Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I haven't heard the NNF episode, but he gave (in good fun) some poo poo to James Lipton when he was on "Inside the Actors Studio" and I thought it was great. As opposed to people who just play along, and actively questioned some the bullshit that goes on. It was sorta psuedo-aggressive but playful. I assume the NNF was in the same tone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Have you guys never heard comedians bust balls before?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe you guys are forgetting that unless he's on the show talking to celebrities Conan's entire schtick is him being a jerk:

http://vimeo.com/groups/teamcocovids/videos/10292211

Also I am loving Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, they have probably the best chemistry I've seen in a podcast.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

j8910 posted:

I haven't heard the NNF episode, but he gave (in good fun) some poo poo to James Lipton when he was on "Inside the Actors Studio" and I thought it was great. As opposed to people who just play along, and actively questioned some the bullshit that goes on. It was sorta psuedo-aggressive but playful. I assume the NNF was in the same tone?

I guess so, I don't listen to NNF regularly (just wanted to hear Conan) so maybe that's just the way it goes, but compared to CDR and DLM it seemed (almost) genuinely confrontational at times. Like they'd be talking about sandwiches or Oscar noms or whatever and Conan would get all like "OMG WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON RIGHT NOW" which makes sense somewhat since with his TV background I'm sure he's more used to being very economical with time whereas these podcasting guys just kinda shoot the poo poo about whatever and don't care what the clock says. Doug Benson is a bit of an exception to this since he tends to rush into the leonard maltin game. But I don't know, I'm just used to the "showbiz" Conan as opposed to stand-up comic Conan, or regular guy Conan.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

Conan is kinda a dick. Nothing really crippling or anything but yea, outside his 'element' he kinda turns into a bit of a jerk. He seems kinda like one of those types who's great with a nice, written, script, but if things start deviating he just kinda loses the train.
Conan is an angel and you can't decipher sarcasm.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Yeticopter posted:

Man, did anyone else think that Conan O'Brien was a bit of a dick on NNF? Like pointlessly criticizing Pardo for engaging in aimless banter about nothing? I get that maybe that's sort of his "schtick" but there were times where he seemed downright hostile and not really humorous at all. I'm a pretty big Conan fan, but he seemed a little out of his element when the shows not meticulously planned/written/rehearsed. He seems to have sort of lost his touch with improv. I guess he's not as acclimated to the podcasting culture as guys like Pardo or Ackerman, but still.

Pardo was Conan's warm up comic for YEARS so even if the poo poo is genuine, Pardo is in on it and the joke is probably on you.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

t3ch3 posted:

Giamatti is my least favorite Adomian character, but and when Reggie turned the repeater on during it I laughed for at least a full minute.
fixed

Reggie, I can usually take or leave, but his giamatti remix alone made this appearance worthwhile.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
NNF is a confrontational show, and they spend a lot of time being needlessly argumentative. It's fun, I like that. But in addition to that, Conan is a little bit jerky. No big deal, just a little jerky. He's always on, and doesn't really take part in a conversation, he just steers it towards his own jokes. You can hear that in NNF and in other interviews.

Also, pretty sure that Pardo started as Conan's warm up when Conan took over the tonight show pretty recently. Pardo and Andy Richter are the ones who knew each other.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Pardo was Conan's warm up comic for YEARS so even if the poo poo is genuine, Pardo is in on it and the joke is probably on you.
By "years" you mean from the Tonight Show to currently, but yeah Pardo's definitely in on it. This was Conan's second appearance on NNF and iirc he was the same confrontational dick the first time also, so it certainly wasn't sincere or (I'm assuming) he wouldn't have been asked back.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I'm relatively sure Conan and Jimmy are somewhat close friends.
Now the Greg Fitzsimmons episode, that one was uncomfortable.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Yeticopter posted:

Like they'd be talking about sandwiches or Oscar noms or whatever and Conan would get all like "OMG WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON RIGHT NOW" which makes sense somewhat since with his TV background I'm sure he's more used to being very economical with time whereas these podcasting guys just kinda shoot the poo poo about whatever and don't care what the clock says.

