Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yoked posted:

Would you say the DLC is worth the money? I've been really impressed with how much the game improved from the first one, so I wouldn't mind paying a little bit to get more out of the current story if it's good.

The Forli one was a tad short but the Bonfire was good and well worth the money. The first one is one hour gig, the other can take longer (there is one especially tricky assassination which can be a bitch to get). For a couple of euros a piece, I guess they are OK.

If you buy them from the PS3 store, make sure to pick the one with the additional Templar hideouts and stuff. I mean they aren't that much but the Templar stuff cannot be bought separately and the price difference is something like 1 euro between the basic Bonfire and the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's worth mentioning the DLC is relevant to the storyline in brotherhood (A major character from them is a leading supporting character in Brotherhood) so if you want the whole story it's worth it.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I will pick up the DLC especially since I plan to play Brotherhood once it drops in price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you don't get the DLC, there's a massive "wait, what the hell just happened?" hole in the storyline, because they just skip over those parts of Ezio's life with a handwave justification. I haven't played them, but they were originally going to include those sequences in the game but couldn't finish them before the ship date, so I'd imagine that they fit in nicely.

And yeah, you want to finish all the glyphs before doing the final memory, just so it all makes a little bit more sense. If I'm reading Der Kyhe's post right, you'll want to do them all before sequence 11 ends. There's no real point to them after the exposition dump at the end, though. And you will be SO GLAD that you haven't spoilered the ending for yourself! It's messed up and awesome!

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
I'm playing Assassin's Creed II on PC... is there anything that I only have one chance to acquire? I want to try and complete everything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Regicide posted:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed II on PC... is there anything that I only have one chance to acquire? I want to try and complete everything.

No, you can revisit memories any time you want but I dont think anything is memory block specific unless you wanna replay story missions.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Does the PC version of AC2 have achievements? Because the kick-dudes-while-hang-gliding achievement is missable unless you buy the DLC.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5? I've played 1 and 2 before, but none of the others... I've heard there are a lot of big differences in this version, is there anything that might trip me up?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trying again - GTA4. Anything I can do about the lovely controls/settings/windows live?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Trying again - GTA4. Anything I can do about the lovely controls/settings/windows live?

if you are having a hard time being in control while driving then my advice is to brake before you enter a corner. the physics in this game have made it impossible to turn an degree angle like you used to in the previous games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5?

Put it down and pick up 4. :colbert:

Nah just kidding. Kinda. Anyways the biggest change as you may know is units are limited to 1 per tile. This fucks up the AI a lot for whatever reason so if you play on the medium difficulties all you really need to do is amass an army and go stomp their faces. Also there will be this new mechanic called Happiness. Its pretty hard in the early game to keep your population happy, but really you can just ignore it for the most part. Its suppose to limit how fast you can expand or something, but as you'll see the AI expands at a ridiculous pace, so they apparently just ignore it too. In that same vein, over expanding is not always bad in this game as opposed to like 4, and sometimes "city spamming" is a decent strategy. I've only played the original release unpatched version, and I heard they added some changes for the better so it may not be that way anymore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just started playing Imperialism 2 again. There's a lot to keep track of! Any general tips for keeping your industries running and making money? I'm never sure how big of a labor pool I want to have, I don't really have a sense of what's optimal. The tech tree confuses the hell out of me too, I've just been letting the AI handle it. Is that a terrible decision?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5? I've played 1 and 2 before, but none of the others... I've heard there are a lot of big differences in this version, is there anything that might trip me up?

Happiness is now a global resource rather than city-specific. You may wish to turn off population growth for some cities in the city manager, or not spam farms everywhere. Depends, really, on what you're going for.

Research is primarily based off of population, with structures modifying that amount. Generally speaking, knowledge producing buildings are only useful where you're already producing knowledge.

Build times may be weird as hell, with units taking longer to construct than wonders. This is an odd consequence of the lesser number of armies on the map... Exploit the unit upgrade system whenever possible, rather than relying on production. It'll save you a LOT of time.

