Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WWe's starting to outstrip the two main Mexican promotions in TV ratings, and they do big numbers (although that's slipping) when they tour, despite tickets being like 3 times what CMLL or AAA charge. Funnily enough, besides the obvious of Rey and ADR, Kane's probably the most over guy down there.

Bringing in Mistico isn't necessarily an attempt to appeal to Mexico alone, though. The idea is to get someone to replace Rey as he's getting older and WWE feel he's gotten difficult to work with. Plus his injuries are piling up and he's not going to be around forever. Add to that the growth in the Hispanic population in the US, and it makes sense to try and build a few Hispanic stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

What's WWE's current standing like in Mexico?
Why is it so important to them to increase their Mexican presence?

Here's an Alberto Del Rio interview on youtube where he talks about how the WWE is huge there, that Rey and Undertaker are like gods in Mexico, and that lucha libre is to Spanish soap operas as WWE is to Hollywood.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How does wrestling do in other countries, namely Canada, Mexico (though that's been answered already mostly), and Japan? I've heard in Japan it's really a sinking ship, but I'm not sure about Canada. Is the U.S. the biggest wrestling country in the world, or does that belong to somewhere else?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Here's an Alberto Del Rio interview on youtube where he talks about how the WWE is huge there, that Rey and Undertaker are like gods in Mexico, and that lucha libre is to Spanish soap operas as WWE is to Hollywood.

I seem to recall that Rey had a lot of backlash in Mexico after he put the mask back on. Did that just blow over eventually?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

WWe's starting to outstrip the two main Mexican promotions in TV ratings, and they do big numbers (although that's slipping) when they tour, despite tickets being like 3 times what CMLL or AAA charge. Funnily enough, besides the obvious of Rey and ADR, Kane's probably the most over guy down there.

Bringing in Mistico isn't necessarily an attempt to appeal to Mexico alone, though. The idea is to get someone to replace Rey as he's getting older and WWE feel he's gotten difficult to work with. Plus his injuries are piling up and he's not going to be around forever. Add to that the growth in the Hispanic population in the US, and it makes sense to try and build a few Hispanic stars.

WWE isn't starting to outstrip CMLL and AAA, they did about 2 years ago. Current ratings look like: Raw 9~ Smackdown High 8s, AAA 3~ and CMLL in the 2s. The AAA and CMLL ratings are at near test pattern levels for the network they are on.

WWE is crushing its Mexican competition and it may honestly lead to the death of major league lucha libre in the next 2-3 years. The live gates are a bit deceptive though. WWE comes to town twice a year while the native promotions run their towns regularly, and Mexico City has several weekly cards. WWE can get away with the higher prices as they don't come very often. A trend is emerging that shows ticket sales for AAA and CMLL dropping badly when WWE has been in a town recently due to their event sucking up all of the money people are willing to spend on wrestling for weeks.

quote:

How does wrestling do in other countries, namely Canada, Mexico (though that's been answered already mostly), and Japan? I've heard in Japan it's really a sinking ship, but I'm not sure about Canada. Is the U.S. the biggest wrestling country in the world, or does that belong to somewhere else?

Currently poorly except for WWE. Japan is declining year by year and I just went over Mexico. Canada doesn't have major league wrestling of its own and WWE's last tour was in smaller buildings than usual as their gates haven't been too good either. Europe has successful tours where American Pro Wrestling Rampage brings in former WWE talent and some indie guys and draw 2-3,000 people. WWE and TNA both do well there although TNA's last tour was down.

In the past the US hasn't always been the biggest market. It clearly is now and has been since the late 90s. In the early to mid 90s, the US was #3 behind Japan and Mexico. In some years Japan was hotter, in some years Mexico was hotter.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
What is the cause for Japan's decline? Is it related to Misawa's death, lack of huge stars, NOAH losing it's TV deal, or a little bit of everything?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BillyMays posted:

What is the cause for Japan's decline? Is it related to Misawa's death, lack of huge stars, NOAH losing it's TV deal, or a little bit of everything?

After Kobashi defeated cancer in a Loser Leaves Town match, people realized that it was never going to get any better than what they'd just seen.

