Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Wootcannon posted:

Also, does anyone remember that TV show that was somewhat similar to Doc Martin, except the Doctor in this case was 1) involved in a train crash of some kind and 2) had a family? The last episode I saw involved him diving off the boat to the mainland and swimming back to his family (I think the wife was shagging someone else or something), it's been bugging me for ages.

Ahhh Goddamn you, I now can't stop thinking about that programme but I've also forgotten the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Junior Doctors on BBC 3 is an odd little show. The narration seems to be aimed at 10 year olds (respiratory wards are for people with breathing trouble!) and the doctors themselves seem really far out of their depth. There's also a healthy dose of BBC3's "young" production style, with endless snippets of songs punctuating the action. What's more depressing is the overall state of the hospital they're at. It looks like something out of the mid 90's, with so much paperwork and so little implementation of electronic patient records and everything looks every so slightly banged up. It's not remotely fair to compare it to some of hospitals over here in the States due to the different sources of funding etc, but drat.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone else been watching "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day"? Firstly, it's damned entertaining, but you also learn a good bit about Roman building techniques on the side.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 24, 2011

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

J33uk posted:

Junior Doctors on BBC 3 is an odd little show. The narration seems to be aimed at 10 year olds (respiratory wards are for people with breathing trouble!) and the doctors themselves seem really far out of their depth. There's also a healthy dose of BBC3's "young" production style, with endless snippets of songs punctuating the action. What's more depressing is the overall state of the hospital they're at. It looks like something out of the mid 90's, with so much paperwork and so little implementation of electronic patient records and everything looks every so slightly banged up. It's not remotely fair to compare it to some of hospitals over here in the States due to the different sources of funding etc, but drat.

How are BBC 3 still getting away with that horrible youth production style? I can't think of a single demographic it will actually appeal to and it reminds me of that horrible time during the 90's where every channel thought it would be cool to get awkward spotty teenagers who have been on TV before to present programs which almost always consisted of "You don't like young people do you Mr Politician? ... Here's Kula Shaker!"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Uncertain Frog posted:

How are BBC 3 still getting away with that horrible youth production style? I can't think of a single demographic it will actually appeal to and it reminds me of that horrible time during the 90's where every channel thought it would be cool to get awkward spotty teenagers who have been on TV before to present programs which almost always consisted of "You don't like young people do you Mr Politician? ... Here's Kula Shaker!"

Hey hey hey don't knock kula shaker!

I don't know how that production style has managed to keep around, I worked on a show for Living once and the notes came back that it needed to be more up-tempo, so it ended up constantly having music the entire way through. When I saw the final offline cut it was one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen/heard.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
What annoys me is just how boring and predictable the music choices are. It's basically a round up of last year's top 10 hits with one or two songs with lyrics that are annoyingly and vaugley related to what is going on (e.g. every time there is a poker game Poker Face will now be played.)

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

What annoys me is just how boring and predictable the music choices are. It's basically a round up of last year's top 10 hits with one or two songs with lyrics that are annoyingly and vaugley related to what is going on (e.g. every time there is a poker game Poker Face will now be played.)

Welcome to the modern world of shooting APs, self editing, and dubious ethical practices. If you want to see what tv could look like if its produced well by crafts people go watch Top Gear or something with Attenborough or Brian Cox Presenting.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Unfortunate that you mention Brian Cox, because it reminds me that watching any BBC science program consists of 10 seconds of original CGI footage used continuously, using 3 seconds from different points for the whole program. Arrgghhhhh!!!

Also the new masterchef is doing a good job at making me mad at people crying.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Shelf Adventure posted:

That's the worst thing about Gavin and Stacy. I really liked it as a sitcom, but the music choice is atrocious. It's almost anti-imagination. They just grabbed the top 20 playlist from six months before the show was filmed and threw a dart at it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Madagascar: a land of diversity and amazing plants and animals, here have 45 minutes of lemurs with a couple of minutes for all the other types of creature.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
Just caught up with the last episode of Episodes and I really enjoyed it!

I've been watching it on my lunch breaks, it was perfect for that, just something easy to watch that I could pop on.

Matt LeBlanc was surprisingly brilliant in it. His high five at the end was ace

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Friday Night Dinner ~extended~ preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxs7phFtT4k

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tsaedje posted:

Madagascar: a land of diversity and amazing plants and animals, here have 45 minutes of lemurs with a couple of minutes for all the other types of creature.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with one of the most awesome groups of terrestrial vertebrates.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't mind them being on it, it's the amount they've been on it. There's been 3 episodes and the vast majority of each has been lemurs. Some of us like other species than primates, the snippets of other things have been really good.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I guess if you're covering madagascar, you want to focus on the things that differ from other parts of the tropics. That's basically lemurs, fossas, tenrecs and chameleons (there are some of those elsewhere but Madagascar has the highest diversity). Fossas are hard to find and there's only the one species and tenrecs, as awesome as they are, are not that photogenic. More chameleons is always good though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah you just have to remember that it's a BBC documentary, even though Madagascar is a place with ridiculously high endemism, Lemurs are the most charismatic and filmable, as well as being really well studied in most cases.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Basically I just want a chameleons, crazy bugs and crazy birds hour :colbert:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

HERAK posted:

Welcome to the modern world of shooting APs, self editing, and dubious ethical practices. If you want to see what tv could look like if its produced well by crafts people go watch Top Gear or something with Attenborough or Brian Cox Presenting.

