Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to extract your contacts from a clockworkmod/nandroid backup without reflashing the phone? I bit the bullet last night and got Cyanogenmod for my CDMA Desire and I'm really liking it, except my contacts are all sorts of hosed up now :shobon: Wouldn't be so bad if I could edit contacts pulled from gmail and facebook :argh:
If you have local sense contacts that never became google contacts, you're probably going to need to nandroid backup your CM7, flash your sense backup, migrate contacts to google, then re-flash your CM7 backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Solly posted:

Ok good stuff, but thinking about it this probably wont make a blind bit of difference since I recreated the partition before I changed to oxygen anyway. I'm still going to try it, but I don't hold out much hope.

If this fails can I get back to stock by just doing a recovery from the backup I made before I flashed any roms, or is it more complicated than that?

Here's a thought. Did you try reflashing your recovery image? I've heard that if clockwork get's messed up, all sorts of crazy poo poo can happen.

I know with Rom Manager, you can download an older version of clockwork or something, and then redownload the newest version after.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Civil posted:

GPS is still hit and miss for a lot of people in CM7, even across people with the same device. You should go back to a stable rom if you really depend on it.

Okay, this is what I figured, it's not a huge deal for me just wondering if there was something I was doing wrong.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
So formatting my ext partition has stopped a2sd working all together now. I don't know what's going on but I think its fair to say I have ballsed this phone up pretty well now, everything I. Do breaks something else

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Civil posted:

I try not to get caught in the trap of flashing nightlies. If I get a nightly rom that has full functionality with the features I want, I try to stick with it until there's a feature compelling enough to move. Either that, or if they do a RC or stable.

That nightly flashing for the sake of it is for the birds.

Me neither, but RC1 for the Slide has broken GPS, broken Wifi, a bug with the lockscreen coming up when making a call (or something like that), etc. The rev 5 nightly is very stable. I don't know if the WiMax code merge will affect the Slide since it doesn't have that feature, but I'm sticking with 5 until I hear WiFi is fixed.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

With almost every rom I've ever used I noticed that it will be super awesomely fast at first and then over a few months it will become less and less stable. Probably even happens with stock but I haven't gone that route in a long time.

I'm currently running CM6 on my Droid 1 and the kernel/rom combo were the best thing ever at first and now it's so terribly unstable.

The best solution is probably to wipe and re-flash but I don't really understand why that should be the case. I tried fixing permissions but that didn't change much.

Anyone know what causes things like this? Or if there's something I can do to optimize my phone?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Well this is strange. An hour ago my internal memory was full, hence thinking a2sd was buggered now there is a 100 Meg free. I'm thinking there is something wrong with my memory card.

I have tried reflashing clockwork a couple of times and it seems to do it without having to flash an older version first. Is this ok or should I still try to downgrade it then reflash the latest.

I notice roms slowing down too but for me it seems to be a matter of days. It happened to a far lesser extent with stock and I just assume its somewhat like any os, put enough crap on it and it just bogs down after a while

Solly fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 25, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is sending MMS messages broken for anyone else using the CM7 nightlies?

Working here on my Desire.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Thornes posted:

With almost every rom I've ever used I noticed that it will be super awesomely fast at first and then over a few months it will become less and less stable. Probably even happens with stock but I haven't gone that route in a long time.

I'm currently running CM6 on my Droid 1 and the kernel/rom combo were the best thing ever at first and now it's so terribly unstable.

The best solution is probably to wipe and re-flash but I don't really understand why that should be the case. I tried fixing permissions but that didn't change much.

Anyone know what causes things like this? Or if there's something I can do to optimize my phone?

I disagree with this completely, I stopped messing around with ROMs for months; I'm still running Fresh 3.3.0.1 and it feels identical to the day I installed it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Does anyone know if CM7 even uses a special/non stock Ginger bread kernel? I still cannot find jack or poo poo on it. Alternately, is there a kernel that is even better and give me the same or better Jesus like battery life? This stupid CM7-special Outdated WiMax edition kernel is killing me. A 1:1 ratio of battery life to browsing time is worse than the stock HTC/Sense kernel from loving July or whenever the EVO first came out.

