Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

David Pratt posted:

The sustain on my electric guitar seems to have suddenly dropped right off. Any obvious cause for this?

old strings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
After an hour and a half, only one pack of strings (!), and a couple of well-placed swear words, i'm done. I think part of my problem last night was that my D was out of tune, so it sounded different to start, because now I have zero problems. The only problems I had were A) keeping the high strings still so I could get them winding (I just had someone else hold the end up so that it would stay while I kept pressure closer to the nut) and B) the B was an rear end in a top hat and didn't seat right, but it works now so oh well. Speaking of A), what's a good way to solve the problem without callign someone over to use their fingers.

I'm at the best part now: playing it to work out the slack and settle the strings in.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Drifter287 posted:

You might need to adjust the truss rod or set your intonation. Are there any spots on the neck where sound cuts out completely if you bend?

Yeah, most of the frets after the 12th have extremely poor sustain, even when not bending.

Male on Sunday
Apr 2, 2010

by T. Finn
a 2$ turbo string winder is the best investment ever

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Dickeye posted:

After an hour and a half, only one pack of strings (!), and a couple of well-placed swear words, i'm done. I think part of my problem last night was that my D was out of tune, so it sounded different to start, because now I have zero problems. The only problems I had were A) keeping the high strings still so I could get them winding (I just had someone else hold the end up so that it would stay while I kept pressure closer to the nut) and B) the B was an rear end in a top hat and didn't seat right, but it works now so oh well. Speaking of A), what's a good way to solve the problem without callign someone over to use their fingers.

I'm at the best part now: playing it to work out the slack and settle the strings in.

I usually set my string up, pull out the slack and then with my opposite hand I hold the string at the 1st fret while I wind it up on the tuner post with my other hand (guitar standing vertically between my knees). This helps maintain even tension on the post while I'm winding.
I can post a pic if it helps.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

meatcookie posted:

I usually set my string up, pull out the slack and then with my opposite hand I hold the string at the 1st fret while I wind it up on the tuner post with my other hand (guitar standing vertically between my knees). This helps maintain even tension on the post while I'm winding.
I can post a pic if it helps.

I know what you're saying, but the problem comes when I get to about the B, when the bit sticking past the post doesn't like to stay even after I bend it, and it keeps loving up the tension.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

If I want to check the intonation on an electric or acoustic, what tuner should I be looking at buying?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

I know what you're saying, but the problem comes when I get to about the B, when the bit sticking past the post doesn't like to stay even after I bend it, and it keeps loving up the tension.

Is this an acoustic? I do what meatcookie does, hold the peg in with my knee and use one hand to turn the tuning peg, the other holds the string at the peg and guides it into place (I usually use my thumb to hold the string down so it wraps lower and lower around the peg.

Once it kinda grabs and you get tension it gets a whole lot easier, until then you want to make sure the string stays in place and the string's winding the way you want it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Electric. Getting it to wrap lower is easier, I just make sure that I'm applying tension in the middle: Keeps the end at the bridge from coming loose, and by keeping it taut after the first loop you basically ensure it's going to go down.

It's getting the string to grab and get tension that's hard on the high strings, because it's so thin that it just slips around and doesn't actually tighten unless you magically grow a third hand to hold it at the peg so that it doesn't slip, while still applying pressure by the nut to make sure that it wraps.

Male on Sunday
Apr 2, 2010

by T. Finn
I want to paint something on my acoustic washburn (natural finish), but I want it to be easily removable - can I just use watercolors?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

Electric. Getting it to wrap lower is easier, I just make sure that I'm applying tension in the middle: Keeps the end at the bridge from coming loose, and by keeping it taut after the first loop you basically ensure it's going to go down.

It's getting the string to grab and get tension that's hard on the high strings, because it's so thin that it just slips around and doesn't actually tighten unless you magically grow a third hand to hold it at the peg so that it doesn't slip, while still applying pressure by the nut to make sure that it wraps.

What kind of bridge is this? The only reason acoustics are tricky is because you have to hold the strings in with pegs, until you get some tension on them the pegs are liable to pop out - I haven't seen any electric guitars with that setup before

Anyhow try doing it like this, it should hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhdxCECcl4

Locking tuner supremacy :smugdog:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's actually a Squier Strat, so I've got to feed it from the back of the guitar up through. The real problem, and I'm obviously having trouble expressing it because I generally have no idea what I'm saying, is getting the higher strings to start to wrap around the post (please tell me I'm using the right word). The lower strings are easier, because they tend to slip around in the hole a lot less, but the B and high E are rotten assholes (again, for me) because they have no weight to keep them from slipping when you start to turn the key and I end up winding the extra bit of string or just losing it entirely, if I've already cut excess off.

e: Ah, see, I don't/didn't do that little knot thing that the video showed. I was taught to have the holes pointed straight down the neck and feed the string straight in, and I never learned about the extra little twist. Bookmarking that for future reference, because that'll solve hells of problems.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 20, 2011

