Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Anyone interested in a B4 roller, say $60 shipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

open24hours posted:

Although I have nothing to compare it to, the whole thing seems pretty flimsy. I guess I'll have to wait and see how well it holds up.

This is the motor it uses http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53068

The Tamiya TT-01 with it's bathtub chassis is probably the most durable on road RC car there is. They are tanks of cars. Probably the best overall car you can buy. Not the best in any single category other than durability but the best overall.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Here's my current fleet:

And to think, I picked up my first ever non-toy RC in October... this hobby's taking me over and I love it!

I went to my first off-road race Saturday at Phil Hurd Raceway in Savannah. It was tough!!! I wound up placing 5/7 in my heats and finishing 4th in the B-main with my Blitz ESE. When I could hold it together and drive, the truck was unquestionably one of the fastest on the track, but the lack of experience kept putting me further back. In the smoother, easier sections, there wasn't anyone I couldn't run down and pass, but I'd wind up making some stupid mistake or I'd get greedy and try to take the jumps only to wind up on my lid.

Can't wait to try it again! With some practice and some tweaking to my truck, I'm pretty sure I can get it out front for more than a lap.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

TremorX posted:

I went to my first off-road race Saturday at Phil Hurd Raceway in Savannah.

Oh nice! I may be heading down there for the 5th race of the 2011 Georgia Championship Series. That is if I can get my Ve8 together before Saturday for Round 2 at Dalton. I already missed Round 1 and if I miss another one it won't be worth going.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Oh nice! I may be heading down there for the 5th race of the 2011 Georgia Championship Series. That is if I can get my Ve8 together before Saturday for Round 2 at Dalton. I already missed Round 1 and if I miss another one it won't be worth going.

Sweet! I'll probably head up there to watch it. I live near Brunswick, so it's not too far out of the way. I figure if I ever get to where I'm in A-Mains consistently I'll give the GCS a try, it looks like a lot of fun.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

needknees posted:

Anyone interested in a B4 roller, say $60 shipped?

Yes, have a pic or two? you can post them or send them to me at tddshizzy @ gmail.com

Thanks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iqarus posted:

i came in here looking for info on drift R/C's. that tamiya is designed for drift right ?

they seem decently priced in comparison to some of the other "high end" brands.

whats the quality like, do they have a brushed motor ?

There are a few cars out there marketed directly at "Drifting", but sans a few options out there, most of them are very inexpensive/cheapened out versions of higher level chassis'. You can take any 1/10 Touring car, and make it a "drift" car with a flashy paint job, and a set of drift tires which are essentially a plasticized rubber making them very hard with just a little grip. HPI Racing has a slew of great drifting option parts that are universal in application when it comes to bodies, tires, wheels, and body accessories. I have an S15 Silvia, with the "Body tuner kit type A", some XSA Wheels, and Falken Azenis tires on a Hot Bodies Cyclone S chassis. Check out their option parts for drifting here: http://www.hpiracing.com/drift/
They have an E10 RTR drifter, but it is kind of...underwhelming. The Sprint 2 Drift, or Cyclone Drift are not bad starters. If you want something lustworthy out of the gate, then check out what some options from Tamiya can look like:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=84132

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Well, looks like I'm going to miss the 2nd round of the GSC series this Saturday. I finish putting my Ve8 together and was going to install the electronics tonight. I opened up my Rx8 box only to find my on/off switch wires shredded. Gotta send it back to Tekin and who knows how long it will take to get fixed/replaced under warranty.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
^^^
That's terrible! Hopefully you get it back quickly.

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Yes, have a pic or two? you can post them or send them to me at tddshizzy @ gmail.com

Thanks.

lovely cell phone pics but here you go!

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

needknees posted:

lovely cell phone pics but here you go!

Thanks for the pics. Not sure if I am going to race a buggy class this year, so I will probably hold off, unless some extra money and time comes my way to just get this to mess with.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
New car day. I picked up a Losi Micro SCT. I bought it for $109.99 at a new hobby shop. The "chicago toy company" at Hawthorne mall in Vernon Hills.

They have a foam mat race course setup in their retail shop. It's like driving with velcro on the tires.

Before I bought the car, I asked if I could try one. They rent cars there. Mostly the Losi 1/24 rally cars, but they do some other stuff too. He asked me if I had driven r/c cars before. I couldn't think of any witty way of telling him I got my first r/c car 20 or 25 years ago...