Basically, I need Jesus to personally touch my CM7 Evo Battery life's swim suit area, what is the best kernel I can use to acomplish this?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Does anyone know if CM7 even uses a special/non stock Ginger bread kernel? I still cannot find jack or poo poo on it. Alternately, is there a kernel that is even better and give me the same or better Jesus like battery life? This stupid CM7-special Outdated WiMax edition kernel is killing me. A 1:1 ratio of battery life to browsing time is worse than the stock HTC/Sense kernel from loving July or whenever the EVO first came out.

Basically, I need Jesus to personally touch my CM7 Evo Battery life's swim suit area, what is the best kernel I can use to acomplish this?
CM7 uses a customised kernel, I believe, and in the latest nightlies, allows you to change the CPU governor used.

At least this is true on my Desire.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Just posting here to say that CM 6.1.2 ran like stinky dog poo on my Droid, and Liquid Gingerbread 1.2 works way better, at least so far. I can actually play videos now, and not just have a slideshow of random frames from the video. Also, the lockscreen music controls are way better, they actually show the album art and song name. Still not as good as Winamp though.

The CRT-style on-off animation makes me giggle like a little girl every time I see it. :keke:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rohaq posted:

Working here on my Desire.

I was able to fix it by Titanium backing up my apps, factory wiping the phone and restoring my apps only... No system data. I am not sure what was wrong, but that fixed it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Rohaq posted:

CM7 uses a customised kernel, I believe, and in the latest nightlies, allows you to change the CPU governor used.

At least this is true on my Desire.

All right, good to know. How to do I flash that? I've heard just flashing a CM7 Rom will also flash the kernel, but Whenever I flash the old Cm7 Wimax kernel sticks with me. Should I just flash to another kernel, like stock GB, and then reflash my ROM to get the CM7 kernel back? Or is there yet a better option?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

No, CM7 uses the ADW launcher, and has no sense components.

I am a big fan of CM7 now that I have sound. I happen the battery lasts at least until late afternoon. I am loving with it all the time and the life was not good enough on stock or Revolution.thabks

Thanks for the indirect recommendation :respek:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am a big fan of CM7 now that I have sound. I happen the battery lasts at least until late afternoon. I am loving with it all the time and the life was not good enough on stock or Revolution.thabks

Thanks for the indirect recommendation :respek:

Do you notice your sound, sounding "tinny" (hollow, robotic, etc) now? It looks like there's a small issue with the audio drivers in the ROMs, but it should be getting fixed soon.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Edit: gently caress it, I'm going back to stock. There are too many issues that pop-up when root a Legend that it's not worth it. Anyway I think I can use Visionary to temporarily root what I need.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 25, 2011

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

ActivityManager: [1] Segmentation fault am start -n com
The past two CM nightlies result in this error whenever I try to install an app over ADB. Any idea why?

Tried doing a web install, and got this:

Click here for the full 480x800 image.

Odd that it shows a Green Check making it seem like it succeeded and then state fail. Seems to occur for any apps.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 25, 2011

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

JerseyMonkey posted:

The past two CM nightlies result in this error whenever I try to install an app over ADB. Any idea why?

I don't know why you are having that issue, but I would bet money that it is related to the issue that is effecting Titanium Backup from restoring apps in the last to nightlies.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

heat posted:

I disagree with this completely, I stopped messing around with ROMs for months; I'm still running Fresh 3.3.0.1 and it feels identical to the day I installed it.

I am happy for you, however this has been happening to me a lot. Maybe I'm alone. I guess I'll give MIUI a shot.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I've never installed a custom rom because everything for the Epic was built around the leaked 2.2 from Novemberish, and since I could never get Odin to work, I was too scared to try anything because without Odin, there's no way to go back in case something gets screwed up.

