Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Daico posted:

I'm not competent to judge.

That didn't stop him, towards the end.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Lilosh posted:

We're getting to that next week.

I can hardly wait. :geno:

It's not so bad, it's where you finally get to put those LSAT logic game skills to use.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Plickmann posted:

Currently sitting in class learning about the Rule Against Perpetuities, y'all.

This is how BarBri sums up RAP:

Go to the last person mentioned by proper name. All parties prior to this person take. Next subsequent person not mentioned by proper name takes. All additional parties lose and property reverts back to grantor.

This is probably based around the way the MBE words things vs. a hard, fast rule, but at least for the bar exam (it wasn't on my property final personally), there's a "cheat" for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Today at work we had a department meeting and they announced that someone in the legal department was leaving and that they're currently looking for a replacement. I was genuinely nervous that people would start looking at me for some reason but nobody did.

So I guess there's a job opening up! It's about reviewing contracts or something iunno i was doodling when they said it

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Ainsley McTree posted:

iunno i was doodling when they said it

So jealous, this morning at 6 am, before Day 2 of the bar, I got an email that said "Thinking of you while <Partner> and I are completing an all nighter... good luck. We're looking forward to having you back"

Gosh I cannot wait to be back tomorrow.

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005

Former Everything posted:

I probably posted this last year and didn't get a response, but as evidenced by my continued attendance in law school, I don't mind a fruitless pursuit.

TYLA/ACTL National Trial Competition Regionals were last weekend and I advanced to the Nationals for the second year in a row. Did anyone here compete in a Regional? If so, did you advance? If so, are you interested in a beer or something in Houston in April?

For any 1Ls reading this, I have had three job offers (and accepted one of them) as a direct result of my participation in this trial competition. While it may be sad for a 32 year old man to be participating in a pretend trial, I recommend it because of the amazing breadth of evidentiary knowledge you can develop.

This may be a derail for the Law Journal/Order of the Coif folks in this thread, but I think legal academia is terrible and didn't want to participate. If I got nothing else from trial competitions, I got great hands-on knowledge of the Federal Rules of Evidence.

Can I ask where your regional was? I can't try out for my school's team until the end of 1L year, but I was the defendant in a Saturday round. When the State crossed me on the obviously fabricated motive-eliminating man who gave me $2000 and then left for Jamaica, I mentioned that the Jamaican embassy was right next to DA's office, and they could probably contact him through the consulate. Got some lols.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HooKars posted:

So jealous, this morning at 6 am, before Day 2 of the bar, I got an email that said "Thinking of you while <Partner> and I are completing an all nighter... good luck. We're looking forward to having you back"

Gosh I cannot wait to be back tomorrow.

You know, I was actually mildly annoyed about the meeting, because it was an hour long and people were finding excuses to use that entire hour about things I didn't care about, and I had a lot of things to do so it would mean I'd have to work through my lunch break

I forgot that it still beat being a lawyer! I think that as long as I can keep remembering that it'll be hard for me to be unhappy there.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

You know, I was actually mildly annoyed about the meeting, because it was an hour long and people were finding excuses to use that entire hour about things I didn't care about, and I had a lot of things to do so it would mean I'd have to work through my lunch break

I forgot that it still beat being a lawyer! I think that as long as I can keep remembering that it'll be hard for me to be unhappy there.

Yeah I was on a long and boring conference call earlier but I drew a bitchin' fighter jet on my notepad, it was dropping bombs on a sea of screaming people. I think my boss asked me to do some things for him but since there's never really a deadline for anything and people always seem to be amazed at how "fast" I get things done, I think I'll go to the building gym (awesome perk) and then take a subsequent two hour lunch break. BY then it'll almost be time to go home!

e: To answer the below question, from the perspective of my workplace at least, it is heavily populated with "collect the paycheck and go home" types. To an extent I am one of those people as well, as I have no interest in dedicating my entire life to work. But I had no idea the depths to which laziness and apathy can sink. There are people here who I suspect have not done any actual work in years. I personally don't seek out or create for myself a huge workload (though I could if I wanted to), but when there is something of relative importance I have been tasked to do or have promised I would do, that poo poo gets done promptly and efficiently. I also reply to all emails/voicemails right away and always answer my phone. That I do any of those things AT ALL puts me above a good 50% of the people working here currently.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Defleshed posted:

[...]people always seem to be amazed at how "fast" I get things done[...]

This has happened at every agency I've worked in. It's gotten to the point where I've purposefully slowed myself down, and I wasn't even working that hard to begin with!

