Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solomon Grundy posted:

Further confusing the situation is the fact that in many hospitals, the physicians staffing anesthesia "departments" are actually provided by a contracting entity, rather than being hospital employees. For example, Bumblefuck Hospital may sign a contract with East Bumblefuck Anesthesiology Associates, a limited liability company, to provide anesthesiology staffing at the hospital. EBAA then hires the doctors and assigns a rotation to the Hospital. So then you get billed by the hospital for the anesthesia drug, and by EBAA for the anesthesiologist to administer the drug.

Confused yet?

Which also sucks because you have two co-pays instead of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Which also sucks because you have two co-pays instead of one.

But those evil profiteering attorneys and their fees, we need tort reform :republicandoctorfroth:

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Hi! I was directed here from the Stupid/Small Questions Megathread.

Nearly all my knowledge about US courts and justice process comes from US TV shows/movies. I was wondering to what degree the judge can affect the trial. Is he *only* there to act as a sort of ratifier of the jury's decisions and overseer of court protocol? I ask this because in all cases I can remember, whenever "objection!" is called, it's always done by one of the attorneys. Does the judge have no means to affect questioning/examination unless an attorney first calls for it? I'm naturally excluding instances where the court itself is being held in contempt and similar incidents (the witness is actually being aggressive etc.). Let's just say that the jury is being mislead or some other misconduct of justice is happening that the attorney is completely missing (due to incompetence or inexperience). Can the judge himself make any sort of correction here, or does he just have to bite down and let it happen? Can I assume that any time an attorney objects to a line of questioning, it would have continued without a hitch if he hadn't intervened?

This is just to satisfy my curiosity, I'm not really going anywhere with this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Criminal or civil?
In criminal, there are two different types of trials.
There is a bench trial, which is presided on only by a judge. He is the fact finder. This will only be mandated in the lowest level offenses. Otherwise, it is a choice of the parties.

Jury trials.
The jury is the finder of fact. However, if upon motion at the right time, the judge doesn't believe the prosecution has given facts that support conviction, the judge can dismiss those charges. In no case in a jury trial can a judge override a jury and find someone guilty.
The judge can do some questioning of the witness, though it is kind of frowned upon.
Judges can also object themselves to lines of questioning, but it better be extremely serious for a judge to intervene. Generally failure to object is the attorney's fault not the judges problem.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
I'm more interested in the jury trial, yeah. Basically, you have prosecution/defense presenting evidence, questioning witnesses etc. I'm not sure what the correct terms are but from your description it sounds like what I'm talking about.

It's interesting, though. So in a lot of cases the judge has no option but to bite down and let the process continue? I guess it's understandable, since the attorneys should be the experts on their clients' respective cases and a judge should not let personal convictions interfere since he doesn't have all the facts.

It just seems like a game, of sorts. An experienced attorney could get away with leading the witness, say, because a rookie is missing all the signs or whatever. A judge would usually let something like that carry on unless it becomes, like you say, extremely serious?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The reality is that different judges run their courtrooms differently, and the mechanisms by which a judge's actions may be constrained are pretty limited within their discretion.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Daemus posted:

Hi! I was directed here from the Stupid/Small Questions Megathread.

Nearly all my knowledge about US courts and justice process comes from US TV shows/movies. I was wondering to what degree the judge can affect the trial. Is he *only* there to act as a sort of ratifier of the jury's decisions and overseer of court protocol? I ask this because in all cases I can remember, whenever "objection!" is called, it's always done by one of the attorneys. Does the judge have no means to affect questioning/examination unless an attorney first calls for it? I'm naturally excluding instances where the court itself is being held in contempt and similar incidents (the witness is actually being aggressive etc.). Let's just say that the jury is being mislead or some other misconduct of justice is happening that the attorney is completely missing (due to incompetence or inexperience). Can the judge himself make any sort of correction here, or does he just have to bite down and let it happen? Can I assume that any time an attorney objects to a line of questioning, it would have continued without a hitch if he hadn't intervened?

This is just to satisfy my curiosity, I'm not really going anywhere with this.

Textbook version: We have an adversarial judicial system, premised on the idea that if both sides bring their 'A' game, the facts will come out and justice will prevail. With both sides bringing their 'A' game, the judge's function is as referee, and needs to take a laissez-faire attitude toward injecting him/herself into the trial.

