Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You have to write something about the drat film, not just say that you've seen it. I will start probating people who ignore this.

THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy! One of the best parts about this thread is to hear what people thought about is once they waited so long to see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Mistletoe Donkey - I'm choosing The Insider for you. It's possibly my favourite Michael Mann. It's rare subdued Pacino and features, in my opinion, Russell Crowe's best work.

My list:

1) Sunset Boulevard - For whatever reason, Billy Wilder has never interested me. I keep hearing he's a master of his craft and I've always found a movie to watch in place of Sunset Blvd.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Amadeus - I know I'll like it and I'm embarrassed I haven't watched it.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6) Breathless - I love the Godard I've watched (Pierrot, Masculin-Feminin, Bande A Part) but haven't seen what many regard as his most must see.

7) Our Man in Havana - I've seen the other two collaborations between Graham Greene and Carol Reed (Third Man and Fallen Idol) I figure I should probably see this one soon.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Wild Strawberries - Need more Bergman but I find he can be draining but I like what I've seen.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see

This is terrific and my second favorite Mann film after Heat, so check it out.

The Purple Rose of Cairo was an emotional rollercoaster, to coin a phrase. It made me smile in a way only Woody Allen at his best can, and then it absolutely broke my heart at the end. Jeff Daniels is just wonderful in this movie and is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. I loved Mia Farrow in this, too, more so than I have in any of her other collaborations with Allen. I love this movie.

Updated list:

1. The Right Stuff- I’ve seen Kaufman’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is gorgeous. I’ve heard nothing but good things about this one.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've gone to post my list and recommendations twice now and keep getting beaten. The Thing, then Amadeus..now I haven't seen anything on meanmikhail's list lol..

Meanmikhail, I've seen the first half of The Right Stuff (the movie was split onto two VHS tapes at my grandparents house and the second half was missing). So go with that. I need to watch it too.

Also, I noticed that meanmikhail picked for mistletoe as well and ratedargh got skipped. I'd recommend Amadeus to ratedargh..or if meanmikhail edits his post you can watch what he recommends.

Wild Strawberries - Very good movie. So many scenes stick out to comment on but I really liked the ending when the three young people said goodbye to the professor from below. It's kind of a film about the seasons of life and it appears that the older you get the more baggage and problems you collect as time goes on.

Also watched:

Touch of Evil - Didn't like it. Orson Welles stars a mumbling, bumbling walking heart attack. Corruption on film has never been so boring and disinteresting. Also, Charlton Heston's worst performance since Bowling for Columbine.

I was openly laughing during many scenes..particularly the never-ending closeup camera shots following Welles scene after scene. The camera is stuck on his left shoulder so much that you'd think he had a gravitational pull on the thing.

The smaller roles were just as bizarre and ridiculous as well. The Mexican villains were not menacing they were annoying..and the hotel worker? Ridiculous.

IMDb list:

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#139 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

#140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

#145 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#148 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

new #152 Gone with the Wind - Still the highest grossing theatrical release after adjusting for inflation I believe. (added 2/21/11)

new #153 Trainspotting - Heard about it when it was first released. But I forgot about watching it. (added 2/21/11)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

meanmikhail skipped over Ratedargh

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

Also, Charlton Heston's worst performance since Bowling for Columbine.

My friends and I used to joyfully repeat his lazy deliverance of the line "Donde esta mi esposa?!" Dark skin makeup and moustache does not a Mexican make.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around
Whoops, must have been beaten by an inch. Ratedargh, you get Wild Strawberries, which is probably my favorite Bergman and slightly more hopeful than his other films. So there's that!

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still was ... OK. Maybe it was a somewhat new concept in 1951, but after decades of seeing old Twilight Zone and original Star Trek episodes, the whole humans are a danger to the universe stories seem kind of old to me. The acting also wasn't really great shakes either. Felt like I was watching an old Twilight Zone episode. Wasn't bad, just OK.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Double Indemnity
The Dark Knight - Would like to put something more recent on my list, and this movie is just sitting on my DVR now.

Once Upon a Time In the West
Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)
Brazil

Animal Crackers
Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai
Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men

zogo, only one on your list I've seen is High Noon, so you get that one.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Dmitri, you get 12 Angry Men. It's a dandy.

I think Nashville is probably the best example of Robert Altman being Robert Altman. There are so many story lines happening and characters running around it's a little dizzying, but they're all so well-rounded and fleshed-out that it's never confusing.

I love the performances Altman gets from his actors. I kind of don't want to even call them performances, it doesn't feel like any of these people are acting. They all have such an incredible realness to them that's hard to find in movies. Like, I could go to Nashville (maybe not nowadays, but definitely back in the 70's), and meet anyone of those characters.

