Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Gelf posted:

Episodes really prooved to be an excellent show. Glad I stuck with it beyond the slow start.

Yeah, the first episode was a real stinker (imo) but the last few were actually really funny. I especially liked the fight at the end, perhaps not the most subtle bit of comedy but slapstick never gets old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Beast posted:

WHY IS OUTCASTS SO UNBELIEVABLY DULL

I get the feeling you guys are loving hating Outcasts much more than you should.
It is honestly pretty decent telly and is getting better. Last nights was great.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Guys, Dispatches blew open a huge scoop last night.

Hospital food. Is kind of lovely.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SeanBeansShako posted:

I caught one of the later episodes of Takeshis Castle and Craig Charles just sounded depressed.

Struggling with a heroin problem and being a regular on Coronation Street does that to a man I suppose :(.

Crack, wasn't it?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

a hampster posted:

You can identify with one or the other of us, be it age, height, presentation or manner.

I could identify with several serial killers based on a such a loose set of traits.

'height'

height!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

PlantHead posted:

I get the feeling you guys are loving hating Outcasts much more than you should.
It is honestly pretty decent telly and is getting better. Last nights was great.

You think so? All through the entire thing my only thought was "what kind of wanker thinks diamonds come out of the ground looking like that?"

That's what happens when you ask the Spooks guy to write sci-fi, I suppose. A mish-mash of ideas taken from what he read and watched as a kid with some modern social issues slapped on top.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mickolution posted:

Crack, wasn't it?

Could of been, it has been a fair few years since it was outed. I'm not the type who remembers scandals that well.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Beast posted:

I've missed two episodes and it is still incredibly SLOW. Christ, even the deep was more exciting.

The Deep at least had the Vera Filatova to make up for the gloriously dull segments, Outcasts has... South African scrubland.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Gelf posted:

Also I know I will probably come off sounding like a massive oval office, I am honestly just curious about this, but did you get the vibe from your friend's dad that everybody involved genuinely believed that the Back to Earth special was as good as Red Dwarf in its heyday? Don't get me wrong here, I didn't hate it as vehemently as some people here have stated, but it certainly didn't compare to what it once was.

I've never actually met her dad, but whenever we've discussed Red Dwarf or more often running for TV shows (she was a runner for it) she talks about it positively. The fact it got the largest viewing figures for digital TV ever is a pretty big thing.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Metrication posted:

The fact it got the largest viewing figures for digital TV ever is a pretty big thing.
Well everyone was checking it out werent they. It wasnt dreadfull it was just over-produced and tired imo.

The best red dwarfs were dave and rimmer on the ship pretty much alone without engaging in various mad events.

Though to be fair something had to happen at some point, they can only do that for some time.

some

somm

vvv yes yes mistype brain thing

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 22, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FYI, Dave Lister is one guy. Arnold Rimmer is the hologram played by Chris Barrie.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Well I've just had an absolutely lovely day courtesy of the BBC and The Applause Store. I was offered priority tickets to go see QI being filmed if I went along to see Alexander Armstrong's Pointless. After sitting through two of the dullest hours of my life the audience was offered the chance to have a stretch and maybe take a dump. Eager to get away from all the forced laughter and awkwardness I went to go take a leak while I had the chance. While I was queuing I noticed people leaving. I thought I'd get in on this, but having heard bad things about The Applause Store, I thought I'd best ask somebody if it was OK to leave. There was an older and very bored looking lady who was guarding the exit. I asked her if it was OK and whether I'd lose my QI tickets if I did leave. "No, that's fine, we can't keep you here forcefully." she told me. "Result." I thought to myself, and quickly hightailed it out of there. 
 I jumped on the next train and decided to ring The Applause Store to claim my tickets. The first question they asked was "Did you leave early?" so I told them I had and was promptly informed that I forfeited my tickets because of this. "We got what we needed, gently caress you lol bye!" was pretty much the response I got. 
 Fuckers. 

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Yeah audience companies (Applause Store/SRO) don't give a gently caress because they know they can always fill seats, especially with programmes like QI that are really popular.

ninja: Also I guess it doesn't help that Pointless and QI re shot at different studios by different production companies, whom both have different requirements for audience being there or not. Basically it sucks.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

7seven7 posted:

The first question they asked was "Did you leave early?" so I told them I had and was promptly informed that I forfeited my tickets because of this. "We got what we needed, gently caress you lol bye!" was pretty much the response I got. 
 Fuckers. 
Deffo one of those tactical bullshit advised moments.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

7seven7 posted:

Well I've just had an absolutely lovely day courtesy of the BBC and The Applause Store. I was offered priority tickets to go see QI being filmed if I went along to see Alexander Armstrong's Pointless. After sitting through two of the dullest hours of my life the audience was offered the chance to have a stretch and maybe take a dump. Eager to get away from all the forced laughter and awkwardness I went to go take a leak while I had the chance. While I was queuing I noticed people leaving. I thought I'd get in on this, but having heard bad things about The Applause Store, I thought I'd best ask somebody if it was OK to leave. There was an older and very bored looking lady who was guarding the exit. I asked her if it was OK and whether I'd lose my QI tickets if I did leave. "No, that's fine, we can't keep you here forcefully." she told me. "Result." I thought to myself, and quickly hightailed it out of there. 
 I jumped on the next train and decided to ring The Applause Store to claim my tickets. The first question they asked was "Did you leave early?" so I told them I had and was promptly informed that I forfeited my tickets because of this. "We got what we needed, gently caress you lol bye!" was pretty much the response I got. 
 Fuckers. 