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Dickeye posted:

It's actually a Squier Strat, so I've got to feed it from the back of the guitar up through. The real problem, and I'm obviously having trouble expressing it because I generally have no idea what I'm saying, is getting the higher strings to start to wrap around the post (please tell me I'm using the right word). The lower strings are easier, because they tend to slip around in the hole a lot less, but the B and high E are rotten assholes (again, for me) because they have no weight to keep them from slipping when you start to turn the key and I end up winding the extra bit of string or just losing it entirely, if I've already cut excess off.

e: Ah, see, I don't/didn't do that little knot thing that the video showed. I was taught to have the holes pointed straight down the neck and feed the string straight in, and I never learned about the extra little twist. Bookmarking that for future reference, because that'll solve hells of problems.

Sorry, forgot to mention that... the wound strings are easier because the windings help provide grip as the string passes through the tuner post, where the unwound strings have a harder time with that due to their smooth surface. I've found this effect to be magnified with smaller-gauged strings and I think it's due to the thinner diameter of the string providing less resistance when being tensioned.

Anyhow, with my unwounds, I pull them through, pull some slack back through, then, using my left-hand thumb, I bend the string sharply (in the opposite direction I'm winding it) as it comes out the post-hole and give it one or two complete windings then move my hand down, keeping tension on the string until I get down to the fretboard and proceed as I outlined earlier. Pick yourself up a string-winder. Helps tremendously and they're usually cheap as gently caress.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I suck at guitar; but I'm improving pretty nicely.

What sort of gear would I be eyeballing if I wanted to get like a late 50s rock / doo-wop sort of sound?

edit: Also; is an electric going to have tighter string spacing than my Seagull S6? I've been playing exclusively on the acoustic for a while now..

edit: VVV I figured a Strat or Tele + something simple was the answer. Would a telecaster do alright as well for that sort of feel?

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A strat and a delay I guess

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Regular set of 10s with a wound G.

I know what most of those words mean but I have no idea what they mean when put all together :(

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What all do I need to change the strings on my guitar?

Also, what's good for maintenance (cleaning/polishing/etc)?

There's like a billion products on samash.com but I have no idea what's actually worth using.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

crm posted:

I know what most of those words mean but I have no idea what they mean when put all together :(

"10s" is reference to the size of the high E string. It means .010 of an inch diameter or '10 gauge'. String set sizes are just commonly refered to by the gauge of the lightest string. Very often, you'll see the size of a set listed like '10-13-17-26-36-46', and that is just all the gauges of the strings in the set from high E to low E.

'10-13-17-26-36-46', incidentally, is known as "Regular". Terms such as "Regular", "Light", "Heavy" and "Medium" aren't really standard but generally the string companies are pretty close to each other. The gauges in a regular set are all pretty much the norm.

"Wound G", just means that the G string--giggity--is 'wound' like the low E, not 'plain' like the high E. If you look at the package, you'll see a 'w' beside the G string gauge, such as '10-13-17w-26-36-46'.

With all that said, regular 10s with a wound G are pretty hard to find. Typically a wound G is in a more medium/heavy set like 11-17-20w-32-42-52 (which is a size I used to put on a semi-hollow).

Hmmm...try these?

crm posted:

What all do I need to change the strings on my guitar?
Just fresh strings. A $2 string winder is a great investment. A $7 string winder with string clippers is a better investment.

crm posted:

Also, what's good for maintenance (cleaning/polishing/etc)?
Lemon oil (does not actually contain lemon) for your fretboard. Some folks prefer magical fretboard oils, but proper funiture oil that is 100% oil--no wax or silicone--is prefectly fine. Otherwise, paper towel and water with a tiny, tiny bit of mild dishwashing soap is all you need for cleaning. A microfibre polishing cloth will make you feel like your babying your guitar.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 23, 2011

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Is there a reason I haven't seen a fretless guitar?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Spider Crusoe posted:

I don't know, is there? :v:

There are a few out there, the one I remember is the Surfretter but I think there are a few others. I was going to say maybe they're not generally useful, compared to say a fretless bass - if you're playing several notes at once and getting them to sound good could be tricky etc., but looking around youtube there are actually a lot of great videos so who knows!

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Spider Crusoe posted:

Rondo does/did a fretless Agile.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Can anyone point a retard in the direction of a good tutorial which describes how to string an acoustic guitar? I can never seem to get the slack right, and I end up having too many or too few winds round the pegs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Can anyone point a retard in the direction of a good tutorial which describes how to string an acoustic guitar? I can never seem to get the slack right, and I end up having too many or too few winds round the pegs.