Also, it's not just that we're catching these characters on the most abnormal day(s) of their life; the characters in Nashville are always this over-the-top/ridiculous/delusional/inane/what have you. God, that British woman was driving me bonkers. And I loved Lady Pearl getting all blubbery over the Kennedys, and Connie White's disbelief over Julie Christie being Julie Christie.

Oh, and I can't forget about the music. It added another layer of reality to the movie, having the actors write their own songs. That 'I'm Easy' song that Tom sings is fantastic, and was such a beautiful bit of calm in the middle of all the chaos.

I think I still prefer McCabe... if only because that movie looks like a dream, and I'm a complete sucker for Leonard Cohen and Julie Christie. But Nashville is definitely a close second.

tldr; God drat it, I love Robert Altman.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Amarcord I've heard less good things about this one compared to Fellini's other work, but he hasn't failed me so far.

Notorious I thought I'd seen this, but when I looked up the info nothing seemed familiar.

Madame de... This sounds right up my alley.

Ikiru More Kurosawa.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower you get Madame de... because it's great and probably the least likely to be recommended on your list.

I want to like Branded to Kill more, it's got some interesting visuals and the paranoid tone is really effective, but ultimately I was too confused and uninterested in the lead character to get invested.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam Another silent I need to watch.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter This has an obscenely high PSI for me on criticker, and I'd like to watch more martial arts films.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies It's long, but Marty talking about movies is probably worth it.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Fiddler on the Roof I really doubt I'll like this but I should give more musicals a chance so we'll see.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

PA: So after what looks like 50+ movies down there, what's your favorite that this thread made you watch (so far)?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

PA: So after what looks like 50+ movies down there, what's your favorite that this thread made you watch (so far)?

I'm guessing one of these, unless time has dimmed his opinion:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10
Napoleon 10/10
Greed 10/10
Ceddo 10/10
Dodesukaden 10/10

All fine selections. I'd go with Neotpravlennoye pismo or Napoleon out of that bunch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I think it's more like 120 movies by now. It's hard to really pick a favourite. Looking back I certainly wrote a lot of words about Greed and Napoleon which were both incredibly impressive and really fun, Greed maybe a little more so. If I had to pick a single film though, it would be Dodesukaden. It mixes hope and bleakness incredibly well and that unique visual style is really memorable, as are the characters.

Edit: Yeah those other two were amazing too, just a tiny bit less memorable.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 22, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think it's more like 120 movies by now. It's hard to really pick a favourite. Looking back I certainly wrote a lot of words about Greed and Napoleon which were both incredibly impressive and really fun, Greed maybe a little more so. If I had to pick a single film though, it would be Dodesukaden. It mixes hope and bleakness incredibly well and that unique visual style is really memorable, as are the characters.

Which ones were the farthest from your expectations before you watched?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Which ones were the farthest from your expectations before you watched?

In a positive sense Dodesukaden, which I really expected to be a lesser Kurosawa, Olympia because I thought Triumph of the Will was pretty boring and expected more of the same, and, though I liked it less, Heaven's Gate just because I expected an absolute dud, doubly so because I'm not fond of The Deer Hunter.

Negatively I'd have to go with The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, not because it was bad but because I had really high expectations and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Everything else I rated 7.5/10 or less I either expected I might not like or had no expectations about. Babette's Feast deserves mention because I expected something at least decent and it wasn't close.

Overall the thread has really had more pleasant surprises than duds.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Black God White Devil just reinforces my developing interest in Brazilian film. It's so beautiful looking - it feels like pre-Fitzcarraldo Herzog, or a slightly saner Jodorowsky. There's a real presence and defiant pride of place in Brazilian movies (that I've seen anyway), and this one is no exception. It manages to be angry and tender at the same time. I'm not sure it achieved everything it wanted to, but that's part of the power of it in a weird way.

PA, Der Golem.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

New one: How To Train Your Dragon I think my list is a bit esoteric, and there's basically no way I'm gonna watch this otherwise.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Wind I might not have ever seen a Sjostrom movie.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Across 110th Street Yaphetttttttt! Also the theme song's real good.

Drunken Angel Hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10)

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Just watched Pulp Fiction, great movie, one of those movies that need rewatching due to the attention to detail, great characters, moments that were funnier than many comedies and moments that were "scarier" than many thrillers, my favorite segment is the Golden Watch segment, I was really fearing for that boxer dude. Overall, there's almost no disadvantage with this movie, great movie.
8/10

Poster above, you're watching Drunken Angel

My list:

Shawshank Redemption - I am 100% sure it is incredibly over rated, and the concept bores me

The Godfather Part 2 - Enjoyed the first one, never got around to watching the second one, probably because I read the book and lost interest.