I think Pointless is a load of poo poo anyway but why do they actually need an audience there? It isn't very exciting or dramatic, do they really need an audience in there so we can hear an "ohhhh" when that stupid answers barometer gets close to zero?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Heston fixing up the hospital food was pretty good. Although I'm not sure why food for kids automatically has to be super wacky and gross, not sure if my ten year old self would have been impressed. Next week with the attempt to spruce up the food at Cineworld seems even less well thought out, if you're going to see a film and you are focusing on what you're eating then you've hosed up already.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

J33uk posted:

Heston fixing up the hospital food was pretty good. Although I'm not sure why food for kids automatically has to be super wacky and gross, not sure if my ten year old self would have been impressed. Next week with the attempt to spruce up the food at Cineworld seems even less well thought out, if you're going to see a film and you are focusing on what you're eating then you've hosed up already.

Nothing better than stale nachos with delicious rubbery cheese sauce that cost £6. There's something reassuringly masochistic about it.

But the pick and mix at the cinema is always a cut above. But again it's like £3 for 100g. loving pricey cunts.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Did you guys watch Silk? I thought it was okay. I think the main draw for me is that it seems like a typical legal procedural, but a British one and I've never really seen a British one. And I have an interest in the legal system there. The lead is a bit old too.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

J33uk posted:

The closest cinema to my flat is the oldest in the UK (apparently). They serve cured meats with olives, slices of cake and cups of tea on saucers. It's fine in concept, but watching the people trying to quickly eat it before they even get seated, so as not to try and pilot greasy or crumbly food into their mouth in the dark, with nowhere to rest a teacup, is sad and ridiculous. You walk out after the film and there are plates on the floor.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Pour five out rapid for a fallen homie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12549622

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Has no-one seen the first episode of BBC2 Scotland's Limmy yet? It's the most honest, original & surreal sketch show on television & deserves everyone's immediate attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yts1t/Limmys_Show_Series_2_Episode_1/

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 23, 2011

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Alan BStard posted:

I think Pointless is a load of poo poo anyway but why do they actually need an audience there? It isn't very exciting or dramatic, do they really need an audience in there so we can hear an "ohhhh" when that stupid answers barometer gets close to zero?

That was pretty much it. The only remotely entertaining part of the afternoon was seeing Alexander Armstrong dwarfed when his gigantic co-host stood next to him.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

BisonDollah posted:

Has no-one seen the first episode of BBC2 Scotland's Limmy yet? It's the most honest, original & surreal sketch show on television & deserves everyone's immediate attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yts1t/Limmys_Show_Series_2_Episode_1/

Aye, I've been having a watch of it and it's great. He must base his sketches on real life a lot more than I thought, originally. I say this because when I went to see Four Tet last year in Glasgow, we went back to the west end for a wee party till the small hours. Then someone knocks on our door (sans a bottle of wine) and it's a really pissed off limmy. He's like "I'd join your party but I don't have any drink. It's 4am and I need to be up. Please turn down the music". He's very polite irl and for the rest of the night everybody did shut up and our only conversation was hyperactive "that was limmy at the door" whispers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lord Dekks posted:

Pour five out rapid for a fallen homie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12549622

They got the Brigadier no :(.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BisonDollah posted:

Has no-one seen the first episode of BBC2 Scotland's Limmy yet?

Yeah, it's loving great. A lot tighter than the first series, hope it's kept up.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I watched about half an episode of the first series and thought it was pretty poo poo. Is it worth giving the second a bash then?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The few Limmy sketches I've seen on youtube have me intrigued but there doesn't seem to be a way for someone outside the UK to watch it (I'm assuming iplayer still blocks connections from the rest of the world)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J33uk posted:

It irritated the heck out of me, but I kept watching it. He seemed to be under the impression he was catering for a children's party. Normal kids might like gross stuff, but a kid who is scared and actually being sick won't want 'Vomit Soup' for lunch, and a 17 year old won't be impressed with a cutesy pudding shaped like worms.