They rent the cars for $5 for 15 mins. (you get to run the battery out..)

They're looking at starting a racing series using these cars. I would have bought the rally car, but I live in a messy house, and a truck will handle crap better.

It's not very quick. But it's plenty fast for the size of the course there, and for bashing around the house. I will be making some LiPo batteries for it. (Losi's are $37! The cells are $2 each...) And while I am at it, I will make some lipo packs for my mini-z's. And it takes 130 sized motors.... so the whole mini-z hop up market will fit.

eames
May 9, 2009

Well, I ordered some stuff from Hobbyking for $111 including shipping back in October (see page 32/33) and nothing has arrived yet.

I sent them an email around Christmas and they replied today, stating the they have shipped all of the items but they came back. I never received a tracking number, shipping notice or message from the post office.
They stated that they will either ship out the parcel again for a payment of $70 (???) or give me a $41 (???) store credit. I have no idea how they come up with these wild numbers. Guess the prices were too good to be true after all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've always had good (but slow) experiences with Hobby King out of China, the US warehouse is really fast, but that ship has sailed for you already.

I'd keep at them, they will probably move on those numbers.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I recently got into RC with an AX10 Scorpion AWD rock crawler (since it seemed like it would be more fun to do things other than driving quickly.) The other day, I was driving it around my house when I noticed the steering was off. A better description would be "lovely." When I turn the wheel while the car is flipped on its back, the steering servo is extremely responsive, and the wheels turn very quickly, but when it's on the ground, it almost never steers anymore - it just sticks with the direction the wheels were pointed after I set it down. I found this strange after it worked so well (I never took it apart), and suddenly it seems to have decided to simply not work. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for what to check? The servo is just a few weeks old, I have no idea how it could have gotten wrecked so quickly. :(

YarPirate fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 24, 2011

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Take the servo horn off and check that it isn't stripped. It may have enough grab to turn when there isn't much drag, but setting it on the ground and it slips.

eames- That really sucks. I took a chance and ordered a 4s lipo from them about three weeks ago and it arrived within four days. But I've heard lots of horror stories about their customer service. I figured that I could spend $175 and buy a battery from Protek or take a $40 chance with them. Luckily it arrived, but there was no paperwork, no receipt, nothing. I'm still nervous the batt will explode in my face.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Both my turnigy batteries work just fine, and ordering from the USA warehouse I got them in 3 days :shobon:.

Also if anyone was curious, a 6.5t in a buggy is pretty loving retarded

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My lipos came in the mail saturday. 250mah, 7.4v... Now I need to solder on a new connector on my truck. I don't like having 1 vehicle with the wrong connector on it. Goodbye losi custom, and hello JST

Also there's something about paying $35 for three batteries from a US company, rather than spending $37 for the losi logo...

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 28, 2011

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
New to this thread and didn't find anything while scanning through a few pages...does anyone know of a good/cheap and reputable site for buying parts, accessories, etc. off of??

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well I feel dirty now. The stock battery connector on the truck was made of high strand count, and silicone coated wire. .... my JST connectors are low strand count pvc coated wire.

But they're in, and holy hell is this thing fast with lipos in it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

AzCoug posted:

New to this thread and didn't find anything while scanning through a few pages...does anyone know of a good/cheap and reputable site for buying parts, accessories, etc. off of??

http://amainhobbies.com
http://stormerhobbies.com
http://towerhobbies.com
http://ampdraw.com

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I have used amainhobbies for pretty much all my purchase needs. The site layout is really well done, and with their USPS priority shipping (usually the cheapest) I get my stuff in 2 days. I cant complain about their prices either.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah, AMainHobbies and Tower get entirely too much of my money.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

If your going to do lots of big purchases go with the super savers club at tower hobbies. I got $100 off of my Ve8 with a Tekin Rx8 1900kv motor with their club discounts. It cost $10, but well worth it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

5x420ma lipos ordered. Just the right size to fit into the AAA battery bays on a Mini-Z. Also 2cell balance plugs and some 4 cell balance plugs ordered. The 4 cell is for my friends nerf stampede, that was recently retrofitted with LiIon cells.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looking at getting a bigger 2C 5800 Lipo pack for my car.

