Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Retsalb posted:

If you need an explanation about how to look stupid and do wheelies, you probably shouldn't try do them at all.

We're talking about supermoto's here. This is what they are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I found it easier to learn wheelies by clutching up in 1st in a parking lot. Just get going to a rolling 5mph, clutch in, rev up a bit, clutch out quickly and stay on the gas. For a long time I wouldn't even reach the balance point, I'd just get the front off the ground a bit and use the torque in first gear to keep it up for a few seconds before running out of gearing. After a month or so of occasional practice I've started hitting the balance point and can cruise with less throttle. I've done a few clutch-ups in second but you really need to rev the beans off it and the speeds are higher. If you gently caress up in first gear you're only going 15mph or so.

That said, first gear is touchy and you'll want to slowly work up the amount of throttle needed to loft it - don't just balls out wide open throttle and dump the clutch.

I'm not too keen on power-wheelies and trying to bounce the front-end off the ground - seems a bit ham-fisted for my delicate sensibilities.

For me personally I liked doing clutchups in second. In first they came up REALY fast and I didn't like that. I started with throttle snap power wheelies in first and then switched to clutchups in 2nd once I got comfortable with the front end getting off the ground. Clutchups in second come up a lot slower and are a lot more manageable.

The real fun is in shifting on the real wheel though. Get comfortable with BP first, because in order to shift gears on a drz while on the rear wheel you gotta rock it past the balance point, so when you roll out to shift you don't drop the front end past the point where the bike can sustain it.

And watch out when you kick it up a gear and it drops back into peak torque...

If you're not sitting on the passenger seat you're doing it wrong. Bonus is the farther back you sit the easier it is to hit that really high brake lever comfortably.

And as always, work up to it. Just like how it's possible to learn to ride fast safely without ever crashing, you can learn to rock balance point multi-gear wheelies without crashing if you just take it easy and push your limits slowly.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 22, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I just want to say, I've crossed into the dark side and I like it. The DRZ I got has BALLS. Took it on a 5 hour ride on Vancouver island, rode through snow, love it.

Pics to come in a few days, as well as a few questions.

First question I'll just throw out there: It has the 440 kit, full Yoshi RS-3 exhaust, oversized valves, a K&N air filter and the FCR 39mm carb. When fully warmed up in neutral and I quickly go WOT it bogs down. When moving and doing this, it'll have a slight hiccough. Jetting not set right? Something to do with the pumper carb?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It might just be that its F'ing cold out

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

MrZig posted:

I just want to say, I've crossed into the dark side and I like it. The DRZ I got has BALLS. Took it on a 5 hour ride on Vancouver island, rode through snow, love it.

Pics to come in a few days, as well as a few questions.

First question I'll just throw out there: It has the 440 kit, full Yoshi RS-3 exhaust, oversized valves, a K&N air filter and the FCR 39mm carb. When fully warmed up in neutral and I quickly go WOT it bogs down. When moving and doing this, it'll have a slight hiccough. Jetting not set right? Something to do with the pumper carb?

Pumper carbs are supposed to fix this by pumping extra gas when you yank the throttle open rapidly, but i'd still not recomend doing it on a mechanical carb. Twisting the throttle smooth and quick should give you the best response :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The accellerator pump is probably pumping too much on throttle open. There are some good tutorials on thumpertalk about how to set that correctly for the DRZ

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God damnit, all this loving talk of wheelies is making me rabid. I'm gonna have to borrow my dads KLR650 this weekend and go burnout at the hollywood sign or something.

I have been bikeless for pushing 6 months and its terrible. I wish I could've just saved up and bought a DRZ originally, instead of the ex250 which everyone told me I'd be bored of in 6 months which I was almost to the day.

Could've had a bike by now but I used my cash to start a small business :downs:

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

soy posted:

God damnit, all this loving talk of wheelies is making me rabid. I'm gonna have to borrow my dads KLR650 this weekend and go burnout at the hollywood sign or something.

I don't think that will burn out unless you douse it in gasoline and light it on fire.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I intended to work on wheelies last weekend on the CRF50 but the drat thing wouldn't run worth a poo poo. If I can't get this thing figured out the DRZ or the KDX will have to work for learning.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ohwandernearer posted:

I don't think that will burn out unless you douse it in gasoline and light it on fire.