[Criminal law] Reality: If the DA is asleep at the switch, the judge will glare or cough at the DA until he/she wakes up and starts objecting. In extreme cases, the judge will object sua sponte (of his own will) and berate the defense counsel for their unethical conduct.
If defense counsel is asleep at the switch, the judge's job is more difficult. Generally, he or she will not object for defense counsel because to do so would reduce the chances of a conviction. However, the one thing worse than an acquittal is a retrial - so the judge has to object for an incompetent defense attorney just enough so that the case doesn't get reversed for ineffective assistance of counsel (IAC). Luckily for the judge, IAC is pretty much a dead letter, except in death penalty cases, where it's a merely in hospice care.

[/cynicism] (I've been catching up on unpublished cases.)

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Awesome, thanks for the answers! Very interesting stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

[Criminal law] Reality: If the DA is asleep at the switch, the judge will glare or cough at the DA until he/she wakes up and starts objecting. In extreme cases, the judge will object sua sponte (of his own will) and berate the defense counsel for their unethical conduct.
If defense counsel is asleep at the switch, the judge's job is more difficult. Generally, he or she will not object for defense counsel because to do so would reduce the chances of a conviction. However, the one thing worse than an acquittal is a retrial - so the judge has to object for an incompetent defense attorney just enough so that the case doesn't get reversed for ineffective assistance of counsel (IAC). Luckily for the judge, IAC is pretty much a dead letter, except in death penalty cases, where it's a merely in hospice care.

[/cynicism] (I've been catching up on unpublished cases.)
Mhum.
Until extremely recently, introducing partition ratio evidence in DUI cases could be ruled inadmissible by a judge in nearly every case with enough supposed that he will never get overturned ever.* But it is still the prosecution's job to object. So I get up, start crossing on partition ration. DA doesn't care or doesn't know. Judge (recent ex-DA) calls us up and say "is there some new case that makes this admissible?" Dammit!
Meanwhile, asking a cop who is currently being sued for lying in a police report if he's ever been accused of lying in a police report? Irrelevant!

*This has now changed, kinda, YAY!

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Adar posted:

The bill is actually from the anesthesiology department at the hospital, so this is relevant and you're probably right. Either way, sounds like I'm going to court. Fun.

If you're honest-to-goodness getting sued, I'd think your first step would be to demand joinder of the insurance company? After all, you've got an indemnification claim against them and the size and nature of your claim necessarily depends on how the hospital's action against you goes. IANANYL.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hypothetical question here inspired by the events in Wisconsin and Ohio.

I'm wondering if federal law limits the ability for a state to expand collective bargaining for private employees. For instance, does federal law prevent a state from enacting the so-called "card check" (Employee Free Choice Act). I understand that union recognition is done with the National Labor Relations Board, but could a state have their own "State Labor Relations Board"?

Thanks in advance!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Can anyone comment on the at-fault cases of pedestrian / bicycle accidents? Specifically where the bicyclist was hospitalized but the pedestrian was not. Is it possible for the bicyclist to sue for damages, and in what situations will they have a strong case? This is in CA, for reference.

I can go more in detail if need be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ruggan posted:

Can anyone comment on the at-fault cases of pedestrian / bicycle accidents? Specifically where the bicyclist was hospitalized but the pedestrian was not. Is it possible for the bicyclist to sue for damages, and in what situations will they have a strong case? This is in CA, for reference.

Unless there's a highway code that mandates cyclists should stay on the road and not on the pavement this should be a matter of straight-up negligence that depends upon a common sense evaluation of the facts.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Unless there's a highway code that mandates cyclists should stay on the road and not on the pavement this should be a matter of straight-up negligence that depends upon a common sense evaluation of the facts.

Just to recap, Alchenar's answer was: "it depends on the law in your jurisdiction [which I don't know] and it also depends on the facts of your situation [which I also don't know]." It's the correct answer, imo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^
Mhum.
I'm a Ca criminal lawyer, which means I know where you're supposed to be, but not tort law or any civil law at all.

Ruggan posted:

Need a lot more details.
Did it happen on a sidewalk?