However just found out my Lipo charger will only go up to 5400. Doh.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It ill probably charge a 5800 mAh battery just fine but it will take longer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

When it comes to charging batteries, I think I'll take the safe route and upgrade my charger. The old Team Orion Advantage I am currently using is a few years old, and even then I brought it second hand from a friend.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think you'll just be wasting your money (better spent on more packs) if you want to upgrade your charger for a mere 400mAh. It will just take a few minutes longer to charge, that's all. When that charger came out (probably the same one I have) it's likely that 5400mAh was the largest foreseeable battery capacity at that time, that's all.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
On the subject of batteries, I ordered some Gens Ace batteries from hobbypartz today. They are ROAR approved hard packs... read some good reviews on them, interested to see how they perform.

...and it looks like I will be venturing into the world of 1/8th scale here pretty soon :q:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

I think you'll just be wasting your money (better spent on more packs) if you want to upgrade your charger for a mere 400mAh. It will just take a few minutes longer to charge, that's all. When that charger came out (probably the same one I have) it's likely that 5400mAh was the largest foreseeable battery capacity at that time, that's all.
Ah well, the balancer died on the charger last night, so time to upgrade.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

Ah well, the balancer died on the charger last night, so time to upgrade.

Good timing! :)

Has anyone tried a 1/8th brushless system in a Super Electric? I've got a rolling chassis that hasn't run in a while and I'm pretty curious to see how it will run with the BMW LMR V12 body...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Next round of upgrades = bearings and lipo for the golf, and lipo for the GT-R.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

We have a point series starting tomorrow at one of the local tracks. Figured it was time to toss out the busted and old body and paint a new one up. And let me tell you, it's been a long time since I've painted.

wanted to run the same colors as my GT2. Also will paint my Ve8 in this scheme.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats everyones thoughts on keeping lipos at full charge? I've read that its not good for them to sit at full charge, and that it decreases their capacity, but I've also read that its not a big deal.

Thoughts?

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I wouldn't leave a battery fully charged for more than 48 hours personally. Ideally if the packs are going to be sitting around for a while you should discharge them so each cell is about at 3.85v or so. Some of the more advanced chargers like the iCharger have a storage discharge specifically for that purpose.

The packs aren't going to let out magic smoke or anything if you don't do this, but you risk losing cycles and battery life in general as the packs discharge over time. I'm sure somebody else can give a better explanation on this.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That really makes no sense to me. one of the big selling points of lithium cells is that they have very good self discharge rates.

Now with li-po packs I could see the concern about carrying a several watthour bomb in your pocket.....

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

My charger has a storage mode so I always use that. Charges/discharges it to 70%. Actually just got back from a race and it's on the charger now. I don't really know what the deal is, but most manufacturer's recommend it, so I do it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I picked up this little guy at the weekend, isn't it cute?

Great fun for messing around on the living room floor (gets even better the more junk I've left lying around). All set with nice low gearing and pretty sticky tyres. Only the front axle steers, but the transmission is all spools, no differentials.

The sole flaws I've found are that you have to remove the body to get at the charging cable, and the cable for the steering servo is stiff enough that its routing effectively raises the spring rate on one corner much higher than the others.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

If your going to do lots of big purchases go with the super savers club at tower hobbies. I got $100 off of my Ve8 with a Tekin Rx8 1900kv motor with their club discounts. It cost $10, but well worth it.

I had to snatch the transmission out of my son's Blitz and throw it in mine to race this weekend, and my brother in law didn't realize the rear bumper assembly just swings out of the way and removed the whole thing. Sadly, it got lost or left behind or something, and now my son's truck has no rear. I was going to just buy the parts trees and other assorted bits to replace it, but it wound up being like $125 worth of parts, most of which are little more than basic molded plastic. So, gently caress it, I ordered a second ESE kit to use for parts. I figure, by the time I figure in things like new shocks, extra gears, etc., it'd be more cost effective to just have a second kit to swipe from.

Anyway, I signed up for their super savers club with that purchase, and was able to get that kit, some extra shock oil (wanted something thinner), and next-day shipping for less than what I could get just the kit sent with UPS ground on AMain. Since I'm going to Psycho Nitro Blast this weekend, I kinda need it now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

TremorX posted:

Since I'm going to Psycho Nitro Blast this weekend, I kinda need it now...

Man, I wish I was going. my replacement Rx8 from tekin is suppose to be here Wednesday, but we are in the middle of finishing up our game at work and I'm super swamped. It's too bad it's not a month later.