Somehow I imagine dousing a KLR isn't really needed for it to catch fire.

e- yeah, that was easy to find. http://vimeo.com/18941679

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Does anyone have DRZ parts? Looking for the vacuum petcock, right hand mirror, edge tail light, starter clutch & starter clutch cover (left engine side cover), and starter relay.

Also if you have a brembo/better caliper & bracket that fits a 320mm rotor, that'd be swell. My bike has a 320mm rotor but stock caliper - its quite funny seeing half of the rotor rust.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

MrZig posted:

Does anyone have DRZ parts? Looking for the vacuum petcock, right hand mirror, edge tail light, starter clutch & starter clutch cover (left engine side cover), and starter relay.

Also if you have a brembo/better caliper & bracket that fits a 320mm rotor, that'd be swell. My bike has a 320mm rotor but stock caliper - its quite funny seeing half of the rotor rust.

Z3n has some stuff for sale in the marketplace thread, you might want to check with him.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Any reason not to get this shipped to NC? It looks pretty awesome to me, my friend has a KLX250s and I like it. His is dirt setup and without all that extra stuff though but still rules. Plus I could get some dirt wheels and kill 2 wishes with one bike.

thanks
edit
links help
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641393

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

Any reason not to get this shipped to NC? It looks pretty awesome to me, my friend has a KLX250s and I like it. His is dirt setup and without all that extra stuff though but still rules. Plus I could get some dirt wheels and kill 2 wishes with one bike.

thanks
edit
links help

I had that exhaust on my KLR from the PO. It was loud as poo poo and fell apart. Exhaust coming out where it wasn't supposed to come out.

That's a really nice looking bike though.

I want a sumo REALLY bad.

edit: I'm seriously driving myself crazy looking for one. There's nothing unless I want to pay $9000 for a new DRZ or wr250x

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 23, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This might solve the 'tell me what bike to buy' first bike problem. Hopefully it's a good little scoot. Rumored to be $3,600:

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/tha-hooligun-by-cleveland-cyclewerks/

HFL article before it goes behind paywall:

HFL posted:

What if there was a cool little supermoto that you could buy as your first bike? What if it was super cheap, robust and unintimidating? What if it weighed less than 300lbs and cost less than $3,600? Well, that bike is about to become a reality. We’re exclusively revealing these images and details of a pre-production Cleveland CycleWerks Hooligun, a new supermoto/dual sport destined for the American market later this year.

One of the best things about Cleveland is its baby-faced visionary/designer Scott Colosimo. Rather than send us some boring press release, Scott says, “It is quite simple, we need more options for bikes in the USA. Below is the story of why this bike, why now, and what the gently caress.”

“CCW started with classic style motorcycles because we knew we could not come out with UFOs in the beginning; in terms of motorcycle design. The motorcycle culture is very slow to change and I get that. So, CCW is entering the market with some very beautiful neo-retro bikes that look classic, but have some nice modern features. We have to first establish ourselves in the industry and firmly establish our company as people who make cool looking bikes that are affordable and quality built. We are doing that and we will continue to push forward. Plus classic style never dies, I truly believe in timeless design.”

“If we launched CCW with some futuristic designs that really pushed the envelope of current motorcycle design, then we would have met our ultimate death. So what you are seeing is the development of a meticulously planned motorcycle company, one I have been planning in my head for the last 15 years. Think of CCW as the sick mind of the crazy designer that the bosses say yes to. Think of how many bikes are 70 percent there. gently caress that, we push our designs to get closer to cool then most companies.”

“Compare our Heist design to a Honda Rebel and you get the picture. Honda builds Rebels, they are poo poo in stock form (design wise), but 2 months of chopping and customizing and you get a pretty cool bobber. Well, we just manufacture the Heist as a bobber from the beginning, because no one is telling us, ‘No, you can not do that.’”

“So that leads us to the Hooligun. This is our first bike that is of a modern design. Lets just say that CCW has made some very powerful friends over the past 3 years and we were able to leverage some of our contacts to bring this product to market. Perhaps a quick reference to the Suzuki DR200 is in order. Our motor is an overhead cam 250cc oil-cooled motor. Some may know, others may not know what I am talking about. Because of certain relationships, we were able to use a great platform to redesign and redevelop a great chassis. Because of a strategic joint venture, we can now produce this bike, it is exciting. Our linked rear suspension is aluminum, our very simple frame is very stiff and light weight. Our components are proven performers and the design is freshly completed just a few months ago. CCW has partnered with the best to bring some of the freshest and newest designs to market.”