Pay attention when you construct regular buildings. The maintenance costs tend to get out of control when you're not paying attention. More buildings is not always a good thing. Because of the relationship between growth and happiness, you can't often grow yourself out of a bad situation, even on the easiest difficulty setting.

It's not impossible to grow as much as you want, you just have to plan it or cap it as needed. You need the happiness to support the population you've added. You need the population to finance the upkeep on the happiness buildings, etc. I've read something about a February balance patch that may be worth waiting for. Among other things, some tile production of coins seems reduced, but some building maintenance costs have gone down while other building's gold output has increased. It sounds like the sort of thing that may really mess up a game in progress when it gets autopatched by Steam.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Supeerme posted:

if you are having a hard time being in control while driving then my advice is to handbrake before you enter a corner. the physics in this game have made it impossible to turn an degree angle like you used to in the previous games.

Really though, if you can control your handbraking, you can drive a lot easier with a keyboard and look awesome at the same time.

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

Any particularly game-breaking hints for Two Worlds? I want the quickest path to becoming a one-man smiting machine of horrible voice acting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Playing Evil Genius now. I'm trying to track down the North American crime boss, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere that I'm plotting. Do I need a larger control room or something?

Also, traps. I don't really know how to use them effectively. Or the Alert meter. :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Any particularly game-breaking hints for Two Worlds? I want the quickest path to becoming a one-man smiting machine of horrible voice acting.

The wiki page for Two Worlds has some useful tidbits already. Weapon stacking and alchemy are the two main ways to break the game though I haven't played it enough to really experience it first-hand (I really should though :() If you do some snooping around too (read: go to Gamefaqs) you can find console codes for the sweet pre-order gear.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 21, 2011

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Anatharon posted:

Playing Evil Genius now. I'm trying to track down the North American crime boss, but he doesn't seem to be anywhere that I'm plotting. Do I need a larger control room or something?

Also, traps. I don't really know how to use them effectively. Or the Alert meter. :v:

If I'm remembering correctly he's on the West Coast, which threw me a bit as well. There are tutorials on Youtube to set up almost impenetrable trap defenses, though I've never messed with them. As for Alerts, just set it to Yellow if you're worried about stuff going down and turn your volume done, so far as I know there's no way to turn off the blaring alarm. At the Yellow Alert level all of your military minions and workers will arm themselves, at Red they'll do the same, but they'll also attack everything in sight, it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth to go above Yellow.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 21, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

for Alerts, just set it to Yellow if you're worried about stuff going down and turn your volume done, so far as I know there's no way to turn off the blaring alarm.

Either shift-click or ctrl-click, I forget which, on the alert button to mute it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light

Random stuff I wish I'd realized much earlier than I did:

- Your power meter is also a score multiplier. When half full you score 2x for kills; when full, 3x. This doesn't affect points from picking up treasure.
- You can move boulders around very quickly with mines or grenades.
- You can drop mines while in mid-jump or while hanging from a grapple line; they'll fall straight down and stick to the first thing they touch.
- You can make the giant guys with shields a lot less tedious by using the rocket launcher; one shot will break their shield and then you can switch to your weapon of choice and ream them.
- You can't complete every challenge on a given level in a single run.
- Red skulls you pick up are remembered across plays, so you don't need to get all ten in a single run. The same goes for most other Find N Things challenges like "touch 3 spider tiles".
- You can skip most fights just by rolling through the enemies. This is vital to get most of the speed challenges.
- Ammo Regeneration is arguably the best Relic power.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I just bought Fallout 3: GOTY edition. I've played the main game through, but I this'll be the first time I play the DLC, any tips for those?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Monicro posted:

I just bought Fallout 3: GOTY edition. I've played the main game through, but I this'll be the first time I play the DLC, any tips for those?

Battleship Zeta is painfully boring, but gives you ridiculously overpowered energy weapons in return that will make nearly any enemy in the game trivial. So go there at your own risk.