12 Angry Men - Actually don't know anything about this one

One Flew Over at the Cuckoo's Nest - Sounded boring

Seven Samurai - Never heard of this movie either, badass title

Once Upon a Time In The West - Not a big fan of Westerns, the Man With No Name trilogy being the exception

Rear Window - Been spoiled, know everything that happens in this movie, from start to finish, saw parodies of it, overall, I have absolutely no reason to watch this movie.

Usual Suspects - I was gonna watch this movie once, but for some reason, I just didn't watch it.

Memento - Now with the Cristopher Nolan craze due to Inception and The Dark Knight, I heard of this movie, which is apparently one of the best movies ever according to IMDB, and I was interested in it.

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 4, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wild Strawberries – For a good part of the runtime I experienced the cold and clinical detachment I felt when watching Passion of Anna. Never quite as emotionally draining, Wild Strawberries takes a frank look into the psyche of a man coming to grips with his own mortality. It does shift to have a less cynical view on life than I expected. The people Isak picks up along the way stand in for memories of those who populated his life before and while he considers himself close to death he re-evaluates the path that led him to where he is. It’s a testament to letting go and embracing or at least accepting the negative events in life. It is a beautiful film and one that I think would be a good starting point for a first-time Bergman viewer.

SGRaaize, you're watching my favourite movie ever GoodFellas.

Updated List

1)Sunset Blvd. - For whatever reason, Billy Wilder has never interested me. I keep hearing he's a master of his craft and I've always found a movie to watch in place of Sunset Blvd.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6) Breathless - I love the Godard I've watched (Pierrot, Masculin-Feminin, Bande A Part) but haven't seen what many regard as his most must see.

7) Our Man in Havana - I've seen the other two collaborations between Graham Greene and Carol Reed (Third Man and Fallen Idol) I figure I should probably see this one soon.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) *NEW* The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Working my way through Terry Gilliam but have not yet reached this. Loved Time Bandits. Hell I even liked Brothers Grimm more than most people I’ve talked to.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh, Billy Wilder is great go watch Sunset Blvd.

The Golem was pretty good. I liked the style, expressionism is always fun, and the story's fine, but I wanted something more. The Golem's quasi human struggles are better expressed in Frankenstein, which clearly took some cues from this film, and the rest of the characters just aren't that interesting or developed.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Coal Miner's Daughter Is this actually any good? It's one of those films whose name sounds familiar but I can't really place the context in which I've heard it referenced.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Barbarella I don't often watch movies for camp value but this is one I've been curious about.

The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter This has an obscenely high PSI for me on criticker, and I'd like to watch more martial arts films.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies It's long, but Marty talking about movies is probably worth it.

Fiddler on the Roof I really doubt I'll like this but I should give more musicals a chance so we'll see.

Mephisto Don't know much about it but I know I've seen a lot of praise for it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10

Zzyxzaa
Feb 22, 2011
I'll be honest, Peaceful Anarchy, I haven't seen any of those movies (except for Fiddler on the Roof, and I didn't like it), but Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite directors and I'm sure it'd be interesting to see his take on American cinema. So A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies it is (I'll probably be watching it soon too).

Here are mine:

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Only saw the first Lord of the Rings, but I liked it. Been meaning to get around to the sequels for a long time now.

Contempt - I've only seen two Godard films, and while I liked them, I didn't exactly love them. Been meaning to try again with this one.

Rio Bravo - I love westerns, but somehow I haven't seen this one yet.

Leon: The Professional - Don't know a lot about this movie, other than the basic premise, but I hear it's great.

American History X - Another one that's eluded me for years.

Saving Private Ryan - A friend of mine is in the military, and this is his second favorite movie, I think. I guess I should see this.

The Pianist - Another friend of mine's favorite movie.

The Conformist - Just haven't seen it yet.

Das Boot - It's practically the only foreign movie they have down at the local library, yet I pass on it every time.

Cinema Paradiso - Watched the first 20-30 minutes of this before being interrupted. Never got back around to it.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Whoops, beaten to the punch, here's one for you Zzyxzaa

Zzyxzaa posted:

Saving Private Ryan - A friend of mine is in the military, and this is his second favorite movie, I think. I guess I should see this.
At least on your list I've seen a couple of the movies and a couple that I'm about to put on mine. Very good movie. Tom Hanks best role in my mind (which is saying a ton).

I need to watch movies with people more often. After seeing The Usual Suspects, I really want to see it with someone who hasn't seen it. I've seen a few movies with great endings and journeys that drag out, but the journey here kept itself captivating and of course the ending is amazing. I wish Singer could pump more stuff out like this.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. Network - This movie has greatly intrigued me, yet I keep forgetting to put it down.

