Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I'd get KotOR II, but I don't think it was released for Mac. I had a hell of a time finding KotOR itself for Mac. Maybe I'll go play Mass Effect instead on my 360.

*cough*read the lp*cough* *cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm surprised LA and Microsoft haven't made those games avaliable in the LIVE download system. Pretty sure a majority of people that still have their X-Boxes have one or both of those games kicking back with it.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm surprised LA and Microsoft haven't made those games avaliable in the LIVE download system. Pretty sure a majority of people that still have their X-Boxes have one or both of those games kicking back with it.

I know. I had to buy KOTOR II off of Amazon. For an original Xbox game it wasn't cheap either.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Can someone explain how the Moffs, specifically Tarkin acquired so much power? I'm reading Lost Command, and its a pretty good storyline unto itself if you can accept that somewhere between III and IV Tarkin somehow became more politically powerful than Darth Varder. (It's also canon from IV, but that's more acceptable in a universe without prequels).

How do you go from the guy who personally eliminated the Separatists and the Jedi core presence on Coruscant to 3rd potato?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Well he's pretty much Palpatines errand boy right? I have no trouble believing that the guy who was apparently dumb enough to turn evil because someone told him to, would just do whatever else he was told.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I'd always gathered Vader had no official standing in the Empire, other than the will of Palpatine, until after the Death Star was blown. He was outside the chain of command, but people did what he said because it was what the Emperor said. The Moffs were politically and militarily useful, so the Emperor gave them the leeway to do what they needed to do unless they hosed up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

KaosFactor posted:

I'd always gathered Vader had no official standing in the Empire, other than the will of Palpatine, until after the Death Star was blown. He was outside the chain of command, but people did what he said because it was what the Emperor said. The Moffs were politically and militarily useful, so the Emperor gave them the leeway to do what they needed to do unless they hosed up.

This makes sense. No matter how many official Imperial Navy titles Darth Vader has in his name he pretty much is 3rd and a half banana and Palpatine pretty much retires him when he seeds the suggestion of turning Luke to the Dark Side.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just imagine how this conversation would be going if Palpatine really did turn out to be Anakin's father.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

From an external perspective I imagine your local Imperial jackboot was being worn by the local Moff, and you probably had big friendly Palpatine "OBEY" posters everywhere. It'd be interesting to consider what Vader's role in the popular eye was; on the one hand he's scary and on the other hand they might try to lionize him for propaganda purposes of some kind.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think they really didn't need propaganda since Vader was such a drama queen who force choked any officer who did a mistake without an hesitation and crushed at least two coups against him and Palpatine in the books and comics without mercy.

Vader was Space Hess.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I specifically remember one of the SWG loading screens mentioning that Vader was viewed as a "hero" by the general Empire-fearing populace.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mister Roboto posted:

Just imagine how this conversation would be going if Palpatine really did turn out to be Anakin's father.

It's amazing that even George Lucas himself realized that would be a stupid idea.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

That DICK! posted:

I specifically remember one of the SWG loading screens mentioning that Vader was viewed as a "hero" by the general Empire-fearing populace.

And probably viewed as the biggest rear end in a top hat son of a bitch ever by everyone in the Imperial military

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Directorman posted:

And probably viewed as the biggest rear end in a top hat son of a bitch ever by everyone in the Imperial military

He was meant to be powerful and feared. Even merciful compared to the Emperor. Which is why I wonder how Tarkin superseded him at all let alone by ANH.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Could just be similar to a Navy thing. If there's an Admiral on a ship, isn't the captain of this ship still technically in charge? The Death Star was Tarkin's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Possibly because Tarkin delivered the goods and landed his poo poo on people and didn't whine annoyingly about pandabear.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Palpatine: "My apprentice, I am appointing you Vice-Emperor of the galaxy.."
Vader: "That's Wizard!"
Palpatine:"..."
Palpatine:"Super-secret Vice-Emperor. Don't tell anyone, better yet, just don't speak unless you have to. Just choke people who don't agree with you. The rest will get the message."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never saw that ANH scene as implying that Tarkin had any formal power or authority over Vader. Just that Tarkin honestly isn't phased by Vader and was sick of him showing off by killing his officers, and Vader wasn't really pissed off enough at the admiral to kill him in the first place, just putting a little fear of the Force into him.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I never saw that ANH scene as implying that Tarkin had any formal power or authority over Vader. Just that Tarkin honestly isn't phased by Vader and was sick of him showing off by killing his officers, and Vader wasn't really pissed off enough at the admiral to kill him in the first place, just putting a little fear of the Force into him.

Tarkin literally ordered Vader to "release him". That's not the way you talk to a peer.

Plus Leia, a gal who would know, said Tarkin was "holding Vader's leash". She saw them together and, because of past experiences, must've assumed there was someone in command over Vader.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's amazing that even George Lucas himself realized that would be a stupid idea.

How is that idea any stupider than force parasites impregnating some random woman in the middle of bumfuck spaceville?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mister Roboto posted:

In my personal canon, Palpatine is the father, because that's much less stupid than "she got Force-raped by midichlorians" although I think it's (eventually going to be) canon that Palpatine and/or Plagueis went to Tatooine and chose Shmi (stupid name).

