Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Someone answer my ACTUAL LEGAL QUESTION thanks: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&pagenumber=78&perpage=40#post388381846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I know a few health care attorneys. $275/hr mid-level associates

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I know a few health care attorneys. $275/hr mid-level associates

That low? Tough world.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

atlas of bugs posted:

I wish there was a one-sentence explanation for the everyday American that explains why law school is actually a terrible idea and doesn't lead to millions. As it is now, I can't be bothered to get into a long discussion about why law school is horrible for almost everyone at almost any price.

I seem to remember these numbers coming up somewhere in the thread, and it's my default answer when I'm pressed for time: "Each year, about 44,000 JDs graduate and attempt to fill about 37,000 positions that require a JD. Of those 37,000, only about 6,000 or 7,000 are the six-figure jobs that can actually make law school debt worth it."

Yeah, it's two sentences, the numbers are approximate, and it doesn't include the "die alone" part of the equation, but it's a quick answer and it has served me well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Advance 30 hours and we can probably start taking a look at your problem.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Advance 30 hours and we can probably start taking a look at your problem.

Crowd-sourcing legal advice would be so cool and also completely violative of the ethical rules.

I wonder when the legal profession will update some of the more antiquated parts of the ethical rules.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I probably posted this last year and didn't get a response, but as evidenced by my continued attendance in law school, I don't mind a fruitless pursuit.

TYLA/ACTL National Trial Competition Regionals were last weekend and I advanced to the Nationals for the second year in a row. Did anyone here compete in a Regional? If so, did you advance? If so, are you interested in a beer or something in Houston in April?

For any 1Ls reading this, I have had three job offers (and accepted one of them) as a direct result of my participation in this trial competition. While it may be sad for a 32 year old man to be participating in a pretend trial, I recommend it because of the amazing breadth of evidentiary knowledge you can develop.

This may be a derail for the Law Journal/Order of the Coif folks in this thread, but I think legal academia is terrible and didn't want to participate. If I got nothing else from trial competitions, I got great hands-on knowledge of the Federal Rules of Evidence.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Former Everything posted:

This may be a derail for the Law Journal/Order of the Coif folks in this thread, but I think legal academia is terrible and didn't want to participate.

I think this is true of most people on law journals though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Former Everything posted:

This may be a derail for the Law Journal/Order of the Coif folks in this thread, but I think legal academia is terrible and didn't want to participate.

See, the thing is, legal academics don't have to, they basically show up less than their students.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
February Bar Exam tomorrow... need wishes of luck from the internet to pass.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

HooKars posted:

Good luck!! Which state?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Good luck, HooKars!

My husband is sitting the CA bar...again. :smithicide:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Good luck!! Which state?

PA. I was so spoiled with the Missouri bar - I didn't have to sit for the MBE portion and each MO essay only tests on one area of the law, there is non of this multi-part nonsense that allows a state to get in 20 different areas of law in 6 questions. Not feeling overly confident about where I stand in terms of knowing the material. Two weeks of time off from work really wasn't enough to make me feel good about this. I've got a grasp on most subjects but some I've had to skip completely, and I really didn't have a chance to do many practice problems.

Save Me Jeebus posted:

My husband is sitting the CA bar...again.

Good luck to him!

HooKars fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2011

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Good luck HooKars! The PA bar is really not that bad. At least it wasn't last summer. There was only one subtopic in one essay that I had no clue about and never would have gotten, everything else was pretty straightforward. Too bad I doubt I'll ever get to use my PA bar membership...

SMJ, is your husband taking it in Ontario? Maybe I'll sit next to him. I'll be the morbidly obese smelly guy with the pasty, acne-ridden skin, long greasy hair, and anime dragon shirt.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
This might be a stupid question, but would law schools look down on a Pass/Fail course? I know they don't count for the LSAC, but I was wondering if it would factor into a decision...

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Linguica posted:

Good luck HooKars! The PA bar is really not that bad. At least it wasn't last summer. There was only one subtopic in one essay that I had no clue about and never would have gotten, everything else was pretty straightforward. Too bad I doubt I'll ever get to use my PA bar membership...

SMJ, is your husband taking it in Ontario? Maybe I'll sit next to him. I'll be the morbidly obese smelly guy with the pasty, acne-ridden skin, long greasy hair, and anime dragon shirt.

But...that could be any one of us...