They relied on it more than usual, but this is a fairly common joke based on the unscripted, "live to tape" nature of the show. There's a great example in the Jon Hamm episode last season, where they start talking about supplemental insurance.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
So Carl LaBove, who was Sam Kinison's opening act and best friend, was on WTF this week. This episode to was a testament to Maron's interviewing skills to me, I couldn't care less about Kinison and yet he had me on the edge of my seat about his estate and secret child.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

So Carl LaBove, who was Sam Kinison's opening act and best friend, was on WTF this week. This episode to was a testament to Maron's interviewing skills to me, I couldn't care less about Kinison and yet he had me on the edge of my seat about his estate and secret child.

Great episode. Carl's recounting of his suicide attempt was disturbingly funny. Felt bad for the guy, but he's a drat good story teller.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

And amazing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm about 20 minutes into the latest CDR and Marissa Wompler is already shaping up to be my favorite female character. Which to be fair is a pretty short list but nevermind. Is Jessica St. Clair actually 15 years old?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It was scarily accurate. I loved when she interrupted to say that her friends mom lets them drink in the basement and she doesn't even care that they're underage, as long as nobody drives!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Boners boners boners boners

I must be 12 years old because I keep laughing whenever Andy Richter talks about boners.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Nope, cause 'boner' is a serious contender for Funniest Word Ever, and I swear to god if I even think about the phrase 'boner jamz' while I'm trying to look sane in public.

e: Listening to the new WTF. Labove's Ozzy story loving rules.

ee: holy poo poo

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 22, 2011

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

t3ch3 posted:

Giamatti is my least favorite Adomian character, but when Reggie turned the repeater on during it I laughed for at least a full minute.

Holy poo poo, I'm crying.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I had to stifle laughter today when I was listening to a recent 'Doug Loves Movies'. It was the episode from a few weeks back with Sam Levine, where there was no audience and Doug is a contestant in the Leonard Maltin game. Matt Belknap goes all out and is confident he can get a film in 1 name, which turns out to be Erykah Badu. Their reactions were priceless.

Also as a Brit I will say a lot of it goes over my head but I do like quite a lot of the The Sports Guy's podcast. Even though it's not technically comedy he often has comedians/celebrities on. The recent two parter with Patton Oswalt was great.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I know they always mention this as the worst guest appearance but I really didn't think it was as awkward as everyone (including Jimmy and Matt) makes it out to be.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Bunk Rogers posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm crying.

As was I. Everything Adomian does is amazing.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Strange Matter posted:

I'm about 20 minutes into the latest CDR and Marissa Wompler is already shaping up to be my favorite female character. Which to be fair is a pretty short list but nevermind. Is Jessica St. Clair actually 15 years old?
A guy I work with who also listens to CDR complained last week that they were paying too much attention to the 15 year old intern. When I assured him that was actually a character he started to enjoy the episode a lot more. Marissa Wompler has been great in both of her appearances on the show.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

I know they always mention this as the worst guest appearance but I really didn't think it was as awkward as everyone (including Jimmy and Matt) makes it out to be.

This is a podcast where Jimmy Pardo averages calling someone a "human being" 7-8 times per show, I don't know why people were angry about that episode. It was great. The whole joke was that Fitzsimmons was bashing the whole podcasting thing, saying it was the bottom tier of show business, etc., but a few months later, he has his own. How can people not get it

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I listened to the free 20 minutes of the episode, and if I hadn't read about it before, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Did it get more awkward later in the episode or something?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Jesus Christ, Galiafinakis on Who Charted? Absolutely amazing.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I fully admit that I do not get Jimmy Pardo's popularity. Everything that guys says is really forced sounding to me. He is trying way too hard all the time and almost never even gets a smirk out of me. I was just listening to him on DLM and literally everything he says makes me groan. But I fully get that its just not for me. I'm just gripin'!