I prefer it this way because now both trilogies are about fathers and sons.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Locutus Of Bored posted:

In my personal canon, Palpatine is the father, because that's much less stupid than "she got Force-raped by midichlorians" although I think it's (eventually going to be) canon that Palpatine and/or Plagueis went to Tatooine and chose Shmi (stupid name).

I prefer it this way because now both trilogies are about fathers and sons.

Poetry rhymes ect.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

To be honest, I don't think it was a bad idea, because it would have actually made the prequels have an impact from a storytelling perspective. As it stands, almost nothing that happened in the prequels affected anything in the original trilogy. It doesn't offer a different point of view, a different theme, suggest new interpretations of the original material. I don't mean retconning things, I mean actually contributing to the storyline.

If Palpatine DID turn out as Anakin's father, it would've made the entire OT more interesting, to be honest. Now Vader's obsession becomes kind of Wagnarian, killing his father to save his son.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I already shared my theory on the Ghosts of Mortis arc from the show, but I think it's also useful to contemplate this quote from the horse's mouth himself.

Jorge posted:

I am the father of our Star Wars movie world - the filmed entertainment, the features and now the animated film and television series. And I'm going to do a live-action television series. Those are all things I am very involved in: I set them up and I train the people and I go through them all. I'm the father; that's my work. Then we have the licensing group, which does the games, toys and books, and all that other stuff. I call that the son - and the son does pretty much what he wants. Then we have the third group, the holy ghost, which is the bloggers and fans. They have created their own world. I worry about the father's world. The son and holy ghost can go their own way.

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Quick question that's been bugging me for a while, who's the guy with the darth vader/bananna mask that snitches on Luke and Han in A New Hope? I'm certain that guy has a wookipedia page, but I've never been able to track down any information on him.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

Ulmeyda posted:

Quick question that's been bugging me for a while, who's the guy with the darth vader/bananna mask that snitches on Luke and Han in A New Hope? I'm certain that guy has a wookipedia page, but I've never been able to track down any information on him.

I typed "alien with elephant nose tatooine" into Google and got this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garindan

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ulmeyda posted:

He pointed the stormtroopers at Han and Luke to distract them while he stole Death Star plans

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh

deadguy posted:

I typed "alien with elephant nose tatooine" into Google and got this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garindan

Ah, thanks. I'm dissapointed, his wookiepedia page is shorter than I expected.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
A couple of years ago, I heard that Lucas was planning on making a live-action Star Wars Television show. What ever happened with that?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It's still apparently in the works. And may or may not have teenage Boba Fett and/or Starkiller. (Apparently they've been biding their time because of cost concerns. Because no one's ever made a live action science fiction show on a budget before. Which really means Jorge doesn't want to bother if he's only making Gene Rodenberry money on it. So probably whenever green screen effects become truly negligible in cost or they get a critical mass of fans to donate their homemade costumes for free.)

Ulmeyda posted:

Ah, thanks. I'm dissapointed, his wookiepedia page is shorter than I expected.

Oh, to be back in the old days when we only had three films and six novels. Believe you me, "Long Snoot" Garindan was a big loving deal back then, easily taking up a full page in the the Roleplaying Books and getting big honking illustrations in the character guides.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 25, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Angry Midwesterner posted:

It's still apparently in the works. It may or may not have teenage Boba Fett and/or Starkiller.
Teenage Boba Fett learning how to become an awesome bounty hunter could be cool. Teenage Starkiller would be loving terrible

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Especially teenage Starkiller played by a forty-year-old actor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought it was just going to be stand-alone episodes featuring life in the SWU from a nobody's perspective and maybe a couple bounty hunter episodes?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought it was just going to be stand-alone episodes featuring life in the SWU from a nobody's perspective and maybe a couple bounty hunter episodes?

I think they've had plenty of chances to just do that. Let's face it, whenever it comes, it will be all lightsaber all the time. Out the rear end. Perhaps literally if they are trying to beat the Grivous/Nyax record.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 25, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was under the impression that it was going to be Jedi that escaped Order 66, with a couple of different stories going on at once, one being about Quinlan Vos. They could pretty easily just do a re-telling of that Darth Vader book and have like half a season.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I think they've had plenty of chances to just do that. Let's face it, whenever it comes, it will be lightsabers out the rear end. Perhaps literally if they are trying to beat the Grivous/Nyax record.

This would own as long as the lightsabers are literally coming out of asses.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

From Long Snoot I found this-
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

the "Look sir, Droid!" guy happens to be the best AT-AT pilot ever and saves our heroes at Docking bay 94 by killing his captain.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

From Long Snoot I found this-
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

the "Look sir, Droid!" guy happens to be the best AT-AT pilot ever and saves our heroes at Docking bay 94 by killing his captain.

Yeah, there's a lot of that poo poo. And that article brings up the point again that for all the strenuous training and whatnot Imperial troops get, plot armor trumps all!

I mean, just imagine how different things would have gone if one simple fact was true: all TIEs had shields. You would have had thousands of pilots approaching Fel in skill level, not just Fel himself.

(Just finished reading through the X-Wing Omnibuses, Volume 3 is seriously the best story arc ever.)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So a question is there anyone anywhere in the EU who was NOT involved in stealing the Death Star plans? Christ those things seem to show up everywhere in peoples back stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ferrosol posted:

So a question is there anyone anywhere in the EU who was NOT involved in stealing the Death Star plans? Christ those things seem to show up everywhere in peoples back stories.

What's the current chain of custody for those drat things?