Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I've done a fair bit of eBay selling myself, but I can't really add much. I just wanted to tell kapalama that that was an excellent, thorough, and well explained answer.

I will say that I have used USPS exclusively, and did find it very easy to weigh at home and print postage and have the mailman pick it up. Also, if you need to use the post office, never go at lunch time or 1 hour before closing. You're much less likely to hit a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
What happens if you keep driving an overheated car?

My old clunker has a massive coolant leak due to a giant crack in the water pump housing that's about $680 to fix. Like, you put in coolant and it leaks completely out the bottom within 90 seconds. Also the temp gauge is broken and it's usually 75-82 degrees F here.

I am moving away in two months. I am in no way interested in keeping the car, preventing further damage to it, recouping my costs, etc, etc . I do not plan on selling it under the pretense of "Fix this problem and it'll be just fine!", since we've been driving it on and off for a few weeks before I noticed the problem (so there's certainly already damage done). It still starts and runs. I've already tried Bar's Leaks, and of course it didn't plug up such a massive hole.

I know driving without coolant and a temperature does terrible damage to an engine, but what actually happens when you keep driving it hot? Will it just turn off on the highway and refuse to start? Make funny noises? Catch on fire? Explode? I'm tempted to keep using it until it physically won't move anymore, but I want to know what exactly happens so I'm prepared for it when it comes time to tow it to a junkyard. Since there's no temp gauge I don't even know when it will get too hot to run. Unless there's a chance it will explode or make me crash, in which case I'll junk it right now.

I tried to look online for an answer and all I can find is "Don't do it it's terrible for the engine and you'll end up paying for massive repairs!" or a generic "It'll blow the engine!" Yeah, I know. This is fine, this is not what I'm asking. What does "blow the engine" entail exactly?

Edit: VVVV Yikes! Okay, not taking any chances. Thanks! VVVV

LuckyDaemon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 21, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LuckyDaemon posted:

I know driving without coolant and a temperature does terrible damage to an engine, but what actually happens when you keep driving it hot? Will it just turn off on the highway and refuse to start? Make funny noises? Catch on fire? Explode? I'm tempted to keep using it until it physically won't move anymore, but I want to know what exactly happens so I'm prepared for it when it comes time to tow it to a junkyard. Since there's no temp gauge I don't even know when it will get too hot to run. Unless there's a chance it will explode or make me crash, in which case I'll junk it right now.

There's channels in the engine block that the coolant is pumped through. The coolant keeps the metal under a certain temperature. Should it rise above that, certain things can happen:

The block and the cylinder heads can expand outside of their designed operating range, warping, and exacerbating the coolant leak, and dumping coolant into your oil.

The gas spraying out from the injectors can detonate upon hitting the now superheated cylinder walls instead of undergoing the usual spark plug-triggered controlled burn.
Detonation will gently caress up your pistons and rods in a heart-beat.

The excess temperature will also cause your oil to burn up faster, causing you to lose lubrication at the piston rings. Then you're risking metal and metal rubbing, which will cause your engine to seize and become a paperweight. There's a very small chance that the seize could be so violent at highway speeds that it could throw off your steering control and lurch you off the road.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
That's a risky proposition. There's no way to accurately tell how long you can run a car without coolant. It might run 30 minutes at a time several times, it might seize up or crack and lose compression within minutes. Lots of variables.

Honestly - You can probably get away with driving short distances for awhile.

As for what happens, burning oil faster is not the key part. The temperatures can get too hot even full of oil and cause a head or or almost any other important part of the engine to crack or the pistons to seize and you will lose compression.

Without compression it will die and won't crank.

Also, did you get more than one estimate on the problem?
When you say water pump housing do you mean the case of the water pump itself? Or the part of the engine the water pump bolts to?
In most older cars they are very easy to replace and not very expensive....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

As for what happens, burning oil faster is not the key part. The temperatures can get too hot even full of oil and cause a head or or almost any other important part of the engine to crack or the pistons to seize and you will lose compression.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it'd be more likely for coolant leaking into the cylinders to wash the oil off than for it to coke from high temperatures. It is a water (coolant)-cooled engine after all, no matter how good the oil pressure and flow is, temperature is governed by air flow over the radiator and coolant circulation.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

LuckyDaemon posted:

What does "blow the engine" entail exactly?