5. Psycho - I have not seen this movie in a very long time and remember zero details outside of the shower scene and the stairway scene. I remember not liking it too much, but I was also really young.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 23, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
marionblack, you get Network

The Insider didn't grab me until about halfway in, but once it did,I was hooked. I love movies about journalism, so this hit me just right. Pacino was pretty good and Russell Crowe was more of the same from him, but I really liked Christopher Plummer as Mike Wallace. I would say it's Mann's third best film behind Heat and Manhunter. I really enjoyed it.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Thing- yet another sci-fi classic I should have seen by now
4) Pierrot Le Fou_ more Godard for me
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) All The President's Men- all of the investigative journalism, none of the Russell Crowe
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Old Boy- I've owned this for too long without watching it, even though I'm sure I'll love it
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Mistletoe Donkey you must see The Thing! You say "Sci-Fi Classic" so I assume you are referring to the 1950¡¦s movie. This was one of the first 50's Sci-Fi/horror movies I ever saw and I still remember watching it with my dad.

The movies with * are movies that my girlfriend hasn't seen and I haven't seen them in so long that it¡¦ll be like the first time. I'm trying to encourage her to start her own SA account. I'll fill the reasons for 4, 5, and 6 and add a few more when I get home, but I wanted to get this up.

1) LA Confidential(1997) - Kevin Spacey just bugs me
2) Shane ¡V I love westerns and whenever I have a western marathon this isn't one I think it's the cover :)
3) Midnight Cowboy ¡V I have no idea why, I think I¡¦ve even had it from Netflix in the past.
4) Rocky* - I started it and fell asleep... a few times, actually.
5) Spartacus*- I get this one confused with Ben Hur, but I have seen clips of both.
6) Ben Hur* - I get this one confused with Spartacus, but I have seen clips of both.
7) The Steel Helmet (1951) I've enjoyed all of the Sam Fuller movies I've seen but this one just hasn't made its way into my dvd player yet.
8) Notorious - (1946) Its on my list of spy movies.
9) M (1932) -
10) Fast Times At Ridgemont High - I've seen the clip of the chick coming out of the pool so many times, but thats pretty much it.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 24, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I've got a lot of free time these days so I was able to watch Sunset Blvd. this afternoon. I didn’t think I’d enjoy this as much as I did. Great dialog and is a lot funnier than I expected, especially this back and forth when Norma decides she’s taking the script of Salome to DeMille that day.

“Here’s the chart from my astrologer. She read DeMille’s horoscope, she read mine.”
“Did she read the script?”

This also reinforces my enjoyment of William Holden. He’s been great in everything I’ve seen him in. Of course Gloria Swanson is the whole show but Holden is the quiet glue of the story. His Joe Gillis seems like Philip Marlowe’s deadbeat screenwriting cousin.

Dukket, do yourself a favour and watch L.A. Confidential. It's less Spacey's film than Guy Pearce's and Russell Crowe's. Spacey, though, is also at his best in my opinion here.

Updated List:

1)*NEW* Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Working my way through Terry Gilliam but have not yet reached this. Loved Time Bandits. Hell I even liked Brothers Grimm more than most people I’ve talked to.

Watched through the thread: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I got it in my head that Drunken Angel was Stray Dog. Once I got over that initial confusion, I thought it was a pretty cool, stylish and sad character study in the vein of, like, Russian literature. Shimura is great as usual, bringing a lot of tenderness to his role, but Mifune is at the absolute top of his form. This might be my favorite role from him. The description "fierce, but empty" really hit the nail on the head. A minor work, but only because of the insanely high standards of the director. And in the end, the minor works are sometimes the most interesting.

I also watched Little Fugitive, which has been on my list since October. In conclusion gently caress all you guys for not recommending it. I loved it. It was beautifully shot and funny as hell. It was like seeing independent film come into its own.

Ratedargh (what does that mean?), The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is just too much fun. Enjoy naked Uma Thurman.

EDIT: I just got it! Rated argh. I thought it was rate dargh.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

How To Train Your Dragon I think my list is a bit esoteric, and there's basically no way I'm gonna get around to watching this otherwise.

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

New one: The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting My hypothesis is that the butler did it.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

New one: The Fantastic Mr. Fox This looks loving lovely and I swear to god I'm going to cut whoever recommends it to me.

