Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Zogo posted:

When I've seen a movie in theatrical and then later in an extended/director's cut I usually prefer the theatrical. However, I tend to watch the extended cut if I've never seen something before.

When the option of having watermarks in the deleted/extended scenes is available I'll turn that feature on.

It seems like so many avaliable features for DVDs are ignored. Watermakring extra scenes is awesome and should be required.

The DVD for American Beauty should include the original version of the storyline.

Memento at least originally let you watch the movie in regular chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The worst "director" cut is Alien. Ridley Scott even admits its a cash grab and some of the deleted scenes make no sense due to the creation of the Alien Queen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is the Alexander director's cut worth watching?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

bobkatt013 posted:

The worst "director" cut is Alien. Ridley Scott even admits its a cash grab and some of the deleted scenes make no sense due to the creation of the Alien Queen.

The Director's Cut for Alien Resurrection was pretty bad. It added back in a bunch of Whedon-style dialogue that mostly fell flat and ruined scenes. I couldn't finish it. This is coming from someone who likes the Theatrical Cut of that movie.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

feedmyleg posted:

Is the Alexander director's cut worth watching?

No. It takes a pile of poo poo, spreads it out a bit and then puts some sprinkles on it.The only real difference is Jarod Leto gets alot more naked alot more often, so if that's your thing then go for it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just watched The Killing (1956) and really loved it. This was the earliest film I've seen that uses the skewed timeline device to show an event from differing perspectives, and I was wondering if this actually is the first film in which this was done.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caiman posted:

I just watched The Killing (1956) and really loved it. This was the earliest film I've seen that uses the skewed timeline device to show an event from differing perspectives, and I was wondering if this actually is the first film in which this was done.

Not at all. Citizen Kane is one of the more obvious examples.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rashomon was the first one I thought of, in any case

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Power and the Glory, 1933.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

The Power and the Glory, 1933.

I've wanted to see this for a while. UCLA apparently restored the film for Fox years ago, but it's totally MIA.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I hear it's poo poo, but I want to see it too. Something that ahead of curve deserves a chance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've seen both Rashomon and Citizen Kane. No idea why I didn't think of those.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

From his Wikipedia page

I guess they didn't delve too deeply into that in the movie.

kapalama posted:

It seems like so many avaliable features for DVDs are ignored. Watermakring extra scenes is awesome and should be required.

Yea, if I were King I'd make watermarks a required option and also outlaw the concept of pan&scan. Also no more stretching movies on TV.

And where are my 1080p TV stations? Does any company in the US do that yet?
I've read that some foreign countries have it available.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do so many dvds have a cardboard sleeve with artwork identical to the dvd cover? I guess I could understand if the cover were different, or if there were artwork on the back and it was the only way to specify features, but they're almost always completely the same. Is it just to make shoplifting harder or what?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many dvds have a cardboard sleeve with artwork identical to the dvd cover? I guess I could understand if the cover were different, or if there were artwork on the back and it was the only way to specify features, but they're almost always completely the same. Is it just to make shoplifting harder or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtOv_KJbD4A&t=17s

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BobKnob posted:

Where did all the American Football pads come from in the Mad Max movies come from? This is important.

Sporting goods stores! The production company is Australian, I can't imagine them ordering pads from America just for costumes.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Jack Gladney posted:

I know that in Quebec it's often a cheaper method of complying with bilingualism laws. No idea what the reason would be elsewhere.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

Sometimes they're shiny or embossed or use some other printing gimmick that they couldn't do otherwise, but whether they do that or not it's just to make it seem more like a "premium" product and make it stand out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's actually worse when there's a cardboard sleeve and it has different art. Because unless i've seen a friends copy, I'm at the story and I'm like oh I'm buying this movie and the cover looks like this. Then I get it home and find out that the cover of the actual case is some completely different art, and now I have to choose if I want to keep some stupid cardboard sleeve that I have to take off everytime I want to watch the movie, or if I like the art I didn't even know existed.

At least when it's the same art, I'm done making asthetic choices after I've bought the movie.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
On the other hand, I loving loooove when my PS3 games come with the embossed cardboard cover. Like he said, just feels premium. :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've never thought it looked premium, just legit. As in, not a bootleg.

