Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah. It's immobile, has no head armor, and sitting next to inferno infantry; so nothing bad can happen, right?

Technically it could still jump away, gaining even more heat. :v:
At this point I'd risk jumping away if only to get out of range of those Inferno SRM, reduce their to-hit chance if they can still fire on it, and not fire a single shot so that the heatsinks have a chance of dissipating the heat generated from the jumpjets and the excess overheating.
The problem is that Firewalker won't be very useful without risking exploding and/or having the pilot melt.
:supaburn:
I should really learn to read properly and not post when I'm tired.

Then there's the Hunchback that has been immobilized near a tank and the tech platoon which is kinda in range of various nasty things.

I can't wait for the next update! :munch:

Edit:
oh great, new page.
Here's the Imp in all its glory

Edit 2:

KnoxZone posted:

The Catapult shutdown, so it is completely stuck.

Ah crap, you are absolutely correct! I misread the report and thought it succeded in keeping the mech online.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

radintorov posted:

Technically it could still jump away, gaining even more heat. :v:
At this point I'd risk jumping away if only to get out of range of those Inferno SRM, reduce their to-hit chance if they can still fire on it, and not fire a single shot so that the heatsinks have a chance of dissipating the heat generated from the jumpjets and the excess overheating.
The problem is that Firewalker won't be very useful without risking exploding and/or having the pilot melt. :supaburn:

Then there's the Hunchback that has been immobilized near a tank and the tech platoon which is kinda in range of various nasty things.

I can't wait for the next update! :munch:

The Catapult shutdown, so it is completely stuck.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

radintorov posted:

Edit:
oh great, new page.
Here's the Imp in all its glory
[img_urbanmech_elephantiasis.jpg]

:stare:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Wow. The only way we'd have seen even more fire this turn would have been if the Infernos the Warhammer is toting went sympathetic. Jesus, that's one Cappie Mech-jock with a deathwish. Loading infernos in a Mech that's known for not having a gentle heat curve and which is likely to be a fire magnet.

Still, that Wammy is in trouble. It won't do poo poo this round and it's armor is down to dangerously low levels. Oh, and that lovely Inferno-SRM ammo bin has no armor protecting it anymore.

I3 needs to die. Tech platoon and/or the Scouts should murder these fucks ASAP.

The Cat is pretty much hosed, nothing left but praying for now. Smae goes for the Goblin, though, it's now a sitting duck.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

This is exciting! If I'm reading this map right, the Zhukov is completely screened from everything except infantry.

Is it Vaya con Dios for Engine Joe, or will the Caballeros make a mad dash to make the save?!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

:stare:

Yep, the Imp. The walking eggman of death.

100 tons, a class 300 engine, 2 PPCs, a LRM15 with a ton of ammo, five Medium Lasers, 18 tons of ammo and 30 heatsinks for the Level 1 version. And unfortunately, it's a Wolfs Dragoons Mech. :(

Also, there's the hilarious 'Mini-Imp'. Take one Urbanmech, upgrade it's engine to a class 90 with 10 DHS and add a third Jump Jet. Then, replace it's weaponry with 2 Light PCs, 5 ER small lasers and a LRM5 with a ton of reloads. Round up with 6.5 tons of standard armor. You even end up being able to give the LRMs some CASE in your official miniature Imp. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 23, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Wow, that "Hot Hammer" is really living up to its nickname, eh?

Mary Annette posted:

This is exciting! If I'm reading this map right, the Zhukov is completely screened from everything except infantry.

Sir gently caress You can get on top of the hill at 1012, shoot down on the Zhukov, and kick the Whammer's head off. In theory.

Magni posted:

Smae goes for the Goblin, though, it's now a sitting duck.

It can't move, its LLAS doesn't work, and its turret is locked "south". It does have a MG on the front, though, so cue the TAC on the Rifleman's AC ammo.

Y'all see what I mean about wanting to shoot SRMs at vehicles?

Do note that the SRM Carrier is now unmasked!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh no! Be okay Engine Joe! :ohdear:

Am I reading this wrong, or are the enemy mechs mostly down and out? The mission objectives say if you could destroy the enemy mechs and vehicles the infantry would yield, but since there's an enemy vehicle way at the back in practical terms you'll have to kill everything in your path.

Still, that Warhammer looks pretty frail and it looks like a lot of enemy vehicles are immobilized or otherwise slowed down. That should help. Maybe abusing the whole "You can stand on tanks to keep them from shooting you" thing is in order? Not that Stubby can do much more than limp away and cool off. If Sir gently caress You can keep holding off the Black jack and the Vindicator, maybe Sureshot and Skinwalker still have it in them to take down the Warhammer this turn? Sureshot especially shouldn't be afraid to get into the action, being in relatively good shape compared to Stubby (sandblasted), Skinwalker (Got a few holes), and Firewalker (Pray).