Funeral Parade of Roses Another one I saw half of and fell asleep (in my defense, it was 3 am). What I saw, I loved, but I never gave it another shot.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 24, 2011

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

penismightier, I decree that you watch Funeral Parade of Roses because not finishing movies you like is the worst. Also, I have only seen Fantastic Mr. Fox on your list and I wouldn't feel right about recommending that to anything. Regardless of threats.

Well, I'm back in the thread after a long absence. But, hey -- I saw my entire list! I was given Sunset Blvd. last, so:

Sunset Boulevard was a pretty perfect example of what was great about American movies of the era. William Holden was splendid, and Gloria Swanson was spectacularly melodramatic. I think the greatest aspect of the film is in the writing; a terrific satire with brilliant, often funny dialogue. Almost perfect so very little to say.

Now for short reviews of everything else, just for fun:

Requiem for a Dream - Bold and draining, it can be jarring at times and not just due to the content (editing, specifically). Excellent performances. 5/5.
The African Queen - Good, love Bogart and Hepburn in different types of roles. Fairly exciting, too. 4/5.
Spartacus - Well executed, but epics always lose me after a while. Still well worth watching but not even close to the top of the list of favorite Kubricks. 4/5.
Last Year at Marienbad - Resnais has a definite style; it's very smooth. It's easy to get lost but it's a bit like beautiful poetry. Very classy as well. 4/5
Contempt - A new favorite Godard, love everything about it, not much to say. 5/5
sex, lies, and videotape - A strange movie, but quite enjoyable. James Spader is great, and Soderbergh knows how to direct, even if it was his first feature. 4/5.
Aguirre - I liked the progression and I didn't have any problem with the slowness, it just didn't grab me. I need a rewatch, perhaps. 3/5.
Notorious - Less memorable than my favorite Hitchcock's, but I can't get enough Cary Grant or Ingrid Bergman. 4/5.
Easy Rider - I understand where it's coming from but half the movie is American landscape set to hippie music. I suppose that's the point, but it's dull. 3/5.

New list!

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. The Conversation - Probably a big oversight on my part. Gene Hackman tears it up.

5. L.A. Confidential - Kevin Spacey's in this and it's a neo-noir I think!

6. Napoléon - I have this on my computer and I'm pretty excited about it but someone is definitely going to have to force me to watch a five-and-a-half-hour silent because holy gently caress

7. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - I hated this movie as a child but everyone has seen it and many people like it so maybe I was just a dick (I was)

8. Sideways - Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church? I'm already uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure I'll like this

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. Trainspotting - I guess

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Well, I liked L.A. Confidential, but I still don't like Kevin Spacy - when he is on he's on, but so often he just...isn't. Kim Basinger is simply built for noir I think, it has to do with makeup and dress of course, but she has a natural talent and look for it. What happened to Guy Pearce? This was supposed to be his big hit, but I don't remember him at all after.

PDMChubby I'm gonna have to point you towards The Conversation, a great performance by Hackman and almost silly Harrison Ford. The movie raises questions that are so incredibly relevant in today's world of
reduced privacy and the ability to observe others without their knowledge.

1) LA Confidential (1997) - Kevin Spacey just bugs me
2) Shane ¡V I love westerns and whenever I have a western marathon this isn't one I think it's the cover
3) Midnight Cowboy ¡V I have no idea why, I think I¡¦ve even had it from Netflix in the past.
4) Rocky* - I started it and fell asleep... a few times, actually.
5) Spartacus*- I get this one confused with Ben Hur, but I have seen clips of both.
6) Ben Hur* - I get this one confused with Spartacus, but I have seen clips of both.
7) The Steel Helmet (1951) I've enjoyed all of the Sam Fuller movies I've seen but this one just hasn't made its way into my dvd player yet.
8) Notorious - (1946) Its on my list of spy movies.
9) M (1932) -
10) Fast Times At Ridgemont High - I've seen the clip of the chick coming out of the pool so many times, but thats pretty much it.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Dukket, you get Notorious because Alfred Hitchcock owns. Also, staircase shot.

I finally did it. I sat down and watched The Godfather Part 2, and it was a rewarding if not entirely satisfying experience. The acting is spectacular, the writing genius, and the pacing is impressive for a movie of that length. But it's a movie that seems confused in what it wants to say about the mafia and their impact on America in the first half of the century. It's good that it makes you think and feel a moral dilemma between wanting Roth to get his comeuppance and the pressing need to stop Michael's self-immolation. It's bad that it seems to ultimately lionize the Mafia as upstanding citizens who would be just fine were it not for those meddling Jews. Also, the cinematography is great but I found myself wishing the movie was more formally exciting from time to time. Still, 9/10.

I also watched several other films that I had on my theoretical short list: The Lady From Shanghai, Network, Inception, Earrings of Madame De..., and tonight, 8 1/2.

