Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

Is it normal to have to power cycle my cable modem and/or router once or twice a week? My internet keeps going out.

No.

Do a bit of troubleshooting by checking the routers functions and ask here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DVD Drive posted:

What's that thing that happens to some Jews where when they're talking their voice sometimes gets lower and it sounds almost like they're yawning? Is it some kind of disorder?

I'd love to see a clip of an example. Israeli Jews? New Yorker Jews? Russian Jews?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

Is it normal to have to power cycle my cable modem and/or router once or twice a week? My internet keeps going out.

are you with comcast, and you use a bittorrent client?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a better mp3 manager than MediaMonkey? I've been using it for quite a while and now I am kind of sick of it. The interface is really clunky and if I add 50 songs it could take me over an hour making sure everything is labeled properly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drevoak posted:

Is there a better mp3 manager than MediaMonkey? I've been using it for quite a while and now I am kind of sick of it. The interface is really clunky and if I add 50 songs it could take me over an hour making sure everything is labeled properly.

Define "mp3 manager."

If you want a free, well-organized, lightweight, easy to use music organizer and player, I recommend foobar2000. If you want something that does all of that and can sync to your mp3 device, then give Mozilla Songbird a spin. I'm not sure how good it is for doing that though, but Mozilla products tend to be pretty solid.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I'm looking for the ID on the song deatures at 22:28 on this nifty little compilation I saw on Reddit:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/1-Singles-Through-the-Years-Five-Second-Version-3242

It's one of those songs you can't go a year without hearing somehow, but I just have a bunch of garbled nothing when I recall the chorus in my mind. Anyone know what is is. That thing says "5 seconds of every number one" when the song I want to ID is only like a second :saddowns:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

John Q Russia posted:

I'm looking for the ID on the song deatures at 22:28 on this nifty little compilation I saw on Reddit:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/1-Singles-Through-the-Years-Five-Second-Version-3242

It's one of those songs you can't go a year without hearing somehow, but I just have a bunch of garbled nothing when I recall the chorus in my mind. Anyone know what is is. That thing says "5 seconds of every number one" when the song I want to ID is only like a second :saddowns:

Mama Told Me Not to Come, Three Dog Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaQzQAlNn4

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

thelightguy posted:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101016104847AAmIvwk

All the companies I know of (AmEx, citibank, and paypal) that offered that service have discontinued it. The rise of payment processors more suited to internet use, such as PayPal, Amazon Payments, and Google Checkout have rendered one-off credit card numbers obsolete. (Which were always a lousy hack designed to provide an extra measure of security to a payment system that was never meant to be used without a physical presence anyway.)

So let me repeat,

Gotcha. I appreciate the effort you put into getting the idea into my thick head head. I thought others had taken up the slack, but instead everyone has stopped doing that now. This, I did not know. Amazon Payments will be added to my other choices (Google Checkout, Paypal)

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Gravity Pike posted:

Mama Told Me Not to Come, Three Dog Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaQzQAlNn4

Thank you Gravity Pike! That was bothering me.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008
When you were a kid, did you ever feel disappointed to receive a product that was labelled 'Brand Name: For Kids!' as if you were just given the crappy version of whatever that thing was?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

No.

Do a bit of troubleshooting by checking the routers functions and ask here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

How would I go about checking router functions? I'm running DD-WRT.

redreader posted:

are you with comcast, and you use a bittorrent client?

Time Warner, through Roadrunner, and yes I am using a bittorrent client.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Define "mp3 manager."

If you want a free, well-organized, lightweight, easy to use music organizer and player, I recommend foobar2000. If you want something that does all of that and can sync to your mp3 device, then give Mozilla Songbird a spin. I'm not sure how good it is for doing that though, but Mozilla products tend to be pretty solid.
Just to clarify things, Songbird is in no way a Mozilla product. It's developed by a fluctuating group of extension developers that go by the name "Pioneers of the Inevitable". It's a glorified set of media player/manager/iPod sync extensions skinned & shoehorned into Firefox's liberal plugin system. It's pretty bloated, has the normal Firefox memory leak problems, and crapperware in most ways.

Foobar2k is an all around awesome media player though, low resource, fully (ridiculously) customizable, and I'm sure has a few options for iPod Sync as well as library management.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

hooah posted:

How would I go about checking router functions? I'm running DD-WRT.