*edit*

The Merry Marauder posted:

Sir gently caress You can get on top of the hill at 1012, shoot down on the Zhukov, and kick the Whammer's head off. In theory.

Forget what I said. This is the plan. Make a divot on that mech's spine.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sounds good, but 1013 is a better move, since it won't show SFU's rear end armor to the Vindicator.

vvvvvvvvv :drat:, you're right! Commence mooning!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 23, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mary Annette posted:

Sounds good, but 1013 is a better move, since it won't show SFU's rear end armor to the Vindicator.

SFU has 16 CT(R) as opposed to 6 CT Armor. 10 vs 16 on the side torsos. I think the Vindie needs a 12 with the PPC (Gunnery 3 + Jumped 3 + SFU move 2 + 2xLt Woods 2 + Medium Range 2). Besides, mooning Death Commandos while killing their buddies is fun!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That Warhammer is so lucky :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magni posted:

Also, there's the hilarious 'Mini-Imp'. Take one Urbanmech, upgrade it's engine to a class 90 with 10 DHS and add a third Jump Jet. Then, replace it's weaponry with 2 Light PCs, 5 ER small lasers and a LRM5 with a ton of reloads. Round up with 6.5 tons of standard armor. You even end up being able to give the LRMs some CASE in your official miniature Imp. :v:
That actually sounds like a viable design......

[EDIT]Except I can't get it to match up exactly. Up-teched this bitch and made a later version IMP, resulting in a hillariously cool-running mech.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 23, 2011

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Hello everybody

If there is still a space open I would like to volunteer to pilot a mech at some point. If there isn't feel free to slap a dunce cap onto me. :whip:

When I used to play regularly my preference in "nation" was the Draconis Combine (mainly the sweden aspect). I received a reputation for abnormal and seemingly suicidal tactics so it was very fitting. However I'm fine with running whatever :)

I'm about 3? or so pages into the thread, so if there's any important information I should know about asap please point me in the correct direction.

By the time I have to pilot a game I will hopefully have PM's available if not I can supply my e-mail.

p.s if I fly combine I may have to resurrect one of my more successful pilots Myk Pels av Skarpe Klørson :D

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hm. I was not expecting the Warhammer to be packing Infernos, too. That was unexpected.

Let's see. HBK and CPLT are basically out of action for at least this turn, maybe next. We leave them where they are, though, and they're gonna get torn up. The enemy's forward elements are mostly combat-incapable this turn due to their own damage or are retreating.

CABALLEROS! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tactical analysis:

This turn's priority targets: I3, D1. Removing those drat SRMs and finishing off the Warhammer before it becomes a threat again is priority.

Going down the list, I have the following suggestions.

SS: Time to advance. Moving to 0717 to step on the Goblin while putting some ack-ack into D1.

S2: Holding position and sniping I3.

St: Also spend a turn being a punching bag. Seriously, you're at +20 heat. Spend a turn cooling and be glad the Catapult is a bigger target than you.

La Dama: Keep on yellin'. We're on pace to have the hostages survive, don't do anything risky.

FY: Running to 1012 will expose your stronger back to D2 and D4, allow you to kick D1's head in and help flush V2 out to expose it's weaker right side.

S1: Move south to 1509. Blow boobytraps on I2.

F: Sorry, you're shut down. Spend a turn being a punching bag. That Zhukov is gonna gently caress you up and you're probably gonna eat another wave of Infernos.

TP: Get into the woods at 1413. gently caress up I3. It's time for point-blank SRM fire combat!

Sw: Head north - 0716 or 0714 is best? Hit D1 from the side. If we concentrate on his right side, we can take out the other PPC arm and leave it mostly crippled.

S3: Waste I2. Should be able to one-turn it, since they're in the open. If you don't get them this turn, they'll reach cover next turn and be twice as hard to kill.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Port Arthur is mentioned in some of the books (like TRO: 3060), but not much information is given other than "we dun killed sum Jagwars on dat dere planet" and mention of mech designs encountered there. It's safe to assume that it didn't happen exactly like the game shows.

Mechwarrior 3 also got an official "novelization" ("Trial Under Fire"), so Damocles 1 (apparently officially real name "Connor Sinclair") and his fun little commando raid vs. the Smoke Jaguars is canon as well, though I think the actual opposition was toned down slightly to more sane levels. Pretty sure the whole "Mechcommander" thing also got a reference somewhere (i.e. a guy somewhere else directing a lance) as a "new innovation" the Davion Guard used at Port Arthur, though can't remember the exact reference if my memory is right.

As for the last turn, whoaaa boy, heat is apparently showing why it's a true bitch in Level 1 play :supaburn:. Mr. Catapult and Mr. Hunchback (particularly the former) are probably screwed given how easy they'll be to hit, though on the bright side you are at least running out of people to be actually shooting you. Don't think the Warhammer is out of it yet, though if those Infernos had had the decency to go boom he probably would have been.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

S3 will be dealing with I3, no worries there. As for Sw, I'm getting a rules clarification before anything.