I liked 8 1/2 the most of any Fellini I've seen yet, it's a solid 9/10 for me. The harem sequence is particularly brilliant. I will never understand the Fellini parade obsession or dance scene obsession but he can occasionally pull off things I'm not sure any other director is or was capable of. Earrings of Madame De... surprised me as well, I'd not have imagined myself getting so invested in a period piece romance. But Ophuls was a maestro with the camera and the characters have a realness that makes you feel empathy at each of their lowest moments.

Network is a great film that doesn't really require any attention to form to appreciate. It's simply a well-written, well-acted portrait of the descent into madness. The Lady From Shanghai is kind of like Chinatown before Chinatown, a mostly daytime noir where the main man is wildly out of place in a culture that has no room for him. Orson Welles owns. Inception is whatever.

As for my list:
1) Citizen Kane- Rewatch from previous viewing in high school.
2) 2001- Long, Kubrick.
3) Lawrence of Arabia- Long, sounds awesome so I hate myself.
4) Children of Paradise- Long.
5) The Gold Rush- No valid excuse.
6) Blade Runner- Terrible friends.
7) Jules and Jim- Scratched DVD.
8) Andrei Rublev- Long.
9) The Wild Bunch- Terrible friends.
10) The Magnificent Ambersons- I don't own a VHS player.

Films watched so far: City Lights 9/10, La Dolce Vita 8/10, The Godfather Part 2 9/10, Network 9/10, The Lady from Shanghai 8.5/10, Inception 7/10, Ugetsu 9/10, 8 1/2 9/10, Earrings of Madame De... 8.5/10, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 8.5/10.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb! I'm giving you the pleasure of watching The Wild Bunch. Yelling at your terrible friends afterwards is suggested but not required.

penismightier posted:

Ratedargh (what does that mean?), The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is just too much fun. Enjoy naked Uma Thurman.

EDIT: I just got it! Rated argh. I thought it was rate dargh.

You got it! It's also the start of my email address and looks like complete gibberish at first glance.

As for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Wow, that was a lot of fun. I can see a kindred spirit existing between Baron Munchausen and Don Quixote and it makes sense why Quixote appeals to Gilliam despite being unable to make the movie. This one thrusts you into the world it has created and, as per usual with Gilliam, he doesn’t hold your hand to explain the internal logic. Munchausen is ancient and his helpers have special powers. Why? It doesn’t matter, they just do.

I think Gilliam still has the capacity to think as a child would while writing/creating a movie but is still mature enough to make the story compelling to adults. I found Time Bandits to work in a very similar fashion even with the dark elements. Thanks penismightier for selecting this.

New List:

1)Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) *NEW* Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

Finally watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh, Our Man in Havana has a different tone than those two Greene/Reed films you mentioned but it's still great.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies is a great love letter to U.S. film, especially directors that Scorsese loves. There's great anecdotes, snippets of interviews and a lot of interesting context to great movies. One thing I would say is that I think it works best having seen most of the films he mentions, especially the ones for which he shows extended clips. Without that context there's a lot of spoilers and, even with Scorsese setting things up, things aren't as revelatory.

Updated list:

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
I'll be the one to give you Ryan's Daughter. Have fun.

Madame de... really is a great film. I really loved the story, and was pleasantly surprised by its sense of humor. The costumes and set design were absolutely spectacular, and the cinematography really highlighted the opulence of the sets. I also enjoyed the rather ambiguous ending, as much as I generally hate a lack of clear resolution. And I ended up feeling bad for the General, having to pay for those drat earrings three times over.

New List:

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Amarcord I've heard less good things about this one compared to Fellini's other work, but he hasn't failed me so far.

Notorious I thought I'd seen this, but when I looked up the info nothing seemed familiar.

Ikiru More Kurosawa.

Bringing Up Baby Hawks, Hepburn and Grant? Sign me up.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville, Madame de..

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
tokillthesunflower, I've seen all of Kurosawa's most famous movies, and Ikiru is my favorite. Don't worry; guys can cry at the end of this one; it falls under the Guy-Cry Code.

I just finished The Thin Red Line, and that movie absolutely blew me the gently caress away. It wasn't even just good; it was transcendental. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I gave it a 98 on Criticker (and I'm one of those users who tries consciously to use all 101 scores).

There are three things Malick did that I loved about the film. First was the multiple voice-overs. What was one thing to Col. Tall was another to Staros and still another to Witt. The posthumous Japanese voiceover was especially memorable.

Then there was the storytelling structure. I loved that Malick didn't dick around with exposition but threw the viewer into the poo poo with the cast. It felt great not being coddled by a movie. It's five minutes in before you even realize it's a period piece (and even then the movie never makes any real effort to show it off) and halfway through before you even get a good look at a Japanese soldier.

