Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I have come to you tonight to talk to you about a lesser-appreciated part of Lego history: Modulex. I did a history post on the Lego-Maersk relationship recently, so I figured I'd do another one.
The last time I heard about Modulex, it was when Eric Harshbarger did his Calista Flockhart ASCII art translation using the Modulex letter bricks. It's fairly amazing and really large.

Info page here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy crap, yeah, I didnt appreciate the scale of those Modulex blocks.

Modulex:Lego:Duplo:Quatro. Is that about right?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

SynthOrange posted:

Pretty much.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
I for got that Mosaic was done with Modulex letters. So awesome.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, like I said above, they're ~5/8 Lego size, so they're not really 'in system' but they can be integrated in a few specific cases.

They also give Lego children something to play with.

e: A 1x1 Modulex brick is also a cube, as I think you can see from these images, rather than the 4:5 ratio of Lego bricks.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 22, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dear Lego:

Please make a Brick Daddy keychain, that I may buy 500 of the fuckin' things.

Thanks,
Sockser

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
So is the stud on a Modulex brick the same diameter as a system rod?

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Yeah, like I said above, they're ~5/8 Lego size, so they're not really 'in system' but they can be integrated in a few specific cases.

e: A 1x1 Modulex brick is also a cube, as I think you can see from these images, rather than the 4:5 ratio of Lego bricks.
These were the two changes made to specifically appeal to architects. The scale was chosen to be a closer match to typical architectural models, and the 4:5 width to height ratio was pretty useless to architects compared with a 1:1 ratio. I believe they were working on feedback from actual architects who had attempted to use normal Lego, so they had reason to believe there was a market.

I'm not sure what Modulex had in the way of plates, but I would guess they were half-height rather than third-height for similar reasons.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This minifig freaks me out a bit

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
Toys R Us online is doing Buy One, Get One 50% off for LEGO till Feb 26. Finally going to get the Motorbike I've been looking at for a while but didn't want to spend $40 on.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Toys R Us online is doing Buy One, Get One 50% off for LEGO till Feb 26. Finally going to get the Motorbike I've been looking at for a while but didn't want to spend $40 on.

The sale is in-store as well.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Mine GO BOOM posted:

drat, this would have helped me get Fire Brigade.
Speaking of modular buildings, something came in the mail for me today.

The box was oddly huge, and packed with a lot of paper. I wonder why.

So many pieces... I guess I won't be on my computer for a while.
It's already looking to be the best 80 dollars I've spent this year!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Hoooly poo poo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Thank you Toys'R'Us... This was the result of the ongoing deal there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA29fyRSIAk

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

So, Lego Thread, what's the best way to get more train stuff? My collection has a ton of bricks, but trains need things like wheels, couplers, and tracks. Are there sets that have an excess of those pieces, or is eBay the best bet?

I could build cars out of my collection, and I'd like to expand the Emerald Night train set (after motorizing it.)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bricklink is probably the best bet. I've had decent luck buying off there.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was at the Lego Store yesterday on my day off, looking to spend the $30 in rewards I still had left from BrickCon. Got a couple of large cups (including a pile of red tiles for my MoC), and noticed something weird. I was looking at those Lego Education minifig packs (city and historical/fantasy), and every single female has the same head. Eye wrinkles with a beauty mark. Even on the kids.
They seemed overly pricey at $50, too.

The Maersk cargo ship was sold out, too; guy said they went fast. No more info on S4 minifigs beyond 'April'. Considering how early S3 showed up here, I'd start keeping an eye out for them next month, especially in the Seattle area or west coast.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Pagan posted:

So, Lego Thread, what's the best way to get more train stuff? My collection has a ton of bricks, but trains need things like wheels, couplers, and tracks. Are there sets that have an excess of those pieces, or is eBay the best bet?

I could build cars out of my collection, and I'd like to expand the Emerald Night train set (after motorizing it.)

Bricklink is great for wheels and whatnot. A word of warning, some store charge less for already assembled train wheels then they do for the individual parts, some charge more. I've found in a few cases it was cheaper to buy the 2 wheels, axle and holder separately then to buy it already snapped together.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Elendil004 posted:

Thank you Toys'R'Us... This was the result of the ongoing deal there.
Nice, we only got the 7938 Passenger Train, our first train set. Also my Space Pimp set came in the mail today. No other set I've had in a while brought me back to the days I was 7 years old building space ship, everything about the set is cool. It has purple and gold all over it, an air scoop for the engine, shoots, a trunk that can hold other figures that you plan to give concrete shoes to, and more.

And it is very, very high on the swooshable scale, even for adult hands.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Pyroclastic posted:

I was looking at those Lego Education minifig packs (city and historical/fantasy), and every single female has the same head. Eye wrinkles with a beauty mark. Even on the kids.
They seemed overly pricey at $50, too.

