Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

MarshallX posted:

Also finished fabrication of a frame for my babies room. I'd like to keep the walnut as light as possible (goes nicely with the elephant picture right now) - any suggestions on finish?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Nice frame! I was thinking about doing a frame for my next project for a couple of old mirrors that my girlfriend's mother has. Did you get plans from somewhere before you started? I have a good idea how to go about making the frame and joining it, but the back is where I have the most questions. ie: type of cut, connection to mirror, supports, etc.

Any tips you could provide are much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Man, check this out:

Yeah, yeah. Sacrilege. Whatever.

http://catharinekennedy.com/#planes

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
Oh,I just realized this was a better home for this post than post your project... I'll take some pics of my other bowls and post them shortly.

Here is a bowl I made yesterday out of a free chunk of madrone burl that my buddy gave me... hahaha boy was he jealous when we got into it and realized how pretty it was.

These iPhone pics don't really adequately show just how figured and unique this bowl is... it turned out fantastic. Certainly one of, if not the prettiest thing's I've ever crafted.

Click here for the full 764x1024 image.

Click here for the full 764x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x764 image.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Man, check this out:
PLANES

That first one is real pretty. Going by her prices I could see how someone could be tempted - not as bad as I thought considering how much time must go into them.

puttz posted:

BOWL

Very nice - although perhaps you should call it a colander because of the hole.

It is hard to see from the pictures but there appears to be a lot of cool detail in that grain that you've managed to bring out - kinda like fractals or satellite imagery of a desert.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
haha maybe I will start calling it a colander! It's a wonderful burl chunk with all kinds of different figure and color.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Isn't burl a cancerous growth on a tree? If that were the case, then its patterns would be truly random. Its pleasing to the eye, regardless.

I think it looks great, warts and all. Its perfection lies in its imperfection (the hole).

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I think it's more like scar tissue. It could be both or I could be completely wrong.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

A burl (American English) or bur or burr (British English) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner.
Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Cross-post from the tools thread: http://woodgears.ca/

This guy has some really cool articles. Since I am a massive tool nerd and looking to get into woodworking (again), I'm really enjoying watching him build tools, rigs and mod existing tools. He also sells some Sketchup plans for various rigs and stuff he made.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
For anyone who is a semi-skilled woodworker, boat building is probably one of the most challenging and rewarding hobbies you can undertake. You will require a lot of patience and creativity in order to work around the problems you'll find in most traditional builds.

I'd suggest starting with stitch and glue construction as to me it seems to be the easiest method. You can read about stitch and glue here. And a demonstrated build here.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Iskariot posted:

Cross-post from the tools thread: http://woodgears.ca/

This guy has some really cool articles. Since I am a massive tool nerd and looking to get into woodworking (again), I'm really enjoying watching him build tools, rigs and mod existing tools. He also sells some Sketchup plans for various rigs and stuff he made.

His Pantarouter or whatever got some play earlier in this thread too.

I think he's great, and I've been looking for an excuse to use some of his patterns, but I can't help thinking back to that 80's anti-cocaine commercial:

I work wood, to make tool parts, to make more woodworking tool, so can work more wood, to make more tool parts, to make more...

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What is a good wood for a beginner to start out carving?

My first bonehead was when I bought red oak. I actually mentioned that in here a long time ago. I replaced that with douglas fir, which I whittled successfully.

Then I bought some maple. At this point, I have a whole (incredibly cheap) set of carving chisels. But I was told that maple is too hard of a wood. Balsa was suggested, but that seems incredibly soft; too soft, even. I've not tried douglas fir under the scrutiny of my chisels, yet. Also, white pine was suggested. (If one goes to Lowe's or Home Depot and gets "white wood", is that the same as white pine?)

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
You want a soft wood so you can pare away the material. Bass wood is a little harder than balsa and still carve-able I believe.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

inspire posted:

For anyone who is a semi-skilled woodworker, boat building is probably one of the most challenging and rewarding hobbies you can undertake. You will require a lot of patience and creativity in order to work around the problems you'll find in most traditional builds.