“We are already shipping this bike outside the USA. We are awaiting EPA approval in the next few weeks/months for this product. When we get closer to the release in the USA, we will release details about the bike. Until then, we can not say too much. It is hard selling to the world as many times the USA is not first to have to product. There are many regulations we have to meet in the USA and we take that very seriously. A product does not launch in the USA until all compliance is met and we are certain the bikes will favor the US population. There are many changes the bikes need for USA homologation versus EEC and Africa, etc. Every country comes with it’s own set of rules.”

“Whats next? CCW will continue to develop our classic range, as well as develop some very forward-looking designs. The Hooligun is still a little safe (design wise) for my taste, but hey, we have to start somewhere. We aggressively developed a full line of bikes over the last three years and we are going to back off the gas a little bit on new designs, to ensure the build quality and part quality stays high. There are still a few new bikes in the works, but with the Heist, Misfit, Ace and Hooligun now on the market, we are proud to have a full line of excellent bikes to sell and get more people riding.”

“It is too easy to hop into a cage. Hopefully riding becomes more accessible to more people and kids start thinking about buying their first bike instead of a first car.”

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Husky double-postin, 630 SM hooning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GuIDbaews

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 23, 2011

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A cheap, simple 250 motard? Yes please.

I think the only other budget brand of motard that has been kind of available depending on the laws in your area is the Pitster Pro XTR250(which is chinese).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ribsauce posted:

Any reason not to get this shipped to NC? It looks pretty awesome to me, my friend has a KLX250s and I like it.
links help
This guy is actually coming to my state this weekend to buy another motorcycle which is awesome. Can anyone comment on it? I'm set to buy it unless someone says no. I just spoke with him on the phone, he still has the stock parts, just a couple scratches on plastic from dirt riding is the problems. I would probably buy the quiet insert for the exhaust (actually would for sure) and maybe a quieter one down the road. HE said you can get dirt wheels for 500.

Anyway, anything bad about this?

thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ribsauce posted:

This guy is actually coming to my state this weekend to buy another motorcycle which is awesome. Can anyone comment on it? I'm set to buy it unless someone says no. I just spoke with him on the phone, he still has the stock parts, just a couple scratches on plastic from dirt riding is the problems. I would probably buy the quiet insert for the exhaust (actually would for sure) and maybe a quieter one down the road. HE said you can get dirt wheels for 500.

Anyway, anything bad about this?

thanks

Barring any issues with the KLX250S, which I don't think there are, it seems like a fine deal. I'd check the reputation of those BB kits, as it sucks to have the engine munch itself because of a lovely BB kit.

I'd say go for it, as long as you understand that the 250 isn't going to be great on the freeway.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't see much freeway use with this bike, I will do a lot of 2 lane state highways but 3 hours cruises down the interstate are not in the cards with this bike. I am just looking for a fun supermoto and also something I can throw dirt wheels on and ride offroad around here.

The big bore pick has good reviews, the exhaust I am seeing mixed things about, but that can be replaced if needed. I'm going to get the quiet core first.

He says he has almost all the stock parts so I guess I will get all that too. If it matters, my friend loves his KLX250s dirt one and I feel comfortable on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sounds like a good choice then. Worst case you can part it out an make basically all of your money back :)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

This might solve the 'tell me what bike to buy' first bike problem. Hopefully it's a good little scoot. Rumored to be $3,600:

Shame there's not a dealer for these guys near Seattle (or WA at all), I'd really love to check them out. They get a lot of press on HFL and they sure seem to be doing a really cool thing.

Good-looking, inexpensive, low-displacement bikes that are well made? poo poo yes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, seems like it could be a decent product. According to the site, the CR version is OHV, but the HFL article seems to indicate the SM is going to use a completely different OHC engine which should hopefully improve on ~15hp.

The CR seems like the sort of product that painfully edgy urban hipsters SHOULD be buying instead of 70s metal they aren't capable of taking care of/riding. With the same sort of performance what's more.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Spiffness posted:

I was reading on the site and maybe I missed it but who makes the motors for those bikes? Are they Cleveland Cyclewerks own designs?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

I was reading on the site and maybe I missed it but who makes the motors for those bikes? Are they Cleveland Cyclewerks own designs?