In all seriousness though, it's probably just a little bit of everything coupled with the growing ability of people to access a huge amount of various types of content whenever and however they choose.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

The WWE has been mulling over the possibility of having a Wrestlemania in Mexico 'within 3 years' for the last 6 years now. From what I can recall the real part that vexes them is they want it to really sell as an event but the country doesn't really bring in significant PPV buys there because of the pricing of their product and the country is so poor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BillyMays posted:

The growth of MMA, the aging of stars with no one of equal status to replace them, the death of Misawa, and a growing disinterest in combat sports in general.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
-At EC, Del RIo put the cross arm breaker on Edge's right arm, but immediately after, he was selling the left arm.
-At Raw, Morrison was selling the right leg before the match, but Punk kept going after the left leg, so he started selling that.

Now, I know they work left, but usually they aren't this drat sloppy about selling. Did anyone notice these? Any other fuckups like this that will probably be/already have been pointed out by Maffew?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

The A-Team Van posted:

-At EC, Del RIo put the cross arm breaker on Edge's right arm, but immediately after, he was selling the left arm.
-At Raw, Morrison was selling the right leg before the match, but Punk kept going after the left leg, so he started selling that.

Now, I know they work left, but usually they aren't this drat sloppy about selling. Did anyone notice these? Any other fuckups like this that will probably be/already have been pointed out by Maffew?

In American wrestling you're taught to work the left side, in lucha you're taught to work the right side, so that's probably the disparity for Del Rio and Edge. JoMo/Punk is just a big ol' mistake. Although you could argue that JoMo's entire body was hosed up so it didn't matter what body part Punk worked.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I enjoyed Christian selling the healed pectoral after delivering the Killswitch to ADR. It really drew me in. Sometimes they get selling right :)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Is Abdullah the Butcher's Restaurant Still Open?

warbrides
May 11, 2009

What was Rey doing in the time between WCW dying and making his WWE debut? Was he even at WCW when it was bought out? I watched WCW Worldwide from 1999 and he was one of my favourites from that period.

Also, where the gently caress is Blitzkrieg and has he done anything with WWE? I loved that guy.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

warbrides posted:

What was Rey doing in the time between WCW dying and making his WWE debut? Was he even at WCW when it was bought out? I watched WCW Worldwide from 1999 and he was one of my favourites from that period.

Also, where the gently caress is Blitzkrieg and has he done anything with WWE? I loved that guy.

Rey worked the indies for a bit and did some CMLL shows.

Blitzkrieg retired and became a computer technician.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

warbrides posted:

As Bald-n-Nekkid said, indie shows. Including (at IWA: Mid South of all places) an unmasked appearance in a triple threat against Eddie Guerrero and CM Punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NTtAVWUd_0

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

apsouthern posted:

As Bald-n-Nekkid said, indie shows. Including (at IWA: Mid South of all places) an unmasked appearance in a triple threat against Eddie Guerrero and CM Punk

IWA:MS was big in the early 2000s. Then people realized that Ian Rotten was a bigger piece of poo poo than they thought and got out.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KungFu Grip posted:

Is Abdullah the Butcher's Restaurant Still Open?

I think so, my wife went there last year when she was visiting some friends in Atlanta. Apparently Abdullah just sits in a booth while he is there and will invite people to come over and talk to him, take pictures etc...

The food on the other hand is pretty assy.

warbrides
May 11, 2009

apsouthern posted:

wow, thanks for sharing.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Mistico's signing has made me curious. How does someone who speaks no English put together a match with an English speaking wrestler? Do they have to plan it out all beforehand using a translator, and if so, what if something happens that causes them to have to change the finish on the fly? My understanding is that they usually come up with the spots mid-match, but I don't know how feasible that is with the language barrier?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think most american wrestlers probably know what a suplexo is.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But seriously I doubt its as much of a barrier as you think it is, most of the moves have names that are probably either the same or similar in english and spanish and for more complicated spots they probably have a translator that can talk them through them or they figure out enough words over the years to piece it together in a way that makes sense.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Pretty sure they'll just make sure to use a ref that speaks spanish if it should really be a problem.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Most moves are named in the language of the country from which they originated, and there's hand signals and things like that wrestlers use to indicate certain basic stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sugar Blaster posted:

Most moves are named in the language of the country from which they originated, and there's hand signals and things like that wrestlers use to indicate certain basic stuff.