I'd suggest starting with stitch and glue construction as to me it seems to be the easiest method. You can read about stitch and glue here. And a demonstrated build here.

Interesting that you should post that. I purchased a stitch and glue canoe kit a few weeks ago. It will be a while till it warms up enough for me to start building but it looks like a great way to get into wooden boat ownership and construction.

Here is my first little blurb about it I am going to try to take lots of pictures and describe the construction.

http://helno.ca/?p=15

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Do you veterans have any suggested places/websites for picking up Router bits besides Lowe's, HD, or a local hardware store? I've found both Lowe's and Home Depot to both just carry a limited generic selection. I'm specifically looking for something to make a mirror frame with. A design similar to this:

my own hosting

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Behold, MLCS:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

I haven't managed to break one of their bits yet. Can't say the same for junky Vermont American and some random eBay ones that I bought. Nice catalog too.

edit: Here are some panel raisers:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/raised_panel_router_bits1.html

I think these are cool too:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_molding.html

Dielectric fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2011

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

jvick posted:

Do you veterans have any suggested places/websites for picking up Router bits besides Lowe's, HD, or a local hardware store? I've found both Lowe's and Home Depot to both just carry a limited generic selection. I'm specifically looking for something to make a mirror frame with. A design similar to this:

my own hosting

If you are in Canada, the busy bee "Blue Tornado" brand just got a major overhaul and has been reviewed right up there with Freud bits. I've been using them for 6 months or so and have no complaints.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MarshallX posted:

If you are in Canada, the busy bee "Blue Tornado" brand just got a major overhaul and has been reviewed right up there with Freud bits. I've been using them for 6 months or so and have no complaints.

If you are in Canada, stay away from the Canadian Tire specials (Mastercraft?). I picked up a set of 40 bits and right out of the box two were bent and another two lost the bearing after some light use.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
When it flung off did it fly through your body?

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
I've seen that happen with a slot cuter bit, the blade shot out like a ninja star.

Circus Pies! fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 21, 2011

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

MarshallX posted:

I'm in California, do they nor ship internationally? Do you know?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Scientist posted:

When it flung off did it fly through your body?

No, just the bearing that is supposed to guide it along the wood. Nothing that dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvGKfoXHNUM

Blistex fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 21, 2011

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Few pages back there was discussion about reciprocating saws/sawzalls and the mention that some called them "sawsaws". I figured, no way, no one calls them that. Turns out, some verifiably do. Check out this Makita sawsaw http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/2227682288.html and a Milwaukee sawsaw too http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/2227669690.html

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That doesn't make it a non-retarded name...also those are both from the same guy so maybe he's cousins with the other "sawsaw" guy that was referred to earlier on?

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
I think a sawsaw is a stolen sawzall.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

A Sawsaw is obviously a speciality tool used to cut other saws. :haw:

I have worked with a couple of old rednecks who called them Sawsaws, it was so funny to see grizzled old men yelling for the Sawsaw because no matter how you say it it sounds like baby talk.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I think someone said it the first time it came up, but I assume "saw saw" is a product of someone only ever hearing the term.

If you're totally illiterate, it's not like the word "Sawz all" is somehow better than "Saw Saw." Add in accents and this seems totally reasonable.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
So I got some new toys last week off eBay! I'm pretty stoked to use them, but I would like to clean them up a bit before I put them to good use. I know some people in here have restored some old Stanley planers before and am wondering if there are any threads or pointers people have before I tackle this project.

The two I'm most focused on right now are the left and middle Stanley's.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

jvick posted:

I know some people in here have restored some old Stanley planers before and am wondering if there are any threads or pointers people have before I tackle this project.

Go back a few pages and find my response to the australian who was going to buy some wood river planes. I had several links to plane restoration in that post.

Also: I just bought a Unisaw, at auction, for $187. My wife is going to kill me.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=575&acctID=560

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Kill you? That's cause for celebration!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

GEMorris posted:

Go back a few pages and find my response to the australian who was going to buy some wood river planes. I had several links to plane restoration in that post.