A bicycle riding on the street in CA has the same privileges and responsibilities as a motor vehicle. This means the answer is maybe.
On a sidewalk might be more complex. CA doesn't explicitly ban sidewalk riding, but many cities do. I don't know how the fault would be determined there, but I would likely assume the bicycle would be completely at fault on a sidewalk.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bicycle was on a residential street on which there are no crosswalks. The collision did not occur at an intersection. The pedestrian took one step out from behind a large vehicle obscuring both parties visions of one another, presumably to check for traffic before crossing or entering a vehicle. The bicyclist and pedestrian noticed one another and both shouted but the bike was moving too fast to stop. The cycler was likely moving at a speed near the traffic limit, although it was unclear whether or not they were above or below. The only witness was also unaware of the cycler until the collision.

I tried to keep the account as devoid of personal opinion as possible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ruggan posted:

Bicycle was on a residential street on which there are no crosswalks. The collision did not occur at an intersection. The pedestrian took one step out from behind a large vehicle obscuring both parties visions of one another, presumably to check for traffic before crossing or entering a vehicle. The bicyclist and pedestrian noticed one another and both shouted but the bike was moving too fast to stop. The cycler was likely moving at a speed near the traffic limit, although it was unclear whether or not they were above or below. The only witness was also unaware of the cycler until the collision.

I tried to keep the account as devoid of personal opinion as possible.

This would likely be treated the same as a car-vehicle collision. There might be a case, I dunno.
Generally on residential streets (This is a legally defined term that not all 'residential streets" might fall under) in CA the ped has absolute ROW (basically the whole street is a crosswalk), but this does not remove some duty of care from the ped.
Someone needs to speak with a civil attorney who knows all the facts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ruggan posted:

The cycler was likely moving at a speed near the traffic limit, although it was unclear whether or not they were above or below.

That's a pretty fast cyclist or a pretty slow street. What was the limit?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

20 or 25. The cyclist cleared 1.5 car lengths in a fraction of a second between the shouts and impact.2

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

This would likely be treated the same as a car-vehicle collision. There might be a case, I dunno.
Generally on residential streets (This is a legally defined term that not all 'residential streets" might fall under) in CA the ped has absolute ROW (basically the whole street is a crosswalk), but this does not remove some duty of care from the ped.
Someone needs to speak with a civil attorney who knows all the facts.

CA is funny.

Has negligence per se which means most likely if pedestrian was jaywalking he will be found negligent and thus at some fault for the accident.

But CA is also pure comparative negligence. So if bicyclist is found to be negligent then they decide to what degree each contributed to the accident.

Negligence analysis on bicyclist is standard. If bicyclist negligent and pedestrian negligent, bicyclist pays for between 1 and 99% of damages depending.

Negligence analysis will come down to did bicyclist breach duty of care to pedestrian. If bicyclist acting otherwise lawfully, will depend on if it was even possible for bicyclist to avoid accident. Could/should bicyclist have seen pedestrian? Could/should bicyclist have swerved? Did bicyclist have street-legal brakes on bike? etc.

At 20mph you cover 1.5 car lengths in 2/3 of a second, give or take. The minimum reaction time you'll see used in accident reconstruction is generally 3/4 second.

I miss you nm. Let's do a beer next time I am in town.

edit:
Like nm I really don't know this poo poo either, as I am not an ambulance chaser of any sort, nor will you find my smiling mug in the back of the phonebook. I have never seriously uttered the phrase "call now!" into a camera. nm and I are not your lawyer, and we don't wanna be. (Except nm could probably use the money).

edit2:
Lol. I was writing as though pedestrian was injured. Yeah. The bicyclist can sue for damages. If pedestrian was violating state or local jaywalking ordinance, bicyclist should be able to recover something. Even if not, pedestrian has explicit statutory duty not to step into roadway when a vehicle is so close that pedestrian presents an immediate hazard.

srsly fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 24, 2011

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I found this interesting and somewhat applicable:

quote:

Under California state law, a pedestrian may generally cross a roadway anywhere along the road without jaywalking. But there are exceptions. Here are the main exceptions:

Exception #1:
Classic Jaywalking: If you are between two adjacent intersections that are both controlled by "traffic control signal devices" (i.e. a traffic light), then you, the pedestrian, must cross at the intersection. See California Vehicle Code [CVC] §21955.

Exception #2:
Local Law Traps: Local jurisdictions (cities, counties) may enact harsher laws about jaywalking. See CVC §21961 and CVC §21106.

