Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

TheUnhorse posted:

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what good stocks are out there with longterm stability and solid dividends?

What suggestions do you guys have, and what should I be looking for? I know the safe bet is generally utilities, are there any standout ones?

My investment journey began when I turned 18 and bought C, then watched in horror as my first and only stock bottomed out to a dollar, so I'm kind of skittish when it comes to direct stock investing.

If you are planning on long term, maybe you should stick to this thread, especially if you aren't a fan of buying individual stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Looking at the NFLX chart, their insane p/e, and knowing that they are approaching a time when they'll have to renegotiate some of their content agreements, I'm thinking I want to bet on their slide. What would you guys recommend, long term puts or simply shorting the stock?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

TacoHavoc posted:

Looking at the NFLX chart, their insane p/e, and knowing that they are approaching a time when they'll have to renegotiate some of their content agreements, I'm thinking I want to bet on their slide. What would you guys recommend, long term puts or simply shorting the stock?

Long term OTM puts. They're pretty expensive, though.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007

Nifty posted:

Long term OTM puts. They're pretty expensive, though.

Yeah, I know I'm not the only person thinking that way. I'll decide for sure Monday.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

TacoHavoc posted:

Many have tried, and many have been burned. Which isn't to say its the wrong call now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/whitney-tilson-netflix-survey-2011-2

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007

Foma posted:

Many have tried, and many have been burned. Which isn't to say its the wrong call now.

Yeah, I agree that everyone that has the service loves it, but I am predicting that content providers will put the screws to Netflix and ruin anything good they have going. Starz, Sony, and Disney (ABC included) all have agreements expiring in a calendar year or less. Everything I've read indicates that the content providers are going to go after more money for the same or more limited content rights. Maybe it's too long a term play now, but I can't see netflix's success continuing on the same trajectory.

Slightly longer term, I see the fundamentals of internet access and how it affects Netflix changing. If Republicans manage to throw a wrench into net neutrality and we end up with a tiered internet pricing structure, or ISPs move to metered bandwidth, all those customers that are thrilled with streaming will suddenly become less enthralled with it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

TacoHavoc posted:

Yeah, I agree that everyone that has the service loves it, but I am predicting that content providers will put the screws to Netflix and ruin anything good they have going. Starz, Sony, and Disney (ABC included) all have agreements expiring in a calendar year or less. Everything I've read indicates that the content providers are going to go after more money for the same or more limited content rights. Maybe it's too long a term play now, but I can't see netflix's success continuing on the same trajectory.

Slightly longer term, I see the fundamentals of internet access and how it affects Netflix changing. If Republicans manage to throw a wrench into net neutrality and we end up with a tiered internet pricing structure, or ISPs move to metered bandwidth, all those customers that are thrilled with streaming will suddenly become less enthralled with it.

So they pay 4-5x as much, its not going to hurt netflix. If anything they'll jack everyones rates up a buck and no one will notice/care. Starz/Sony/Disney aren't going to withhold content altogether.

The net neutrality thing might be a problem, but it isn't going to pass the senate/obama. So you're looking at least 2+ years down the road. Thats a long time for netflix stock to keep going up.

If amazon decided to go seriously into the dvd renting/streaming business, I'd be worried about netflix maybe. But their little "video on demand" thing isn't a serious proposition/competition right now. Actually I don't know why no one else wants to do a cheaper monthly rental service, its all $3/view crap.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 20, 2011

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Baddog posted:

So they pay 4-5x as much, its not going to hurt netflix. If anything they'll jack everyones rates up a buck and no one will notice/care. Starz/Sony/Disney aren't going to withhold content altogether.

The net neutrality thing might be a problem, but it isn't going to pass the senate/obama. So you're looking at least 2+ years down the road. Thats a long time for netflix stock to keep going up.

If amazon decided to go seriously into the dvd renting/streaming business, I'd be worried about netflix maybe. But their little "video on demand" thing isn't a serious proposition/competition right now. Actually I don't know why no one else wants to do a cheaper monthly rental service, is all $3/view crap.

Don't forget the boost they are going to get when Blockbuster is completely liquidated (not just hanging on a dead thread with Chapter 11).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Foma posted:

"We conducted a survey...that showed significantly higher satisfaction with and usage of Netflix's streaming service than we anticipated."

I'm sorry Whitney, but are you completely ignorant of anything related to people under 40 who don't make $1m+?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007

Dr. Jackal posted:

Don't forget the boost they are going to get when Blockbuster is completely liquidated (not just hanging on a dead thread with Chapter 11).

Good points guys. Thanks for the insight.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Never thought I'd have a job where I can honestly say this, but I hate holidays.