USA-legal Lifan 250s for the old ones. They seem to be implying that Suzuki are supplying OHC motors for the SM.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
$3,600 seems a bit expensive for a first bike, especially a small displacement. Even more so when DRZ's can be found for not a whole lot more. I love the colors and design though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Eh, I don't know. Not a *new* bike. $3,600 isn't far from stealing business from 'bought a new scooter' territory. Plus you get a new bike, not a used one with farkles.

If they really are reliable machines, it's a pretty sweet deal. Plus the idea of having a US bike option that's interesting and not complete poo poo is really cool.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
With my DRZ and it's Cylinder Works 440 kit & Wiseco piston + E model base gasket, should I be putting in premium fuel? I've been running 91 octane in it, since I'm unsure if 87 would cause knocking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a good idea. It's only 40c or so and the higher compression piston and base gasket up compression fairly significantly.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
What should a stock 400SM (well, 3x3 + jets) be fed? Mine didn't come with the owner's manual.

And actually, speaking of not having the manual, is there some trick or magical incantation to get the steering lock to work? The damned thing doesn't want to lock regardless of what position the handlebars are in.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I just use the 87 on my 400sm with the same specs. For the wheel lock, you have to kind of twist it to the right while pushing in. I don't use it though since it's not really going to stop anyone and if you ever lose the key, you're screwed.

My husky seems to be making a different noise, any one care to help me diagnose? You can hear it right after you see my turn the choke off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC7ImNYRajk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cross posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBS_zpU3Lk&feature=player_embedded

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Empire Waffles posted:

I just use the 87 on my 400sm with the same specs. For the wheel lock, you have to kind of twist it to the right while pushing in. I don't use it though since it's not really going to stop anyone and if you ever lose the key, you're screwed.

My husky seems to be making a different noise, any one care to help me diagnose? You can hear it right after you see my turn the choke off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC7ImNYRajk

Right now I'm thinking that it's the bearing on the water pump impeller. Yes/no/crazy?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
ugh that KLX fell through, back to the search :(

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

ugh that KLX fell through, back to the search :(

drat, that was a really nice bike. Did it sell or just not sell to you?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Empire Waffles posted:

Right now I'm thinking that it's the bearing on the water pump impeller. Yes/no/crazy?

It appears the sound is coming from the water pump and it doesn't seem to change with the rpm of the motor (I could hear it with the choke engaged as well) so this sounds like a strong possibility.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Clank posted:

drat, that was a really nice bike. Did it sell or just not sell to you?
He is down in Florida but was going to come to Charlotte to buy a different bike, and I am going there tomorrow so I was going to buy it. He still has it, says he might be coming up in a month and if he still has it I will buy it then. I don't want to mess with shipping it

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

My DRZ that I've had for less than a week seized the engine. Its hosed. Initial prognosis indicates it may have dropped a valve. Had no compression in town, could kickstart without using the decompression lever and hold it WOT, but it would just die at idle.

On the highway it had good power for about 10 minutes before outright dying and rattling to a stop in a way only a blown-engine can. Now when I go to kick it over it just stops dead and goes THUNK.

So yeah, my DRZ 440 is hosed. gently caress.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

drat, CA is 0 for 2 on modded DRZ's. Z3n's had head gasket issues due to the bore kit. That really sucks, man. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Two of my valves decided they didnt want to be kept in place; constantly being put down by the man, and decided to escape their linear existance they called life. They made a run for it, hoping to make happy fun time friends with Mr. Piston. So they jumped out, leaping for joy, for freedom. But Mr. Piston didn't want to be friends with anyone, as he was a grumpy old dog, and decided to loving MURDER SUICIDE EVERYONE WITH AN AXE AND STUFF.

(Sorry for the cellphone quality, I didn't bring my DSLR because I didn't exactly expect my engine to loving EXPLODE)

Couple questions.

A) What the gently caress should I do? The head is fubar, the piston is fubar.. Maybe the jug can be saved and I can put in a new piston & grab a wrecker head?

B) Should the PO be held accountable at all? My feelings is yes, I've only owned the bike for 6 days and have put under 1000 miles on it. Seriously, I picked this up last Sunday and it happend today, Saturday. hosed. What exactly should I tell him?

C) Oh and what the gently caress even causes two valves to just get smashed by the piston?

But yeah, this sucks. I'm pretty down and singing the blues tonight.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 27, 2011

• Locked thread