Exception #3:
Failure to Yield: Pedestrians generally must yield right-of-way to vehicles (which are near enough to constitute an immediate hazard) unless crossing at marked or unmarked crosswalks. (CVC §21954).

Since the road in question was not between two intersections with adjacent marked crosswalks or controlled by traffic lights, the pedestrian is legally allowed to cross. However, the question then becomes whether or not the pedestrian was negligent in checking for oncoming traffic. Was the pedestrian negligent to step around a sight obscuring obstacle to look for traffic? What if the lights, which would normally be visible during night from a car or a strong LED bike light, were either not on or not reasonably visible?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Ruggan posted:

Was the pedestrian negligent to step around a sight obscuring obstacle to look for traffic?

Couldn't that be considered the same as when a car is at a stop sign but has to pull past the line to see around a blind spot? As soon as he crosses, he's considered out there in the intersection if he gets hit. Same as if there was no blind spot and they pull out and get hit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

edit:
Like nm I really don't know this poo poo either, as I am not an ambulance chaser of any sort, nor will you find my smiling mug in the back of the phonebook. I have never seriously uttered the phrase "call now!" into a camera. nm and I are not your lawyer, and we don't wanna be. (Except nm could probably use the money).
Bull, you private lawyers are whores for money!

How the hell did you get that avatar?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This is in Ontario, Canada.

I was charged with a bunch of credit card related offenses a year ago and the charges were withdrawn in court about 3 weeks ago (made a thread about it here if anyone's interested http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389450).

My wife and I always said that after this was over we were going to go on a vacation. Now my worry is, even though the charges were withdrawn, is this going to cause me some problems at the border? I know I should apply for a File Destruction but I haven't even received the paperwork my lawyer says I'll need from her and even then it usually takes 8 months for the file destruction to happen.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EvilJoven posted:

This is in Ontario, Canada.

I was charged with a bunch of credit card related offenses a year ago and the charges were withdrawn in court about 3 weeks ago (made a thread about it here if anyone's interested http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389450).

My wife and I always said that after this was over we were going to go on a vacation. Now my worry is, even though the charges were withdrawn, is this going to cause me some problems at the border? I know I should apply for a File Destruction but I haven't even received the paperwork my lawyer says I'll need from her and even then it usually takes 8 months for the file destruction to happen.

IANAL.

I don't think so; usually the US CBP guy just asks if you've been arrested before. (He might not even ask) If you say yes, but the charges were dropped, you should be fine. Do not lie to that guy. Worst comes to worst, ask the US embassy / consulate for a waiver, but I don't think you should need one.

Other countries don't have access to your criminal record, AFAIK.

Once again, IANAL. I just go through custom often, sometimes with shady people.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
I host a MediaWiki site called Wiktenauer (http://www.wiktenauer.com). The site hosts images, transcriptions and translations of 400-600 year old medieval manuscripts for the purposes of studying historical european martial arts. The main focus of this post is on the images. To see what I mean by 'images', please view http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Paulus_Kal and expand the sections as an example.

Most of the images are scans of manuscripts held by US and EU museums. Most of the images are also hosted by the online presences of these museums or have otherwise been circulated freely around the net for years without issue. Issues were raised recently by a part of the community when one of my contributors posted high resolution scans of a manuscript held by the Getty that have not previously been freely available. The scans were cut up and blown up portions of text for the purposes of transcribing, and not the whole image.

Scans of manuscripts like this one can be purchased from museums sometimes by private parties for a large sum of money and usually has usage limitations attached to them. The problem is that, as with most pictures or documents that are online, the scans make their way out to first a couple people and then a bunch of people. We have since removed these images until we can work out what the risks are for the current project and for any future projects.

I was wondering what kinds of issues I may run into with this. I am a citizen of and live in the US and the host is also US. I know that, at least under US copyright laws, faithful reproductions of public-domain images can not be copyrighted. The terms of use and civil issues are my main concern.

I'm honestly not even sure if I provided all the useful information I could, so please just ask if you want to know anything about how we operate, what the manuscripts are and how they're used or anything else.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
In Phoenix, Arizona.

My girlfriend just got fired from her job or possibly abandoned it. That is where we are confused. She was running late (20 minutes) to work for the first time. The desk called her and asked if she was coming and told them she was on her way now. Around five minuets latter the district manager called and said not to bother going in and to never come back. She then asked when she can pick up her last check then and the manager responded with next week as she abandoned her shift/job.

