Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

The iPhone 4 I think does in camera HDR already

Conceptually it's simple. If current camera sensors are recording N levels of light intensity, all you have to do is make a sensor that can detect N+1.. presto, you have an HDR file.

At that point the limiting factor is the levels of light intensity that our monitors can reproduce.

Not that this would matter I suppose, as most photographers interpret HDR as an opportunity to drive color saturation through the roof, and you don't need a new monitor to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Conceptually it's simple. If current camera sensors are recording N levels of light intensity, all you have to do is make a sensor that can detect N+1.. presto, you have an HDR file.

You think apple actually spends money on engineering? what would they spend on advertising then?

They probably just take 2 images with a cheap sensor to bracket and combine in software.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

A5H posted:

I mean like a vector image. So a camera that doesn't use pixels?
I know this is really stupid btw. But is it possible to some degree?

You can convert a raster file to a vector file through tracing and edge detection, but unless the image is something relatively simple on a clean background, it'll look like crap.

Captain Postal posted:

They probably just take 2 images with a cheap sensor to bracket and combine in software.

I'm pretty sure they take one photo, boost the shadows, bring down the highlights and call it a day. The camera application works too fast for it to be doing real bracketing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

You think apple actually spends money on engineering? what would they spend on advertising then?

Well, I was speaking in generalities.

Apple probably just messes with the sliders before saving the file.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, you're probably both right. Much easier to do it in one shot. Out of curiosity though, how fast can a camera like that take images if there's no mirror and you don't need to wait for the last pixel to be read before reading the first one again? Is it just the response time of the photodiode (+buffering)?

edit: If I worked for apple, I'd define 6bit as standard dynamic range (or whatever the iphone 4 display does). Much easier to get over the bar to be classified as HDR then, and most apple users would never realise they were being scammed.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A5H posted:

Is it possible to build a machine that records something as vector data?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyQoTGdQywY

edit: Oh that's probably not what you mean at all.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 21, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, you're probably both right. Much easier to do it in one shot. Out of curiosity though, how fast can a camera like that take images if there's no mirror and you don't need to wait for the last pixel to be read before reading the first one again? Is it just the response time of the photodiode (+buffering)?

On cell phones it's basically functioning as a video camera and pictures are just still frames from the stream of data.

So you can take pictures as fast as data comes in off the sensor and you can write it to permanent storage.

Which, for the record, is not instant. There's a polling speed where the device reads each pixels in a row before doing the next row. Look up pictures of plane propellers taken by cell phones.. get some really neat distortions.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

xzzy posted:

On cell phones it's basically functioning as a video camera and pictures are just still frames from the stream of data.

So you can take pictures as fast as data comes in off the sensor and you can write it to permanent storage.

Which, for the record, is not instant. There's a polling speed where the device reads each pixels in a row before doing the next row. Look up pictures of plane propellers taken by cell phones.. get some really neat distortions.

I've always wondered why exactly they operate like that ... Is the bandwidth and speed is just not there for all data points to be saved at once off the sensor and written to storage, and instead being forced to be written one at a time, albeit ridiculously fast? And it's just CMOS sensors that have that issue, right? Do CCD sensors work the same way?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I was under the impression most cell phone cameras work similar to scanning backs, ie. they poll the sensor for the information instead of it coming in as a lump of data.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onezero posted:

I've always wondered why exactly they operate like that ... Is the bandwidth and speed is just not there for all data points to be saved at once off the sensor and written to storage, and instead being forced to be written one at a time, albeit ridiculously fast? And it's just CMOS sensors that have that issue, right? Do CCD sensors work the same way?

I'm not an engineer so in some ways I'm talking out my rear end here, but I think yes it comes down to the basic technology. A CCD has to be completely blocked from light prior to taking a picture, works just like film does. A CMOS can be "reset" via software so in theory you don't even need a mechanical shutter.

CMOS sensors can have mechanical shutters, but I think most cellphones omit them to save space.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

A5H posted:

I mean like a vector image. So a camera that doesn't use pixels?
I know this is really stupid btw. But is it possible to some degree?

Something almost kind of almost close at http://dsp.rice.edu/cscamera.

It's not actually mentioned anywhere on that page, but I recall reading an article in the new scientist that said it followed detail in the image rather than just imaging every point.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Just got a Pentax ZX-30 for free from a friend! Really excited to go play with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You guys should see I Am Number Four. It's awful and the love interest in it is this horrible photographer girl whose favorite camera "has all these light leaks so that the pictures always have so much character."

