Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Benny & Joon 4/5

I've wanted to see this for a while just for seeing Johnny Depp doing Buster Keaton routines.

edit: The Digital Bits says Gettysburg and Gods & Generals will be new "director's cuts" running 4 1/2 hours each.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

I Saw the Devil 5/10

gently caress yes.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't care if he was a bit player in the film, Jarvis Cocker on the commentary would be amazing

A music-only track would be pretty great too.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I really hope they give Gettysburg and Gods & Generals the proper treatment so the picture quality is as good as it should be. The existing Gods & Generals BR is like they just slapped a DVD onto a BR and called it a day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

doctor thodt posted:

De-Lovely 4/5

I mean, I guess they'll get around to putting every movie available on Blu-Ray, but ... De-Lovely? It was a really, really mediocre film.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Red posted:

I mean, I guess they'll get around to putting every movie available on Blu-Ray, but ... De-Lovely? It was a really, really mediocre film.

If it means we're getting Dave at some point I'm all for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twilight Zone season 4, May 17th. They are really cranking those out.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

TheScott2K posted:

If it means we're getting Dave at some point I'm all for it.

gently caress yeah.

Or, you know, any Billy Wilder movie on blu ray would be great too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FitFortDanga posted:

Too. Fast. I don't have time to get enough money to buy all of them and the other blu-rays I want. :sigh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No poo poo, I'm actually kinda hoping they put out a big collector box so I can buy the whole thing at discount from Amazon all at once.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Apparently Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is screening in LA in March, so I imagine a blu-ray release can't be far behind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry I haven't replied about this earlier, I was without my blu-ray player for a while. The query was with regards to cheap multi region blu-ray.

PriorMarcus posted:

Project? Link? There's several of these players on Amazon and none of them seem to be what your mentioning here.

This is the player I have. I bought it with DVD M/R out of the box but it'll arrive locked to Region B for BD.

This is the site that supplies the extended firmware. They do a free version first for you to test (does M/R DVD) and then you make a donation of either 15 or 20 euros and they provide you the full firmware that does M/R Blu-Ray, PAL>NTSC all that kinda jazz. Will be doing it in the next week myself as my Region A BDs are stacking up and I can only play those on my HTPC with AnyDVD HD at the moment.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

Apparently Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is screening in LA in March, so I imagine a blu-ray release can't be far behind.

quote:

In the AICN talkbacks, AICN writer Jeremy Smith makes a couple of other points. For one:

Lionsgate now has DVD and streaming rights to many of Miramax’s old titles, so this release of The Whole Bloody Affair could be the precursor to a long-awaited full DVD or (better) Blu-ray release.

That article is wrong. Weinstein has the rights to Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair, not Miramax. Miramax only has the rights to Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just get that loving movie out! I've avoided buying it on DVD and now Blu just because I want a nice loving set... with maybe the colorized Crazy 88 fight.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like the Alejandro Jodorowsky Blu-Ray preorders on Amazon finally dropped down to a reasonable price.

$22.99 each

The Holy Mountain - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWL0P2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004LWL0P2
El Topo - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWL0YS?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004LWL0YS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FitFortDanga posted:

Too bad many of the Blu-rays are defective and won't loving work on a lot of players.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Too bad many of the Blu-rays are defective and won't loving work on a lot of players.

I thought that was only with Season 1 and that they have finally fixed that?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1201022&page=9

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there reviews of the FLCL blu-ray yet, has anyone seen it yet? Basically, is there a reason to get the Blu over the DVD? I kind of want it, but my limited understanding of late 90's early 2000's anime makes me think they only have SD digital material to work from, so there is a limit to what they can do with blu over dvd.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Skwirl posted:

Are there reviews of the FLCL blu-ray yet, has anyone seen it yet? Basically, is there a reason to get the Blu over the DVD? I kind of want it, but my limited understanding of late 90's early 2000's anime makes me think they only have SD digital material to work from, so there is a limit to what they can do with blu over dvd.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/18022/#Review

The consensus is that while it could look much better, this is the best it ever will, and it's still an upgrade from the DVD.

Also, apparently 127 Hours is reference quality, which is nice, because I love the movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

morestuff posted:

Motherfuck, I fly out of LA on the 26th. Fingers crossed for a surprise SXSW showing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone bought my Apocalypse Now DVD (with the exclusive Circuit City disc) for $60.00. :psyduck:

I'm guessing it's one of those HTF weirdos that refused to switch formats or something. Is the 3-disc "ultimate edition" Blu with Hearts of Darkness worth the price compared to the cheap 2-disc Blu?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 27, 2011

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone bought my Apocalypse Now DVD (with the exclusive Circuit City disc) for $60.00. :psyduck:

:psyboom: Was it the Dossier? I have that...

e: Wait, no. I'm confused. Which one was it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Hannibal Lecter Collection (Manhunter/The Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal) is the boxset of the week on Amazon, dropped to $26.99

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hannibal-Lecter-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/product/B002BE7JGQ

Also
Scrubs Season 8 dropped to $16.99
Clerks dropped to $11.99

Egbert Souse posted:

Is the 3-disc "ultimate edition" Blu with Hearts of Darkness worth the price compared to the cheap 2-disc Blu?

I'm pretty sure the only difference is that the 3-disc version has Hearts Of Darkness in HD.

- edit Yeah,

quote:

The other supplements on this disc include:
John Milius Script Selections with Notes by Francis Ford Coppola (Text);
Storyboard Gallery;
Photo Archive;
Marketing Archive, featuring the 1979 trailer, radio spots, theatrical program, lobby cards and press kit photos, and a poster gallery.

Whether or not that is worth the extra money is up to you.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 27, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

:psyboom: Was it the Dossier? I have that...

e: Wait, no. I'm confused. Which one was it?