MrMojoJak
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks a lot everyone, this is my favorite stock thread to lurk on. So much more interesting than the trolls on yahoo's boards. I was curious what the general consensus about AMD was? I know Intel has better chips, but I've always gone with the better value and don't mind sacrificing a little to save money. I only own a couple hundred shares and was curious if it looks like this stock will drop down or pull itself up over 10?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So how are those gold shorts working out :smug:

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrMojoJak posted:

Thanks a lot everyone, this is my favorite stock thread to lurk on. So much more interesting than the trolls on yahoo's boards. I was curious what the general consensus about AMD was? I know Intel has better chips, but I've always gone with the better value and don't mind sacrificing a little to save money. I only own a couple hundred shares and was curious if it looks like this stock will drop down or pull itself up over 10?

most of the recent run-up was riding on the run-up of a rumor about acquisition by dell.

Not to say AMD has a decent line of chips and they wont have a one-time earning hit because of the sandy-bridge incident. (But that has already touch intel's eps already, and it wasn't too bad).

Only thing that could drive AMD up (that doesn't drive up the general market or the tech-sector) would be surprise earnings/guidance or actual acquisition. Same for the down side, I don't really see anything that could crush AMD down that wouldn't drive the entire sector down.

1400 gold :lol:

at least the market is closed today so we will have to wait until tomorrow to see all the stocks go take a 3% dive.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
RR Donnelly, with a free cash flow yield of about 12.7%, is perhaps the last cheap stock in existence in the US markets. I hope their earnings tomorrow morning are crap; I might want some.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
Anyone have reasons not to hold a REIT in a ROTH IRA over a long term? Dividends not getting taxed is nice.

Specifically looking at DLR because of the tech slant and the constantly growing dividend. COR isn't paying a dividend yet, but news points to it being soonish.

antishock fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 22, 2011

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

antishock posted:

Anyone have reasons not to hold a REIT in a ROTH IRA over a long term? Dividends not getting taxed is nice.

Specifically looking at DLR because of the tech slant and the constantly growing dividend. COR isn't paying a dividend yet, but news points to it being soonish.

High-yield bonds
Any high-turnover active stock fund
Real estate/REIT
Small-cap active fund

are good in Roth(tax-sheltered)... probably best to ask in the Long-Term thread

I used to hold CIM in my Roth for their 15%, and the stock swings between 3.5 (post-div) and 4.3 (pre-div).

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 22, 2011

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobologist posted:

RR Donnelly, with a free cash flow yield of about 12.7%, is perhaps the last cheap stock in existence in the US markets. I hope their earnings tomorrow morning are crap; I might want some.
VSEC
RGR

I think ERTS is tremendously undervalued vis a vis Zynga being valued at $10 billion. I just wish the valuation was done before their last conference call (which is where the 20% spike came in), I would have put every single dollar I owned into it. Now... on paper I know it seems good but in my head the 20% jump looks scary.

edit: i hope i used vis a vis correctly there lol

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 22, 2011

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Oh my poor Windstream. Clearly the situation in Libya makes it more unlikely that rural America will desire high speed Internet.

But on the plus side, the situation in Libya also stops people from wanting open-source Linux software. Roll over and die, Red Hat.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 22, 2011

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

abagofcheetos posted:

So how are those gold shorts working out :smug:

gently caress off, I was able to see the recent run on gold and got out, saving me a few pennies. GLD is approaching its 52 week high, so who knows what's going to happen. I'm figuring it will continue its current trend and fall a bit. Still, it's wildly frustrating and I think I'm just going to back off for now.

E: Today and tomorrow are actually going to be extremely telling. If it can't bust through 139 it's going to fall a good deal.

At least my play on AMERICA'S RECOVERY is paying off big time with FAGIX. Go America! gently caress Gold!

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2011

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

If amazon decided to go seriously into the dvd renting/streaming business, I'd be worried about netflix maybe. But their little "video on demand" thing isn't a serious proposition/competition right now. Actually I don't know why no one else wants to do a cheaper monthly rental service, its all $3/view crap.

Well today, amazon decided to make streaming video free for its prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Demand/b?ie=UTF8&node=16261631

Looks like kind of a small library to me, but its a start to getting competitive.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I had a feeling I should have sold last week. Guess I gotta wait this out.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
the only thing keeping me in the green today is my... NFLX short

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Mr.Brinks posted:

gently caress off, I was able to see the recent run on gold and got out, saving me a few pennies. GLD is approaching its 52 week high, so who knows what's going to happen. I'm figuring it will continue its current trend and fall a bit. Still, it's wildly frustrating and I think I'm just going to back off for now.

E: Today and tomorrow are actually going to be extremely telling. If it can't bust through 139 it's going to fall a good deal.

At least my play on AMERICA'S RECOVERY is paying off big time with FAGIX. Go America! gently caress Gold!

I just don't understand why you would play chicken with a commodity that has consistently gone up every year. Often used as a hedge against currency inflation where the only time it loses value is during period of deflation, not to mention it being such a finite resource (it boggles the mind how little physical gold there is in the world compared against the leverage of the entire investment community). I often think there is more paper gold out there than the real thing. The economic policies of nearly every nation in the world spurns inflation in order to get us to spend. There are so many better commodities to short over gold if you want to make some quick money for instance agricultural products or aluminum, which have historically lost greater value during periods of deflation coupled with overproduction.

