Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
To be honest if you're using wireless to provide a net connection to your main computer on which you want speedy transfers you're retarded. Wireless is for the laptop on the couch or the iPad in the kitchen; not for the office computer.

I see people doing this all time. They have their cable modem plugged into a wireless router right next to their main computer picking up signal via wifi and then they complain about latency and speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

cowofwar posted:

To be honest if you're using wireless to provide a net connection to your main computer on which you want speedy transfers you're retarded. Wireless is for the laptop on the couch or the iPad in the kitchen; not for the office computer.

I see people doing this all time. They have their cable modem plugged into a wireless router right next to their main computer picking up signal via wifi and then they complain about latency and speeds.

The laptop on the couch was the only place I was trying anything out, mostly because I was also breaking in a new sectional this weekend as well. The laptop, my phone, and my iPad are the only things I use wifi on, but they also make up 90% of my home computing. Everything else is wired in with gigE for transcoded video from my office PC.

If you have decent signal and only a few devices though, your wifi should be able to outperform your internet feed. Your wireless router also shouldn't be introducing a tonne of latency either.

I'm not defending a 6" distance wireless connection for a desktop PC, but if moving to a wireless connection drastically alters your internet performance than you have other issues that need to be addressed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PhancyPants posted:

The laptop on the couch was the only place I was trying anything out, mostly because I was also breaking in a new sectional this weekend as well. The laptop, my phone, and my iPad are the only things I use wifi on, but they also make up 90% of my home computing. Everything else is wired in with gigE for transcoded video from my office PC.

If you have decent signal and only a few devices though, your wifi should be able to outperform your internet feed. Your wireless router also shouldn't be introducing a tonne of latency either.

I'm not defending a 6" distance wireless connection for a desktop PC, but if moving to a wireless connection drastically alters your internet performance than you have other issues that need to be addressed.
People can do what they want, but someone mentioned that they were in a building saturated with wifi signals. Even with small distances in a building like that you can get a lot of interference and noise affecting the quality of your signal. Personally, I just have a patch cable hanging around my couch for my laptop since I'd rather not have to worry about signal issues at all (plus it's hard to fight the urge not to do your banking on the couch instead of your more secured wired computer).

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

SeventySeven posted:

Follow up to my Telus install: I plugged my computer directly in to the router and my speeds basically doubled from 6Mbit to about 13Mbit. So I guess the wireless on the Actiontec router is kind of poo poo. Either that or I could try change the channel or something, because my building is saturated with wireless signals (downtown :w00t:). It's not a huge deal because I was planning on running ethernet to everywhere it was needed anyway and for $15/month I can't bitch too much.

Also I'm glad you're reporting a lovely ping on speedtest.net too. I noticed mine was about 150ms which I thought was terrible.

Your Telus guy didn't splice the telephone wires into a home network for you? The installer did that for 4 rooms when i had mine installed.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

cowofwar posted:

People can do what they want, but someone mentioned that they were in a building saturated with wifi signals. Even with small distances in a building like that you can get a lot of interference and noise affecting the quality of your signal. Personally, I just have a patch cable hanging around my couch for my laptop since I'd rather not have to worry about signal issues at all (plus it's hard to fight the urge not to do your banking on the couch instead of your more secured wired computer).

Oh, yeah, in situations like that it can have a bad affect. As a general rule though, there's nothing wrong with using properly setup wifi. There's nothing inherently wrong with using your properly setup wifi for your banking either, but like you said, people can do what they want.

Let's end this derail with something we can both agree on. gently caress Bell up it's stupid rear end in a top hat.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25507992-DSL-TekSavvy-Bell-Tech-not-being-honest-charging-me-100-

Bell is now charging TekSavvy customers opening tickets to have lines tested. Acording to what has been posted in that thread, Bell bills EVERY customer that TS requests work on. TS then looks at each case individually and disputes them with Bell. However, if a Bell tech does not specify the work done on the ticket, Bell rules in favor of themselves leaving TS no choice but to bill the customer.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25507992-DSL-TekSavvy-Bell-Tech-not-being-honest-charging-me-100-

Bell is now charging TekSavvy customers opening tickets to have lines tested. Acording to what has been posted in that thread, Bell bills EVERY customer that TS requests work on. TS then looks at each case individually and disputes them with Bell. However, if a Bell tech does not specify the work done on the ticket, Bell rules in favor of themselves leaving TS no choice but to bill the customer.