Every time she opened her mouth I cringed.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Well this guy's got some balls. http://vimeo.com/19972569 He pasted a huge sign to the side of a bridge asking for an assisting opportunity with David LaChapelle.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think too often people mistake having a complete lack of common sense and/or shame for "having balls."

He basically just yelled "HEY LOOK AT ME" and hoped it would somehow get him a chance to work with a world renowned photographer.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He basically just yelled "HEY LOOK AT ME" and hoped it would somehow get him a chance to work with a world renowned photographer.

Also, "feel free to arrest me for trespassing and vandalism".

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Martytoof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyQoTGdQywY

edit: Oh that's probably not what you mean at all.

This is LIDAR and is tremendously useful to autonomous robotics (eg DARPA grand challenge).

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
How do you lefties feel about using dslrs which seem to be designed for righties?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm left handed, and I don't have a problem at all with SLRs or other cameras built to be held in the right hand. Focus and zoom are with the left hand, and both hands work together to support the weight and fine-tune composition. I use a computer mouse right-handed, so I'm used to pushing buttons and rolling a wheel with the fingers of my right hand anyways. I don't think a mirror-image version would be any easier for me to use.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ExecuDork posted:

I'm left handed, and I don't have a problem at all with SLRs or other cameras built to be held in the right hand. Focus and zoom are with the left hand, and both hands work together to support the weight and fine-tune composition. I use a computer mouse right-handed, so I'm used to pushing buttons and rolling a wheel with the fingers of my right hand anyways. I don't think a mirror-image version would be any easier for me to use.

All the left-handed people I know do most things right-handed as well. Mouses are especially common, and something like a camera doesn't take nearly the coordination that a mouse does to use in the other hand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a friend who is pretty much limited to Point and Shoots because he doesn't have a right arm. Too bad for him there's really no market for "people who actually NEED a left handed DSLR" :smith:

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Being a lefty means that we all have to be somewhat ambidextrous. Cameras don't pose a problem for me any more than using a mouse, using chopsticks, or writing (though the last part is pretty drat ugly, but doable.)

Unfortunately, having a dominant left eye means that it's a bit hard to shoot with both eyes open; I can't see the viewfinder out of the right eye without closing my left, but my right hand blocks off most of my vision if I hold the viewfinder to my left eye.

Martytoof posted:

I have a friend who is pretty much limited to Point and Shoots because he doesn't have a right arm. Too bad for him there's really no market for "people who actually NEED a left handed DSLR" :smith:

Unfortunately, even if there were left-handed DSLRs he'd probably have a problem zooming in/out, unless there were a way to strap the DSLR onto his head.

Hey, that could be an interesting invention, though I can't imagine who'd want to look like a cyborg with that. It'd be heavy as all hell, too.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Casull posted:

Unfortunately, even if there were left-handed DSLRs he'd probably have a problem zooming in/out, unless there were a way to strap the DSLR onto his head.

Hey, that could be an interesting invention, though I can't imagine who'd want to look like a cyborg with that. It'd be heavy as all hell, too.

Canon beat you to it, using a motor to zoom. Although it is a dog of a lens. Buttons!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You could hack together a grip from a remote shutter cable and a flash bracket. You wouldn't have many controls but it would be pretty cool to see a one armed man doing street with a custom left hand camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

The Moskva 5 has the shutter release on the left side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Get him a Hasselblad and mount it on his chest like they did on the moon landings. Everyone will be super jealous.

(though seriously, that might actually work, if you got a camera with a remote that has a wheel for adjusting settings)

Get a camera with a fold out display, and have someone good with electronics detach the screen so he can mount it on his wrist.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If I had $4000 to spare, I'd definitely buy this.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Miscellaneous-Collectibles-Fixed-Lens-Cameras/1/sku-AC049990867670?r=FE

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

GWBBQ posted:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Miscellaneous-Collectibles-Fixed-Lens-Cameras/1/sku-AC049990867670?r=FE

Come on, man, go on a trip, see the world. Don't buy that thing. gently caress that thing. Find the most expensive restaurant and go there with a girl of your choosing in a rented tux. You know those condoms with the vibrating cock ring? Buy those and visit whores. Get liposuction where you don't even need it. gently caress that camera, man, gently caress it. Enroll in community college or whatever the gently caress you guys have in America, or just use that money for awesome photographic set pieces, like going and purchasing the main meal at all the fast food restaurants within in hours drive, Ie. Big Macs, Whoppers, whatever the salty fish poo poo they sell at Long John Silver's and set it all up in an empty pool with a waterproof HD camera strapped to the bottom and

I don't know. But $4000. gently caress. I spent $8000 on a D3s and I haaate myself. I never use it and I want to sell it.

