Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My 2000 TJ 4.0 did a strange thing today that I haven't been able to repeat: I started it up after I stopped at the house to shop for a trip I'm taking soon. When it started, it felt like half of the cylinders were not firing for a few seconds when it started. Over the next few seconds more of the cylinders started firing until all was normal. No CEL or rough running after that.

:wtc:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
You probably have the cyl #3 heat soak issue. Basically the injector for #3 is in a bad spot so far as thermal conditions are concerned. After hot shutoff, fuel in the injector can vaporize and temporarily disrupt fuel flow to cyl #3. I don't know if you can still get the kit, but it's basically a fiberglass/aluminum shroud that surrounds the injectors and insulates them from the intake/exhaust.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

edit: I read the TSB in full and it just suggests a wrap/sleeve for #3 injector. You could make this yourself out of, for example, flexible heat shielding fabric that you can find at some auto stores or even hardware stores.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 16, 2011

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
The #3 heatsoak is particularly annoying in Memphis summers, but the heatshield solves the problem in a matter of minutes.

I'm using an ARB harness to power my Hella H4 lamps, and have a pair of Hella 530 H3 fog lights (driving lenses/reflector). I'd like to put some brighter bulbs in both since the harnesses can handle it.

Are there any gold standards for either bulb type? As long as it's DOT-legal, will last a good while, and not melt the housing, I'm satisfied... not certain of whether I'd like to go with amber in the driving light or pair with the same model line used in the headlamp. So far I've been looking at PIAA Intense White in H3 and H4, though I'm not sure if the output is genuinely superior to a decent Hella bulb or if it's :rice:.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

incredibull posted:

You probably have the cyl #3 heat soak issue. Basically the injector for #3 is in a bad spot so far as thermal conditions are concerned. After hot shutoff, fuel in the injector can vaporize and temporarily disrupt fuel flow to cyl #3. I don't know if you can still get the kit, but it's basically a fiberglass/aluminum shroud that surrounds the injectors and insulates them from the intake/exhaust.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

edit: I read the TSB in full and it just suggests a wrap/sleeve for #3 injector. You could make this yourself out of, for example, flexible heat shielding fabric that you can find at some auto stores or even hardware stores.

Sounds like that may be my issue. Its already starting to get warm here in South Texas, and I can't find non-ethanol fuel anywhere.

stoneyredneck
Jan 14, 2011
Here is my 97

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Got a smokin' deal on some near-new BFG KM2's from craigslist. I didn't think 31's would fill up the space so much. Guess I'm going to need another leaf in the rear and +1" coils in the front, until I get my 7" long-arm and 35's anyway.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
31s look huge on an XJ. I have a lifted Explorer Sport and 31s look tiny on it.

You live in Tacoma? I think I've said this before but hit me up if you ever want to go wheeling in Tahuya. I live in Bremerton.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, I'm just across the bridge. I'll definitely have a 3" kit and some recovery points on sometime this spring. Strangely, I've never been to Tahuya yet.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Philip J Fry posted:

Got a smokin' deal on some near-new BFG KM2's from craigslist. I didn't think 31's would fill up the space so much. Guess I'm going to need another leaf in the rear and +1" coils in the front, until I get my 7" long-arm and 35's anyway.

I kinda miss my 31's. My Jeep was much more drivable with 31" mud terrains, now I have 33" swampers and driving is miserable.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
New set of Silverstars in the XJ, now we can drive the Jeep at night again.

Decided to get a new battery while we were at it as it was having some trouble starting on the lovely single digit days we had for a while, and the voltage related CEL went away, let's hope it stays away.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
what the hell is up with your burgersig

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Nevermind i found the emblems.

I am picking up a set of Neon injectors on friday when i get paid, and installing a CB in my jeep first.