Finally, the cinematography was perfect in nearly every shot. The way every soldier just blended in with the surroundings was incredible. The shot near the beginning of the soldiers in the tall grass—their helmets mixing in with the green of the top and their uniforms with the brown of the stems—is one of the most ingenious shots I've ever seen. I'd almost believe Malick terraformed the loving island just to suit his vision.

All of this added up to make a movie where I believed every emotional moment: John Bell's Dear John letter, Welsh's grief at Witt's death and the secret envy he so obviously felt... even the Japanese general stammering, "You'll die too" and the Japanese soldier telling Witt he didn't want to kill him. I really think this is the best war film I've ever seen.

Anyway, Peaceful Anarchy, I have every intention of adding in The Thin Man, but I want to knock out a few more first...

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line

Blackmail: So this is Hitchcock's first talkie.
Blazing Saddles: My Mel Brooks experience is limited. May as well go for one of the big ones.
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia: The closest I've ever seen to a Peckinpah movie was his nephew making Sliders completely jump the shark. I could use a violent Western.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover: All I know is Helen Mirren, Tim Roth, rated X, and weird as poo poo. I have no idea whatsoever what to expect.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Sideways: I'm not sure if I'm in this movie's target audience, as I don't drink and I'm not middle-aged.
Slacker: Randomly-picked movie. Looks just weird and indie enough to be fun. I need a good 90s indie movie to wash out the last one I watched, an intractably unfunny little-known mess called My Life's In Turnaround.
Terminator 2: I saw it as a kid, but I remember so little (and I was in a room with people who never shut up in front of or away from movies) that I don't feel right saying I've "seen" it.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 25, 2011

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

Slacker: Randomly-picked movie. Looks just weird and indie enough to be fun. I need a good 90s indie movie to wash out the last one I watched, an intractably unfunny little-known mess called My Life's In Turnaround.

As a lifelong Linklater lover (alliteration!), I don't know why it took me until last week to watch this movie, but I thought it was amazing. The next best thing to watching it again would be to recommend it to you.

Stroszek was just so perfectly weird. It had the kind of bizarrely poetic Herzog motifs that I was expecting, but they far exceeded anything I anticipated. Once Eva left for Vancouver, the film descended into this brilliant vortex of eccentricity that culminated in a welcome conclusion with an overexcited dancing chicken. I will definitely be seeing it again because there's just so much content to chew on.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Kull the Conqueror posted:

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.
Hate being the guy that hasn't seen any movies of the above guy, but I've heard great things about this movie and will put it on my list someday.

Can't say much about Network, it is near perfect. This thread has put me on a mini Holden run, and I must say everything he's been in he's been amazing and he got overshadowed by a couple of performances in this movie. Good satire and great performances.

New List:

1. Duck Soup - And now for something completely different. Graucho has some of my favorite quotes ever. However, I've never seen a Marx brothers film.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Black Swan - Not enough newer movies on this list. Kind of interested in it, don't know much about it other than it's nominated for stuff.

4. The Social Network - From one network to another. With it being this time of year, I figure I might as well see one of the movies favored for best picture.

5. Psycho - I have not seen this movie in a very long time and remember zero details outside of the shower scene and the stairway scene. I remember not liking it too much, but I was also really young.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Up - There's only 2 Pixar films I haven't seen, and I've kind of been going in order by critical acclaim, so I'll throw this up there before Cars.

8. The Silence of the Lambs - I've seen bits of this, but never the entire thing.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 9/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 9/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9.5/10

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Our Man in Havana - At first, the tone seemed very off to me. It was a lighthearted romp about accidentally becoming a spy and robbing the government blind! Hooray! In the end I think it works quite well even though at first the jokey nature of the movie didn’t seem to fit. It’s almost like The Informant only Alec Guinness’ accidental spy isn’t a complete sociopath, just a desperate man who wants to provide for his daughter. The transformation in his character makes the movie, though. As it’s expected, his lies pile up and he has to deal with them and slowly he starts to realize the dire nature of his situation...terrific facial expressions from Guinness. Overall, I don’t think it’s a great one but it’s a good piece of entertainment that takes a couple choice shots at the incompetence of government. It lends validity to the jokey atmosphere that he was able to fool the agency for so long.

For you, marioinblack, I ask that you see The Social Network. Try to see it before the Oscars on Sunday if possible. Just a perfect storm of great performances, cinematography, script and soundtrack. Hope you enjoy.