Point Lookout was bugged for me and I don't own The Pit, so I can't comment on them.
If you level up to 30 with Broken Steel there will be a lot of enemies roaming around that have ridiculous amounts of health, so either get a mod to alleviate that or get used to carrying a whole lot of ammo around if you're a ranged character.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Permanent stat ingrediants need to be mixed with a health potion in order to get the perma-stat.

All of the decent equipment is usually in locked chests so it's worth dumping some points into lockpick

Enjoy the gameworld, it's bloody gorgeous and by far the best part of the game, especially the dead forest to the south-east.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Monicro posted:

Broken Steel has a poo poo quest, in my opinion (aside from the giant robot). The biggest thing to know about this DLC is that it will add several new high-level monster types to the gameworld (not just Broken Steel areas). They are the Ghoul Reavers and the Super Mutant Overlords and whatnot. They'll only show up when you're a high level, but they're a pain to take down. You really have to just stand in front of them and keep shooting. It sucks that they'll appear in non-DLC areas because they're really unfun enemies. Oh, and it raises the level cap to 30, which is worth the price of admission alone.

Point Lookout is far and away the most interesting of the DLCs. You get a giant new area that you can revisit whenever you want (both before and after completing the DLC questline). It has interesting characters and it stays fun for the most part.

Operation: Anchorage is a self-contained area that you won't be able to revisit once you've finished the questline. It's REALLY straightforward and the big draw is the fact that it takes place prior to the Great War. So you get to fight actual Chinese soldiers alongside American power-armored troops.

Mothership Zeta is just tedious and slow. You're stuck in the ship (although you can revisit after beating the quest) and it's a very linear progression to the end. All the enemies start to feel the same (aliens! tough aliens! even tougher aliens!) and the maps are really repetitive. If you're a completionist, be very careful about getting all the data recordings, as you won't be able to return to some areas after leaving them. Also, YMMV, but Mothership Zeta was by far the buggiest of the DLCs for me. And it was really buggy on the PS3.

The Pitt was pretty good. It felt the most Fallout-y of the DLCs, but it was the last one I'd played and I got burned out on the others so I never finished it.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 22, 2011

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

Polite Tim posted:

Permanent stat ingrediants need to be mixed with a health potion in order to get the perma-stat.

Excellent, this is what I was looking for. As far as alchemy goes, can you mix a bunch of permanent stat boosters into the same potion or do you need to do each one individually? Any specific formulations that stand out?

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Excellent, this is what I was looking for. As far as alchemy goes, can you mix a bunch of permanent stat boosters into the same potion or do you need to do each one individually? Any specific formulations that stand out?

Later on in the game you can find dragons. Not a spoiler it was in the trailers and come onnnn. They drop items that add to your Physical resistance. Mix with pretty much anything and you can become nearly invincible to swords.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light

Other things:

- The Hand Magnums and the Automatic Pistols are two of the absolute best items in the game. As soon as you hit the level that unlocks them, you should play until you beat the challenges that gives them to you. If you're playing co-op, you should either play it so that one of you has the Magnums and the other has the Pistols, or just spend the time to make sure that you both get the Pistols.
- The other must-have item is one of the last to get unlocked. It's the Spear of Light, and it's fantastic because it will move through any enemies in its path, meaning you can often take out a whole line of monsters in one shot (as opposed to the other two spears which disappear after hitting a single enemy).
- As you progress through the game, you should focus primarily on unlocking weapons, and you should be prepared to replay certain areas just to get the weapon. The relics are less essential, as they're often rendered useless by relics you obtain later in the game, while many weapons will remain useful throughout. (The exceptions being weapons that have upgraded versions, like the shotgun. You don't need to worry about unlocking a weaker shotgun if you already have access to the Golden version.)
- When it comes to the challenges where you need to roll a ball to a specified location, it's much easier to complete with a partner, since if you die in the process, they can just grab the ball and keep going. The same applies to timed challenges.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Astfgl posted:

- The Hand Magnums and the Automatic Pistols are two of the absolute best items in the game. As soon as you hit the level that unlocks them, you should play until you beat the challenges that gives them to you. If you're playing co-op, you should either play it so that one of you has the Magnums and the other has the Pistols, or just spend the time to make sure that you both get the Pistols.