There is no way everyone is that slow. Are they just extremely lazy? Seriously what the gently caress is going on? Is this different in a law firm environment?

Edit: Also, I'm going to the gym now. HHS has a bitching weight room.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
I don't think this has been posted yet--GYU's Cee Lo Green Law Revue. (NSFW)

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Grammar Fascist posted:

That is the best thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That's awesome.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Grammar Fascist posted:

That is kind of awesome.

(though as an aside most of the gunners in my classes were complete idiots who got terrible grades)

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Grammar Fascist posted:

Ugghhh it seems like every Law Revue in the country is using that one song for something.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

This has happened at every agency I've worked in. It's gotten to the point where I've purposefully slowed myself down, and I wasn't even working that hard to begin with!

There is no way everyone is that slow. Are they just extremely lazy? Seriously what the gently caress is going on? Is this different in a law firm environment?

Edit: Also, I'm going to the gym now. HHS has a bitching weight room.

HHS meaning Health and Human Services? That is a pretty sweet perk.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tetrix posted:

HHS meaning Health and Human Services? That is a pretty sweet perk.

Yeah, the Humphrey Building. For some reason they're really big on fitness. Another nice part of it is HHS is like 80% female, so the weight room is almost always empty.

Also, my friend's Gchat status:

"Gunner is currently looking at a page entitled 'Roleplaying a Human.'"

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2013

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

William Munny posted:

Ugghhh it seems like every Law Revue in the country is using that one song for something.

There're a lot of things that law students want to say "gently caress you" to!

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Stop posted:

Quick Question: Has anyone interviewed for the RTK or any of the named scholarships at NYU? If so, could they shoot me a PM? Thanks.
I don't have platinum, but you can e-mail me at my username @gmail.com.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

billion dollar bitch posted:

There're a lot of things that law students want to say "gently caress you" to!

Yeah but I doubt any of them would have though of using a Goodie Mob song.

Well, maybe people at Emory/UGA/GSU.

Also, I have an interview with AF JAG for a summer job in a couple of weeks. Now, considering that I have no connection at all to the military in any way, how can I sell myself?

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Do any of your schools play the "assassins" game?

It's where there's an open sign up, and the resulting volunteers are each assigned a "target" person. Their goal is to "kill" this person, using a water gun or another simulated form of killing (Tapping them with a spoon is popular I'm told). They then give you their target, and the game continues until there's only one person left "alive". (Targets are usually assigned via putting all participants on a list somehow and having everyone's initial target be the person below them on the list, so there's no danger of someone having themselves as a target)

Edit: If my explanation is dumb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_(game)

Our law school student government organization just organized this, and it's made it really interesting around here. They're calling it "Process Servers", and you have to "serve" your target by touching them with the index card you were given, with their name on it, and informing them they've been served.

Service is not valid during class, or in any classroom 10 minutes before or after class, or in the bathrooms. Service is only valid within the law school.

It's a ton of fun. It breaks up the mind-numbing monotony of class, reading, sleep, class, reading, sleep.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lilosh posted:

For some reason this makes me really angry. I think I've been in law school too long.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

That's awesome.

edited for truth:

gvibes posted:

(though as an aside most of the gunners in my classes were complete idiots who got terrible grades)

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 24, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Lilosh posted:

It's where there's an open sign up, and the resulting volunteers are each assigned a "target" person. Their goal is to "kill" this person, using a water gun or another simulated form of killing (Tapping them with a spoon is popular I'm told). They then give you their target, and the game continues until there's only one person left "alive". (Targets are usually assigned via putting all participants on a list somehow and having everyone's initial target be the person below them on the list, so there's no danger of someone having themselves as a target)

Our law school student government organization just organized this, and it's made it really interesting around here. They're calling it "Process Servers", and you have to "serve" your target by touching them with the index card you were given, with their name on it, and informing them they've been served.

Service is not valid during class, or in any classroom 10 minutes before or after class, or in the bathrooms. Service is only valid within the law school.

It's a ton of fun. It breaks up the mind-numbing monotony of class, reading, sleep, class, reading, sleep.
We did this in college. It basically caused a couple people to flunk out.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2013

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Grammar Fascist posted:

Yeah this has been making the rounds pretty drat fast around here. I've seen it on about 10 different facebook walls. This one was pretty great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Sm-gCbrQ8

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Roger_Mudd posted:

For some reason this makes me really angry. I think I've been in law school too long.