They started this awhile ago, when I moved into my new place Bell didn't provision my line properly and it took about four support tickets for them to get it right. I got fed up with the slow speeds and eventually switched to Cogeco. About three months later I got hit with $400 in support ticket related costs from Teksavvy. I disputed them all and they sided with me but I felt bad because they probably had to compensate Bell. This was stuff that was Bell's fault directly, in no way should I or Teksavvy have been billed for it. About this time other users started reporting the same thing and I suspect that it's a blanket rule now.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Shouldn't that be considered anti-competitive behaviour, purposely giving poor service and large fees to customers on an ISP that has every right to use Bell's infrastructure? Not that the CRTC or Bell particularly care about that type of fairness...

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

rscott posted:

I don't know why you Canadians are complaining about your dearth of home grown TV shows, you have How It's Made! :v:
You joke, but that show can be weirdly addictive. It's one of those mill shows that is custom-tailored for "flip, flip, flip, flip...ooh, they're making chainsaws!"

Anyway, anybody seen the Bell/Cable Co submissions on the call to expand the hearing? It's hilarious, mostly because they all boil down to "the CRTC already ruled the way we wanted them to when nobody was paying attention, and we don't see what could have possibly changed."

Well, that, and "this is against the 2006 policy directive", which is actually a fair cop since Bernier's 2006 policy directive is really the font of all this horseshit in the first place. (Along with the Japan-style regulatory capture.)

I did like how they carefully, carefully avoided addressing anything the Vaxination guy said, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How It's Made is the height of "I've seen this 100 times before but I'll be damned if I don't watch again" television.

edit: Eh, not sure how this relates to our internet getting shittier :q:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Martytoof posted:

How It's Made is the height of "I've seen this 100 times before but I'll be damned if I don't watch again" television.

edit: Eh, not sure how this relates to our internet getting shittier :q:

Oh God, that show and "Dirty Jobs" are horrible TV bait. I wish Mike Rowe would come up to Canada more :(

^--Edit: They could do a "How It's Made" on Canada's lovely telcom arrangements!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bonzo posted:

That's been the case for months. When the ISP opens a ticket with Bell, and there's a truck roll, and the Bell tech claims it's inside wiring or the modem at fault, we get billed a DMC charge of $87.70. And often the Bell tech doesn't fix the issue and just marks it "ISP problem" and leaves.

Since it's wholesale, Bell is responsible up to the demarc point so we should've done our own truck roll first, hence the DMC charge. Of course we don't have access to the same tools they do.

Fighting a DMC is a royal PITA - Bell techs very often mark something as an ISP problem when in fact it's a Bell issue, and they're billing department is horrendously understaffed. Basically someone has to pull the entire Bell ticket and verify all the work done before a credit is issued (~1 hour work per ticket) - this all 2+ months after the outage. Bell has no incentive to actually staff the department because it's mandate is to basically hand out money to the ISPs.

Edit: Correct the DMC rate.

Edit2: Here's a favourite DMC reason: "BH=00.00;WS;/Found OK out OTHER-UNKNOWN, FIRE, RODENTS OR INSECTS" - actual reason: Tech forgot to hook up the dslam to the line.

unknown fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 25, 2011

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
There was a little tangent in this thread a while back about ADSL2 access in Montreal through a company called Colba and a bunch of people wanted some updates on it. The thing that makes this company so attractive is that they own their own equipment and would therefore be able to continue offering unlimited internet should UBB pass through in the future. Another nice side benefit is that they offer theoretical speeds of 25/1 for $17.95/month (you have to pay 1 year in advance though).

Bunch of goons wanted some updates on it. Anyways, I called them this week and decided to make the leap to their service and they said that there were three people in my apartment that already have the service. All three of them were getting speeds of over 10 Mbps, with the maximum being 19 and the minimum being 11 (apartment is 1.8 KM from the Atwater central office). Currently, I get around 2.2 on my 5/1 connection so this should be a great speed boost for me. I'll update everyone on the service when I finally get it.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Wow, that looks good. What's the activation/install process like?

The problem being that I'm only at my place in Montreal for weekends a couple times a month, so if it involves a technician visit, I'm out of luck for now I guess. I already have a dry loop with Teksavvy, so hopefully they should be able to remotely activate service, then when I arrive Friday night (with my own ADSL2 modem) it's all hopefully working?

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Pretty painless. I put in my order on the website, the guy called me back within the hour and then went over what I had to do. I got them to deliver the modem to my work place which I'll probably pick up over the weekend and the technician comes to install everything on the 1st of March which is my day off. I canceled my internet service a couple days in advance to avoid any complications so for the next six days, I'll be living like it's 1996 again - using the internet at the library only.

Forgot to add, I'm doing a dry loop with them as well so it's going to be an extra $9.95/month to the price.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

unknown posted:

That's been the case for months. When the ISP opens a ticket with Bell, and there's a truck roll, and the Bell tech claims it's inside wiring or the modem at fault, we get billed a DMC charge of $87.70. And often the Bell tech doesn't fix the issue and just marks it "ISP problem" and leaves.