Time Warner, through Roadrunner, and yes I am using a bittorrent client.

I have the same problem if it makes you feel better, though not as frequent (usually, though it can be worse), and a friend who has Roadrunner who's reported similar problems from time to time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
About the router/net connection issue: I have it when I torrent and when I don't torrent it doesn't happen. It seems to happen (for me) when I'm on cable. I've used the same router on ADSL before and never had that problem, but when I switched to comcast this problem started appearing. Reset my router and modem and it's all ok until I start torrenting again. I suspect it's the ISP detecting that I'm torrenting, and killing my connection.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

I suspect it's the ISP detecting that I'm torrenting, and killing my connection.

That's exactly right, though they've lost a court battle on this matter, I believe it's still in appeals. Try googling "comcast torrent fix".

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

DVD Drive posted:

Is there a website where you can set up a list of tv shows you want to know when their next season will start, instead of having to check each show's Wikipedia page or whatever?

I use followmy.tv and it's pretty good.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are the Haribo gummy soda bottles supposed to smell like feet that've been bathed in rc cola?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

revolther posted:

Just to clarify things, Songbird is in no way a Mozilla product. It's developed by a fluctuating group of extension developers that go by the name "Pioneers of the Inevitable". It's a glorified set of media player/manager/iPod sync extensions skinned & shoehorned into Firefox's liberal plugin system. It's pretty bloated, has the normal Firefox memory leak problems, and crapperware in most ways.

Dang, wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads up.

For the record though, Firefox doesn't have a memory leak anymore as far as I know. Yes, it eats up more memory with continuous use, but it's intentional and for caching reasons and can be disabled entirely.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Can you get a ticket for backing into a parking space on private property? I know you can on public property but a friend was telling me that "once there is a sign" you can't do anything about it. So if there is a sign in a lot that says no silver cars and you park your silver car there you can get ticketed/towed?

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

b0nes posted:

Can you get a ticket for backing into a parking space on private property? I know you can on public property but a friend was telling me that "once there is a sign" you can't do anything about it. So if there is a sign in a lot that says no silver cars and you park your silver car there you can get ticketed/towed?

I've never seen a ticket from such a thing, but you can certainly get towed. And then paying to retrieve your car from the tow lot might end up costing more than a ticket would have.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

b0nes posted:

My understanding is that if you get towed on private property, you can just go and retrieve your car because you didn't authorize the tow. (This doesn't count for city handicapped parking on private property.) And you can't get a ticket.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redreader posted:

About the router/net connection issue: I have it when I torrent and when I don't torrent it doesn't happen. It seems to happen (for me) when I'm on cable. I've used the same router on ADSL before and never had that problem, but when I switched to comcast this problem started appearing. Reset my router and modem and it's all ok until I start torrenting again. I suspect it's the ISP detecting that I'm torrenting, and killing my connection.

On cable it's easier to build up more connections which can clog up your router's memory too. And once that happens, your connection will go to poo poo until the memory gets cleared out, usually by power cycling.

Consider upgrading to a newer router, it really should help.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a 8' x 3' window in my bedroom loft. It has blinds, but in the morning the sun just goes right through them. What do you think the most cheapest and efficient way to cover up the window would be? I'm thinking of buying sheets of construction papers but I need a second opinion.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

fishmech posted:

On cable it's easier to build up more connections which can clog up your router's memory too. And once that happens, your connection will go to poo poo until the memory gets cleared out, usually by power cycling.

Consider upgrading to a newer router, it really should help.

This is the most likely scenario if the router is failing only when torrenting.

An easy way to diagnose this is to observe your max upload (download a torrent with a lot of seeds and peers) and then set your max upload to ~50% and/or find your setting for maximum connections and half it.

Cable modems are notorious for this with torrents.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 25, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 8' x 3' window in my bedroom loft. It has blinds, but in the morning the sun just goes right through them. What do you think the most cheapest and efficient way to cover up the window would be? I'm thinking of buying sheets of construction papers but I need a second opinion.