Omg50BMG fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2011

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
Can anyone recommend a towing setup for a 96 Cherokee Sport? I'm not looking to tow mountains, just a smallish trailer for a move. I'm guessing less than 2k lbs.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

incredibull posted:

what the hell is up with your burgersig

Argh. I may have mentioned in another thread that the word Burger throws me into a fit of uncontrollable rage, so someone bought me that avatar. Not sure who.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

brickswereshat posted:

Can anyone recommend a towing setup for a 96 Cherokee Sport? I'm not looking to tow mountains, just a smallish trailer for a move. I'm guessing less than 2k lbs.

Might as well get a class 3 hitch since most hitch inserts for trailers are going to be for a class 3. If you're handy with wiring you can just wire up a harness off of the tail lights. There isn't enough draw for trailer signals to warrant anything more that that. If you can't do wiring or drill into the uniframe, have a shop or even UHAUL do it. Probably $300 at most for a full install.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I got a v5 uhual class 3 hitch from a local scrapper for 50 bucks. I'm stealing the wiring setup off our plow Jeep, but I'm sure you could find something worthwhile for cheap.

It's a matter of how much time you have and how much BS you want to deal with.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Yesterday, I drove the YJ for the first time in about 4 months.

This cold white poo poo on the ground is damned depressing.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
This is what I ordered:
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 6,000 lbs
T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector
Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Hitch Ball with 2" Diameter and Medium Shank, 6,000 lbs GTW - Chrome

I'm probably going to pay someone to install it. There's still a couple of feet of snow here and I don't feel like crawling in slush.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004
Well I'm going to try and mend something for the first time but I need some help. A few months ago I purhcased a 2003 Cherokee Laredo with 110,000miles on it. I am starting to hear a rotational squeak from the driver side door. It will stop whenever I put any pressure on the brakes.

Currently I'm at the stage of getting my tools together but would like some advice on what I should check first.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

jonathan posted:

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eautoworkscom-189849.htm is the harness. Jeepforums should be able to help you find part numbers for an e-code (european lighting standard) h4 housing for the cherokee.

I just did this mod and even with my Silverstars I can already see a subtle difference. I'll be getting some e-codes and H4 bulbs soon enough though. I had a weird problem where the low beams would stay on when I flicked to the highs, and then the highs only would stay on when kicking back to low but solved all that by pulling the fog light relay.

The shipping is kind of steep for just the harness...enter 'jeepforum' for a discount. :)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Deverse posted:

Well I'm going to try and mend something for the first time but I need some help. A few months ago I purhcased a 2003 Cherokee Laredo with 110,000miles on it. I am starting to hear a rotational squeak from the driver side door. It will stop whenever I put any pressure on the brakes.

Currently I'm at the stage of getting my tools together but would like some advice on what I should check first.

Pads probably. They have a wear indicator that squeaks when they're nearing their service limit. While you're in there pull and grease the slide pins and their boots.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Cracked manifolds strike again! Luckily i have a warranty on this jeep and they cover it. I'm going to have my mechanic check the motor mounts too while hes under the hood. Although im not sure how bad they are in only 59K miles.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0COrKLPcj8

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

incredibull posted:

Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0COrKLPcj8

drat that's gorgeous, I wish I could find some roads like that around here to drive on without getting beaten/stabbed to death by snowmobilers.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Yeah I felt retarded for totally forgetting my sleds.. Nothing more fun than a tow strap hooked up to a sled. I was looking to reach summit of that forest service trail, but unfortunately two guys in a Nissan hardbody were stuck going up the mountain digging themselves out with a shovel, they denied my offer of help, and they weren't able to get out of the way :downs: so we had to go back down.

Snow driving in video always looks way less challenging than it actually is.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I get enough snow driving trying to drive 45 minutes to class in Portland. Seriously I'm done with this loving winter and ready to start driving door/top less again.

That said. I'll probably be looking at getting a 4wd commuter vehicle for next winter.

In the meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the shop to call me back on my Wrangler. When I get it back I'll be figuring out how to mount this:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I replaced the brake drums and shoes on my brother in law's 1997 Cherokee.