Aside from that and the English/French issue we get here in Canada, I'd wish they'd go away as they're a terrible waste.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I like the sleeve because it gives the box corners.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Am I the only one who's getting sick of Nic Cage? Sorry, that should say Nic Cage, the meme. Now, I was one of the few people who willingly people who bought the Wicker Man (and continue to enjoy it's lunacy), I have watched both the Vampire's Kiss and Deadfall, and I've probably enjoyed the crazy YouTube videos of Cage as much as anyone else. However, with the release of Drive Angry 3D, it seems to be the end of the road for this meme. This movie seems to be the perfect conglomeration of crazy Nic Cage movies. What else is there? How much further can this go? To the next Ghost Rider film?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Am I the only one who's getting sick of Nic Cage? Sorry, that should say Nic Cage, the meme. Now, I was one of the few people who willingly people who bought the Wicker Man (and continue to enjoy it's lunacy), I have watched both the Vampire's Kiss and Deadfall, and I've probably enjoyed the crazy YouTube videos of Cage as much as anyone else. However, with the release of Drive Angry 3D, it seems to be the end of the road for this meme. This movie seems to be the perfect conglomeration of crazy Nic Cage movies. What else is there? How much further can this go? To the next Ghost Rider film?

Did you see who is directing the next Ghost Rider? Yes yes it can, and Nic Cage is awesome.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you see who is directing the next Ghost Rider? Yes yes it can, and Nic Cage is awesome.

Oh man, I must have missed that. I can't believe I am now interested in the second Ghost Rider film. :\

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

bobkatt013 posted:

Everything Neveldine/Taylor have done outside of Crank has been terrible. I have hard time getting excited about Ghost Rider 2 because I seem to remember those guys did another supernatural western-themed superhero movie and it blew hard.

They need to quit dicking around and make Crank 3 ASAP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

Everything Neveldine/Taylor have done outside of Crank has been terrible. I have hard time getting excited about Ghost Rider 2 because I seem to remember those guys did another supernatural western-themed superhero movie and it blew hard.

They wrote the script to Jonah Hex but didn't direct it and it seems that they weren't exactly using their script for the final movie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

muscles like this? posted:

They wrote the script to Jonah Hex but didn't direct it and it seems that they weren't exactly using their script for the final movie.

I knew they didn't direct it, but I wasn't aware their script had been changed. Still, they should do Crank 3D right loving now. The 3D camcorders they were waiting for are available.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

What's the song that plays over the opening of The Bank Job?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Encryptic posted:

What's the song that plays over the opening of The Bank Job?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEhDrJzM8E ?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Rake Arms posted:

They wrote/directed "Gamer," which is easily the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twin Cinema posted:

Am I the only one who's getting sick of Nic Cage? Sorry, that should say Nic Cage, the meme.

No, you're not. It's worse than Chuck Norris.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Binowru posted:

They wrote/directed "Gamer," which is easily the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater.

You didn't have the pleasure of seeing Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever in the theater then.

Lucky you.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

FitFortDanga posted:

No, you're not. It's worse than Chuck Norris.

Nothing is worse than Chuck Norris

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Binowru posted:

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad. Interesting premise, interesting execution. It's no Inception but hey, it was on netflix instant and worth an hour and a half on a saturday.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Glass Joe posted:

You didn't have the pleasure of seeing Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever in the theater then.

Lucky you.

You must not have scene "The New Avengers' in the theatres then. 'Ecks vs. Sever' was Citizen Kane by comaprison.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
I want to buy a Hitchcock blu ray, but have only seen Psycho and would like to get something else. What is a good non Psycho Hitchcock blu ray recommendation?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sursumdeorsum posted:

I want to buy a Hitchcock blu ray, but have only seen Psycho and would like to get something else. What is a good non Psycho Hitchcock blu ray recommendation?

Vertigo, Rear Window, Birds, any of them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sursumdeorsum posted:

It is the duty of anyone who likes movies to watch Rear Window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It is the duty of anyone who likes movies to watch Rear Window.

Agreeing with this. After Psycho and Rear Window, if you want a third Hitchcock I'd recommend North by Northwest.