Was there a specific reason it made you angry? Or just the general idea of people playing this kind of game in law school?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lilosh posted:

Yeah, my class played a big game of this last year--they used highlighters.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lilosh posted:

I ran these using the "Killer" rules in high school. I had thought that students playing games with toy guns of varying levels or realism was something that would never be possible again. I love it that somebody figured how to play the same game without guns.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
How many times have you heard someone in the hallway give their best sassy "AW YOU DONE GOT SERVED"?

edit: I can only picture this with a skinny bespectacled jewish kid saying it to a large african-american woman.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Lilosh posted:

Was there a specific reason it made you angry? Or just the general idea of people playing this kind of game in law school?

Calling it assassins, inciting people to kill you, etc.

We called it "zombies vs humans" and played with nerf guns.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lilosh posted:

I guess I resent people having a fun time in law school? I'm old and grumpy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

That's my favorite thing too, I think it's what actually got me hired. They had such low expectations of temps (and deservedly so, we've had some terrible ones) that they were blown away by the fact that I worked through the day and paid attention to things and asked questions about things that looked wrong. The other temp that got hired alongside me actually got fired because he kept loving up so badly and dragging his feet (every time I saw him he was loving around on the internet). I probably have him to thank for making me look good and getting me hired too. Thanks guy!

I had one weird anomaly this week though, where I took about twice as long to do a project as everyone else. I don't really know why, I was working as fast as I could. Either I was doing it wrong and doing too much work than was required or literally everyone else was screwing up and doing too little. I earnestly choose to believe the latter but don't know how to make my case without making things worse

it's ok, they still seem to like me for some reason

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Camouflaging myself in office mediocrity is more satisfying than I ever would have thought, I've really embraced it.

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud

TheSqueeze posted:

Can I ask where your regional was? I can't try out for my school's team until the end of 1L year, but I was the defendant in a Saturday round. When the State crossed me on the obviously fabricated motive-eliminating man who gave me $2000 and then left for Jamaica, I mentioned that the Jamaican embassy was right next to DA's office, and they could probably contact him through the consulate. Got some lols.

I thought TYLA's regional problem this year was the robbery of and double murder at Everything's A Dollar (and a piece of poo poo that required stipulations to be bolted on so that the robbery charge couldn't be flushed at directed verdict)?

/assistant coach of a trial team

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Camouflaging myself in office mediocrity is more satisfying than I ever would have thought, I've really embraced it.

It's gonna be hard for me to do that now though, because everyone in my department is actually really hardworking and competent. Which I guess is good because I can count on them and poo poo but still, it's hard to look good next to the woman that I got an email from at 8pm

I don't think anyone there actually plays that game though, she just genuinely had a lot to do that day. Then called out sick for the next two days but I think she honestly did work herself ill because she was kind of sniffling today. Or maybe she's just that good at everything, including pretending to be sick.

I dunno the point is I rule

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Defleshed posted:

It worked for me until everyone more senior than me left with the exception of the lady on heavy meds, and me at my most mediocre is apparently hard-working around here. I got mildly chided for rolling in at 10AM on Wed., then immediately was offered to get sent to Cali for a conference for free, which will probably bump me up into the elite program for airmiles again this year. I think I may be next in line for the director position, despite my non-efforts.

On the downside, had two huntsmen spiders in my bedroom yesterday after not seeing any indoors for a couple of years.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

HiddenReplaced posted:

In a law firm environment, you actually get penalized for doing things too efficiently because your billable hours will suck in comparison to the guy who is super slow, and they won't be impressed that your super awesome job done in an hour is better than the mediocre job done by your coworker in 7.

Unless they need it ASAP. I always find things that I could take forever on are always due right away, and the stuff that they dont need right away, just cant realistically be dragged out for that long and seem believable on your time sheets.

In my department, if you finish your work quickly, it also doesn't mean you get to go home at a normal time. They will either find you more work or you're still stuck waiting around for the partner to finish their work. But I feel like that varies by firm and department and partners.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

May I never have to take another bar exam, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

In a law firm environment, you actually get penalized for doing things too efficiently because your billable hours will suck in comparison to the guy who is super slow, and they won't be impressed that your super awesome job done in an hour is better than the mediocre job done by your coworker in 7.

Unless they need it ASAP. I always find things that I could take forever on are always due right away, and the stuff that they dont need right away, just cant realistically be dragged out for that long and seem believable on your time sheets.

In my department, if you finish your work quickly, it also doesn't mean you get to go home at a normal time. They will either find you more work or you're still stuck waiting around for the partner to finish their work. But I feel like that varies by firm and department and partners.

Ok...so when I start working at a firm I need to figure out some way to drag the work out for the right amount of time, BUT not too long...great...