Music for the Round: Get Ready to Die. I always enjoy it when lyrics match up so well with the situation.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wow, that "Hot Hammer" is really living up to its nickname, eh?

It can't move, its LLAS doesn't work, and its turret is locked "south". It does have a MG on the front, though, so cue the TAC on the Rifleman's AC ammo.

Y'all see what I mean about wanting to shoot SRMs at vehicles?

Do note that the SRM Carrier is now unmasked!

Okay, I'm on it

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Update: thanks to V3's position it looks like I cannot move anywhere where the large tank can't fire on me. I guess I'll just have to hope he chooses a closer target, because Bobby is not one to play things safe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys are honestly still getting protagonist luck. You nailed that Warhammer with a bunch of big guns this turn, while managing to escape retribution despite having critically low armor on two mechs and a head-shot catapult.

If the Death Commandos can land even a couple shots each mech the Caballeros could be looking at 2+ ejections.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys are honestly still getting protagonist luck. You nailed that Warhammer with a bunch of big guns this turn, while managing to escape retribution despite having critically low armor on two mechs and a head-shot catapult.

If the Death Commandos can land even a couple shots each mech the Caballeros could be looking at 2+ ejections.

If they had protagonist luck then both enemy mechs would have cooked their ammo off, or we'd see a repeat of what happened with the enemy ace. Also the ground wouldn't be littered with the bodies of quite as many dead children.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also if they were BT protagonists, the only thing worse than their dialogue would be that of the female characters'.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Enemy Status
D1 WHM-6L Warhammer
Damage: None
Armament: 1 PPC, 1 medium laser, 2 small laser, 2 flamer
Notes:

Left arm destroyed! SRM 6 destroyed! Medium laser destroyed!

Sorry, just nitpicking, you did remove the weapons from armament.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Can anyone move to take a rear shot at the Warhammer?

Without its SRM-6, with low armor, and with a load of Infernos, it's likely to be dumping its ammunition (especially given its heat situation), and when dumping ammo a hit to the rear torso is an automatic ammunition critical hit (if I remember Megamek right).

I'd recommend exploiting that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Can anyone move to take a rear shot at the Warhammer?

Without its SRM-6, with low armor, and with a load of Infernos, it's likely to be dumping its ammunition (especially given its heat situation), and when dumping ammo a hit to the rear torso is an automatic ammunition critical hit (if I remember Megamek right).

Only the Lancelot, and then only barely. It's more viable for us to concentrate on the right side and try to tear off the second PPC. If the 'Hammer is reduced to 1xML/2xSL/2xFlamer? It might as well be dead at that point anyway.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think if the Texicans can make it through this turn in relative good order (i.e. losing only one mech instead of two) they've probably got this battle won. The tactical suggestions that I've seen so far have been very good, the only real suggestion that I have is for everyone who isn't baking in their mech (I'm looking at you, Bunny) alpha strike the living hell out of their targets. Now is not the time to hold back.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I think we're not in as bad a situation as that.

The Catapult's the one in real risk this turn - there's a good chance for a headkill, but also keep in mind that only some firepower can hit it: D2, D4, V1 and V3 have no way to hit it at all. D1 is basically crippled this turn, so only V2 and I3 have any way to do damage. While they're both almost guaranteed to hit, it means only about a third of the enemy's total firepower can fire at the Catapult. Of course, one more Inferno salvo from the infantry and she'll probably pop anyhow... but there's nothing to do about that. Still, I'd give the Catapult a 50/50 chance to survive, which is shocking when you shutdown in mid-battle.

The Hunchback's in good shape. V2 can't get LOS, D1 is too hot to get any real fire off, and both D2 and D4 are firing through woods into partial cover. It's painful to see a Hunchie at range 3 and not firing, but that's life. He's probably going to survive just fine, since very little firepower can be brought to bear. Might get unlucky, but I don't think so.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wow.

Infernos! :argh:

EDIT: Does our sniper team have a shot at the infantry harassing Firewalker (man, talk about an ironic name :haw: )?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Polaron posted:

EDIT: Does our sniper team have a shot at the infantry harassing Firewalker (man, talk about an ironic name :haw: )?

They do, and I am. Should be enough to finish them off if somebody else helps put the hurt on this turn.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Still, I'd give the Catapult a 50/50 chance to survive, which is shocking when you shutdown in mid-battle.

I can't tell if 1413 is in the LOS from Vindie to Cat, but if not, it's 9s to hit the Cat with PPC and LRM5. The Zhukov's SRMs only miss on snake-eyes, and if he wants to aim for the head with the AC/10s, he needs 10s*. Hell, even the Whammer hits the head on a 10* with the PPC, or only needs a 3 normally - if he decides to go out in a blaze. Poor Joe.

