Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That is unfortunate. I was hoping for a cheaper rerelease in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
For those with the FLCL Blu-Ray: What extras does it come with? The DVD has:

Director Commentaries
Videos with Music by The Pillows
"Ride on Shooting Star" Video
Outtakes
Textless Closing Song
Trailers

I ordered the DVD before Azrael gave a great reason to buy the Blu-Ray and wasn't able to cancel in time. :(

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The FLCL blu-ray has those exact same extras, listed on the box in the exact same order.

I demand that the world's superpowers force Japan to distribute Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve) to international shores, seeing as Japan has been enjoying it on DVD and blu-ray for some time now. The world suffers without intelligent, episodic stories about the future of artificial intelligence! FYI, the linked site leads to the Time of Eve page on CrunchyRoll where you can stream it all for free and wish for a blu-ray edition.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 23, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well I finally picked up a blu ray player. I was originally going to get a decent sony player, then decided to switch my 360 for a ps3. Since I work at Target I managed a decent deal on one. Anyway, I let fly with a rabid purchasing of movies at that point.

I picked up Akira at a local used media store. Watched a bit of it today and it really does look amazing. The movie's color palette always blew my mind, but in this format the colors were solid and very bold. I could also pick out many details in the shots I couldn't quite remember from before.

Everything else I ordered online, so I'll be waiting on those over the next week or so. That includes:

-Origins: Spirits of the past (looks gorgeous)
-FMA: Brotherhood vol. 1 (really excited about this in hi def)
-Nausicaa (US release)

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any info on the quality of the K-On Blu-Ray release?

Rightstuf has it on sale for just a few dollars more than the DVD, so I'm wondering if it's worth picking it up or will the BRD copy be inferior to the DVD release?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I don't know about the US release, but the Japanese K-On BDs were much better than the DVDs.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FLCL screenshots.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1906418

Swing and a miss.
Incredibly clear, but the smudge lines just kill it for me.

If you don't own the DVD it's worth it, but gently caress if it doesn't annoy me this got such a bad release.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Infinitum posted:

FLCL screenshots.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1906418

Swing and a miss.
Incredibly clear, but the smudge lines just kill it for me.

If you don't own the DVD it's worth it, but gently caress if it doesn't annoy me this got such a bad release.

So what exactly causes the smudged lines? Is it how they transfered it over to the blu-ray or is the original source just showing signs of deteriation?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's the conversion process they use called Q-Tec

Basically it upscales and 'cleans' and leaves blurry, smudged lines and none of the sharpness you'd expect from a traditional BRD.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kingtheninja posted:

-FMA: Brotherhood vol. 1 (really excited about this in hi def)

:ohdear: I have some bad news for you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

540p upscaled using the original digital master, so it scales very well. :eng101:

Lines are thicker than normal, but the quality is top notch.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infinitum posted:

It's the conversion process they use called Q-Tec

Basically it upscales and 'cleans' and leaves blurry, smudged lines and none of the sharpness you'd expect from a traditional BRD.

Q-Tec is a Bluray mastering studio, not a conversion process. They are however by far the most common offender when it comes to these kinds of artifacts, so their name is sort of synonymous with this kind of filtering (the line smudging in particular probably comes from a sharpening technique called warpsharp).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually hate slip-covers, but the Summer Wars one is actually kind of neat as it has the OZ characters where as the Blu-ray case itself has the real-world cast. They even put the other theatrical poster as the reverse cover so you could see it when you take out the disc. All in all a very solid job by FUNimation.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I usually hate slip-covers, but the Summer Wars one is actually kind of neat as it has the OZ characters where as the Blu-ray case itself has the real-world cast. They even put the other theatrical poster as the reverse cover so you could see it when you take out the disc. All in all a very solid job by FUNimation.

I agree, the theatrical poster is so gorgeous that it would have been a real shame if they didn't use it for something in the release. On a related note, does everyone get the same 4 art cards? Its a small thing, but they're pretty cool, and I'd hate to be missing some.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Ahh I seem to remember going over that post before. I'm still excited, I loved the show a lot and thought it had a really wonderful look to it when I was watching it online, so a blu ray can't be worse than that. Also just ordered summer wars based on everyone here talking about it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kingtheninja posted:

Ahh I seem to remember going over that post before. I'm still excited, I loved the show a lot and thought it had a really wonderful look to it when I was watching it online, so a blu ray can't be worse than that.

Oh, it's absolutely not bad or anything, it's just not going to satisfy your lust for HD. There are far uglier videos in this world to actually complain about.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So is it primarily just Bandai and Funimation who put out the BRDs? There's some series like Twelve Kingdoms that could definetly benefit for being on Blu-ray however it seems like Mediablasters only put Moribito and Queensblade on them curretly. Most publishers still seem to stay on DVD in the US it seems.

Allthough I never finished Moribito and the blu-ray seem cheap enough anyone know how are they quality-wise?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex BRs ever come out in NA? The Japanese release has been out for a while now and I thought we were supposed to get a release in January but nobody will admit to stocking them.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Vaerai Archon posted:

So is it primarily just Bandai and Funimation who put out the BRDs? There's some series like Twelve Kingdoms that could definetly benefit for being on Blu-ray however it seems like Mediablasters only put Moribito and Queensblade on them curretly. Most publishers still seem to stay on DVD in the US it seems.