Sometimes I look at myself and wonder why I'm not richer at 25 and it's because of dumb mope moves like this.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

I spent $8000 on a D3s and I haaate myself. I never use it and I want to sell it.

I'll give you a hundred bucks for it, and I guarantee you'll feel better because I will use the poo poo out of it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GWBBQ posted:

"Condition: BGN"

How the gently caress did they determine that? What would an "EX+" one look like?

You know, for $4000 you could probably build an actually useable camera like that, using modern (but used) off-the-shelf camera gear and gun parts.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Come on, man, go on a trip, see the world. Don't buy that thing. gently caress that thing. Find the most expensive restaurant and go there with a girl of your choosing in a rented tux. You know those condoms with the vibrating cock ring? Buy those and visit whores. Get liposuction where you don't even need it. gently caress that camera, man, gently caress it. Enroll in community college or whatever the gently caress you guys have in America, or just use that money for awesome photographic set pieces, like going and purchasing the main meal at all the fast food restaurants within in hours drive, Ie. Big Macs, Whoppers, whatever the salty fish poo poo they sell at Long John Silver's and set it all up in an empty pool with a waterproof HD camera strapped to the bottom and

I don't know. But $4000. gently caress. I spent $8000 on a D3s and I haaate myself. I never use it and I want to sell it.

Sometimes I look at myself and wonder why I'm not richer at 25 and it's because of dumb mope moves like this.

Buy a NASA-style Nikon F3 and glue some optical sights on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCmsXfPE3s

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

You should have sold him your K10D, not to some random stranger. With the grip, it's quite useable entirely with only the left hand.

Left-handed DSLR use (2 of 2) by Execudork, on Flickr

Left-handed DSLR use (1 of 2) by Execudork, on Flickr

I had to sit down and put the camera between my legs to remove the lens, but otherwise I used only my left hand (and occassionally had the camera swinging from the strap, but that's my clumsiness, not a handedness thing).

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Helmacron posted:

I already own a tux, vibrating condoms suck, I get free tuition because I work at a university, I love novelties and oddities, and I'm sensible enough that having $4000 "to spare" would mean I could afford to do all of that stuff plus buy as many training gun cameras as I could find, have mock battles with friends in my back yard, and make everyone develop their own film if they want to find out how they scored.

But now ExecuDork has me wondering what I can do with the $15 hand cranked 8mm camera they have sitting at the local Goodwill, the extra gun stock and foregrips I have for my AK, and parts from Home Depot. Actually, I know what I should do, and it's buy the camera, pop the Kodachrome cartridge out of it, and develop it in black and white.

ExecuDork posted:

You should have sold him your K10D, not to some random stranger. With the grip, it's quite useable entirely with only the left hand.

I had to sit down and put the camera between my legs to remove the lens, but otherwise I used only my left hand (and occassionally had the camera swinging from the strap, but that's my clumsiness, not a handedness thing).
This also works with Canon's cameras and battery grips.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

ExecuDork posted:

It's really confusing trying to figure out what hand you are actually using there. Mirrors are hard :psyduck:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I thought about putting my P&S on a tripod and posing, but then I wouldn't have clear proof that I actually pushed the button with my left hand.

Also, I need to go the goddam gym.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I shot (for free) an event for a good nonprofit organization and they told me that they were so kind as to let me keep the photos and I could even use them for my own promotion! Aren't they so nice. I kept my mouth shut of course, but that kind of attitude is pretty frustrating, especially since I did this on a favor to another photographer friend, and the moment I arrived, they began ordering me around ("you'll need to stay here and act like paparazzi so people feel special").

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah that's about the only situation where I can see letting that slide as okay really, doesn't mean you have to enjoy it though!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I can't stand fake red carpet event crap. So cheesy.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, if it was anything other than a favor for a friend for a nonprofit, I wouldn't have bothered. It's interesting watching people dress up and pretend to be rich though, some people are so obsessed with this fake socialite stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

GWBBQ posted:

For about a hundred bucks, you could rock the KGB-issue Zenit "Fotosnaiper." It'd be almost as goony as using the machine gun camera, and only slightly less likely to get you shot by the police.

(source: http://esens.deviantart.com/art/fotosnaiper-ID-42129400)

Or perhaps a surplus Graflex K20:

Uses 5-inch aerial rollfilm so you can scoff at all those 120-format chumps... at several hundred dollars per roll.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 25, 2011