Something about those sets screams "we made way too many of these pieces and need to get rid of them"

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pagan posted:

Yeah, Bricklink is the best way to go. It's not cheap no matter how you slice it. You're better off if you're going the Emerald Night, Power Functions route though. That stuff's a little cheaper. Wheel sets will be over $1 a piece, though, which can add up pretty fast.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
An 8480 Technic Shuttle arrived in the mail today. I had to sort and count all 1368 pieces to make sure it was all there.

My wife's wanted this thing since it came out in 1995, she still has a completed order form stashed somewhere in the house, she never asked her parents because she knew they couldn't afford it.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 5, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10219&cn=419&d=328

such a tease!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pagan posted:

Elendil004 posted:

Bricklink is probably the best bet. I've had decent luck buying off there.

Watching you two reply to one another in this thread is hilarious.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

So when is the new wave of stuff coming out? These current sets didn't really have that umph.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

EvilJoven posted:

An 8480 Technic Shuttle arrived in the mail today. I had to sort and count all 1368 pieces to make sure it was all there.

My wife's wanted this thing since it came out in 1995, she still has a completed order form stashed somewhere in the house, she never asked her parents because she knew they couldn't afford it.

This should make up for getting arrested on her birthday last year.

This is really awesome. :3:
You need to explain that last part, though! Don't think we're letting you get away with just that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 28, 2017

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

EvilJoven posted:

I forgot I posted this in E/N, not GBS. I figured you would have all seen it by now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389450

Holy poo poo, glad you are doing better now.

I don't have the spare race car driver that I thought I did, but would anyone be interested in posting their spares? I need to get an elf for someone.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Veeb0rg posted:

The sale is in-store as well.

Thanks to you two, I went and bought 2 Ice Dragons and 2 Golden Staff Guardians. They're my first sets from these series and I was kinda hesitant to buy the Ice Dragons since their piece count is on the low side, but gently caress it, I want all those white and blue bits.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Thanks to you two, I went and bought 2 Ice Dragons and 2 Golden Staff Guardians. They're my first sets from these series and I was kinda hesitant to buy the Ice Dragons since their piece count is on the low side, but gently caress it, I want all those white and blue bits.

That suspenders guy from Pharaoh's Quest, along with the baseball bat from s3, can be used to make a pretty good Bear Jew minifig.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I really wish they'd just make a set of small jet-style space fighters. They keep darting around the idea, like in space police or in the upcoming alien invasion set, but I really wish they'd go all out with that theme.

I really like the smallish spaceship in http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=5973-1 and I'm somewhat depressed there aren't more in that same vein.

e: Man, I think I'm going to break down and find some stuff on ebay even though using used legos sort of creeps me out.

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 24, 2011

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
^^ I agree. Lego needs more "generic" space sets that would mix well with the other space themes. What better way than some cool fighters?

Also. The toy store downtown is absolutely trying to rid the old Spongebob sets and they're unbelievably discounted. Convince me not to buy some. :ohdear:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

einTier posted:

The last time I heard about Modulex, it was when Eric Harshbarger did his Calista Flockhart ASCII art translation using the Modulex letter bricks. It's fairly amazing and really large.

Info page here

...Calista Flockhart?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Knormal posted:

...Calista Flockhart?

Yeah, that's what I said. I guess he really likes Calista.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, my wife likes her shuttle a lot. Unfortunately the micro motor that controls the satellite's solar panels was either broken when it arrived, or broke when I dropped it yesterday while checking to make sure all the pieces were there. :toot:

Oh well, already ordered a new one on Bricklink and I'm looking through the store I ordered from to see if there's anything I want, seeing as we're already paying for shipping.

That website is like crack. In fact, it's a little too much like dealing drugs. The first order I ever made was with was a local guy who allowed pickup so I literally drove to some strange guys house on a Saturday morning, handed him some cash and got a little Ziploc baggie full of sweet sweet bricks.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Final Gloom posted:

^^ I agree. Lego needs more "generic" space sets that would mix well with the other space themes. What better way than some cool fighters?

Also. The toy store downtown is absolutely trying to rid the old Spongebob sets and they're unbelievably discounted. Convince me not to buy some. :ohdear:

Where's this downtown? I'd pick up a few for my 5-year-old niece if they're that cheap.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Final Gloom posted:

Take out a loan, buy all of them, sit on them for two years, and then do this

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember a few years ago when my mom surprised me with this set for Christmas. That was a good morning :dance: And then it was either a month later at my birthday, or next Christmas she gave me the The Batmobile: Ultimate Collectors' Edition. I think, somehow, she knew better than me that Batman Lego was awesome.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 24, 2011

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I knew I shouldn't have opened that. It's still awesome though :colbert:

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Glass Joe posted:

I knew I shouldn't have opened that. It's still awesome though :colbert:

Don't ever say that! There's nothing worse than people who buy toys and then don't open them, nothing!

Maybe there are a couple of things, but man, those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Oh hey, another finished MOC from me. Didn't even take that long if I can say so myself.

If you wanna read some random poo poo I thought up for it, just go here: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/254563