Allthough I never finished Moribito and the blu-ray seem cheap enough anyone know how are they quality-wise?

Well, Viz is loving retarded (Released one boxset of Monster and then dropped it like a rock). So who knows if we'll ever see them do Blu-Rays. Media Blasters is walking a very fine line financially and Blu-Rays are expensive so you probably won't see them do them unless they've got a guaranteed seller on their hands, and NISA definitely won't do them, and Aniplex has done them (R.O.D and those Kara No Kyouaki(sp?) movies) but have been stupidly expensive.

Sentai has done a couple BR releases. Off the top of my head. They've done Canaan, Needless, and Ghost Hound. There's probably some I'm forgetting too.

Midjack posted:

Did the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex BRs ever come out in NA? The Japanese release has been out for a while now and I thought we were supposed to get a release in January but nobody will admit to stocking them.

Nope. Solid State Society was supposed to have a BR release but it got delayed. Not sure if it ever got resolicited.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bleh apparently the Australian release of FLCL is using the Japanese masters. So no good BRD release exists unless the UK magically remaster it themselves.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Anyone know if the audio is any good?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The audio and video are perfectly fine.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

The Black Stones posted:

Nope. Solid State Society was supposed to have a BR release but it got delayed. Not sure if it ever got resolicited.

Speak of the devil...

Laughing Man, Individual Eleven and Solid State Society are supposedly streeting on Blu on June 21.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Speak of the devil...

Laughing Man, Individual Eleven and Solid State Society are supposedly streeting on Blu on June 21.

Ah there we go; last I'd heard was mid-January. Thanks for the link!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just want to say I love the FMA blu ray. This is a show that has brilliant colors in a wide range, and seeing them so smooth in any kind of high def is a real treat.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
And another dispatch from the ridiculously-long-delayed department:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie will finally get a US Blu-ray release on June 28, three and a half years after the Japanese BR.

For those keeping score, we're still waiting on:
  • Metropolis
  • Memories
  • Steamboy
  • Perfect Blue
  • the original Ghost in the Shell movie
  • Spriggan
  • Gundam movies
  • Patlabor movies
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • Riding Bean
  • Galaxy Express 999 movies
  • The Five Star Stories
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

… and I could go on. (Of course, some of those have English subs. But they're still $80-90 a pop.)

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 7, 2011

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Received Nausicaa blu today, compared it to the original Disney DVD release and holy shucking fit, you guys. The color corrections and cleaner lines... can all of 80s anime please go through this process?

useless player
Mar 16, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good Blu-Ray player software? I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray disc intending to watch it on my new laptop only to find that I don't have the software to play it :doh:.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I should have my copy by the end of the week, but the ghibli blog put up some screens. I think someone posted these earlier in the thread but here they are again and yeah, the detail is insane.

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/01/nausicaa-blu-ray-how-does-it-compare-to.html

Also really waiting for steamboy on blu. I found a dvd copy for like 3 bucks so I picked that up, but it's really just a place holder.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

For those keeping score, we're still waiting on:

• the original Ghost in the Shell movie
Pretty sure the original version of GitS is inlcuded on the 2.0 BR.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

The Singing Chav posted:

Pretty sure the original version of GitS is inlcuded on the 2.0 BR.

It sure is. Of course it's a Laserdisc rip rather than a film transfer, so it looks like dogshit, but it's there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Arg this is really annoying. The first time Amazon doesn't ship a pre-order the day of (or even before) release and it's for Nausicaa and tales from Earthsea. Of course at work (Target) they have both in and with my discount would be about the same price. Lesson learned I guess.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amazon (Prime) acts in mysterious ways: my Nausicaa copy was a day early. Cool lesson learned.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Tonight I'm gonna see if Walmart takes those $10 off coupons cuz if so it'd only be 15 bucks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kingtheninja posted:

Arg this is really annoying. The first time Amazon doesn't ship a pre-order the day of (or even before) release and it's for Nausicaa and tales from Earthsea. Of course at work (Target) they have both in and with my discount would be about the same price. Lesson learned I guess.

Lucky you. I went to Target and Walmart and neither store had neither movie so I said gently caress it and just ordered from Amazon.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Grenadier posted:

Tonight I'm gonna see if Walmart takes those $10 off coupons cuz if so it'd only be 15 bucks.

Other online sources say Walmart does not stock the title in stores.

e: however some people have had luck matching the Walmart online price at Best Buy, then using the $10 off coupon.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Awesome thanks, yeah they didn't have it in store and i didn't find anyone in the entertainment section to ask if they'd take the coupon if i did the whole site-to-store thing, so i was gonna try again later, but i'll just give this a shot instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm watching nausicaa right now and holy he'll is this a gorgeous bluray.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Len posted:

I'm watching nausicaa right now and holy he'll is this a gorgeous bluray.

Yeah watching it now and this is just awesome. For an animated movie from 1984(?) to have such a clean look to it makes me excited for the other releases (namely Laputa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

All the Disney rips look amazing. I was watching Beauty and the Beast and it looked amazing too. I'll probably actually pick that up and Nausicaa. Also Eva is out in a week~

• Locked thread