Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Peyote Prophet posted:

Is there any christian anime?

I do not mean christian CARTOONS I mean anime. I have a weakness for anime but my mom said its evil :/ But if I can find a christian one she will let me watch it?

The only one I know of is Superbook but that is intended for a very young audience. I would try convincing your mom that Neon Genesis Evangelion is a Christian allegory, which wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grok
Jul 23, 2006

ZOMBIE uses BITE!
It's super effective!
Lipstick Apathy
A customer at work was talking about a type of white wine only served in park of the UK, but he was so heavily accented I didn't get the name of it. (It is drunk by farmers or something.)

It was something like "sarapigo". Any ideas?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

The Peyote Prophet posted:

Is there any christian anime?

I do not mean christian CARTOONS I mean anime. I have a weakness for anime but my mom said its evil :/ But if I can find a christian one she will let me watch it?

I've never seen it but Bible Black has "bible" in the title so try that out, hope this helps!

a fellow creative
Sep 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I've never seen it but Bible Black has "bible" in the title so try that out, hope this helps!

Um it has boobs on the covor??? my mom would not let me watch the pevert stuff moron!!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
This has to be a troll.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

It's one more place that I have to give info to. I was hoping to find a replacement for all places I had been using the Paypal for. I just happen to be needing one for Amazon right now, but.

I guess I need to look for a credit card, or better yet a debit card issuing bank, that has this service. Any suggestions for such a place?

What I want is an online bank that offers a debit card that includes the ability to generate temporary credit card number like the PayPal plug in used to.

Why in the world would you rather use a debit card for online purchases than a credit card? You're not liable for fraudulent charges on a credit card (or at the very most a $50 maximum). Debit card charges on the other hand come straight out of your bank account and are a lot harder to undo.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

cosmicjim posted:

This has to be a troll.

He is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368094&userid=167816

Although the fruitbat bit made me laugh.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

stubblyhead posted:

Why in the world would you rather use a debit card for online purchases than a credit card? You're not liable for fraudulent charges on a credit card (or at the very most a $50 maximum). Debit card charges on the other hand come straight out of your bank account and are a lot harder to undo.

I do not want to use either. I want to use a one time card number, but Paypal stopped offering the service.

I do not want to use actual credit cards for anything. But I have to use a number that looks like a credit card online.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does PayPal even know it's a virtual number? I thought the whole idea was that only the credit card company knew.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

cosmicjim posted:

This has to be a troll.

Of course it is, he could just take the cover off the dvd first so his mom doesn't get angry

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kapalama posted:

I do not want to use either. I want to use a one time card number, but Paypal stopped offering the service.

I do not want to use actual credit cards for anything. But I have to use a number that looks like a credit card online.
Get a checking account (do you have one?) and a check card. You use it exactly like a credit card (anywhere, including through paypal), but it deducts money from your checking account so you never spend money you don't have and aren't charged interest.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Someone who's paranoid about giving a traditional CC # to amazon should no way in hell be giving a bank's debit card # out to anyone.

kapalama: maybe a reloadable debit card? It's not a one time # like you want but you could load it up with only the amount you want to spend each time. If someone gets your # and tries to buy poo poo they will fail cause there's nothing there. Walgreens has them and gas stations too.

Comedy option: just keep your regular credit card maxed all the time so no fraudulent purchases go through. When you want to buy $60 in gas, pay $60 of the balance off.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 24, 2011

HOT BRITISH SEX
Jun 12, 2007

She's just coming, sir.
e:I'm an idiot, my question was answered on the previous page!

HOT BRITISH SEX fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 24, 2011

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
Are more or less all American cell phone plans (or at least ones in the Northeast) nationwide, i.e. no extra charge to call to any area code? Recently re-relocated Canadian here and I need to know this. It seems to be that way but I just want to make sure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pork minstral posted:

Are more or less all American cell phone plans (or at least ones in the Northeast) nationwide, i.e. no extra charge to call to any area code? Recently re-relocated Canadian here and I need to know this. It seems to be that way but I just want to make sure.

As far as I know, there's no cell phone company that charges extra as long as the calls are still in the US. I know people who bought east coast numbers even through they live in the west coast just so their nights and weekends start earlier.

I imagine it would be a nightmare tracking that stuff with congested placed of the country if they did, especially places with an overlay (I have to dial another area code to reach my neighbor.)

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

BorderPatrol posted:

As far as I know, there's no cell phone company that charges extra as long as the calls are still in the US. I know people who bought east coast numbers even through they live in the west coast just so their nights and weekends start earlier.
Great, thanks! Also, good on your friends for ingenuity.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BorderPatrol posted:

I know people who bought east coast numbers even through they live in the west coast just so their nights and weekends start earlier.

Does it really work that way? I always assumed they did it based on your actual location, since they definitely are able to do that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pork minstral posted:

If you use the big 4 carriers you don't have that, nor do you have roaming charges for making a call outside a certain area (like Canadian plans also have).

Also getting a phone number in a different area code won't change when nights and weekends starts, they know where your phone is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Does it really work that way? I always assumed they did it based on your actual location, since they definitely are able to do that.

They may have changed it, it was years ago when my coworkers did this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BorderPatrol posted:

They may have changed it, it was years ago when my coworkers did this.

Your nights and weekends are mostly based on what home address you give. Just asking for a different area code won't get you different hours.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
What is the deal with this:

http://www.getmotivated.com/

It reeks of religious or political stuff but I can't figure it out. Basically they have like the big name speakers and have a one price per group (unlimited amount of people).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My laptop has a charcoal gloss finish, so it gets smudged enough as it is. There are a few dumb stickers on the corner of it (Intel Inside, Energy Star, and Windows 7; those types)

Is there any way to remove them without leaving behind any gunk or residue?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Has there ever been a case of a loan to a country being found unenforcable because the money was siphoned off by a corrupt government, and the lender did not do enough to prevent this?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

Get a checking account (do you have one?) and a check card. You use it exactly like a credit card (anywhere, including through paypal), but it deducts money from your checking account so you never spend money you don't have and aren't charged interest.

