nice. I guess Destiny had a different kind of female lead too, that was good.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yet another release of terrible 3DS Abyss screenshots: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/17/tales_of_the_abyss_screens/

Lordy. Not really sure why they are releasing them in this state (again) unless the game really does look this terrible on 3ds hardware.

vvvv The two I linked are, yeah. They didn't bother fixing the image quality is more my point.

[e]Go here instead for the screenshot gallery in better format: http://toa.namco-ch.net/ps2/screenshot/

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 17, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Those are the exact same shots from before, aren't they?

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004
Hm, why the difference? These shots look quite a bit better: http://www.3dsnintendoblog.com/tales-of-the-abyss/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The ones on the main site look a bit better than the hilariously bad gallery. Same image but on the official Bamco site:

Anyway, better gallery is now here: http://toa.namco-ch.net/ps2/screenshot/

Just some obvious overscaling for web page purposes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does anyone know what sort of cheat device is needed to put Alice and Decus in your party for DNW? I'm thinking I might show it off on the LP, but neither Aselia wiki or GameFAQs seem to have details.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Uuuh I'm fairly sure that's not possible. The closest you might get is just using Alice/Decus' models and textures, but there's pretty much no way you're actually gonna get their Artes or whatever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Uuuh I'm fairly sure that's not possible. The closest you might get is just using Alice/Decus' models and textures, but there's pretty much no way you're actually gonna get their Artes or whatever.

According to the wiki you can put them in your party, it's apparently leftover data from when the game was different or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember seeing vids of such, even replacing Emil and Marta in one cutscene with the two of them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Direct feed images from Famitsu on Tales of Xillia's Leia Roland as well as properly translated details about her. Also spoilers about the circumstances of her recruitment.

Long story short: she's one of those "believe in yourself and you can do anything!" types.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The only "evidence" I can find is claims by a couple of GameFAQs topic that never posted an actual code or anything, and this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGP2dSMCxwc

Considering Alice does absolutely nothing in battle, and one of the guys on GameFAQs claims that it's just a model swap and actually attacking with her would make the game crash I'm just gonna go with my idea that it's not really possible.

If you want leftover content though, the final boss battle actually has a conversation with every human character (except Richter), though it's normally impossible to get any except Emil and Marta's since he'll only talk with the person in party slot 1. I have a bunch of videos on Youtube with everyone of the original Symphonia guys' conversation if you want those. (Except Regal since someone else uploaded that before me, though I can give you that link too.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Direct feed images from Famitsu on Tales of Xillia's Leia Roland as well as properly translated details about her. Also spoilers about the circumstances of her recruitment.

Long story short: she's one of those "believe in yourself and you can do anything!" types.

If she likes sports as much as they say she does, she better not have slow movement speed in battle. :argh:

Anyway, the more I read about these characters, the less interested I am in this game. Those character designs are just godawful.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'd really like to see the new healer done well. There are really very few pure healers in the series that are actually fun to play as. Here's hoping she's a tank staff girl like Pascal or something. I'm just assuming Jude plays like Sophie, so if Leia's fail, it should be all right anyway.

I don't really mind the designs or character descriptions so far. This is a Tales game. As long as there are funny skits and a fast paced battle system, I'm all for it. I wonder when in 2011 it'll be out? I want to see more videos of the fight system.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
The only Tales game where I know you can hack characters into is Vesperia for 360. It's possible to hack Flynn into your party, attacks and all, although a lot of his attacks don't do anything and he's "gimped" in comparison to the PS3 version.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ruta posted:

There are really very few pure healers in the series that are actually fun to play as.

Fun isn't exactly the right word, but I've had no problems playing as Tear in Abyss.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I've started playing Abyss. I am enjoying it so far, despite Luke being the most annoying RPG character of all time. I'm hoping he'll get better eventually. The other characters and the story so far more than make up for the Luke-induced enragitation.
I just wish I could figure out how to make use of those magic circles that randomly appear during battles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I've started playing Abyss. I am enjoying it so far, despite Luke being the most annoying RPG character of all time. I'm hoping he'll get better eventually. The other characters and the story so far more than make up for the Luke-induced enragitation.
I just wish I could figure out how to make use of those magic circles that randomly appear during battles.
I know this is said every time this comes up, but Luke does change, more dramatically than any JRPG lead I have ever seen. So much so that if you accidentally activate some skit or something that was meant for the first half of the game in the second half of the game, it just won't sound like the Luke you know.

As for the circles, they start out tiny, because your magic is weak. As you get more powerful magic, the circles it creates are much bigger and last longer, allowing you to use them much more easily.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know this is said every time this comes up, but Luke does change, more dramatically than any JRPG lead I have ever seen.

Yeah, he goes from intolerably whiny, to boring, to boring and intolerably whiny.

Abyss had one of the worst casts I've seen in a JRPG, and I played Star Ocean 3.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, he goes from intolerably whiny, to boring, to boring and intolerably whiny.