Since it's wholesale, Bell is responsible up to the demarc point so we should've done our own truck roll first, hence the DMC charge. Of course we don't have access to the same tools they do.

Fighting a DMC is a royal PITA - Bell techs very often mark something as an ISP problem when in fact it's a Bell issue, and they're billing department is horrendously understaffed. Basically someone has to pull the entire Bell ticket and verify all the work done before a credit is issued (~1 hour work per ticket) - this all 2+ months after the outage. Bell has no incentive to actually staff the department because it's mandate is to basically hand out money to the ISPs.

Edit: Correct the DMC rate.

Edit2: Here's a favourite DMC reason: "BH=00.00;WS;/Found OK out OTHER-UNKNOWN, FIRE, RODENTS OR INSECTS" - actual reason: Tech forgot to hook up the dslam to the line.

I just moved and was barely getting 1mbps so I emailed TekSavvy and they saw that my profile was wrong and got Bell to fix it.

I sure as hell won't pay if I'm billed because no one came out to the house.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Bonzo posted:

I just moved and was barely getting 1mbps so I emailed TekSavvy and they saw that my profile was wrong and got Bell to fix it.

I sure as hell won't pay if I'm billed because no one came out to the house.

Profile fixes don't require an on-site (and therefore a DMC). In fact the work was probably done by an automated process and had no human intervention at all. How you got a 1meg profile speaks volumes about Bell's QA process (the port should've been cleared/reset to 5mb when assigned).

I'd put it at around 50% of all DMC are false, and are in 'dispute' with Bell. The late payment fees start stacking up only to be dealt with when BCE is subject to a takeover bid.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

unknown posted:

Profile fixes don't require an on-site (and therefore a DMC). In fact the work was probably done by an automated process and had no human intervention at all. How you got a 1meg profile speaks volumes about Bell's QA process (the port should've been cleared/reset to 5mb when assigned).

I'd put it at around 50% of all DMC are false, and are in 'dispute' with Bell. The late payment fees start stacking up only to be dealt with when BCE is subject to a takeover bid.

I was told by TekSavvy that someone from Bell would be out and to make sure someone was home. Luckily that was moving day so we were at the house. At 2pm there is no sign of a Bell tech. I notice that the previous owner left behind a rather old Bell Sat receiver and there was a dish on top. I think that maybe they had DSL service too so I unpacked my modem and plugged it. All green lights.

So they did nothing to even get my connection going. I also have two large, protective, dogs so there is no way a tech can go to the side of the house and work on the dmarc point without me knowing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is TekSavvy cable in Montreal at all comparable to Toronto? I might end up moving there in the not-too-distant future and I guess it's either them or that awesome ADSL2+ provider mentioned a few pages back.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Is TekSavvy cable in Montreal at all comparable to Toronto? I might end up moving there in the not-too-distant future and I guess it's either them or that awesome ADSL2+ provider mentioned a few pages back.

Not at all, it's super expensive here. Thanks to Videotron!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Has anyone brought up that people with handicaps might have to use more data and therefore be unfairly discriminated against by lowered caps/bandwidth charges? Think blind people getting audio versions of sites or deaf people watching sign languague video instead of listening to things.

If people want to talk "fairness"...

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Has anyone brought up that people with handicaps might have to use more data and therefore be unfairly discriminated against by lowered caps/bandwidth charges? Think blind people getting audio versions of sites or deaf people watching sign languague video instead of listening to things.

If people want to talk "fairness"...

But with Bell for $5 more he can get thousands of hours of audio!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone on Reddit just posted this.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1177801967.png

It was done from a hotel in Korea.

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again

Bonzo posted:

Someone on Reddit just posted this.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1177801967.png

It was done from a hotel in Korea.

That alone doesn't mean much. I used to run IT at posh hotels in downtown Vancouver, and we had 100Mbps pipes just for our clients. I usually took the speed limits off so whoever was there could have fun. Nearly every 4-5 star hotel I know in Vancouver/Whistler has a 100Mbps line just for their guests (true, sometimes rate limited per connection).

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
My new roommate is from Korea. He was pretty shocked at just how slow and expensive the Internet is here, and it took me a while to even explain what a bandwidth cap was. He was flabberghasted. Apparently his old ISP had unlimited downloads for $25 a month, and the average service call had a 30-minute response time.

In other news, gently caress Bell again. My landlord decides to update our Internet to the deluxe package this Tuesday. Our billing cycle ends on Saturday. So Bell closes our account until the rollover.