As best I can tell from the Wrestling Stars of the 80s DVD, Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair communicated entirely in taps.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Probably a bunch of wrestlers who speak Spanish when you don't suspect it too.

Watch someone like Heath Slater know Spanish. Or JTG.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Would someone step through for me the traditional chronological order of a wrestling match? What exactly is the shine, how can I tell when it starts, and all the other stuff (shine is the only term I know by name)? I don't hear too many people talk about it here much, but it pops up every once and a while and I'm curious about it.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

Would someone step through for me the traditional chronological order of a wrestling match? What exactly is the shine, how can I tell when it starts, and all the other stuff (shine is the only term I know by name)? I don't hear too many people talk about it here much, but it pops up every once and a while and I'm curious about it.

To break it down very simply, the classic formula goes as follows:

1. The babyface starts out in control and dominates the first few minutes of a match
2. Either the face makes a mistake and hurts himself, or the heel pulls a minor dastardly act (eye poke, low blow, hair pull - something small that probably wouldn't get DQ'd and certainly wouldn't lead straight to a finish).
3. The heel dominates the body of the match. This is why you always want your heels to be good wrestlers - because you want guys you can count on to keep this part of the match entertaining.
4. The babyface makes his comeback - either after the heel makes a mistake, or just by Hulking up out of a hold or reversing a move.
5. The finish - either the face hits his finisher for the win, or the heel cheats to halt the comeback and gets the win.

Parts 2-4 can be repeated a few times, depending on the length of the match.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

CSammich nailed it, but to use wrestling terms, when the babyface is in control thats the shine. When the heel in in control, that's heat.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 5, 2016

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Was there anyone in the IWC that picked up the ball from CRZ as far as detailed recaps of the weekly shows after he stopped doing it? I always enjoy going back and re-reading those, and am hoping that someone else is/was out there.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

JPrime posted:

Was there anyone in the IWC that picked up the ball from CRZ as far as detailed recaps of the weekly shows after he stopped doing it? I always enjoy going back and re-reading those, and am hoping that someone else is/was out there.

Maybe https://www.thewrestlingfan.com ? Don't know if it's similar to CRZ or not. I tried looking up an old CRZ report but there sure were a lot of words in it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I tried looking up an old CRZ report but there sure were a lot of words in it.

That's the point. A CRZ report tells you everything that happens.

Everything.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lone Goat posted:

That's the point. A CRZ report tells you everything that happens.

Everything.

The biggest problem I have with CRZ recaps is trying to decode the clever nicknames he gave everyone. At the time it was ok but over a decade later...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So it's basically pro wrestling's Television Without Pity?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

So it's basically pro wrestling's Television Without Pity?

Wouldn't that be Scott Keith?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

The biggest problem I have with CRZ recaps is trying to decode the clever nicknames he gave everyone. At the time it was ok but over a decade later...

Especially when you run into things like calling Ernest Miller "The Cat" and calling the Kat "Ernest Miller".

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

bobkatt013 posted:

Wouldn't that be Scott Keith?

No because the writers at TWOP actually watch the shows and follow the product.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

Thanks, I just checked it out, I don't know I keep on getting the same impression from different sources but it's really hard to for me to imagine wrestling being as over anywhere as it is there.

The impression I get is it's more or less their national sport. Is this a correct kind of impression? I can't think of any sports that are big in Mexico other than soccer.

Why does everyone dislike the Rock's sharp shooter? I love it personally, is it because he doesn't pull back to make it look like a painful stretch like Bret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

The growth of MMA

This might not have hurt so bad if Inoki hadn't made his top stars fight in legit MMA matches and thus expose themselves

Sue Denim posted:

Why does everyone dislike the Rock's sharp shooter? I love it personally, is it because he doesn't pull back to make it look like a painful stretch like Bret?

They hate that it looks so loose and that he screams while doing it. I never really had a problem with it.