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Speaking of comedians we don't get, does anyone find Reggie Watts funny? I at least see why people like Jimmy Pardo, if I don't find him that great. Reggie Watts, I don't even get that he's telling jokes. All his songs are lame.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

j8910 posted:

Speaking of comedians we don't get, does anyone find Reggie Watts funny? I at least see why people like Jimmy Pardo, if I don't find him that great. Reggie Watts, I don't even get that he's telling jokes. All his songs are lame.

Reggie Watts is awesome :)

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

j8910 posted:

He's not like a top 10 favorite or anything, but I think his music is kinda fun, and his live performances are very innovative. He seems like a pretty charming and funny guy on anything I've seen or heard him on.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

soru posted:

Reggie Watts is awesome :)

Seriously, I just got his cd a few weeks ago and I listen to the songs all of the time.

Will Forte on NNF this week!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

King Lou posted:

I fully admit that I do not get Jimmy Pardo's popularity. Everything that guys says is really forced sounding to me. He is trying way too hard all the time and almost never even gets a smirk out of me. I was just listening to him on DLM and literally everything he says makes me groan. But I fully get that its just not for me. I'm just gripin'!

You're missing the whole point of his act, friend!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can't see "How Did This Get Made?" getting any better. They still haven't figured out how to stop stepping all over each other, and the frequency with which Jason says "literally" is obnoxious. Worst of all, they really don't seem to have any kind of funny insights into the movies very often, aside from "And how about when Nicholas Ca...?!" "THAT WAS CRAZY I WAS LITERALLY LIKE 'OK WHAT IS GOING ON HERE'!" Blechh, no thank you. I thought it would've been a lot better with Paul Scheer involved.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

bananasinpajamas posted:

You're missing the whole point of his act, friend!

Yeah, thats not really a great reply, pal. Care to get meta on me about what his act is about? Besides being a jabber jaw. Is that it? That he's an annoying jabber jaw? Eh, to each his own. I just don't like it. I did hear he had an episode of NNF that was free recently so I'll check that out. See if that sways me. :colbert:

Also, Reggie Watts is fun to listen to. I haven't seen him do stand up. Just listen to him on CDR, in which I find him to be a quick witted pun master. Thats probably why Aukerman likes him so much. His songs aren't always awesome but they are mostly off the cuff and he's pretty loving good at working that looping machine.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I haven't given much thought to Pardo's comedy personality, but it feels like a vaudevillian out of time that is flabbergasted with the modern world.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

I can't see "How Did This Get Made?" getting any better. They still haven't figured out how to stop stepping all over each other, and the frequency with which Jason says "literally" is obnoxious. Worst of all, they really don't seem to have any kind of funny insights into the movies very often, aside from "And how about when Nicholas Ca...?!" "THAT WAS CRAZY I WAS LITERALLY LIKE 'OK WHAT IS GOING ON HERE'!" Blechh, no thank you. I thought it would've been a lot better with Paul Scheer involved.

Yeah, all being creative people, I was expecting them to get more into the nuts and bolts of why is something terrible. It feels like if the show was a but longer, they would step over each other much less.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, all being creative people, I was expecting them to get more into the nuts and bolts of why is something terrible. It feels like if the show was a but longer, they would step over each other much less.

This is one instance where it being a video podcast would help greatly I think. Being able to call up clips, freeze frame, and all that jazz would help them humorously analyze their chosen movies much better.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Yannick_B posted:

I don't give a poo poo why it technically doesn't work, I want to hear some dudes laugh at a terrible movie, and they do this well for my tastes. I can see why it'd annoy others but I love it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I honestly think How Did This Get Made is one of the funniest podcasts I've ever heard, but I pretty much love it whenever people on a podcast lose their poo poo over something ridiculous (see: The Best Show's "Gathering of the Juggalos" bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

j8910 posted:

Reggie Watts, while not hilariously laugh out loud constantly funny, is very quick witted so I like seeing him on the show. Since his music is mostly improvised (I guess) he's hot some times and cold others. I think his music is great on ep 84 where he writes the theme for the foam corner.

On another note, I wonder is CDR has a big blowout planned for ep 100, even though including un-numbered podcasts they're already over 100.

• Locked thread