Whoever does the sound for Top Gear really overuses Hans Zimmers music though.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Padje posted:

The closest cinema to my flat is the oldest in the UK (apparently). They serve cured meats with olives, slices of cake and cups of tea on saucers. It's fine in concept, but watching the people trying to quickly eat it before they even get seated, so as not to try and pilot greasy or crumbly food into their mouth in the dark, with nowhere to rest a teacup, is sad and ridiculous. You walk out after the film and there are plates on the floor.

Are you talking about the Electric? Their tortilla chips are still a bit expensive though :( But they do sell some proper local ale (Purity).

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

John_Anon_Smith posted:

Aye, I've been having a watch of it and it's great. He must base his sketches on real life a lot more than I thought, originally. I say this because when I went to see Four Tet last year in Glasgow, we went back to the west end for a wee party till the small hours. Then someone knocks on our door (sans a bottle of wine) and it's a really pissed off limmy. He's like "I'd join your party but I don't have any drink. It's 4am and I need to be up. Please turn down the music". He's very polite irl and for the rest of the night everybody did shut up and our only conversation was hyperactive "that was limmy at the door" whispers.

Yeah he definitely takes all his inspiration from real-life because one day he was hanging about outside my house & I tried to rob him of his laptop & phone.

Looking forward to the next episode tonight (On BBC 2 Scotland at 10pm), can't recommend it enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYoEpVXFbs

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I watched that Limmy thing only because someone posted a link and I wanted to watch something. I'd never heard of Limmy or his show before, does it not get advertised/shown in england or have I just missed it? Anyway, I liked it, especially that sketch with the stoner watching childrens tv. is he a regular character?

e: yeah, madagascar was good. I wonder how long until the island is destroyed by capitalism and it's indigenous species are gone forever...

le chat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 24, 2011

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

le chat posted:

I watched that Limmy thing only because someone posted a link and I wanted to watch something. I'd never heard of Limmy or his show before, does it not get advertised/shown in england or have I just missed it? Anyway, I liked it, especially that sketch with the stoner watching childrens tv. is he a regular character?

I don't know if the files are still on his site, but the 'Dee Dee' character featured frequently in his podcast from a few years ago.

http://www.limmy.com/podcasts/worldofglasgow/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Great unanswered questions episode 3 is on iPlayer. It's the best one ever. Phil jupitus is the guest.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Fishbus posted:

Unfortunate that you mention Brian Cox, because it reminds me that watching any BBC science program consists of 10 seconds of original CGI footage used continuously, using 3 seconds from different points for the whole program. Arrgghhhhh!!!
My estimate is that for every hour long popular factual programme, there's only actually 20 minutes of content; the rest is lost to repetition and recaps. Which is why I'm so grateful for BBC Four, which is far less plagued by that disease.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Some excellent good (Edit: just watched the last two) short British films are on iPlayer at the moment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yy5yh/hd/BBC_HD_Film_Shorts_Series_2_Episode_2/

The first one was Oscar-nominated.

lionlegs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 24, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
poo poo going down in Mad Dogs.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Pablo Bluth posted:

My estimate is that for every hour long popular factual programme, there's only actually 20 minutes of content; the rest is lost to repetition and recaps. Which is why I'm so grateful for BBC Four, which is far less plagued by that disease.

My favourite thing about BBC documentaries is the unnecessary drama they feel they have to inject, lest I change channel or fall asleep because of all the boring facts.

"But without realising, Smith had stumbled upon a discovery that would completely transform our understanding of [something scientific], and threaten to shake the scientific community to its very core."

*30 seconds of sped-up footage of Smith standing awkwardly in a street while pedestrians rush past him and busy-sounding classical music plays*

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

poo poo going down in Mad Dogs.

I was really prepared to write it off after the first episode, but it's getting really good now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I was really prepared to write it off after the first episode, but it's getting really good now.

I'm just wondering if any of them will get out of this alive at this point.

Also, I do believe that is one of Brookers best segments ever.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Brooker just killed it on 10 O'Clock Live. It's great to see him getting more comfortable with the format every week.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Is that Alistair Mcgowan as the rugby coach on Skins?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The Barclay's sketch was marvelous.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god, I'm in a war, looking at a map. How did this happen?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

le chat posted:

e: yeah, madagascar was good. I wonder how long until the island is destroyed by capitalism and it's indigenous species are gone forever...

Just like all Scottish-specific stuff you won't get it unless you tune into the Scottish version of BBC2, if there's enough excitement about it (ala Rab C Nesbitt or Still Game) it'll be promoted in the whole of the UK. It is a little hit & miss but I think telly would be ultimately boring without a few people taking risks - shame it clashes with the Goon favourite 10 O'Clock Live.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

God Jimmy Carr is increasingly becoming the weakest link for 10 o'clock live.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Gelf posted:

God Jimmy Carr is increasingly becoming the weakest link for 10 o'clock live.
Jimmy Carr is the new Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Carr.

Tom Cruzizgay, seriously?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they told Carr to gently caress off, expanded the other segments and gave more of the interviewing to Laverne leaving most of the ranting to Mitchell and Brooker, the programme would probably flow better.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Some Strange Flea posted:

Jimmy Carr is the new Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Carr.

I like to think that he realises how bad he is in comparison when he sees how much more laughs and general reaction Brooker and Mitchell get out of the live audience than he can muster up!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Next year it should be "Ten O'Clock with Mitchell and Brooker", not live, and with various guests presenters.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I thought Carr was pretty good last night (though generally he doesn't add a lot)

Metrication fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Carpet posted:

Are you talking about the Electric? Their tortilla chips are still a bit expensive though :( But they do sell some proper local ale (Purity).

That's it, yeah. I remember taking a few beers into see The Godfather one night and having it ruined with piss feeling.