Yes, it's the Complete Dossier version with the cool file case.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes, it's the Complete Dossier version with the cool file case.

Oh jeez I have this just sitting around since I got the nice bluray set...time to sell stuff on ebay I guess!

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Does anyone know if the Region B UK or Aus version of Sunshine have the issues with the PS3 like the US one?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Is it a poor solution to go with a Bluray optical drive for the PC? I'm reading about it on various forums found via google and it sure seems like there's an awful lot of trouble with updates and software and such. I'm having doubts as to whether I should get a proper Bluray player or just the optical drive; my TV is my PC monitor and it'd be fine to play through the PC, as long as the software works as it should.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

csidle posted:

Is it a poor solution to go with a Bluray optical drive for the PC? I'm reading about it on various forums found via google and it sure seems like there's an awful lot of trouble with updates and software and such. I'm having doubts as to whether I should get a proper Bluray player or just the optical drive; my TV is my PC monitor and it'd be fine to play through the PC, as long as the software works as it should.
I was having an issue with the DVD drive in a used laptop I recently got. Found out it's a common problem and figured on just getting an external drive.

Went with this blue Asus unit off of Newegg. Tried out PowerDVD 10 but it just refused to play anything Blu. Switched to a demo of Arcsoft's Total Media Hoohah and it played most things fine at first and then everything after an update.

I don't really see why one in a PC would be worthwhile if it's competing against a standalone player. If you already have a nice HTPC, then sure. I only got mine because my built in drive took a poo poo and now I can use it and the HDMI out of my laptop to wire into MY GIRLFRIEND's TV to watch Blu-ray which works for us since I'm the one with all the movies on the format and it wouldn't make sense for her to get a standalone player right now.

The drive was $90 on sale. If I stay with the software legally, that's another $100 though there is another one out there that I forget the name of from Corel that's only $40. So it isn't cheap compared to a standalone player.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Arcsoft is $69 until the end of today and you can get a BD-ROM for $50.

If you're fine to use a PC rather than a dedicated unit it's not a bad option, as there are some neat things you can do with a PC (like ripping Blu-Rays to ISO and mounting them inside Media Center using My Movies), and a copy of AnyDVD will take care of any region hassles if you want to do that. Keeping your DVD software updated really isn't more of a headache than updating firmware.

But if you just want to watch a few discs, a standalone player is convenient and cheap.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 1, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the ENTIRE Miramax library is going OOP from Buena Vista.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/529443-out-print-titles-recently-discovered-2nd-thread-28.html

Here's the Blus that are part of the wipeout:

Bad Santa
Chasing Amy
Clerks
Doubt
Extract
Hero
Iron Monkey
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Legend of the Drunken Master
Lookout
No Country for Old Men
The Queen
Rounders
Scary Movie
Shall We Dance?
Sin City
Sling Blade
Smart People
Zatoichi
Becoming Jane
Chicago
Finding Neverland
Gangs of New York
Gone Baby Gone
The Great Raid

Also going out of print...
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Capote/In Cold Blood
Red Dawn
Into the Blue
St. Elmo's Fire
My Dog Skip

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Oh jeez I have this just sitting around since I got the nice bluray set...time to sell stuff on ebay I guess!

It was going to Switzerland.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

csidle posted:

I wouldn't say it's a poor solution, although I've had more trouble with my pc drive than my living room unit. I'm running a Lite-on drive and PowerDVD 7.3 which came with the drive.

There have been one or two times it wouldn't play something, and that's out of hundreds of discs rented or bought. If it failed it would fail at the menu or shortly after it, but if it ever started playing it plays just fine. Basically if it was all I had I wouldn't really complain, I'd just miss maybe 3 or 4 movies or tv shows that I'd have to rent on DVD if I really wanted to watch them. A couple times I tried to resume playing from where I left off, and that's where it'd hang, I'd have to reboot to get it to play from the start again and then chapter forward.

Again, not bad enough for me to bitch a lot, just to be annoyed once in a while. I still use it regularly when my daughter is asleep and I don't want to rock the living room stereo or when I want to browse the internet while watching something.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Grand Prix preorder went up on Amazon. $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PHE9F6?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004PHE9F6

HD-DVD screenshots http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053304&highlight=grand+prix

Egbert Souse posted:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/529443-out-print-titles-recently-discovered-2nd-thread-28.html

Am I a jerk if the first thing I thought was "yes, looks like I'm going to be getting even more cash for a few of the titles I want to sell!"?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on...

Our Hospitality
The Mikado
Last Tango in Paris

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Are those Miramax titles going to be released under another distributor?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

Are those Miramax titles going to be released under another distributor?

Skimming through the link, I guess Echo Bridge?

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Should I try to snatch up the titles that I want now before its too late? Should I have a sense of urgency?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sursumdeorsum posted:

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Should I try to snatch up the titles that I want now before its too late? Should I have a sense of urgency?

You can snatch them up if you want, but they'll exist again relatively soon on Blu-ray so the only real market for these Buena Vista versions is going to be sperglords on the BR forums who flip out about needing the same thing twice because the UPCs are different.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Bambi has an insert included that lists a bunch of upcoming Blu-ray titles. Besides the ones everyone is aware of, like The Incredibles, Tangled, Dumbo and The Lion King, The Fox and the Hound is coming in September in a 2-pack with the sequel. Awesome!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ultraviolence123 posted:

Bambi has an insert included that lists a bunch of upcoming Blu-ray titles. Besides the ones everyone is aware of, like The Incredibles, Tangled, Dumbo and The Lion King, The Fox and the Hound is coming in September in a 2-pack with the sequel. Awesome!

I could swear Dumbo is already out on BR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I could swear Dumbo is already out on BR.

It is, but its the Spanish version.

• Locked thread