It can also catch on fire. I was driving a car for someone, and they were convinced their gauge was off (when it was just really low on coolant), and the car caught on fire while I was driving down the road.

I pulled over and got out, and it kind of burned the car up.

On another occasion when I had a cracked water pump, I drove a car for several weeks, 2 miles at a time with no problems. Not recommended but if you have an oil temp gauge ( I did) you can kind of get away with it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
blowing the enging means cracking the block or breaking something in it that requires the engine to be replaced. Catching fire isn't blowing it. That just happens when generate a retarded amount of heat in the engine compartment and hoses catch fire or if the firewall is penetrated by it.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
There's also the real possibility of a largish metal piece of the engine coming through the hood.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Question about cellular biology: I've long accepted that DNA is the blue prints by which a cell knows how to behave and how to interact with other cells, forming cell walls, organs, neurons, becoming white or red blood cells and so forth. But I've never really understood how. In laymans terms, how does one go from a complex molecule like DNA, to taking the structure of that molecule and turning it into specific directions for the organelles (I think?) to follow?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Proteins, the robots of life. They signal and do everything. DNA's instructions are carried out via transcription.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_biology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcription_%28genetics%29

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Why was it during the 2009 presidential campaigns that obama was always referred to as drinking the koolaid

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

wigtrade.cc posted:

Why was it during the 2009 presidential campaigns that obama was always referred to as drinking the koolaid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

wigtrade.cc posted:

It means kind of buying in uncritically to something - it's a reference to the mass suicide by Jim Jones' cult in Jonestown in the late 70s by drinking drugged koolaid. Presumably, although I'm not sure about what context you're referring to it from, it would've been an accusation that Obama was a blind, uncritical believer in Islam/Marxism/Martian-Kenyan voodoo hoogledy boogledy/some other dumb poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TetsuoTW posted:

It means kind of buying in uncritically to something - it's a reference to the mass suicide by Jim Jones' cult in Jonestown in the late 70s by drinking drugged koolaid.

:eng101: Actually, it was Flavor Aid, not Kool-Aid. Flavor Aid evidently just has the best PR department in history.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

It means kind of buying in uncritically to something - it's a reference to the mass suicide by Jim Jones' cult in Jonestown in the late 70s by drinking drugged koolaid. Presumably, although I'm not sure about what context you're referring to it from, it would've been an accusation that Obama was a blind, uncritical believer in Islam/Marxism/Martian-Kenyan voodoo hoogledy boogledy/some other dumb poo poo.

The first half of your post is correct, the second is not. It's an accusation that a supporter of Obama was following him blindly and simply voting for him because others were. It's not targeted towards the man himself.

It's a stupid insult because you can make the same claim about any supporters of any politician with about equal validity.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elijya posted:

The first half of your post is correct, the second is not. It's an accusation that a supporter of Obama was following him blindly and simply voting for him because others were. It's not targeted towards the man himself.
I knew his supporters had been accused of it, but the dude specifically said:

quote:

obama was always referred to as drinking the koolaid
Hence my uncertainty about the context.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If they were talking about following Obama, surely they would have said either the dude was drinking it, or that Obama "was mixing the sachet of Kool-Aid in 2 pints of water"?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

TetsuoTW posted:

I knew his supporters had been accused of it, but the dude specifically said:

Hence my uncertainty about the context.
If Obama is accused of drinking his own Kool-Aid, it amounts to him believing his own press.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I think he's saying that Obama was synonymous as "drinking the Kool-Aid", which would make sense.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

BorderPatrol posted:

Don't do this. Get rid of your debt, there's no reason to pay interest to try and maintain a stupid credit score.

Actually there's a good reason. If you have $30,000 cash and $30,000 in student loans, you can invest your $30,000 cash while making monthly payments on the loans. After twenty years or so, you'll have $80,000 cash assuming 5% interest. If your student loan interest is lower you'll only spend $40,000 or $50,000 maybe while improving your credit score, and now you have a sweet bag of $80,000 too.