The railgun is also legitimately excellent. It can't handle swarms like the pistols or the fast-action rifle can, but it has the highest single-shot damage in the game, and when boosted by a Relic can one-shot anything, including the final boss. Given that in several of the arenas he has fairly short windows of vulnerability, the railgun is a great choice (and makes getting the "defeat him in 10:00" challenge trivial).

Concerning the artifacts and relics, the best ones aren't available until Fortress Passage (Jade Heart) and The Mirror's Wake (another Jade Heart and the Mask of Xolotl). Having others will help early on, but don't stress about getting them all; even if you're going for a completionist run, it'll be easier to complete all of the challenges once you have those three.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Monicro posted:

In addition to what has been said, Mothership Zeta gives you Alien Epoxy, which can repair any weapon with no compatible weapon to consume (the amount repaired per tube is based on your Repair skill, though) and Operation: Anchorage gives you the Chinese Stealth Suit, which works like Oblivion's Chameleon mechanic - given a high enough stealth skill, you're literally invisible, and if you're spotted you can often shake enemies just by standing up and crouching again.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

Operation: Anchorage gives you the Chinese Stealth Suit, which works like Oblivion's Chameleon mechanic - given a high enough stealth skill, you're literally invisible, and if you're spotted you can often shake enemies just by standing up and crouching again.

The Chinese Stealth Suit breaks the game. So if you're finding that some of the new high-level enemies are a little to difficult to tackle head-on, you may want to run through Anchorage (it's the shortest of all the DLCs, if memory serves) to get access to the suit. The problem is that once you have the suit, any fight with a normal monster (aka anything that isn't a Ghoul Reaver or a Mutant Overlord or an Albino Radscorpion) will be a breeze because you can just cheese it with the suit.

Also, while wearing the suit you can wear an infinite amount of headgear. This is a glitch that was apparently never patched out. You can equip, and receive stat/skill bonuses, from as many pieces of headgear as you can wear. You may find some problems if you try to equip certain combinations (like a hockey mask with eyeglasses), but if you're just using hats and eyegear you'll be fine. You can stack some pretty hefty modifiers to things like Perception this way, so if you plan for this in advance you can drain that skill considerably during character creation.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So I just got the game Red Dead Redemption today from Gamefly. I can't seem to find anything on the wiki. Any tips?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Forceholy posted:

So I just got the game Red Dead Redemption today from Gamefly. I can't seem to find anything on the wiki. Any tips?

Generic things everyone will tell you

*Keep playing the ranch missions until you get a lasso.

*Horse titles are permanent so buy the best horse and ignore the rest.

*There are two points in the game where you finish a mission and the cut scene ends with you on a horse: after getting off a raft in Mexico and after raiding a fort in the mountains. STAY ON THE HORSE.

MackSterling
Mar 17, 2009
What should I keep in mind while playing Operation Darkness?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astfgl posted:

The Chinese Stealth Suit breaks the game. So if you're finding that some of the new high-level enemies are a little to difficult to tackle head-on, you may want to run through Anchorage (it's the shortest of all the DLCs, if memory serves) to get access to the suit. The problem is that once you have the suit, any fight with a normal monster (aka anything that isn't a Ghoul Reaver or a Mutant Overlord or an Albino Radscorpion) will be a breeze because you can just cheese it with the suit.

Also, while wearing the suit you can wear an infinite amount of headgear. This is a glitch that was apparently never patched out. You can equip, and receive stat/skill bonuses, from as many pieces of headgear as you can wear. You may find some problems if you try to equip certain combinations (like a hockey mask with eyeglasses), but if you're just using hats and eyegear you'll be fine. You can stack some pretty hefty modifiers to things like Perception this way, so if you plan for this in advance you can drain that skill considerably during character creation.