Some asshat had put a left side adjuster on the right side of the axle so the brake shoes couldn't adjust.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I posted my Jeep for sale locally and got just about zero interest. If anyone here would be interested in buying it I would cut a deal:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/fs-99-jeep-cherokee-virginia-74096/#post826057

The mud is all washed off now and it looks pretty clean. Here is what it looks like when clean (this photo is before the shackles, spacers and add-a-leaf)

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
In URE last weekend. You can see the skid plate and the huge gently caress off diff guard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot
Is anyone in the DFW area willing to help me install tube fenders? I'll pay $100

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Bojanglesworth posted:

I posted my Jeep for sale locally and got just about zero interest. If anyone here would be interested in buying it I would cut a deal:

Where is it located? Would be all over that if it was nearby.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

In URE last weekend. You can see the skid plate and the huge gently caress off diff guard.

Is that the "rear end-Fart Head" diff guard or whatever they call it ? Looks like a giant scoop ?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
buttface. yep.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Clank posted:

Virginia. Sold it last night, for $1800. Sucks, but gently caress it money talks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The wipers on my WJ grand cherokee only work intermittently, and not the intermittent way they are meant to, they go about half way, stop, I move the switch, they go down, then I turn it back on until they get stuck again. Do these switches go bad like most other grand cherokee electrics? Is there another explanation besides bad switch?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Clank posted:

Where you at? I am putting my cherokee up for sale soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my erratic oil pressure problem has returned. At start up it's normal but it maxes out when I hit the gas and doesn't normalize until the engine's been running for 20 minutes.
So I'm thinking possibly the oil pump needs to be replaced?

Thoughts?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Will 315/75/r16 (approx. 34 1/2" diameter) cooper STTs fit on a stock JK with or without spacers? Or do i need to put a lift on there first?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Elephanthead posted:

The wipers on my WJ grand cherokee only work intermittently, and not the intermittent way they are meant to, they go about half way, stop, I move the switch, they go down, then I turn it back on until they get stuck again. Do these switches go bad like most other grand cherokee electrics? Is there another explanation besides bad switch?

The WJ switch is similar to the TJ switch, which I've had apart a couple times now. It's possible to repair it. If you want to take yours apart, here's the rundown: the stalk moves several small sliding spring-loaded copper contact plates across a few contact points. From the factory, these parts aren't lubricated as well as they should be. On mine, some of the contact surfaces had worn down and lightly corroded, so I hit everything with 600 grit sandpaper (the copper contact surfaces, not the plastic parts, and very lightly) and coated it all with dielectric grease before reassembly. Worked great since then.

Rhyno posted:

So my erratic oil pressure problem has returned. At start up it's normal but it maxes out when I hit the gas and doesn't normalize until the engine's been running for 20 minutes.
So I'm thinking possibly the oil pump needs to be replaced?

Thoughts?

If the pressure is real as verified by a mechanical gauge.. I would change the oil filter first. You could potentially develop high pressure if the filter's bypass valve is opening for whatever reason, usually a restricted filter. Otherwise, you could have a pressure relief valve stuck closed, which as far as I know is part of the oil pump in the 2.5/4.0. The oil pump is capable of building pressure way past 100PSI if the valve fails

incredibull fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minion of Cthulhu posted:

Will 315/75/r16 (approx. 34 1/2" diameter) cooper STTs fit on a stock JK with or without spacers? Or do i need to put a lift on there first?

Showroom stock ? No. Stock ride height ? sure!

You will need to do the Flat fender mod (its really easy free if you have access to a dremel tool and some cutting wheels). You will need to space the factory wheels out about 1.5", or use an aftermarket 16x8" wheel with a backspace of 4.5" or less.

You will probably need to grind off the pinch seem at the front of the rear wheel wells, and shorten the factory rock slider by about 2". I had 35" pro comp extreme mt's on mine, and they didn't touch the rock rails, but they were super close. Those tires measure roughly 33.9"

If I was only running a 35" tire, I would leave the vehicle stock height. Low center of gravity is all the rage these days.