The show was unreasonably harsh on the hospital staff. They weren't trying to be difficult by pointing out the budget restrictions; it's a valid concern and absolutely nothing has been achieved from this exercise if Heston's meals are unsustainably expensive. The 1:2 division of catering staff didn't seem to worth the outrage, when you consider there are far more than 250 staff, parents and other non-patients on site. In my uninformed opinion, a better idea would be to stop having two menus, put all the catering staff together, and everyone is served what's on the staff menu. But that wouldn't make an hour of telly.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Considering it was basically the hospital version of Jamie's School Dinners, I don't understand they would get Heston loving Blumenthal involved in the first place. He's not exactly known for his healthy, well-balanced meals and he's that overexposed that his wacky 'food scientist' schtick is no longer interesting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jawidar posted:

Considering it was basically the hospital version of Jamie's School Dinners, I don't understand they would get Heston loving Blumenthal involved in the first place. He's not exactly known for his healthy, well-balanced meals and he's that overexposed that his wacky 'food scientist' schtick is no longer interesting.

Not only that, but what tit thought it would be a good idea to have him working in a hospital after his restaurant got shut down for making people ill.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Flatscan posted:

Not only that, but what tit thought it would be a good idea to have him working in a hospital after his restaurant got shut down for making people ill.

That would be rotten luck, wouldn't it? Get into hospital only to find that the same person who gave you food poisoning is cooking your lunch. You've only just had Heston's revolting muck pumped out of your stomach, now you've got to put a load of it back in again.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Demelza posted:

It irritated the heck out of me, but I kept watching it. He seemed to be under the impression he was catering for a children's party. Normal kids might like gross stuff, but a kid who is scared and actually being sick won't want 'Vomit Soup' for lunch, and a 17 year old won't be impressed with a cutesy pudding shaped like worms.

The show was unreasonably harsh on the hospital staff. They weren't trying to be difficult by pointing out the budget restrictions; it's a valid concern and absolutely nothing has been achieved from this exercise if Heston's meals are unsustainably expensive. The 1:2 division of catering staff didn't seem to worth the outrage, when you consider there are far more than 250 staff, parents and other non-patients on site. In my uninformed opinion, a better idea would be to stop having two menus, put all the catering staff together, and everyone is served what's on the staff menu. But that wouldn't make an hour of telly.

I was thinking that all the way through. Yes, hospital food is loving atrocious, but really, why the gently caress did they get him in? If they wanted a TV chef for this, they picked about the worst possible candidate.

Preview for next weeks just looks awful too. Why does this guy keep getting to make programs?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I swear the advert for Jordan/Katie Price's new TV show where she is underwater is the most terrifying thing on TV right now. I have no desire to watch the show anyway, but she looks like some sort of unblinking, soulless sea creature that will at any point leap through my TV and attempt to eat my face.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I swear the advert for Jordan/Katie Price's new TV show where she is underwater is the most terrifying thing on TV right now. I have no desire to watch the show anyway, but she looks like some sort of unblinking, soulless sea creature that will at any point leap through my TV and attempt to eat my face.

She is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Heston is doing this whole series as an extension of the Little Chef thing. It's not as if he's never dine anything like this before.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
He actually produced normal, appetising food for the Little Chef thing, though. The 'craziest' things on the menu are braised ox cheek and a pot of mussels.

I mean, what's he going to do on a submarine? And who really cares? It's a loving submarine, the food isn't supposed to be interesting. Judging by yesterday he'll be churning out loving giant squid filled with tomato ketchup and piping in a red alert siren at the same time.

(Yes I am angry about food programmes... don't get me started on the new Masterchef... :v: )

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Being angry about the new Masterchef is fine, I used to be able to just sort of gaze at it instead of thinking but this new variant.... I don't know it makes me irritated. Apart from Tits McTrifle in that first episode.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
His ideas for the first episode of the Little Chef thing was all his trademark stupid poo poo too: Lancashire hotpot with an oyster surprise, Earl Grey tea-smoked salmon, ham cooked in hay, and ice cream with dry ice. Then he had to start again and produce actual food.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oben posted:

His ideas for the first episode of the Little Chef thing was all his trademark stupid poo poo too: Lancashire hotpot with an oyster surprise, Earl Grey tea-smoked salmon, ham cooked in hay, and ice cream with dry ice. Then he had to start again and produce actual food.

I don't think he quite knows what actual food is anymore. He pitched some of that dry ice bullshit to the hospital too. he's obsessed with the stuff.

Whatever he does on the submarine has to be better than that Heston's feats show he had, the one that consisted of him showing off to his rich friends. Hated that one more than any of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Space Butler posted:

I don't think he quite knows what actual food is anymore. He pitched some of that dry ice bullshit to the hospital too. he's obsessed with the stuff.

I don't think its so much obsessed as trying to keep himself popular through that loving gimmick.

Also, does anyone remember that TV show that was somewhat similar to Doc Martin, except the Doctor in this case was 1) involved in a train crash of some kind and 2) had a family? The last episode I saw involved him diving off the boat to the mainland and swimming back to his family (I think the wife was shagging someone else or something), it's been bugging me for ages.