Which is a shame, since the most painless way to kill that SRM Carrier now that Bobby can't jump very far would be LRM Indirect from the Catapult. People complaining the Caballeros have had all the breaks go their way are invited to look at the Cat's armor - missing all of two points except for that headshot.

*and then a 6-8.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I can't tell if 1413 is in the LOS from Vindie to Cat, but if not, it's 9s to hit the Cat with PPC and LRM5. The Zhukov's SRMs only miss on snake-eyes, and if he wants to aim for the head with the AC/10s, he needs 10s*. Hell, even the Whammer hits the head on a 10* with the PPC, or only needs a 3 normally - if he decides to go out in a blaze. Poor Joe.

1413's in the way for the Vindie - terrain advantage to the defender. Which means there's 4 light woods hexes in the way and there's no LOS at all. Vindie can't hit. And the Warhammer's at +16 heat - +3 to hit, remember. It's iffy that the 'Hammer will even fire that PPC at all, given the risk of it. Shoot at the CPLT this turn, and the heat's gonna stay so high he'll still be screwed next turn. Next turn when the Hunchback's capable of firing again and they're still at range 3. Even Death Commandos aren't crazy enough to willingly hold stationary in front of a Hunchback like that. It's suicide.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

1413's in the way for the Vindie - terrain advantage to the defender. Which means there's 4 light woods hexes in the way and there's no LOS at all. Vindie can't hit. And the Warhammer's at +16 heat - +3 to hit, remember. It's iffy that the 'Hammer will even fire that PPC at all, given the risk of it. Shoot at the CPLT this turn, and the heat's gonna stay so high he'll still be screwed next turn. Next turn when the Hunchback's capable of firing again and they're still at range 3. Even Death Commandos aren't crazy enough to willingly hold stationary in front of a Hunchback like that. It's suicide.

I guess the LOS does nip the corner. Still, I suppose the Commando infantry could spot for the LRM5 if they really felt the need to get it involved.

The Whammer's numbers are with the heat mod. Short range, no movement, etc. As for suicide - he was carrying Inferno ammo. In a Warhammer. I don't think self-preservation is high on his list of priorities. He might actually punch out after this round, assuming the Galahad Lancelot doesn't eject him with a kick.

As for dumping ammo - MJ12, you're right about it exploding, but you have to announce it the previous turn, so everyone knows to come shoot you in the rear end.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 23, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Please please please shoot the 'pult with at least 20 damage so it falls down and/or one set of inferno missiles so it gains 6 heat and pilot gets one more hit. That effectively knocks it out of the fight.

Other prime targets are whatever dare come out of the woodworks into the killing fields. I'd love to see a lucky hit on Lancelot but solid hits into anything are good enough.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
At least the Warhammer's SRM launcher done got blowed up, so we (and by "we", I mean "I") don't have to worry about any more Infernos from him.

He didn't dump his ammo, though, so there's still a chance of causing an ammo explosion! Should I fire my small laser at him in a grand gesture of defiance?

Polaron fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ton for ton, the small laser is the best weapon in the game (1 heat for 3 damage). No other weapon at Tech Level 1 gets anywhere near that kind of efficiency. If you're close enough, do it.

Also, I can't advise trying to flank the Warhammer. That'd be a great way to eat the Zhukov's AC10s.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 23, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MadDogMike posted:

Mechwarrior 3 also got an official "novelization" ("Trial Under Fire"), so Damocles 1 (apparently officially real name "Connor Sinclair") and his fun little commando raid vs. the Smoke Jaguars is canon as well, though I think the actual opposition was toned down slightly to more sane levels.
Yeah, the novelisation was a LOT less nuts. He is refered to as Sinclair in the early briefings though, and in Pirate's Moon there's a lot of open-comms banter between you and the enemy, and they tend to shout "SINCLAAAAAAAAIR!" when you kill them.

MadDogMike posted:

Pretty sure the whole "Mechcommander" thing also got a reference somewhere (i.e. a guy somewhere else directing a lance) as a "new innovation" the Davion Guard used at Port Arthur, though can't remember the exact reference if my memory is right.
I need to get reading on this poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pinguliten posted:

Left arm destroyed! SRM 6 destroyed! Medium laser destroyed!

Ahhh you just gave me a mechwarrior 4 PTSD flashback. "WEAPON DESTROYED. WEAPON DESTROYED. WEAPON DESTROYED. DAMAGE CRITICAL."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

I need to get reading on this poo poo.

It's a throwaway line in the FCCW sourcebook that is never really referenced before or after.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doesn't mean I shouldn't go read that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, it does not mean that. The FCCWSB is one of my favorite sourcebooks ever.

• Locked thread