I do not want to give random internet places my real (credit or debit) card number. I want to be able to generate one time use credit numbers, like paypal used to do, and apparently some credit card servicers still do.

When someone asked about this earlier, someone suggested that their bank did this service for them. Which bank does this?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Mak0rz posted:

My laptop has a charcoal gloss finish, so it gets smudged enough as it is. There are a few dumb stickers on the corner of it (Intel Inside, Energy Star, and Windows 7; those types)

Just peel them up and then get the adhesive off with something. Alcohol + paper towel or alcohol wipes from the first aid cabinet have always worked fine for me* on any kind of plastic without hurting it.

*but it supposedly can be bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Use a hair dryer to melt the glue before peeling off the sticker.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kapalama posted:

I do not want to give random internet places my real (credit or debit) card number. I want to be able to generate one time use credit numbers, like paypal used to do, and apparently some credit card servicers still do.

When someone asked about this earlier, someone suggested that their bank did this service for them. Which bank does this?

I can't tell you which bank does this, but dear god, you'll trust a company as skeevy as paypal with your CC number but not Amazon? What kind of magical delusional fantasy land do you live in? Just sign up for Amazon and only use merchants that accept Amazon Payments or PayPal and forget using credit cards altogether.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I went to a website that just showed me what was on (new) episode wise tv every night, anyone recall what I am talking about?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I went to a website that just showed me what was on (new) episode wise tv every night, anyone recall what I am talking about?

tvguide.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

There's tons a TV listing sites, your question is a bit vauge.

http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do
http://www.tvshark.com/tonight/

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Mak0rz posted:

Rip them off and then wipe away with some Goo Gone. Stuff works wonders.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

thelightguy posted:

I can't tell you which bank does this, but dear god, you'll trust a company as skeevy as paypal with your CC number but not Amazon? What kind of magical delusional fantasy land do you live in? Just sign up for Amazon and only use merchants that accept Amazon Payments or PayPal and forget using credit cards altogether.

It's not for Amazon, it's for random places on the internet.

Not two months ago someone asked this question, in this thread, and got answers to who does the issuing of one time used credit card numbers. I just need the same info that someone else got in this thread, that at the time I did not bookmark.

I just want to know someone who provides the service of issuing one time use credit card numbers for dealing with random places on the internet. That's all.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

My Comcast connection has been ridiculously slow in the evenings and mornings. What can I try before calling Comcast to fix the issue? So far I've tried a couple different computers, powering off the modem and router, and connecting to just the modem. When I try speedtest.net, the latency and download speeds are normal, but the upload always fails. If I ping from the command line, I get timeouts about every ten attempts.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

BorderPatrol posted:

http://www.tvshark.com/tonight/

Awesome, that was it (or like it). I just want to see what new episodes of whatever is on.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kapalama posted:

It's not for Amazon, it's for random places on the internet.

Not two months ago someone asked this question, in this thread, and got answers to who does the issuing of one time used credit card numbers. I just need the same info that someone else got in this thread, that at the time I did not bookmark.

I just want to know someone who provides the service of issuing one time use credit card numbers for dealing with random places on the internet. That's all.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101016104847AAmIvwk

All the companies I know of (AmEx, citibank, and paypal) that offered that service have discontinued it. The rise of payment processors more suited to internet use, such as PayPal, Amazon Payments, and Google Checkout have rendered one-off credit card numbers obsolete. (Which were always a lousy hack designed to provide an extra measure of security to a payment system that was never meant to be used without a physical presence anyway.)

So let me repeat,

thelightguy posted:

only use merchants that accept Amazon Payments or PayPal and forget using credit cards altogether.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 25, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My question is about USA and 'freedom of speech'. As far as I can tell, the only difference between USA and other first world countries is that some speech is classified 'hate speech' in other countries, that you can say in the USA. WBC would not be legal in most first world countries. Is that the only difference? I mean, you can say you 'loving hate the queen' or whatever in the UK and I don't think it's illegal, is it?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

redreader posted:

My question is about USA and 'freedom of speech'. As far as I can tell, the only difference between USA and other first world countries is that some speech is classified 'hate speech' in other countries, that you can say in the USA. WBC would not be legal in most first world countries. Is that the only difference? I mean, you can say you 'loving hate the queen' or whatever in the UK and I don't think it's illegal, is it?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Laws concerning hate speech outside of obscenity, defamation and incitement to riot are illegal in the United States.[36][37][38] The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.[39] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent.[40] This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities.[41]

So basically, in the US, hate speech is legal, but defamation, obscenity and incitement to riot are not; but even then, it's up to a judge to determine if the speech in question fits one of those categories or not. There aren't any pre-determined words or groups of words that are illegal in every case.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it normal to have to power cycle my cable modem and/or router once or twice a week? My internet keeps going out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Is it normal to have to power cycle my cable modem and/or router once or twice a week? My internet keeps going out.

No. Get your poo poo fixed.

DVD Drive posted:

What's that thing that happens to some Jews where when they're talking their voice sometimes gets lower and it sounds almost like they're yawning? Is it some kind of disorder?

Is there a website where you can set up a list of tv shows you want to know when their next season will start, instead of having to check each show's Wikipedia page or whatever?

TV Squad posts a pretty comprehensive list every month.

This site has a list of upcoming premieres in a Google Calendar format that you can merge with your gCal and setup notifications for it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 25, 2011