CHK is on tear lately with earnings announcement and another shale gas sale.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

owDAWG posted:

I just don't understand why you would play chicken with a commodity that has consistently gone up every year. Often used as a hedge against currency inflation where the only time it loses value is during period of deflation, not to mention it being such a finite resource (it boggles the mind how little physical gold there is in the world compared against the leverage of the entire investment community). I often think there is more paper gold out there than the real thing. The economic policies of nearly every nation in the world spurns inflation in order to get us to spend. There are so many better commodities to short over gold if you want to make some quick money for instance agricultural products or aluminum, which have historically lost greater value during periods of deflation coupled with overproduction.

Consistently gone up every year? We are talking about gold right? Have you ever looked at a 50 or 100yr gold chart?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

greasyhands posted:

Consistently gone up every year? We are talking about gold right? Have you ever looked at a 50 or 100yr gold chart?
Inflation adjusted 50 yr stock charts aren't exactly pretty either.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You don't even have to adjust for inflation for gold to be ugly. "gold consistently goes up year after year" is one of the most misinformed investment opinions I've ever heard. Gold flat lined for 20 years then zoomed into the stratosphere in the last 3-4 years.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2011

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Any opinions on RES? Jack of all trades oilfield services company with huge amounts of recent growth, low debt, and they're slowly and cautiously expanding into international markets.

My main concern is that the short interest is 23.60%. Potential for a short squeeze, but I hate having the feeling that people know something I don't. I've done all the research and I like the company, so at this point I'm looking for reasons to pass.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Shorting gold in a monetary expansion period is crazy let alone ones that resembles stagflation.

Ps exxon mobil is a beast and lucky to not be in a shtf country right now.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Christobevii3 posted:

Ps Petrobras is a beast and lucky to not be in a shtf country right now.

fixed.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
Can someone explain what is going on here:

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:AIB

The stock has been around 0.80 or so for the past few months but looking back a few months on that chart does not reflect this anymore. What went on between Friday and Wednesday? Did it have some sort of reverse split?

What Yahoo! Finance shows:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=aib

EDIT: I am blind, thank you Turkeybone.

Mr. Ali fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 23, 2011

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I clicked and google shows a 1:5 split, so yes.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oil and silver are both climbing. FXEN is up 19% and SLV and SIVR are pulling towards 4%.

Edit: FXEN is back down around 15%-16% and will probably close around 17%. It's a US based oil company with cheap stocks that could climb a decent amount. Makes for an interesting short gain possibility.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I forgot I had increased my HERO holdings by 400% last week and didnt look at anything until today.

Covers my losses from earlier this week.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2011

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Got into POT @ 60. Waiting to see how it goes...they are targeting at $222

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

Got into POT @ 60. Waiting to see how it goes...they are targeting at $222

You do realize that POT just 3:1 split today, right?

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
There has been a lot of excitement around offshore drilling this week, especially in the GoM. Rising oil prices, worries about the Middle East, the Louisiana courts, and a Republican House are putting a lot of pressure on BOEMRE to start issuing deep-water permits soon. Even BOEMRE itself issued a statement saying we should start seeing these permits in the next few weeks.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Ahhhh Zecco gently caress you in the ocular cavity

quote:

Dear Orgasmo

When Zecco Trading first launched in 2006, our focus was to deliver a good, solid service at a bare bones price. In the four and a half years since that launch however, our customers’ needs have evolved quite a bit. While investors today certainly value low commissions, they also demand a great trading service with a rich set of advanced features.

So, we have been working hard to continuously improve the Zecco Trading experience. In just the last year or so we’ve introduced major improvements in our quotes and research offering as well as launched important new tools like Zecco Streamer, Zap Trade and the new Zecco Mobile iPhone app. We’ve also made substantial improvements in customer service and upgraded our core infrastructure to dramatically improve performance and reliability.

To better support this balance between offering remarkable value and continuing to deliver the innovative new technologies, tools and services that Zecco Trading customers require, we are modifying our commission structure. Beginning immediately, our new commission rates are:

* Equity trades: $4.95 per trade*
* Options trades: $4.95 per trade, plus $0.65 per contract

With this change we are no longer offering 10 free trades per month. As before, there are no minimum balance requirements or inactivity fees to open or maintain a Zecco Trading account.

Under this new pricing structure, Zecco Trading’s pricing remains 30% to 50% lower than our competitors.

It's not like $8.99 a trade or anything but still.

quote:

I hope you agree that, when you consider the features, the quality customer service we provide, and the price, Zecco delivers the best value on the Street.

haha no you guys came cheap and that was it.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Guinness posted:

You do realize that POT just 3:1 split today, right?

Yes, I've been watching it for three weeks waiting for the split. I'm pretty confident that demand is going to stay high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Oxphocker posted:

Yes, I've been watching it for three weeks waiting for the split. I'm pretty confident that demand is going to stay high.

I think whatever that $220 target was in reference to the pre-split price, at least I hope it was.