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Paramour posted:

This might be a stupid question, but would law schools look down on a Pass/Fail course? I know they don't count for the LSAC, but I was wondering if it would factor into a decision...

Short answer is no, longer answer is I suppose it's a remote possibility it could make the slightest of differences if the admission dean had a bug up their rear end and if it was some last resort tie breaker. Basically don't sweat it if your GPA is still good.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 22, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Paramour posted:

I had like three P/F at a tiny, lovely school and I got into Duke (where I am now) and piles of other places so I don't think so, no.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Linguica posted:

Yup, he's in Ontario. I'm bummed I'm not there this time. When he did it in Pasadena last summer I made a nice hobby of drunkenly tapping on the convention center windows and watching the test takers scatter like roaches.

Anyways, good luck Linguica! And all other test takers this week. Although there are no jobs, I hope you all get barred regardless.

And if anyone is selling, I'm buying CO bar study materials.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HooKars posted:

Not feeling overly confident about where I stand in terms of knowing the material.

You'll do fine HooKars. Everyone thinks they will fail. Until they pass. You've done this once before and passed. Just think of the poor saps who are taking it for the second or third time.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Superior Court of the District of Columbia posted:

Dear entris,

This is to confirm your date for grand jury service beginning February 22, 2011. Your panel will meet every M/T/W/Th/F until March 25, 2011. Report to...

Grand Juror - FAQ posted:

Am I expected to report each day that is listed on my summons?
You are expected to attend each day that you are scheduled for the entire length of your service. You will report each Monday through Friday, Monday through Wednesday, or Wednesday through Friday, as indicated on your summons. Grand Jurors serving on a 3-day-per week panel should report to their regular place of employment on any weekday they are not required to serve.

Holy poo poo, I think I have to show up for grand jury duty every day for a month.

How the gently caress am I supposed to work?

/at least there's wi-fi access apparently?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

wacko_- posted:

You'll do fine HooKars. Everyone thinks they will fail. Until they pass. You've done this once before and passed. Just think of the poor saps who are taking it for the second or third time.

I've done this twice before. But I definitely felt more confident before. 14 full days to study 15 PA subjects, the 7 MBE subjects and all the PA distinctions. There are certain subjects I legitimately haven't even looked at and other subjects that I never took in school and weren't on the other bars - namely federal income tax. I've done maybe 30 practice MBE questions and today was my first day looking over the past test essay questions, which predictably has caused me to freak out a bit since I seem to know nothing.

It's namely a problem of issue spotting. I'm not familiar enough with the material to come up with it all on my own. Once I see the sample answer, I'm all "oh of course" but I really just don't have this poo poo down because I've given a cursory glance to everything.

I really do think there is a greater than 50% chance I could fail.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 22, 2011

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

You'll do great. Good luck! :cheers:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So, I got a job at a real law firm, as a lawyer. I still have a massive amount of student loan debt, but my salary is decent for a city this size. I'm not posting this to brag, if anything I have some weird survivor guilt going on. I just wanted to post it to show things aren't 100% hopeless for someone in my shoes (middle of the pack in class standing, 3T school). So, yeah.

Also, good luck to all bar takers.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Save me jeebus posted:

Yup, he's in Ontario. I'm bummed I'm not there this time. When he did it in Pasadena last summer I made a nice hobby of drunkenly tapping on the convention center windows and watching the test takers scatter like roaches.

Anyways, good luck Linguica! And all other test takers this week. Although there are no jobs, I hope you all get barred regardless.

And if anyone is selling, I'm buying CO bar study materials.

Colorado bar study materials? I may be interested.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HooKars posted:

Good luck!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I went to REBLaw at Yale this past weekend.

What I am about to share is completely true and totally happened:

I was at the asian panel and one of the attorneys talks about the importance of coalition building and mentions that when he shared his people's experience (he's South Asian and Muslim) of being targeted by police with the AFRICAN AMERICAN groups both groups saw that they had to deal with similar things and it helped them understand each other.

LATER- During the QA session this large black woman stands up and says "I'm SHANEQUA and I'm a 1L at HOWARD UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL and I wanted to say that I don't think coalition building is really possible. The only interaction I have with asians is the ones that run the nail shops in my neighborhoods and takes money from the community and gives nothing back. They don't even speak ENGLISH! They just come in to my communities and take everyone's money and give nothing back and don't hire no black people."

