Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm probably going to get poo poo for this in this thread, but I'm thinking that if I want to get into shooting video rather than still more, if I get something right now like a Flip or a GoPro, then I'll get more experience actually working with footage and going out and shooting straight away, rather than waiting until I can afford a better camera. Bad idea?

Go buy a used HV20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like the form factor and mounting solutions on the GoPro, but in my opinion an HV20 produces sharper and cleaner images. I've used the HV30 (same chip as the HV20 I think) as a B-camera to the HMC150, and in good lighting conditions and some light grading it can be intercut very easily with a prosumer camera. On the other hand, I can always spot GoPro footage because it just doesn't look as good.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Another nooby question here. I use manual White Balance all the time because the ATW on my HMC40 usually gives me disappointing results. However, I'm kinda confused on how I can pull off a single shot that goes through several different lighting situations. I.E. an outdoor shot that goes indoor without a cut. Do I just have to suck it up and split the shots up, or use the ATW?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What if you got some 5600k bulbs and used them indoors?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

butterypancakes posted:

Go buy a used HV20.

Is there a recommendation for a tapeless version of something like the HV20? HD with manual exposure and mic input?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The HF20 is the AVCHD equivalent, though the sensor is smaller (1/2.7".vs 1/4")

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Anyone here work at/know any rental places in LA? I'm looking to rent a video camera on Friday and Saturday, preferably P2 or XDCAM (but any 1/3" tapeless will do).

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Come to where I work. Indie Rentals! you can see what we got at Indierentals.com 323-465-7700. My name is Adam. PEACE!

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

SquareDog posted:

Come to where I work. Indie Rentals! you can see what we got at Indierentals.com 323-465-7700. My name is Adam. PEACE!

Joe still working there? Ever rent that Handsfree Transporter?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Tatrakrad posted:

I just bought a GH2 myself. Footage looks great. I don't know how you managed to hold it so steady, that camera is light as hell.

I had a little help from amazon's awesome $30 shoulder mount:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Tiresias posted:

Joe still working there? Ever rent that Handsfree Transporter?

He does but I don't know about the whatsit.

EDIT: OH! The Segway! hmmmm, once in a blue moon it goes out. it's really fun. And you look like way less of a nerd on it when you're operating an action-cam with it.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 25, 2011

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I had a little help from amazon's awesome $30 shoulder mount:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S

Finally, you just saved me a bunch of money on a rig for what may be my last short ever.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

SquareDog posted:

Uhhhh how much can we exploit you?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SquareDog posted:

Cool, I didn't end up needing a 2nd camera, but I will be sure to exploit patronize your business in the future.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

FLX posted:

What kind of still camera do you have at the moment? Does it record video, and if not, would it make sense to sell it and get a low-end Canon DSLR (e.g. the 60D) with video capabilities?

I've got a 400D at the moment, and the Canon 10-22, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 50mm 1.8 as far as lenses go. I guess I could go for a 60D or something.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I've got a 400D at the moment, and the Canon 10-22, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Canon 50mm 1.8 as far as lenses go. I guess I could go for a 60D or something.

Just as long as you realize that the T2i records the same quality video (arguably better once you hack it) AND has a much more developed firmware hacking community that has unlocked features no other DSLR has. If you need a more solid feeling construction, get the 60d. If you need a swivel screen, wait for the T3i.

The T2i really is an incredible value for the price.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

SquareDog posted:

He does but I don't know about the whatsit.

EDIT: OH! The Segway! hmmmm, once in a blue moon it goes out. it's really fun. And you look like way less of a nerd on it when you're operating an action-cam with it.

Way less of a nerd, yes. With an ActionCam? I doubt it. </steadicam snob>

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just as long as you realize that the T2i records the same quality video (arguably better once you hack it) AND has a much more developed firmware hacking community that has unlocked features no other DSLR has. If you need a more solid feeling construction, get the 60d. If you need a swivel screen, wait for the T3i.

The T2i really is an incredible value for the price.

Mm, I just don't think I'd be happy paying however much money it is for the T2i (550D?) when it's not that much of an improvement over the 400D I have now (I know video was the main reason I was asking this question, but I'm primarily a stills shooter with big hands, so the tininess of the lower end bodies gets to me a bit.

Edit: basically, my original question was trying to say: is it worth buying one of these cheap pocket things right now and therefore getting more experience and just getting out and shooting, rather than saving up and waiting 2-3 months for something nicer?

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 26, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Mm, I just don't think I'd be happy paying however much money it is for the T2i (550D?) when it's not that much of an improvement over the 400D I have now (I know video was the main reason I was asking this question, but I'm primarily a stills shooter with big hands, so the tininess of the lower end bodies gets to me a bit.

Umm, the T2i is a huge improvement over the 400d. But whatever, I'm not getting paid to hype them.

quote:

Edit: basically, my original question was trying to say: is it worth buying one of these cheap pocket things right now and therefore getting more experience and just getting out and shooting, rather than saving up and waiting 2-3 months for something nicer?

I think only you can answer that. The pocket recorders have severe limitations on composition, audio, lenses, and stabilization. It really depends on what you want to shoot.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Hey guys, here is a commercial my production company just finished for our military prop rental company. Shot on an HPX170 (before we got a 5D), edited in FCP and AE, also composed our own music for it. Let me know what you think! http://www.vimeo.com/20423117

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Are any of these DIY stabilizers/steadicam things worth a god drat? What are the basic fundamentals of stabilization?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

the Bunt posted:

Are any of these DIY stabilizers/steadicam things worth a god drat? What are the basic fundamentals of stabilization?