Speaking of headgear in FO3 DLC, at some point in Point Lookout you may find yourself unable to wear headgear. There is a stupid reason for this, it's not a glitch.

Honestly, I didn't find either Anchorage or Zeta fun at all. I would honestly just use the console to get items if you want them. Broken Steel isn't very good, but it raises the level cap, so. The Pitt was alright, and it has GREAT art direction and a pretty good story. Point Lookout is better than the regular game, IMO.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Buy the campfire, as its how you fast travel in the game. Simply open the campfire somewhere the game deigns to let you, and have a point on the map selected. Presto, no more ages and ages to get places.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Never use fast travel. The world is a beautiful thing to look at, and lots of crazy poo poo happens.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Never use fast travel. The world is a beautiful thing to look at, and lots of crazy poo poo happens.

This is definitely true, and excellent advice. If you fast travel all the time, you miss out on all the random encounters that make the game as awesome as it is (a lot of things make the game awesome, but the random encounters are among them). And, like you said, they did an amazing job creating the game world; it's worth it to ride everywhere just to look at the landscape. Mexico in particular is pretty stellar.

But if you absolutely positively must fast travel, know that you don't have to buy anything to do it, you start the game with the ability to make a campfire in the wilderness and fast travel. The campfire you can buy just improves the camp's ammo-giving abilities (which are well and truly worthless in my opinion; they don't give you anything until you're completely out and even then you don't get much), it really isn't worth the money if you ask me.

And a tip of my own: if you get stuck on the first treasure map, consider just looking at an FAQ. In my opinion (and many other people's opinions though many other other people call me and the other people stupid but screw them they're wrong) the first treasure map is really vague, because you don't quite know how to read them yet, and depending on how you look at it, it points you to the wrong place. The second treasure map is a little tricky too but after that it gets a lot easier and more fun; the trick from then on is more about identifying the landmark than scratching your head over what the map is trying to tell you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
RE: Bully

Mierenneuker posted:

Your reward for completing Geography classes is that the map will point out the collectibles. No need to use a FAQ for those!
Fixed that for you.

• Halloween night is one night, and that's it; you may want to save on that day (I didn't, and I failed "The Big Prank", and... *sigh*)
  • For everything else, take your time and enjoy things.
  • Shop class sucks. It unlocks bikes to ride, but it's not a big deal, so don't stress over it.
  • You will unlock other "hideouts" you can sleep at, though only the dorm is really useful, since it's close to school for attending classes.
  • It's difficult to know what clothes are allowed, so if you don't want to get chased by prefects all the time, always wear your base school uniform.
  • Don't hit any girls/women unless you enjoy running, especially in town. Don't even brush by them on your bike.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Started playing Nier
You must finish Nier at least twice, hang in there.

Edit:

pseudorandom name posted:

Funny you should mention this; when I got off the raft after crossing the river, and you hear that awesome song start playing, I was running for my life from a coyote/wolf/fucker and eventually got mauled, completely breaking that scene and cutting the music.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 25, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got Heroes of Might and Magic 5 + the expansion, what should I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

duckfarts posted:

You must finish Nier at least twice, hang in there.

I beat it once and I started a new game plus, but I think I wanna let it sit for a few days before I really jump back into it. I played it pretty intensely, I want to give myself some time away from it before I start it up again.

Without getting too spoilery, how much of the new game+ differs from the first run through? I got as far as (this will be probably a bit spoilery for people who haven't played Nier yet so don't read it) reading all of Kaine's backstory and getting the achievement for that and starting in on the gameplay before I decided to quit for a while. Can I expect the game to be pretty much the same after that apart from the ending, or will there be a lot of differences?

I guess I just want to know because I'll probably want to play again sooner if I can look forward to more new poo poo before just the very end.