It's something to keep in mind, and I'm sure the BCS forum can explain it better and give more accurate examples.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WillieWestwood posted:

If Obama is accused of drinking his own Kool-Aid, it amounts to him believing his own press.
This makes sense.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I think he's saying that Obama was synonymous as "drinking the Kool-Aid", which would make sense.
And this makes even more.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know of any long interview-type videos on youtube talking about anything? Just as long as its comprehensive english and a controlled environment. I need some practice material for my court reporting thingamajig. I already listen to podcasts and fora.tv, but it's good to have more sources to draw from.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Knightmare posted:

Actually there's a good reason. If you have $30,000 cash and $30,000 in student loans, you can invest your $30,000 cash while making monthly payments on the loans. After twenty years or so, you'll have $80,000 cash assuming 5% interest. If your student loan interest is lower you'll only spend $40,000 or $50,000 maybe while improving your credit score, and now you have a sweet bag of $80,000 too.

It's something to keep in mind, and I'm sure the BCS forum can explain it better and give more accurate examples.

And more realistically, everyone (seemingly) carries a credit card balance or a car loan which is more than double the interest rate of student loans.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of any long interview-type videos on youtube talking about anything? Just as long as its comprehensive english and a controlled environment. I need some practice material for my court reporting thingamajig. I already listen to podcasts and fora.tv, but it's good to have more sources to draw from.

TedTV, and the videos Google themselves present may be what you are looking for. Google regularly has 45 minutes talks/interviews.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

kapalama posted:

TedTV, and the videos Google themselves present may be what you are looking for. Google regularly has 45 minutes talks/interviews.

Are you talking about Google Developers? They don't seem to be that long. I do use TED, but those are one person talking and 20 minutes at most. Looking for 30-60 minutes at least.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Dunno if these'll be what you're looking for, but as a science fan I've found some really cool lectures and panel discussions from guys like Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Ken Miller and others. See if these fit your needs:

Hour long Ken Miller lecture on Evolution/Intelligent Design followed by about 1 hour of Q&A, a fair amount of discourse on biology, legal matters and public relations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

A fascinating hour long physics lecture from Lawrence Krauss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Krauss/Dawkins panel discussion, a little over an hour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLctxRf7duU&feature=channel

In fact, the RichardsDawkinsdotnet YT channel has a whole bunch of lengthy interviews, discussions and lectures you may find suitable under the playlists section: http://www.youtube.com/user/richarddawkinsdotnet#g/p. Since you're looking for multiple speakers, most of these are at least two people, and the Four Horsemen discussion is four.

What exactly is it you're practicing?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 21, 2011

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

I was watching some of the Conversations with History series last week, longform interviews with host Harry Kreisler. eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZJWyGh1EI

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What does "The Jump" mean in blogging? As far as I can tell it means absolutely nothing and it looks kind of retarded to see content broken with a single sentence saying "More after the jump!" or "Hit the jump to see the rest."

Here's an example: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/02/15/geektastic-facebook-avatars-pics/

EDIT: Yes, I realize it's a lovely article in a lovely blog. Sometimes StubleUpon brings me to these things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

What does "The Jump" mean in blogging? As far as I can tell it means absolutely nothing and it looks kind of retarded to see content broken with a single sentence saying "More after the jump!" or "Hit the jump to see the rest."
It's a lovely way of saying this

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mak0rz posted:

If you get blog updates through an RSS feed, sometimes the update would contain only the first graf or so and you'd need to click through to get the content after the jump. Also some rss readers only show a small preview of a blog post. So after the jump becomes a way of saying "there's more to this post after this".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Here's an example: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/02/15/geektastic-facebook-avatars-pics/

EDIT: Yes, I realize it's a lovely article in a lovely blog. Sometimes StubleUpon brings me to these things.

If you initially see a blog post come in through your feed reader, the last line of the short form of the post should be the "after the jump" statement, followed by the link to the full post.

A lot of lovely blogs don't have a way of censoring that comment in the permalinked long version of their posts, so if you're reading the long version of the post on their site with ad blockers installed, you might not see the banner or flash ad they'll often place at the jump, so what happens is you continue reading content right after they say "after the jump" with no meaningful physical jump.

Blame bad content management and blogging practices.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Never thought it would be feed related, as I never use them. Thanks for the info!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I've always taken it to mean that the rest of the article is found via hyperlink, scrolling, or by a hyperlink to an anchor on the same page (which you could also get to by scrolling). The point is that the introduction is enough to make you want to see more, but you have to scroll past some advertisements or go to another page that loads more advertisements (thus giving the writer more ad impressions).
The analog would be a newspaper or magazine article that is continued on another page. The reasoning is about the same; the more valuable first couple pages, and above-the-fold, can have many more articles in it if they aren't all completed there, and the reader also is exposed to other content and ads when they look for the rest of the article.