If you don't care about how it looks; tin foil is the tweaker approved way to block out 100% of light.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Busy Bee posted:

The simplest solution is to buy a large, somewhat dark, bedsheet. If your window is mounted within a steel or iron frame within the wall (usually covered by plaster or some drywall) all you need to put it on is a set of decently strong magnets, too.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

I had the same problem in my bedroom. I ended up buying some frosted window tint for bathroom windows from the hardware store for like $14 and putting it up in the window. It looks great and really diffuses the light enough for the blinds to be effective. It's not blacked out but definitely dimmer.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

redreader posted:

My question is about USA and 'freedom of speech'. As far as I can tell, the only difference between USA and other first world countries is that some speech is classified 'hate speech' in other countries, that you can say in the USA. WBC would not be legal in most first world countries. Is that the only difference? I mean, you can say you 'loving hate the queen' or whatever in the UK and I don't think it's illegal, is it?

In Germany you can definitely get a ticket for calling a police officer "a loving nazi" and such. I think tickets go up to a couple thousand dollars too if I remember right.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Busy Bee posted:

Judging by the fact that you're thinking of buying construction paper, I imagine you don't give a gently caress how it looks.

Dark contact paper works but will be a bitch to remove. You can get light-blocking curtains fairly cheap at Wal-mart or Target if you don't want it to look like a drug den, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What FLAC>MP3 converters are out there for free? Any google searches point to actual FLAC to MP3 converting programs, but they cost 30$ after you do your "3 Free Conversions". Im sure theres some small program out there that does this conversion and more, for the dirt low price of free. Does any program come to mind?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Off the top of my head, Audacity will open FLAC files and lets you save as mp3s. It's all opensource freeware, though I think you have to download the free LameMP3 plugin separately

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Avocadoes posted:

What FLAC>MP3 converters are out there for free? Any google searches point to actual FLAC to MP3 converting programs, but they cost 30$ after you do your "3 Free Conversions". Im sure theres some small program out there that does this conversion and more, for the dirt low price of free. Does any program come to mind?

foobar2000 can do this, but as revolther stated you have to get the lame codec separately.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
We have an old Sony Trinitron kv32fx65u TV and we're trying to find out the weight of it for a new TV stand. I can't find the information for it anywhere. It's a big, huge thing and it weighs a shitload but that's not really exact enough! Can anyone tell me where on earth we can find this information out?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I've got a blog on Wordpress (pretty small, mostly friends who read it), and this last week I've been getting referrals from URL shortening sites, which I've never had before.

What gives?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Rathen posted:

We have an old Sony Trinitron kv32fx65u TV and we're trying to find out the weight of it for a new TV stand. I can't find the information for it anywhere. It's a big, huge thing and it weighs a shitload but that's not really exact enough! Can anyone tell me where on earth we can find this information out?
This review leads me to believe it's about 64Kg or 141-ish pounds.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Yeah, around 145 pounds.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Is there an online thesaurus out there that actually gives you words that have the same suffix as the word you put in? For instance, if I searched for 'having', I'd want it to show me 'possessing', instead of reducing it to 'have' and showing me 'possess'.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

elbow posted:

I've got a blog on Wordpress (pretty small, mostly friends who read it), and this last week I've been getting referrals from URL shortening sites, which I've never had before.

What gives?

I don't know what's going on exactly, but going to a couple of those shortened links goes to some dodgy websites rather than your blog.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone have any information on a Fisher Price set called Educational Blocks Step 3? The only thing I could find on the web was a site that told me what came in the box and about the name change.

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/l_fp_set/toy-pages/0-99/79-Young-Bldrs-blocks.html

Everything except the box it came in has never been exposed so the pieces are still the way they were they day they shipped out. I'm trying to scrape enough money to get by so I thought I might try and sell it if it's worth anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playing DotA
Dec 8, 2005
I have a philosophical question: If someone is an atheist, and they don't believe in a supreme being or an afterlife, or maybe they don't identify themselves as belonging in a certain group as believing in anything, then what is the point of living or trying to live a long life? Your memories will turn to dirt. If you live to see your great grandchildren, you get pleasure from it, and your grandchildren will get pleasure from it too, but after you die they will be sad for a little while but when they die that chapter ceases to exist. There is no difference in the life of a 15 year old who dues or a 115 year old who dies because death is a guarantee. The difference is in the lives your presence changes, either good or bad.

I am not trying to be morbid or e/n or anything like that. The idea just popped in my head this morning.