I've always gone with the rule of thumb that you pull it all the way through till it's taught, then pinch it at the nut and pull it back 2-3 frets.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

If you want a video, Care & Feeding Part 2 here shows you how.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a hondo strat copy I defretted. You can't really play chords on a fretless guitar. So it is only really good for noodling on.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What kind of quality can I expect from a Rondo guitar vs a similarly priced guitar from say, Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, etc etc etc? I'm buying an eight string in the next few months and will probably go the Rondo route. I'm just wondering what the differences are when it comes to the quality.

Also is there a company around that sells 8 string string packs yet?

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also is there a company around that sells 8 string string packs yet?
Ernie Ball.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

What kind of quality can I expect from a Rondo guitar vs a similarly priced guitar from say, Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, etc etc etc?

The pickups will sound a little muddy and the design might be a little uglier. The rest of the hardware (tuner, bridge) will feel really solid and it'll play very well, too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rt4 posted:

The pickups will sound a little muddy and the design might be a little uglier. The rest of the hardware (tuner, bridge) will feel really solid and it'll play very well, too.

That's good to know. I actually like the design more than any of the others I've seen which is a main reason i'm going with them. I can probably get them to order and install different pickups as well, right?

Spider Crusoe posted:

Ernie Ball.

Thanks? That's a lot easier than custom ordering strings.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can probably get them to order and install different pickups as well, right?

Eh I wouldn't count on that...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rt4 posted:

Eh I wouldn't count on that...

Hmm, I expected they would since you can customize your guitars before ordering and tell them what you want. I might just end up getting a RGA8 then.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Swapping pickups is as easy as a 10 min youtube video and a soldering iron. That easy, no joke.

I was on the fence for the longest time and just said gently caress it. Now I feel like a tard thinking it was something a professional or experienced solderingwiz should do.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Philthy posted:

Swapping pickups is as easy as a 10 min youtube video and a soldering iron. That easy, no joke.
Unless you are trying to do something crazy, like humbuckers on a telecaster. And working on a hollowbody/semi-hollow body can be tricky if you don't know the secret of tying strings around the pots.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm, I expected they would since you can customize your guitars before ordering and tell them what you want. I might just end up getting a RGA8 then.

Unless you get into their biannual custom batch, no you can't. And an RGA8's stock pickups are going to be even worse than the Agile's, probably.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Duck and burger posted:

Unless you get into their biannual custom batch, no you can't. And an RGA8's stock pickups are going to be even worse than the Agile's, probably.

Ah gotcha. I was mixed up, I meant RG2228. Realistically i'll end up with an Agile since the RG2228's price is ridiculously high for some reason.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Kilometers Davis posted:

RG2228's price is ridiculously high for some reason.

It's no Gibson, at least! Comes down a lot on resale, too. I'd rather get a custom for the price of a new RG2228.

Agiles are good! Do it!

While we're on the topic of eight-string pickups, DiMarzio 8s:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP819-DActivator-8String-Neck-Humbucker?sku=H71541
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP820-DActivator-8String-Bridge-Humbucker?sku=H71536

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Duck and burger posted:

It's no Gibson, at least! Comes down a lot on resale, too. I'd rather get a custom for the price of a new RG2228.

Agiles are good! Do it!

While we're on the topic of eight-string pickups, DiMarzio 8s:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP819-DActivator-8String-Neck-Humbucker?sku=H71541
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP820-DActivator-8String-Bridge-Humbucker?sku=H71536
After a poo poo load of research i'm getting this I think: http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepidpro830mnna.html It seems like it's universally loved as a stock product without even adding new pickups. Soundclips from youtube sound incredible.

Now I have to decide if i'm getting it or a Live 6 HD500 first. Why can't I have infinite money :(

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

After a poo poo load of research i'm getting this I think: http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepidpro830mnna.html It seems like it's universally loved as a stock product without even adding new pickups. Soundclips from youtube sound incredible.

Now I have to decide if i'm getting it or a Live 6 HD500 first. Why can't I have infinite money :(

that guitar looks loving rad. No comments on how it plays though, i have no idea.

I'm stuck for my next guitar.

I really, really, REALLY, want a lookalike of the Gibson Es355 (i think thats the one) in cherry red. Essentially, an epiphone dot in cherry red. (Is the casino worth essentially £200 more?) But, i also want an acoustic, but a 12 string, and i heard good things about the Yamaha FG720S 12 string, anyone have advice on either of these?

Benf199105 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 25, 2011

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Benf199105 posted:

Essentially, an epiphone dot in cherry red. (Is the casino worth essentially £200 more?)

The Dot is a semi-hollow, as is the ES-335. The Casino is a hollow body, which is different - the Casino is not merely an improved version of the Dot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benf199105
Apr 10, 2010

who cares posted:

The Dot is a semi-hollow, as is the ES-335. The Casino is a hollow body, which is different - the Casino is not merely an improved version of the Dot.

ah, really? i hadn't realised.

probably going to get the Dot due to me not wanting to spend £490+ on a Casino and i'm not wanting a full hollow body thinking about. think i'd prefer the semi hollow

Benf199105 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2011