That particular article didn't appear to have that anywhere, just the phrase, so that's probably why you're confused. Either they had no idea what it means, or they forgot to add the link, or the link is there but it took me more than 2.4 seconds to find it so it might as well have not been there.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Elijya posted:

Dunno if these'll be what you're looking for, but as a science fan I've found some really cool lectures and panel discussions from guys like Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Ken Miller and others. See if these fit your needs:

Hour long Ken Miller lecture on Evolution/Intelligent Design followed by about 1 hour of Q&A, a fair amount of discourse on biology, legal matters and public relations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

A fascinating hour long physics lecture from Lawrence Krauss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Krauss/Dawkins panel discussion, a little over an hour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLctxRf7duU&feature=channel

In fact, the RichardsDawkinsdotnet YT channel has a whole bunch of lengthy interviews, discussions and lectures you may find suitable under the playlists section: http://www.youtube.com/user/richarddawkinsdotnet#g/p. Since you're looking for multiple speakers, most of these are at least two people, and the Four Horsemen discussion is four.

What exactly is it you're practicing?

dokmo posted:

I was watching some of the Conversations with History series last week, longform interviews with host Harry Kreisler. eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZJWyGh1EI

Thanks, these are what I'm looking for. Long form discussions with two or more people. The history of series has tons of stuff. I'm practicing my stenography skills so I just need stuff to listen to.

I found that TVO has a lot as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/tvochannel

These may be one speaker, but they are longer and sometimes I use those as well. If they are using complex language, it's also good practice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UCBerkeleyEvents

Has tons.

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.

Elijya posted:

Question about cellular biology: I've long accepted that DNA is the blue prints by which a cell knows how to behave and how to interact with other cells, forming cell walls, organs, neurons, becoming white or red blood cells and so forth. But I've never really understood how. In laymans terms, how does one go from a complex molecule like DNA, to taking the structure of that molecule and turning it into specific directions for the organelles (I think?) to follow?

It helps if you realize that proteins do practically everything. The signal for a cell to explode, or for an organelle to be created, or for something to move from one part of the body to another is a very specifically shaped protein. This protein's instructions for its creation lie somewhere in the miles of DNA in the nucleus.

To oversimplify, the flow of information is such: DNA --> RNA ---> amino acid ---> protein.

The DNA is just a strand of letters--nucleotides. Other proteins find the right stretch of DNA for the protein that's needed to be made, and that small area is copied into mRNA (similar to DNA). Every three letters of mRNA (codon) codes for an amino acid. During translation, a bunch of amino acids are strung together based on the mRNA instructions, and this string of amino acids naturally coils and folds based on its bonds into a specifically shaped protein. The protein goes on to do its job in the cell.

Hope that wasn't too condescending or too confusing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Knightmare posted:

This is assuming there's zero risk in investing. Would you borrow $30k in student loans to invest it? No, but that's effectively the same thing.

Be debt free and get over it.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

BorderPatrol posted:

This is assuming there's zero risk in investing. Would you borrow $30k in student loans to invest it? No, but that's effectively the same thing.

A 30 year treasury bond pays 4.7% so you could do it risk free, assuming your student loan rate is locked in.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

BorderPatrol posted:

It's still worth it to invest, even with risk, as long as you don't assume the risk of defaulting on your loans.

And yes, I would borrow $30K in student loans to invest the money. That's called being savvy and realizing the difference between good debt and bad debt.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

BorderPatrol posted:

Gotta go with Liface and Zegnar. There are plenty of low risk/low reward investment opportunities, such as bonds. If it's a choice between putting your money into one of those options, or paying off a debt with an interest rate lower than the return rate of those investments, the smart move is to invest your chunk of change and continue paying off the debt at its scheduled pace, assuming you can. Obviously don't let several thousand dollars worth of credit card debt with an 18% interest rate sit while you invest in an extremely risking investment you can only expect 20-30% return on, but if you're smart with your money you'll probably avoid anything with interest that high in the first place.

Even millionaires will finance their fancy cars, houses and boats because of this.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've come down with a bit of a cold. Naturally, nasal congestion came with it. I have pseudophedrine which helps me breathe through the day, but it WIRES me so I can't really take any before bed.

Is there a non-prescription decongestant that won't do this so I can not suffocate while sleeping?