Thanks, Morris, I'll check it out.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

jvick posted:

So I got some new toys last week off eBay! I'm pretty stoked to use them, but I would like to clean them up a bit before I put them to good use. I know some people in here have restored some old Stanley planers before and am wondering if there are any threads or pointers people have before I tackle this project.

The two I'm most focused on right now are the left and middle Stanley's.

I saw some planes at the flea market this weekend, I think they may be exactly the right-most 2 in your picture. At least one (of these ones I saw) is definitely, verifiable a stanley. One was a block and another just a standard, idk, maybe #4? Anyway, he said he'd do $15 for both. Pretty bad shape, they were in, though.

Do you guys think it would be lucrative for me to buy them and restore them? I'm sure once they're in better shape they can fetch more than $15 and make at least some profit. But its the time its gonna take that I'm worried about. Still it be fun. But a lot of time.

Also, what would you think if you saw a stanley plane up for auction, and it came with its original blade (nicely sharpened) but also a much beefier blade made out of 5160 steel that I had made myself? Would that be more, less, or apathetically appealing to you?

GEMorris posted:

Also: I just bought a Unisaw, at auction, for $187. My wife is going to kill me.

Oh man, look at that thing. You know when you get a tool and it has that generic 1950's refrigerator/car-with-wings look that you got a good tool made out of good metal.

Build her a distressed lumbar china cabinet or kitchen cupboard or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Scientist posted:

distressed lumbar

It's funny because all those old tools weigh a ton and a half.

vvv It's better this way. :D

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 23, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I can't believe I just typed "distressed lumbar". No use hiding my shame now.

Instead, check out this series this guy here did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dag4qNRdRRo

I love his work and am appreciative of his willingness to teach us all, but drat this dude must have asperger's irl. I'd never let that dictate my opinion of a person, though. I bet we're all a little on that side.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

The Scientist posted:

I saw some planes at the flea market this weekend, I think they may be exactly the right-most 2 in your picture. At least one (of these ones I saw) is definitely, verifiable a stanley. One was a block and another just a standard, idk, maybe #4? Anyway, he said he'd do $15 for both. Pretty bad shape, they were in, though.

As far as I can tell, the two Stanley's are in pretty descent shape considering. I'll be honest though, I only got to play with them for about a half hour on Sunday night. I'll give them a better look over when I get back home on Friday. For your reference though, here are the 3 eBay pages for those planes. The price he wants is a bit less than what I paid.

Aluminum Plane

Stanley #9 (small)

Large Stanley Planer

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Those seem like pretty good prices (for the buyer, that is). Did they arrive in usable condition?

If that's what I'm looking at fetching for some planes it may not be worth it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

The Scientist posted:

Do you guys think it would be lucrative for me to buy them and restore them? I'm sure once they're in better shape they can fetch more than $15 and make at least some profit. But its the time its gonna take that I'm worried about. Still it be fun. But a lot of time.

It would only be worthwhile if you had a surface grinder, otherwise people will just do it themselves because they don't want to pay you for your time. You aren't adding any value that they couldn't add themselves. The only guy I see on ebay making any real money on "prepared" planes is the guy that surface grinds everything to higher than original tolerances.

You also have the problem of finding a reliable source of old planes to refurbish. If you don't live in the northeast, good luck.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

The Scientist posted:

Those seem like pretty good prices (for the buyer, that is). Did they arrive in usable condition?

If that's what I'm looking at fetching for some planes it may not be worth it.
All 3 blades were pretty darn sharp to the touch, and are usable, but could go for a bit of sharpening. I was pretty stoked on the prices I paid. They're are not bad for me to get started and learn more about the planers.

jvick fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 23, 2011

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Any tips on jointery for this simple sign post?

My idea is in the sketch: a version of a through tenon for the sign rail then patch its end with a small block
There will be some decent heft to the sign so I'm concerned about sagging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

GEMorris posted:

Yeah, this Aussie is still quietly looking :)