This seems a bit odd to me as I thought you had to be no contact for at least three days to abandon a job.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hibame posted:

In Phoenix, Arizona.

My girlfriend just got fired from her job or possibly abandoned it. That is where we are confused. She was running late (20 minutes) to work for the first time. The desk called her and asked if she was coming and told them she was on her way now. Around five minuets latter the district manager called and said not to bother going in and to never come back. She then asked when she can pick up her last check then and the manager responded with next week as she abandoned her shift/job.

This seems a bit odd to me as I thought you had to be no contact for at least three days to abandon a job.

IANAL, but I did work as the HR role for a 200+ employee location (company is 10k+ employees) with plenty of temp positions at one point in time. It's in CA (and as I understand, CA labor laws are more strict), but job abandonment only kicks in at 3 missed shifts. In AZ, final pay is within 72 hours if you are fired or by next paycheck if you quit. Job abandonment is considered quitting.

That being said, I think your girlfriend might be able to seek damages for unfair labor practices. Once again, IANAL. But there is a lot of case work revolving around terminations for job abandonment, and most cases (and states) have come to the consensus of 3 days being the acceptable time-frame. You might seek out her employee handbook (any paperwork given at hire) to see if she was reasonably notified of the attendance policy. Additionally, if she notified the employer that she was merely late, that seems hardly able to qualify as abandonment.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008

Ruggan posted:

IANAL, but I did work as the HR role for a 200+ employee location (company is 10k+ employees) with plenty of temp positions at one point in time. It's in CA (and as I understand, CA labor laws are more strict), but job abandonment only kicks in at 3 missed shifts. In AZ, final pay is within 72 hours if you are fired or by next paycheck if you quit. Job abandonment is considered quitting.

That being said, I think your girlfriend might be able to seek damages for unfair labor practices. Once again, IANAL. But there is a lot of case work revolving around terminations for job abandonment, and most cases (and states) have come to the consensus of 3 days being the acceptable time-frame. You might seek out her employee handbook (any paperwork given at hire) to see if she was reasonably notified of the attendance policy. Additionally, if she notified the employer that she was merely late, that seems hardly able to qualify as abandonment.

Thanks for the reassurance! We looked over everything they have ever given to her, most of it was procedures and guidelines for doing work. Only one spot said "do not be late for your shift" in a list of don't such as dress inappropriately or show up drunk. I don't think she is going to go so far as looking for damages as long as she can find a job at one of the other franchises. (It is suspected that all the managers from the different franchises get together and "talk")

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If that guy has a rep for being a prick she might be fine at another one.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Ruggan posted:

IAAL, but I don't know AZ law. I can tell you that in my state, the employer can fire an employee for missing a shift. Unfair labor practices only enter the equation if she was in a union.

Suppin
May 16, 2004

My Spidey Sense is Tingling. Someone must be jacking off to MJ.
I run http://isthewiferight.com and I got an email from a guy awhile back stating asking me if I could help him with his website. The guy is trying to "rip off" my site.

quote:

Hi,

I am trying to do exactly what you did with thumbs up, having 2 votes UP for opposite sex.

Can you please share what you did ?

I have this for now: http://disparejas.com/2011/02/07/hola-mundo/

Its a site in spanish, so maybe you will not understand everything, but you will get the idea.

I will really appreciate your help.

Regards, Peter

I sent him a cease and desist letter that I found online and edited:

quote:

Dear Sir,

We are the proprietors of all copyright in a literary/artistic/visual work entitled http://isthewiferight.com (The "Work"). We have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first expressed in material form on December 7th, 2010.

It has come to our attention that your work entitled "http://disparejas.com" is substantially similar to our copyrighted Work. Permission was neither asked nor granted to reproduce our Work and your Work therefore constitutes infringement of our rights. In terms of the Copyright Statutes, we are entitled to an injunction against your continued infringement, as well as to recover damages from you for the loss we have suffered as a result of your infringing conduct as under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2).

In the circumstances, we demand that you immediately:

1. remove all infringing content and notify us in writing that you have done so;
2. pay a licensing fee in the amount of $10,000.
3. immediately cease the use and distribution of copyrighted material;
4. undertake in writing to desist from using any of our copyrighted Work in future without prior written authority from us.