Since I used Samsung's 2.2 update.zip to get to 2.2, could I use that file to flash back to 2.2 stock in lieu of Odin, since it contains all the stock kernals and whatnot that I would need? I want to try some stuff out, but I want that stock safety net.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It looks like the plan for "upgrading" from CM6 to CM7 is really just "wipe everything and install CM7." Is that true? If so, why does it have to be this way?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

the posted:

It looks like the plan for "upgrading" from CM6 to CM7 is really just "wipe everything and install CM7." Is that true? If so, why does it have to be this way?

You could try going from CM6 to CM7 without wiping, but in general, even with stock roms, it can introduce some wonky behavior to go between major versions with a fully used phone. There's fewer issues when you wipe.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

the posted:

I'd recommend backing up in Titanium Backup and wiping anyway between major OS versions, but CM7 seems to be notably different to CM6 - for one, at least on the Desire, there's a custom partition table for CM7 that reduces the system partition size, and reduces the cache partition by some ridiculous amount - I believe it uses symlinks (which are only about 4k each) to point to files elsewhere in the filesystem in order to increase the available space for apps, which is one of the main issues with the Desire.

It also has an Apps2SD solution built in, rather than having to flash a patch on afterwards.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zamin posted:

Since I used Samsung's 2.2 update.zip to get to 2.2, could I use that file to flash back to 2.2 stock in lieu of Odin, since it contains all the stock kernals and whatnot that I would need?
Unfortunately no. The update.zip is only good for updating stock DI18 to EB13. If you attempt to use it on anything other than a stock DI18, it will check this and refuse to do anything.

The Windows-compatible update that Samsung released might work for you though. It's basically the same as Odin, but wrapped into an easy-to-install (allegedly) package. Although if you can't get Odin to work, I'm not sure how much more likely this will be.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unfortunately no. The update.zip is only good for updating stock DI18 to EB13. If you attempt to use it on anything other than a stock DI18, it will check this and refuse to do anything.

Ya, I was thinking about it after I posted and realized that this was probably the case.

quote:

The Windows-compatible update that Samsung released might work for you though. It's basically the same as Odin, but wrapped into an easy-to-install (allegedly) package. Although if you can't get Odin to work, I'm not sure how much more likely this will be.

I actually tried that method before I did the update.zip and it gave me the exact same problems as Odin.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Do you notice your sound, sounding "tinny" (hollow, robotic, etc) now? It looks like there's a small issue with the audio drivers in the ROMs, but it should be getting fixed soon.

I only have sound issues when talking to people on the phone. I don't have any issues listening to music or anything like that. I know I had the same issue on Android Revolution, so it isn't just CM7 causing the problem.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

oh boy this isnt good. So formatting my ext partition made no difference after 24 hours the android sys file is going wild again. So I tried to recover my original stock backup but wait clockwork recovery can find no recovery files (yes I put them back onto the sd card) so it looks like I'm stuck with having to reflash a rom every couple of days just to keep it stable. I wish I had just left this drat thing alone now. If anyone thinks they might be able to help my aim is solly1010

Edit:

Im beginning to think I may have issues with my clockwork recovery. I looked into flashing an older version with rom manager but it only shows me versions with higher version numbers than mine, which I assume are experimental. What's the best way to reflash the latest stable version of clockwork without using rom manager.

Im considering un-rooting my phone and then re-rooting it to get a decent clockwork installed but this method: http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-unroot-the-htc-desire/ mentions gold cards so I assume it doesn't apply to phones rooted with unrevoked?

Assuming that method is good, does it matter that ill be essentially flashing an image with the same radio file that im on already?