They're good for how much you'll be paying for them. They basically just use a counterbalance to smooth out motion, which is handy though a bit finicky to get right the first go since you'll need to know how much the camera weighs. They're not perfect by a long shot but they can be pretty great if you're on a super tight budget.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

the Bunt posted:

I got a flycam nano somewhat recently for $115 shipped off ebay and, never having touched anything like it before, it did a pretty drat good job. Something like a Glidecam seems a hell of a lot easier to adjust though.

I believe it's just based around moving the center of balance or whatever the hell you call it away from the camera. That way when your hands shake it's not rotating the camera (very noticable) but moving it vertically or horizontally (much less noticable, especially with wider angle lenses).

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I got a flycam nano somewhat recently for $115 shipped off ebay and, never having touched anything like it before, it did a pretty drat good job. Something like a Glidecam seems a hell of a lot easier to adjust though.

I believe it's just based around moving the center of balance or whatever the hell you call it away from the camera. That way when your hands shake it's not rotating the camera (very noticable) but moving it vertically or horizontally (much less noticable, especially with wider angle lenses).

It appears my HMC40 is a little too heavy for that. It weighs 2.16 pounds/980g

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

the Bunt posted:

It appears my HMC40 is a little too heavy for that. It weighs 2.16 pounds/980g

I thought the flycam nano took up to 3lbs?

edit: No, I am just awful at math.

edit 2: And reading.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone have experience with the Steadytracker?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone know about the difference between 1080i 24p and 1080i 24pA on HVX? I did a music video shoot this weekend, had my HVX on a crane with two DSLRs going handheld, but when I try to import my HVX footage in Final Cut, it keeps telling me it's at 29.97 and giving me some interlacing.

I can probably make it work by using it sparingly and using compressor to convert to 24 fps but I'd like to get a clean import if possible. I used 1080i 24p (NOT 24pA) so maybe I just screwed up big, but maybe someone's got some advice. I normally shoot at 720 which doesn't have this mess

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
1080 24p is 60i with a pulldown, just like 24 on the DVX. Tools > DVCPRO HD Frame Converter might do the trick, but that could just be for 720p's duplicate frames, it's been a while. An inverse telecine in Compressor or Cinema Tools will work.

butterypancakes fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 28, 2011

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

DVCPRO HD only supports 720p. I did Tools -> Remove Advanced Pulldown and that brought it down to 23.98, should that be good enough? I'm still seeing some interlacing but that's not the end of the world. I've still got all day to convert these H264 files to APR as it is

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Try using Compressor. 23.976 fps and de-interlace set to Reverse Telecine. As long as it detects the correct cadence, it should end up no different than something shot Psf.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Cool, I'll give that a shot after Compressor finishes with all this DSLR footage.

Wound up pulling a small crew together to spend the day on green screen with a sacramento-area rapper, my HVX on a crane with a 7D and a T2i. Tried to shoot with the DSLRs on sticks, but the energy level was so low I was worried the whole shoot was gonna fall apart.

So I had them pull off sticks and get in his face w/ the cameras, handheld. I'm gonna hate all the keying, but creating that tight space (cameras as close in as possible, lenses as wide as possible) really woke him up.

I gave up on running the HVX (just left it running where it was) and switched to directing. Now I've got a goddamn mess of clips to go through, but I think it was worth it to get the performance I wanted for this video.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm still getting the interlacing when I run reverse telecine. This is what I did: In the "Encoder" panel, I went into Video Settings and changed the frame rate to 24. Left data rate on automatic, interlaced is unchecked and "Enable 4:4:4 chroma filtering" is still checked.

Then in "Frame Controls" I've got the Deinterlace set to Reverse Telecine.

No other changes to the "Apple ProRes 422" codec I drop on in Compressor. It's changing the framerate fine, but is there anything that can be done about the interlacing?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Do any of you guys use a Kessler cinneslider? I have a lovely indiSLIDER mini deluxe and it isnt TOO bad but it take a poo poo ton of time to get a good slide and even then its all wobbly.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2014

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

exponentory posted:

I used one last weekend. It's solid as hell and works great. I've used the indislider you're talking about and know what you mean. The kessler one is a lot heaver and has a rubber belt and crank system that works really well

Is it pretty easy to crank at a steady pace? I spend half my day trying to get a smooth slide on this indislider, its such a waste of time.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

exponentory posted:

* focus assist is amazing

I keep wanting the 1:1 focus assist from the HVX.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

exponentory posted:

I rented an af100 over the weekend and shot with it for three days. So many awesome things about that camera. Here's a few thoughts on it. I'll post my test shoot soon

* the 4/3 sensor made using my wider lenses kind of difficult. I think it's a 2x crop, around there
* miss the ability to custom WB
* rolling shutter & moiré wasn't too much of an issue, which was nice
* xlr, viewfinder, big LCD, all that stuff
* focus assist is amazing
* ND ND ND
* the picture is gorgeous

I'm using it here with a zeiss zf.2 85 1.4

some ungraded screenshots

Oh my lord yes. You have no idea how much I love this camera. I'm looking at getting one of these sexy motherfuckers to attach to it to get around the bandwidth constraints and kick it up to 4:2:2. The cropping issues were kinda blech, I agree though.

Still amazed with how minimal the rolling shutter is on it, all things considered. Applying a fix to it in vdub didn't leave me with any jerkiness on the abrupt end of some really lovely pans.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

Oh my lord yes. You have no idea how much I love this camera. I'm looking at getting one of these sexy motherfuckers to attach to it to get around the bandwidth constraints and kick it up to 4:2:2. The cropping issues were kinda blech, I agree though.

Still amazed with how minimal the rolling shutter is on it, all things considered. Applying a fix to it in vdub didn't leave me with any jerkiness on the abrupt end of some really lovely pans.

If you're gonna attach a Nano to a $4000 camera, wouldn't you have been better off going with a more expensive camera to begin with?