Plus, they gave us a defective Alcatel Lucent modem / router that literally resets itself if a Steam download lasts more than 5 minutes.

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard

Vergeh posted:

Plus, they gave us a defective Alcatel Lucent modem / router that literally resets itself if a Steam download lasts more than 5 minutes.

Perhaps it is because Steam downloads max out your connection and that has something to do with it. I know when I download stuff off of Steam it maxes out mine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, Steam uses it pretty heavily. I don't think there are any options to limit how much bandwidth it uses, sadly.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I've even tried throttling my total dl speed to 1 Mbps and it still conks out. I think any sort of heavy load on this thing will kill it. It's also not just steam, anything with a high throughput kills the modem pretty effectively, like transferring anything big through my work's VPN.

VVV Public consult?

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 1, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
So I'm off to Shaw's public consult tonight. We'll see how that goes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vergeh posted:

VVV Public consult?

Shaw is having "town hall" style meetings to discuss their plans to implement UBB on their clients.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

less than three posted:

Shaw is having "town hall" style meetings to discuss their plans to implement UBB on their clients.

The official word is that there is going to be no UBB whatsoever, and they want to get all different ideas on what alternatives to a cap based internet we'd like to see. Most of the discussion was having pricing based on speed rather than volume.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finally canceled my Bell ExpressVu account today, citing the CRTC strong-arming as the reason. Hopefully enough others will follow suit to give Bell some good cause and effect.

Of course now I have a useless HD PVR box, maybe I should stuff it and mount it in the living room.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

Of course now I have a useless HD PVR box, maybe I should stuff it and mount it in the living room.

Burn it in the street as a form of protest.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a shaw HD pvr box too that is utterly useless to me. Is there any market at all for these? Can I craigslist it?

It was so drat expensive :(

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
People generally don't check craigslist when looking to get satellite TV, but those people are generally Bell's bread and butter. Got my current box for a song.

Send it out to all the internet classified thingies. If you have no bites by the end of the month, pawn it.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

priznat posted:

I have a shaw HD pvr box too that is utterly useless to me. Is there any market at all for these? Can I craigslist it?

It was so drat expensive :(

If it is anything like when I transferred some terminals from my moms place to mine it involves the following:

1)the previous owner must not owe any money
2)the previous owner must call shaw and tell them that the new owner of the cable box is so&so
3)the new owner calls shaw and has it activated
4)sit back and relax with some lovely television and a beer

It can be a fairly painless process, but I happened to be related to the previous owner so that may have had a bit of an effect on the process. Also my mom happened to be over while I made the initial call.

As for the internet I would be fine with pricing based on speed and not volume, as silly as this sounds I am quite happy with my relatively low end 7.5mbit line since nothing I do is time critical and I get decent pings/ 4 bars on xbox live with it. I did blow past my 60 gig cap by about 60 gigs last month just with steam/xbox live, streaming a few movies, and downloading podcasts/itunes. :| Hell Star Trek Online patched for ~2 gigs last month and Valves constant patching of their titles added up quickly too. Speed not volume would be the key to keeping me as a customer Shaw (in case you are trolling the boards)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks for the info on the terminal transferring! Gonna see if anyone I know who is on shaw currently wants it and get that going.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Halfway through the billing cycle, and we've gone over our 60 GB limit. We're already at +$16 on the next bill, and I planned on doing a fair bit of VPN work as well as gaming. Looks like I'll need to look up the maximum amount Rogers can charge you for going over.

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.

Vergeh posted:

My new roommate is from Korea. He was pretty shocked at just how slow and expensive the Internet is here, and it took me a while to even explain what a bandwidth cap was. He was flabberghasted. Apparently his old ISP had unlimited downloads for $25 a month, and the average service call had a 30-minute response time.

The service call response time's are definitely Asian in nature. Whilst in Japan (not Korea I know), an ATM ate my card. At 1am. On a Sunday. A tech was there within 30 minutes to resolve the problem. Ridiculously good.

Content Edit : I signed up for Shaw's Nitro 100Mbps service. Rock-solid 11-12+MB/sec downloading probably 85% of the time. Canadian Internet can't be THAT lovely..

bl4d3 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Halfway through the billing cycle, and we've gone over our 60 GB limit. We're already at +$16 on the next bill, and I planned on doing a fair bit of VPN work as well as gaming. Looks like I'll need to look up the maximum amount Rogers can charge you for going over.

Sounds like you need a higher limit. I had the same issue and got them to credit back the overcharge from the previous month when I kicked up to the 125 gb limit. I also threatened to cancel down to the cheapest of basic cables and they gave me everything except device rental free for several months. I was freaking heartbroken when I got this months bill where they started charging me for everything again along with $40 in overages.