We await to hear from you by no later than February 21, 2011.

This is written without prejudice to our rights, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Yours faithfully,
http://isthewiferight.com

He currently has a facebook and a twitter account and is blatantly ripping off my idea. I'm not sure if I'm just "bitching" that someone "stole" my idea but I think that he.. really stole my idea! He's using the same layout, same plugins, same style and even asked me how to make it like mine.

Can I really seek any legal action to shut him down?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am not sure that this is as open and shut as you seem to believe it is. Did you write the plugins? I think "layout," "style," and "idea" are all a bit too ephemeral to warrant copyright protection.

Suppin
May 16, 2004

My Spidey Sense is Tingling. Someone must be jacking off to MJ.

gvibes posted:

I am not sure that this is as open and shut as you seem to believe it is. Did you write the plugins? I think "layout," "style," and "idea" are all a bit too ephemeral to warrant copyright protection.

I don't think there's a case at all. My family/friends think I should pursue it but I'm thinking it's not something I can stop.

If you compare the sites, it's obvious he's ripping off my idea and color scheme, plugin changes.

I'm just afraid that there's nothing I can do.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I have a question about a speeding ticket in Florida. I hear about these people: http://www.theticketclinic.com/ pretty often but I don't know what it is exactly they do. Am I basically hiring an attorney and they show up to court for me and keep appealing it if I lose?

Along those lines, is this something I can do myself? If you have a court date, is it a guarantee you will see a judge that day or could it go either way? I could take a single day off of work to handle this but any more than that becomes unreasonable and a waste of leave.

KellyLama
Jul 2, 2007

Yes, it's a puppy hat. Do you have a problem with that?

Suppin posted:

I don't think there's a case at all. My family/friends think I should pursue it but I'm thinking it's not something I can stop.

If you compare the sites, it's obvious he's ripping off my idea and color scheme, plugin changes.

IAAL in Georgia. You probably don't have a case for copyright infringement. That would require actual copying of your actual proprietary content. If there's actual copying going on -- including translation from English to Spanish -- you might have a copyright claim.

However, you may have a claim that sounds in (federal) trademark or (more likely) (federal) trade dress. Courts recognize claims for misappropriation of a website's "look and feel" that fall short of copying, and especially in cases where there's a similarity of the content and purpose of the site. There may be state unfair competition laws that also provide you with some remedy.

I don't speak or read Spanish, but it looks to me like his site is down and/or suspended. Your C&D may have done its job.

Where are you located? My firm does a lot of this sort of IP/internet work, we're very competent and very competitively priced. If his site isn't down for the count, send me a PM and I will send you my contact info if you'd like a free consultation.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

IratelyBlank posted:

I have a question about a speeding ticket in Florida. I hear about these people: http://www.theticketclinic.com/ pretty often but I don't know what it is exactly they do. Am I basically hiring an attorney and they show up to court for me and keep appealing it if I lose?

Along those lines, is this something I can do myself? If you have a court date, is it a guarantee you will see a judge that day or could it go either way? I could take a single day off of work to handle this but any more than that becomes unreasonable and a waste of leave.

Typically, it's two days. The first day you show up and plead, if you plead not guilty then they set a trial date. In my jurisdiction you can waive your right to see the judge the first day and fill out a form to plead not guilty, call the courthouse and ask if they have a similar procedure where you live. (It varies from county to county.)

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Suppin posted:

I don't know anything about the legality of the situation, but as a Spanish speaker it's obvious when he wrote a lot of his copy while looking at your site.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I just got a call from a debt collection company today and they've stated they're going to be contacting my employer to begin the process of wage garnishment because there is absolutely no way I can pony up 4000 bucks today. My question is basically, can I be fired from my job if this is my second wage garnishment? Also, does wage garnishment show up on your criminal record??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Dandy Cat posted:

I just got a call from a debt collection company today and they've stated they're going to be contacting my employer to begin the process of wage garnishment because there is absolutely no way I can pony up 4000 bucks today. My question is basically, can I be fired from my job if this is my second wage garnishment? Also, does wage garnishment show up on your criminal record??

I can't answer the employment question, but regarding your actual debt, you should totally read this thread because it sounds like you might have a scummy collector: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

The wage garnishing thing could potentially become a non-issue, depending on whether they actually have the power to do that (they probably don't and would be breaking the law by claiming that they can).