Abyss had one of the worst casts I've seen in a JRPG, and I played Star Ocean 3.

Cliff was awesome. :colbert:

My thoughts on Luke though are that at least he's trying to improve.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I get the impression that Star Ocean's writers think their characters are good, which allows me to at least laugh at them.
The Tales people on the other hand know better. They gave us Luke in an otherwise well-done game so they can laugh at us.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for the circles, they start out tiny, because your magic is weak. As you get more powerful magic, the circles it creates are much bigger and last longer, allowing you to use them much more easily.

To further abuse the FOF system, repeatedly steal some yellow chambers from the 2nd and 3rd Sword Dancers (equip a green chamber to a move that can steal then just steal the chamber and run away, repeat) and attach them to all your spells and skills that have good FOF changes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oxxidation posted:

Play Star Ocean 4, have your opinion changed forever.

EDIT VVVV I swear, SO4 has the most unappealing ragtag group of adventurers ever commited to any format in the history of humanity.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 21, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Portable Staplefrog posted:

The Tales people on the other hand know better. They gave us Luke in an otherwise well-done game so they can laugh at us.

These same people wrote the Symphonia characters, who are probably the most annoying band of RPG characters ever created.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Momomo posted:

These same people wrote the Symphonia characters, who are probably the most annoying band of RPG characters ever created.

Please, they aren't even the most annoying band of RPG characters in a game that has "Symphonia" in the title.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Two annoying characters is far more tolerable than nine of them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It really is a race to the bottom with JRPG characters, isn't it? I like JRPGs and all, and even some of the characters in them grow on me from time to time, but holy hell, in any objective sense they are terrible.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Jade makes up for anything you don't like about Abyss's cast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mistaya posted:

Jade makes up for anything you don't like about Abyss's cast.

No he doesn't. He's the dry, sarcastic character who pokes fun at how horrible the rest of the writing is. His type is ten a penny and he's not even a particularly remarkable example.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxxidation posted:

No he doesn't. He's the dry, sarcastic character who pokes fun at how horrible the rest of the writing is. His type is ten a penny and he's not even a particularly remarkable example.

Yeah but with a twist. The entire game happens because he is an rear end in a top hat

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

OH MY GOD BRAND NEW TALES GAME ITS

oh

oh its a browser mmo

Tales of the Town: It's a thing

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That looks a lot like a social MMO with card battling stuck on the side. Oy. Pretty, I guess, though everything's a bit too bright and pastel. Seems kind of a weird design choice to develop alongside dark and moody (relatively speaking) Xillia.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So the next Tales of Xillia character looks like a vampire or from Castlevania or something. I'm gonna guess she's the "cold and quiet" stereotype who has some sort of zany quirk to her, like she turns super violent at the sight of rabbits or something and OH HO Jude and friends have to visit the Valley of Rabbits and we get an event scene where she pulls out a giant hammer or some other kind of giant object and the funny "gag" music plays.

Yes I play Tales games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So the next Tales of Xillia character looks like a vampire or from Castlevania or something. I'm gonna guess she's the "cold and quiet" stereotype

I hate that style of clothing. I already know there's going to be some sort of horrifying "sex appeal" going on here.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I doubt if Inomata was going for sex appeal here. They seem to be getting the guy to draw the guys and the girl to draw the girls, so it might sort of dodge fetish fuel in a way. I'm imagining this character's outfit will look more like Ange's from Innocence.

Besides, have you see the costumes Inomata created as Graces DLC? I don't think she's capable of sexy, just weird. I could, of course, be completely wrong.

Considering what we're missing, I guess she's a caster of some sort. I can only hope she gets Indignation instead of the healer, because it always works out better that way. However, considering the healer is bubbly, I guess she'll have the holy/lightning spells. This girl looks much more Ice elemental. I hope I'm wrong in this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Policenaut posted:

So the next Tales of Xillia character looks like a vampire or from Castlevania or something. I'm gonna guess she's the "cold and quiet" stereotype who has some sort of zany quirk to her, like she turns super violent at the sight of rabbits or something and OH HO Jude and friends have to visit the Valley of Rabbits and we get an event scene where she pulls out a giant hammer or some other kind of giant object and the funny "gag" music plays.

Yes I play Tales games.

Are we sure it's a "she"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

Are we sure it's a "she"?
I know tales of games have some pretty androgynous characters but there is no way on earth that that is a guy.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

ruta posted:

Considering what we're missing, I guess she's a caster of some sort. I can only hope she gets Indignation instead of the healer, because it always works out better that way. However, considering the healer is bubbly, I guess she'll have the holy/lightning spells. This girl looks much more Ice elemental. I hope I'm wrong in this.

I was under the impression that the healer was a staff fighter in the martial arts sense rather than the staff chick in the shooting holy lightning bolts kind of way but knowing these games I guess being both isn't out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Policenaut posted:

It's like you work as a scenario writer for Namco or something