Solly fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 26, 2011

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I've got a Samsung Captivate that I rooted a while back. Now I'm hearing that I can get 2.2, but I'm not sure how to go about it, since I don't understand what does or doesn't brick your phone. Do I need to unroot to update, or am I fine to just do whatever?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Panzerschwein posted:

I've got a Samsung Captivate that I rooted a while back. Now I'm hearing that I can get 2.2, but I'm not sure how to go about it, since I don't understand what does or doesn't brick your phone. Do I need to unroot to update, or am I fine to just do whatever?
You'd be best off getting the 2.2 version of whatever ROM you used to root with rather than going the official OTA route; check the xda-developer forums.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Panzerschwein posted:

If you want to root and use a lag fix, DO NOT UPDATE to 2.2 official. I did and ran SuperOneClick to root and I can't run any lagfix without flashing a kernal, and apparently it is bricking phones.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=971013

Anyways, I am trying to get superuser permissions to Titanium Backup. When it asks for SU permissions, it fails when I say allow because I don't have busybox installed, but I can't install busybox because the nand isn't unlocked.

loving fail.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The WORD ON THE STREET is that when you're using CM7 for Nook Color, trying to Format the SD card, aside from failing, will actually wipe your /boot partition.

WELP I'm going to try reinstalling CM7 again and see if not doing that fixes it.

(BTW, I figured out how to fix it with the stock 1.1.0 + CWM image on XDA, the one that dd's the /system and /boot).

Just a HEADS UP for this HUGE bug that I've not read anything about until I bitched in XDA.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I finally gave the latest CM7 nightly for EVO a try. It's drat fast. But I can't seem to get Titanium Backup to restore any apps. It acts like it's working, but the apps never get installed. Not that big of a deal, but a little frustrating.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Having a bit of trouble with my wife's Droid 2.

She's been running Liberty 1.5 just fine for a few weeks. She decided to change to another theme in Liberty Mods and also change the system font. Everything was working fine until the font in WordFued's tiles (the letters on the tiles) are stuck on a certain font and it looks terrible. I tried installing the stock Liberty them and the stock system font. Everything changes except the letters in WordFeud's tiles.

I also tried uninstalling WF and restoring an old Titanium Backup, also didn't work.

Anything else I can try before I revert to a nandroid backup?

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

yamdankee posted:

Having a bit of trouble with my wife's Droid 2.

She's been running Liberty 1.5 just fine for a few weeks. She decided to change to another theme in Liberty Mods and also change the system font. Everything was working fine until the font in WordFued's tiles (the letters on the tiles) are stuck on a certain font and it looks terrible. I tried installing the stock Liberty them and the stock system font. Everything changes except the letters in WordFeud's tiles.

I also tried uninstalling WF and restoring an old Titanium Backup, also didn't work.

Anything else I can try before I revert to a nandroid backup?

You might contact "hbwares", the creator of WordFued. Maybe it's a bug?

He's a goon too.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Captivate owners looking for 2.2... I must say I'm pretty content with Cognition ROM 3.04 which I installed recently. My only bitch (and i concede that A) i installed this while i upgraded, hadn't used it before and B) that its not the ROMs fault) is that launcher pro gets slow after a while and needs to be restarted to bring back snappy home screens after several days.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Well I did a bunch of research yesterday and finally can wrap my head around all these new terms I've been hearing (ROMs, flash, Odin, Kies). I decided to go with an unofficial ROM, seems to be working just fine. I might have to take a look at Cognition if you say its good.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Sniep posted:

Captivate owners looking for 2.2... I must say I'm pretty content with Cognition ROM 3.04 which I installed recently. My only bitch (and i concede that A) i installed this while i upgraded, hadn't used it before and B) that its not the ROMs fault) is that launcher pro gets slow after a while and needs to be restarted to bring back snappy home screens after several days.

I'm using Cognition with Captivate and I've never had a Launcher Pro problem.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

I finally gave the latest CM7 nightly for EVO a try. It's drat fast. But I can't seem to get Titanium Backup to restore any apps. It acts like it's working, but the apps never get installed. Not that big of a deal, but a little frustrating.

Pretty much the same experience here. Oh well all the apps I wanted are on the market place. That HTC flashlight application will be missed though since I like the three levels compared to the CM on/off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

brc64 posted:

Is CM7 stable enough to run right now? I'm getting an EVO last week and I really hate sense.