Updated List:

1) Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

7) Phenomena - Argento is hit an miss. Loved Inferno and Suspiria, hated Opera. Borrowed this from a friend and should probably watch it soon as I've had it a while.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

Finally watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our man in Havana

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh, we meet again. Since you like those Godard films Breathless is a pretty safe bet (unlike his later work).

Ryan's Daughter was not a disaster, but it sure was an underwhelming wannabe epic. For a film with a pretty strong lead performance, an interesting supporting cast and fantastic cinematography one really would expect more, but there's a disconnect between individual scenes and a cohesive whole. The romance feels kind of hollow, the commentary on war shoehorned in and the closed community mindset is very well done but like the rest of the film lacks depth. I dunno, I can't pick out major individual problems and, when I look back, the material is ripe for an excellent film but it just doesn't come together. Oh well.

Updated list:

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

So I love the gently caress out of Funeral Parade of Roses. I knew I was gonna - I was really into For the Damaged Right Eye. Visually it's somewhere between Godard and Obayashi. The editing is unpredictable as hell but still somehow on rhythm. The b/w cinematography is crisp and flawless. I really like Japanese experimental film. Also, there's a starred review on Criticker which says roughly "this movie is terrible because there's gay sex scenes."

PA, try 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, because people keep recommending it to me. Scope it out.

New List:

How To Train Your Dragon I think my list is a bit esoteric, and there's basically no way I'm gonna get around to watching this otherwise.

The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting My hypothesis is that the butler did it.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox This looks loving lovely and I swear to god I'm going to cut whoever recommends it to me.

New one: Primer I like this already because it's 77 minutes, and I maintain that 80 minutes is the ideal movie length. I am a child.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10)

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Penismightier, you get How to Train Your Dragon because it's a nice little animated film worthy of being seen. We all need a break from the classic and the unexplored from time to time.

I have been on a flurry of TSPDT 100 movie watching in the past two or three weeks, and the assigned film, The Wild Bunch, was a long-awaited conclusion to a viewing that began over a year ago. And it is awesome. The two bookend shootouts are of course the "moments" of the film, but I was just as impressed by Peckinpah's complete disregard for the meaningful existence of females as anything except prostitutes and whores. Good on you, Sam! I also watched The Gold Rush, All About Eve, and Blade Runner, which belong in the highest tier of love I can have for films. Double Indemnity is close but I felt like the second half of the script lacked the zip of the first half. Stagecoach also owns, although I wish the Apache raid was slightly less mythological and unbelievable. The performances of Claire Trevor and the drunk doctor both owned, and the dolly up on Wayne owned, and John Carradine owned. Basically the movie owned except for that one part which kind of sucked except for the stunts.

New List:
1) Citizen Kane- Rewatch from previous viewing in high school.
2) 2001- Long, Kubrick.
3) Lawrence of Arabia- Long, sounds awesome so I hate myself.
4) Children of Paradise- Long.
5) Jules and Jim- Scratched DVD.
6) Andrei Rublev- Long.
7) The Magnificent Ambersons- I don't own a VHS player.
8) La Strada- More Fellini, sounds really awesome though.
9) The Seventh Seal- I thought this was longer than it is, I will probably watch it of my own accord soon so don't bother picking it.
10) Intolerance- Long. Long. Long. Silent. Long. Birth of a Nation is terrible, but Broken Blossoms owns. Long. I once read for class an essay that meticulously broke down the pacing and length of every section of this movie to make it into a math puzzle. Groan.

Films watched so far: City Lights 9/10, La Dolce Vita 8/10, The Godfather Part 2 9/10, Network 9/10, The Lady from Shanghai 8.5/10, Inception 7/10, Ugetsu 9/10, 8 1/2 9/10, Earrings of Madame De... 9/10, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 8.5/10, The Wild Bunch 9.5/10, The Gold Rush 10/10, Blade Runner 10/10, Stagecoach 9/10, All About Eve 10/10, Double Indemnity 9.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Penismightier, you get How to Train Your Dragon because it's a nice little animated film worthy of being seen. We all need a break from the classic and the unexplored from time to time.

Now, is this gonna be one of those things where I see it and I get all bummed that I didn't get to catch it in 3D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Daunte Vicknabb you get Citizen Kane.

Amadeus was spectacular. Antonio Salieri is one of the most compelling characters that I have seen in a movie. The acting, sets/costumes, and especially the music make this a truly great film. Unfortunately, I will never get Mozart's laugh out of my head. Ever.

I also watched Pulp Fiction and I loved it. The dialogue is, of course, amazing. It's definitely one of my new favorite movies.

1. Amadeus Eraserhead - This looks wholesome.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. Pulp Fiction The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Lawrence of Arabia - But it's soooooo long! :qq:

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 26, 2011