At this point everyone is shocked and jaws are on the floor...and then SHANEQUA continues:

"and YOU people..." motioning to the South Asian attorney, "the only time I talk to you people is when I call a help line, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU PEOPLE, I WANT TO TALK TO AN AMERICAN."

ps: Good luck HooK and other bar takers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HiddenReplaced posted:

I went to REBLaw at Yale this past weekend.

What I am about to share is completely true and totally happened:

I was at the asian panel and one of the attorneys talks about the importance of coalition building and mentions that when he shared his people's experience (he's South Asian and Muslim) of being targeted by police with the AFRICAN AMERICAN groups both groups saw that they had to deal with similar things and it helped them understand each other.

LATER- During the QA session this large black woman stands up and says "I'm SHANEQUA and I'm a 1L at HOWARD UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL and I wanted to say that I don't think coalition building is really possible. The only interaction I have with asians is the ones that run the nail shops in my neighborhoods and takes money from the community and gives nothing back. They don't even speak ENGLISH! They just come in to my communities and take everyone's money and give nothing back and don't hire no black people."

At this point everyone is shocked and jaws are on the floor...and then SHANEQUA continues:

"and YOU people..." motioning to the South Asian attorney, "the only time I talk to you people is when I call a help line, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU PEOPLE, I WANT TO TALK TO AN AMERICAN."

ps: Good luck HooK and other bar takers.
Oh for gently caress's sake.
Law school is way to easy to get into now.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
My dad is thinking about becoming a patent agent and was looking into taking the patent bar this summer.

What's the best way to prep for the patent bar? Is BarBri good for this?

Second, I'm starting 1L in the Fall, and after I'm done traveling I have about a month to kill before school starts. My dad asked me to consider studying for it with him.

If I take and pass the patent bar before 1L, will that improve my chances of landing a 1L SA position? Is doing this a gigantic waste of time and I should instead spend July reading trashy romance novels?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Heard a very sad story about a 2L at texas dying recently under massively suspicious circumstances. Anyone at texas able/willing to tell me what's going on?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Feces Starship posted:

Heard a very sad story about a 2L at texas dying recently under massively suspicious circumstances. Anyone at texas able/willing to tell me what's going on?

Haven't heard a peep.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

entris posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I have to show up for grand jury duty every day for a month.

How the gently caress am I supposed to work?

/at least there's wi-fi access apparently?

Don't worry about missing work. Your $5/day allowance will make up for it. Don't forget to report that income to the IRS!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do they at least give you free lunch?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

tau posted:

Colorado bar study materials? I may be interested.

queenbruin at gmail

Yes I'm too cheap for plat.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I'm not eligible for the juror fee bc I'm employed.

I don't know if we get free lunch yet.

On the other hand, posting from the courtroom on my droid is pretty cool.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Feces Starship posted:

I haven't heard anything other than what's in the papers:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/UPDATE-Family-member-says-Jessica-Fertitta-was-1022348.php

She was in one of my classes this semester but I didn't know her at all.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Colorblind Pilot posted:

My dad is thinking about becoming a patent agent and was looking into taking the patent bar this summer.

What's the best way to prep for the patent bar? Is BarBri good for this?
Download single-chapter copies of the MPEP from here, go through the exam questions at mypatentbar.com, get familiar with what information is in which chapter and develop a CTRL+F strategy to find the answer within that chapter fast. Then take and pass the exam. Your best bet is to just pick out a word or phrase from the answer that's likely to be unique to it, like "deceased" for this one.

BarBri et al are complete wastes of money with regards to the patent bar, since it's open-book and you can take it any time.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

entris posted:

Yeah, I'm not eligible for the juror fee bc I'm employed.

I don't know if we get free lunch yet.

On the other hand, posting from the courtroom on my droid is pretty cool.

I've been asked to go for jury duty 5 times and I always send them a fax stating that I don't want to do it and then I don't show up. No warrants for my arrest that I'm aware of.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I got a summons for grand jury duty in Arizona. I loved the idea of being away from my lovely job for four months so I could just hang out and exercise my subpoena powers. My luck, I was an alternate so far down the food chain I never saw the inside of a court room.

Also, anyone interested in Colorado bar materials, I have someone who is looking to sell his. PM me with your info and I'll pass it on to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

IrritationX posted:

Also, anyone interested in Colorado bar materials, I have someone who is looking to sell his. PM me with your info and I'll pass it on to him.

several posts above posted:

queenbruin at gmail

Yes I'm too cheap for plat.